Bari excursions on your own?

cherylterr

Hi

I know this is not a direct answer to your question but we were originally just going to do Bari on our own as it was quite easy to get into town from where the ship was docked but at the last minute we decided to do a ship tour (which we never normally do). The tour we did was to Matera it now happens to be one of the best tours we have ever done - Matera is an amazing place so if you have never done it or seen it and it is offered by your ship I would seriously consider having a look at it.

Regards

pkw

Please tell me more about your tour to Bari. We will be there in late April and had also planned to just walk around the town. I just checked and there is a ship excursion to the Sassi in Matera, but there is no price listed yet. Is this what you saw? Any photos you could share? The MSC website says it is an hour drive each way and the tour is for 4 hours.

Ordinarily we either private tours or DIY. It's rare we will do a ship's tour.

Visited Bari in October 2011. I had considered doing a ship's tour and found this article on Matera.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/italy-hotels-traveler/

Ultimately decided to just have an easy day walking around Bari. It was easy to walk to the old part of town. Easy to get lost in the old part of town too. Had fun watching the ladies make pasta. As usual watch out for scooters! Visited the old castle which was interesting but not a "not to be missed". Ticket seller tried to keep my change but that didn't work out for him. Walked in to the new part of Bari and got completely turned around. If I was doing it again, I'd probably skip the new part of town and just do a big loop around the old town and the waterfront.

Archived