? about Air and Weather

KenShu

Looking at Viking's 15-day Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise in May.

First question: is the cruise line's air arrangement usually better than providing air travel on my own? I'm expecting it's a cost vs. convenience balance, but need some good experienced coaching.

Second: What's the weather like on this route in late May? Will we be freezing the whole time, or shirt & sweaters weather?

I'm new to the forum, and anticipating some great value from your breadth of experiences and objectivity!

Thanks in advance,

KenShu

Do a search for Viking Air on this board. I believe there were some complaints/criticisms about using Viking for air connections. Don't recall what the issues were.

Also there could be a difference in the weather from the beginning of May till the end of May. It may be cooler in the North and warmer as you travel South. It won't be 'freezing' but you may need to dress in layers. Mornings and evening will be cooler but the afternoons may be nice.

We've gone to Germany many times and always go late May to/thru June. We think it's a great time to go.

We used Viking Custom air for our cruise this past November. At the time Viking's air was $795 + $50 pp for customer air. We opted for customer air and were able to pick our flights. Checking United's website at the time that same flight was $1181 pp had we booked on our own. Our savings was considerable.

Looking at Viking's 15-day Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise in May.

Second: What's the weather like on this route in late May? Will we be freezing the whole time, or shirt & sweaters weather?

I'm new to the forum, and anticipating some great value from your breadth of experiences and objectivity!

Thanks in advance,

KenShu

May is a beautiful month in Europe but I would reccomend to take the cruise from East to West ,not from Amsterdam East as you mention as the weather will follow you W-E and if that weather is rain that's what you' have the whole trip since that's how weather moves in Europe.;)

May is a beautiful month in Europe but I would reccomend to take the cruise from East to West ,not from Amsterdam East as you mention as the weather will follow you W-E and if that weather is rain that's what you' have the whole trip since that's how weather moves in Europe.;)

I've read what you say from a number of posters but I'm not so sure that it's totally correct. We travelled Amsterdam to Budapest in September 2011 and it was raining in Amsterdam when we departed but by Koln it was breaking up and after that the weather to Budapest was near to perfect. Weather patterns do differ during different weather conditions.

We've always used "their" air, except when we stayed a few days on our own. We were not disappointed with their air, but we've always flown out of JFK, so pretty much any option is OK. As far as price, price out what it would cost you to do it on your own compared to their air, even add on the customize sur-charge and see which is a better price, and book whichever, accordingly.

KenShu,

Where in the US are you from? Let´s say when you´re from Minnesota you might feel hot in May in the Netherlands and Germany. If you´re from Florida you might freeze a little ;)!

It´s springtime and it can be anything between 50 and 80°F...

steamboats

Archived