Where is best snorkeling.....Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan or Belize?

luv2gonow

Hi,

Soooo excited for these ports. Definately wanted to snorkel at least once. Was wondering best place to go.

Also any particular tours that are awesome would be appreciated:D

Thanks

Kerri

The best "snorkeling" is Cozumel. Do a snorkel excursion to the Columbia or Palancar reef and you will not regret it.

In Belize there are a few good snorkel places but the reef is deeper and is one of the best places in the world for a "diver". Places like Caulker Cay are decent snorkeling spots.

Costa Maya isn't that great for snorkeling.

Take care,

Mike

Hi,

Soooo excited for these ports. Definately wanted to snorkel at least once. Was wondering best place to go.

Thanks

Kerri

I would have to vote for Belize. We used Coral Breeze and did a snorkeling tour to the barrier reef. It was not that deep at all where they took us and it was the best place I have ever been snorkeling. I have snorkeled in Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, etc..... I have been diving in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. Cozumel would be my second vote.

DaveO

For me it would be Cozumel, Belize, Roataan then lastly Costa Maya...

We like Chakanaab for snorkeling in Cozumel, Belize Cay Calker, Roataan I have done Half moon (do not waste your time at the beach by the ski lifts). and Costa maya seems like the water is cloudy and brown.:)

Belize if you snorkel off Cay Caulker is absolutely #1. An absolutely wonderful experience. Can be a little rough when the surf is high though.

Roatan we normally go to Upchaya (sp?) it is always a great day, never seen a lot of surf. Lot of good sealife to be seen. Last time we were the only people on the boat, talk about one on one with the boat captain,

Cozumel has a few good reefs but nothing to compare with Belize, also you have do deal with the strong currrent. Going from the shore at Chankanab or the Money Bar is always a disappointment although things are very slowly coming back. Maybe another ten or fifteen years?

I don't know about Costa Maya.

One extra I will throw in is the reef at Montego Bay. If the wind has not been blowing strongly and you go out there about 9 or 10 in the morning the water is clear and there is a lot to be seen. Last time we took a private excursion, only three of us in the water and it was great.

What do you want to see? Coral? Fish? Shark?

I think the best snorkeling is Roatan, hands down.

I thought the Shark Ray Alley tour in Belize was just ok. They do have some huge brain coral and nice fish, but it was not great, and I felt so rushed. The sharks were just some nurse sharks swarming around the bait they fed them.

Cozumel has really good snorkeling if you want to see a variety of fish. It is good snorkeling. You can snorkel off the shore in Chankanaab or I think SUnset beach, or take a tour out to the reef.

Roatan has lots of fish and coral. You can swim right out off of the beach, or take a boat out further. Either way there is so much to see. Each time I go I am in awe. I snorkel at my leisure and I see more variety of fish, crabs, eels, variety of coral, etc. in Roatan than in Cozumel and Belize combined. Snorkeling in Roatan should be on everyone's bucket list. :D

I'd lean slightly toward Belize. Shark/Ray Alley off Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker is pretty cool. I've seen a greater variety of bigger fish in Belize than Roatan or Cozumel. We saw spotted eagle rays, big grouper, squid and other fish in Belize. The only knock on Belize is, everything there requires a boat where you can easily snorkel from shore at Roatan or Cozumel.

Having snorkeled all of the above except for Columbia and Palancar reefs in Cozumel, Tabayana (West Bay) or Half Moon Bay in Roatan would be my first choice. There is also a resort on the near side of the island that has day passes for cruise ship visitors and is supposed to have really good diving and snorkeling, I can't remember the name. Costa Maya is ok if you take a boat, but not so good from shore. Belize is good if you take the lo-o-ong boat ride to Caye Caulker or flight to Ambergris Caye, but no good snorkeling close to Belize City. Cozumel has decent snorkeling from shore, best is at Money Bar (Dzul Ha) or Corona Beach Club (free with food/drink purchase) or Chankanaab (not quite as good, $21 admission fee). There is a boat snorkel tour that leaves from Money Bar twice a day to Palancar and Columbia for $45, which I plan to try week after next. I would second the recommendation of Victor Bodden tours on Roatan. He will take you wherever you want to go, watch your stuff while you snorkel, all for a reasonable price. Be careful to not confuse West Bay (Tabayana and surrounding area) with West End. A stop at Yaba Ding Ding is interesting for local crafts and Lenca pottery.

first choice is roatan at tabayana right from shore.... Cozumel is second.... but there can be swift currents in cozumel .. there is a lot of drift snorkeling in cozumel... chankanab park in Cozumel is ok from the shore . as is money bar...

first choice is roatan at tabayana right from shore.... Cozumel is second.... but there can be swift currents in cozumel .. there is a lot of drift snorkeling in cozumel... chankanab park in Cozumel is ok from the shore . as is money bar...

Ahh. We love the money bar!! Great burritos ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I disagree with a poster above, we thought Costa Maya was great. Roatan was a good second.

I guess the day can vary, Costa Maya was horrible in April of '12. Lots of grass and the beach we will on had lots of garbage. Under the water was thousands of little packages of white powder. (I have a picture somewhere)

Hi,

Thanks

Kerri

We have snorkeled these ports numerous times and with various tour operators.

The conditions and tours can vary greatly from weather conditions, amount of people on the tour, marine life, visibility, etc etc. It also depends on your past experience and expectations. I prefer boat snorkeling and with few others on the tour.

Cozumel - Eagle Ray Divers 3 reef snorkel. (Columbia and Palancar reefs) We have used several times, spent lots of time in the water, and have enjoyed them always.

Roatan - We have snorkeled West End, the north shore and the south shore. Would stay away from shore snorkeling at Tabayana. Book with Upachaya, Sealegs or Subway but definitely snorkel from a boat

Belize - We have snorkelled many times with Coral Breezes to Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. Those snorkel tours have been on some occasions the best we have done and on other occasions they have been the worst tours.

Costa Maya - the snorkelling was fun from Mahahual. Take a ride out in a small fishing boat ($20) to the small reefs, which is good for

about an hour.

• 1 year later...
The best "snorkeling" is Cozumel. Do a snorkel excursion to the Columbia or Palancar reef and you will not regret it.

In Belize there are a few good snorkel places but the reef is deeper and is one of the best places in the world for a "diver". Places like Caulker Cay are decent snorkeling spots.

Costa Maya isn't that great for snorkeling.

Take care,

Mike

can you tell me more about palancar reef snroekling

Cozumel has a reef that is getting more damaged by tourism every day as well as Roatan. Roatan still has the best snorkelling of the 4 ports IMHO. I liked snorkelling in Belize but they are extremely protective of their reef, I had to follow a tour guide, and they didn't really let us go off on our own to explore.

• 3 weeks later...

I would vote for Roatan, we did the Maya Key Private Island where the snorkeling was amazing. The Private Island was pretty boring but if you are just wanting to snorkel it is great.

In Cozumel, we snorkeled of the beach at Playa Palancar and it was okay. no reef there but lots of fish, starfish, and two in our group saw a stingray. It is also a nice beach with great food!

• 2 weeks later...
Belize if you snorkel off Cay Caulker is absolutely #1. An absolutely wonderful experience. Can be a little rough when the surf is high though.

Roatan we normally go to Upchaya (sp?) it is always a great day, never seen a lot of surf. Lot of good sealife to be seen. Last time we were the only people on the boat, talk about one on one with the boat captain,

Hi, how did you arrange your snorkeling at Roatan. How expensive was it and do you remember the name of the outfit?