MDR: Dress Code

tem0627

On formal night would it be fine if my bf just wore a button down with tie, no jacket? Or do several men wear jackets on formal night??

It is "permissible" to wear just the the shirt and tie. And it is slowly becoming more common on Carnival ships. But the majority of men still wear jackets. And the longer the cruise, the higher the percentage who choose to dress properly in suits and ties, or even tuxes.

Just remember that some of these fellows who advocate dressing down are merely trying to convince themselves, that they were properly dressed, when all they did was just barely avoid being tossed out of the dining room. And they are now laying THAT down as proof they were dressed appropriately....It's not. They were tolerated. Not approved of.

But give them time. If they can convince you and other newbies, to keep showing up at the Elegant Night dinners, in barely tolerable clothing, polos and khakis will eventually it will become standard "formal" wear. On Carnival that is. That remains inappropriate on all other cruise lines.

So make your choice. If you only want to eat, and if merely being "tolerated" is enough for you, wear whatever.

It is "permissible" to wear just the the shirt and tie. And it is slowly becoming more common on Carnival ships. But the majority of men still wear jackets. And the longer the cruise, the higher the percentage who choose to dress properly in suits and ties, or even tuxes.

Just remember that some of these fellows who advocate dressing down are merely trying to convince themselves, that they were properly dressed, when all they did was just barely avoid being tossed out of the dining room. And they are now laying THAT down as proof they were dressed appropriately....It's not. They were tolerated. Not approved of.

But give them time. If they can convince you and other newbies, to keep showing up at the Elegant Night dinners, in barely tolerable clothing, polos and khakis will eventually it will become standard "formal" wear. On Carnival that is. That remains inappropriate on all other cruise lines.

So make your choice. If you only want to eat, and if merely being "tolerated" is enough for you, wear whatever.

(Standing ovation)....

It's not any different than those who make it seem like 99% of the people will be dressed to the nines and try to convince people that if they aren't wearing full formal they will stand out and be uncomfortable.

I saw a mix on both carnival and royal. I don't think anyone would be out of place dressed up and I don't think anyone would be out of place not dressed up.

These threads can be down right comical as a first time traveller on a cruise line to read.

I've seen "formal" pictures posted but never actually seen many snap shots taken during dinner in the MDR on elegant night as proof for anyone's conviction.

Maybe everyone's argument would have a little more impact if there were actually pictures posted as proof of your statement.

It's not any different than those who make it seem like 99% of the people will be dressed to the nines and try to convince people that if they aren't wearing full formal they will stand out and be uncomfortable.

I saw a mix on both carnival and royal. I don't think anyone would be out of place dressed up and I don't think anyone would be out of place not dressed up.

I agree with you in regards to Carnival and Royal. However, the times we have cruised Princess it was definitely dressing to the nines. At least half of the men wore tuxes and the rest suits and the ladies brought out the dresses and bling.

But with Carnival almost anything seems to go which is OK with me too.

Hello Carnivaluver,

I saw your response when you posted but figured even if I had photos of our group on formal nights, it would prove nothing to you. But your idea really is good. Photos of formal nights on Carnival cruises would really help the OP know what is really worn. So I suggest he ( and you too ) do a quick search on Google for "photos of formal night on Carnival cruises" and see what comes up.

I did, and there are lots of photos there. Sure there are a few misfiled shots, but you can easily see the vast majority of men in the photos are in suits, and the ladies in gowns and very dressy dress.

Change that search to read "photos of Elegant night on Carnival cruises" and the results are more of a jumble of anything cruise related, but still far more suits than not.

That's the best "proof" the OP will get, until he has the evidence of his own eyes, on the ship.

In the category of "there's always a bright side," I enjoy standing out from the crowd when I wear my formal gowns. :) I'll keep wearing them on formal/elegant/whatever nights until they outlaw fancy things, even if I'm the only one on the whole ship.

Hello Carnivaluver,

I saw your response when you posted but figured even if I had photos of our group on formal nights, it would prove nothing to you. But your idea really is good. Photos of formal nights on Carnival cruises would really help the OP know what is really worn. So I suggest he ( and you too ) do a quick search on Google for "photos of formal night on Carnival cruises" and see what comes up.

I did, and there are lots of photos there. Sure there are a few misfiled shots, but you can easily see the vast majority of men in the photos are in suits, and the ladies in gowns and very dressy dress.

Change that search to read "photos of Elegant night on Carnival cruises" and the results are more of a jumble of anything cruise related, but still far more suits than not.

That's the best "proof" the OP will get, until he has the evidence of his own eyes, on the ship.

Actually it was me who suggested MDR photos. And I have done already exactly what you suggest. See the quote from my post.

"I've seen "formal" pictures posted but never actually seen many snap shots taken during dinner in the MDR". If I do the exact same quotes only using NCL to search images, I come up with the same sort of photos as Carnival (people dressed to the 9's). But I am very aware that, that is not the majority or large percentage in the MDR on NCL on their designated dress up or not night, but those that wish to have formal photographs taken, or those that wish a picture when they are all dolled up.

So at this point as far as our Carnival cruise goes, due to the frustration of getting a true answer. I will go half way between and pack my DH a tie that goes with his button down shirt and call it a day. I DO NOT wear dresses, so I will pack either a fancy top with my dress pants or a pant suit for myself. Anyone that doesn't like our attire won't have to look at us, if they don't want to. We are doing YTD and therefore we will be seated with our own party.

I have tried to do accurate research for my cruise and these threads are down right ridiculous and frustrating (to a new cruiser to a particular line) from one end of the scale to the other in what people say are "the majority". Most just give what they wish it was like.

But thank you for your input to my post.

Actually it was me who suggested MDR photos. And I have done already exactly what you suggest. See the quote from my post.

"I've seen "formal" pictures posted but never actually seen many snap shots taken during dinner in the MDR". If I do the exact same quotes only using NCL to search images, I come up with the same sort of photos as Carnival (people dressed to the 9's). But I am very aware that, that is not the majority or large percentage in the MDR on NCL on their designated dress up or not night, but those that wish to have formal photographs taken, or those that wish a picture when they are all dolled up.

So at this point as far as our Carnival cruise goes, due to the frustration of getting a true answer. I will go half way between and pack my DH a tie that goes with his button down shirt and call it a day. I DO NOT wear dresses, so I will pack either a fancy top with my dress pants or a pant suit for myself. Anyone that doesn't like our attire won't have to look at us, if they don't want to. We are doing YTD and therefore we will be seated with our own party.

I have tried to do accurate research for my cruise and these threads are down right ridiculous and frustrating (to a new cruiser to a particular line) from one end of the scale to the other in what people say are "the majority". Most just give what they wish it was like.

Well, what they wish it were like or what they are appalled by. LOL. Doing a Google search will result in photos of people who want to show off what they wore--why would someone post a photo of themselves dressed inappropriately? Just sayin'.

When we started cruising, DH would wear a tux on formal nights, but as we cruised more, we didn't dress up as much--he didn't like be one of only a handful of men dressed in tuxes. My experience over the last three or four cruises has been that most men are in dress shirts and ties and women range from cocktail dresses to subdresses or slacks and a nice blouse. What you describe above that you're planning to bring will be just right. Enjoy your cruise!

Well, what they wish it were like or what they are appalled by. LOL. Doing a Google search will result in photos of people who want to show off what they wore--why would someone post a photo of themselves dressed inappropriately? Just sayin'.

When we started cruising, DH would wear a tux on formal nights, but as we cruised more, we didn't dress up as much--he didn't like be one of only a handful of men dressed in tuxes. My experience over the last three or four cruises has been that most men are in dress shirts and ties and women range from cocktail dresses to subdresses or slacks and a nice blouse. What you describe above that you're planning to bring will be just right. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for that. As you had probably noted, my post was in total frustration to trying to research this. It's sad when more research has to go into what to wear one night of your vacation over everything else.

I've watched this happen over and over on the NCL boards and never gave much thought to how confusing and frustrating it must have been on new cruisers.

Thank you for that. As you had probably noted, my post was in total frustration to trying to research this. It's sad when more research has to go into what to wear one night of your vacation over everything else.

I've watched this happen over and over on the NCL boards and never gave much thought to how confusing and frustrating it must have been on new cruisers.

I'm sure it must be frustrating. I didn't fine CC until our third cruise, so was pretty clueless for the first two!

The most important thing is that you just enjoy yourself! :D

For our upcoming cruise I'm bringing one pair of khakis and one button dress shirt for formal nights. All other nights in the MDR will be polos and either Khaki pants or khaki shorts.

My attire, DW's and DD's will be directly influenced by how we are packing. That is...we are doing ALL carry on for our flights so our space limitations will be the deciding factor as to what we're bringing. One rollie carry on suit case and a back pack for each and we are good to go.

Aside from the elegant night, what do guests generally wear the other nights in the MDR? We were planning on business casual - slacks/button down/polo and dresses the other nights. Will we be over/under dressed, or just right?

You fill be slightly better dressed.

Hello Carnivaluver,

Of course that is what you find when you do that type of google search. Many families dress up just for those formal pictures. Many families, if they do not care to have the formal family shot and are not stuck on dressing to the higher end of the elegant night dress code, won't even bother to stand in those elegant night photo lines. So you definately won't find the pictures they didn't have taken posted :rolleyes:.

IMHO you find a good mixture on Carnival ships on elegant. The majority will be in dress shirt/dress pants with tie with or without jacket. There will be the minority in tuxes or polo shirt/dress shirt (no tie) with khakis. All are acceptable attire per Carnivals dress code. DH wears dress shirt with tie/dress pants...no jacket. DS (18) wears khaki pants with a button down dress shirt ....no tie or jacket. Both fit in perfectly on a Carnival ship on elegant night.

Both of you will look perfectly fine and my guess is that you will not feel out of place at all.

Instead of trying to find the minimum, how often do you get to put on your best duds and squire your favorite person out on your arm?

Watching the faces of the ladies whose partners dress like they are going to a ball game, I can read their envy of the ladies whose partners took the time and energy to dress up as to show off loves to the world.

Outstanding post! You hit the nail squarely on the head with this one!

Outstanding post! You hit the nail squarely on the head with this one!

Interesting, but exactly who is it that you are being "tolerated" by. Since Carnival states "Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so." It certainly doesn't say that is required.

It is "permissible" to wear just the the shirt and tie. And it is slowly becoming more common on Carnival ships....

Who is doing all this tolerating?

Carnival has made it clear, clear, clear. One can enjoy a meal in the main dining room in shorts and a polo shirt every night except Cruise Elegant. For Cruise Elegant nights one can wear khakis and a polo, long-sleeved shirt, or virtually any other with sleeves and a collar. This is no slow uptake, it's been that way for a long time. Jeans are fine for every night except Cruise Elegant as well.

If the host has no problem with it then move along. All of us know exactly what a dining room looks like on a Carnival ship, and it's not the grand evening it was over 20 years ago.

We have been on 8 Carnival cruise ships for a total of 22 cruises since 1976, and I haven't worn a tie in the past dozen years. I'm in good company.

Archived