The 10 people you will meet on your cruise

bordercollie

"The Line Cutter"

These people will cut you in line.... wherever a line may appear.... At the Buffet, Waiting to get off the ship, etc. They have no shame... It's their world, we're just squirrels trying to get a nut.

Tip- DONT CUT IN LINE!

2: "The Young Runners"

These people will literally run you over. Usually roving packs of teenagers that run around all the decks (usually by the pool at night). You will probably see them starting to form into groups on night 2 or 3 of your cruise. Once unfamiliar teens have time to form a social order they will pick an alpha male or female to lead them on their runs.

3: "The Watch Forgetter"

These people... well... they don't wear a watch. They show up 10-15 minutes late to everything. Most notably, they will show up late to the nightly show and stand in your way while looking for a seat or their friends and family.

Tip- IF YOU ARE LATE TO THE SHOW, GO TO THE NEXT ONE!

4: "The Super Casual"

They will wear tank tops, t-shirts, sweatpants, track suits, bathing suits... Not usually a problem... but they will wear them EVERYWHERE... including to the nice dining venues.

Tip- BRING ATLEAST 1 NICE OUTFIT

5: "The Bad Parent"

These parents don't care what their child is doing, as long as the child isn't annoying them. They let their child play video games and listen to their ipods at restaurants, the show... etc....The bad parent will also let their child sit in the front row at the theatre even though they aren't supposed to. I suppose the bad parent also has something to do with number 2 also.

Tip- DON'T BE A BAD PARENT

6: "The Cheap"

They won't tip.... ever. They feel their daily service charge is sufficient to tip everyone that serves them throughout the day.

Tip- BE GENEROUS. I PROMISE YOU WILL GET BETTER SERVICE. ALSO, IT FEELS GOOD.

7: "The Loud Talker"

They talk very loud. They want everyone to hear what they say... It doesn't matter where they are. Their favorite location to ruin your nice night is at the dining venues.

Tip- QUIET DOWN!

8: "The Master and Commander"

These people treat the cruise staff like garbage. It's as if they feel the staff is privileged to clean their room, serve them drinks, etc.... They treat all cruise staffers with disdain.

Tip- YOU'RE NOT ANY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE STAFF BUST THEIR BUTT 70+ HOURS A WEEK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NICE VACATION. TREAT THEM WELL

9: "The extremely tired"

These people take the elevator at all costs. Going up or down 1 floor? Yup, and they are too tired to walk down 1 flight of stairs.

Tip- IF YOU'RE ONLY GOING UP OR DOWN 2 FLOORS, TAKE THE STAIRS

10: "The bucket man"

These people will order a bucket of beer.... and carry it with them everywhere. Is it really necesary to order a bucket of beer? Then take it to dinner, the show, etc...

Tip- ORDER ONE DRINK AT A TIME PLEASE

11. Pool chair Hogs - save chairs with towels hours before they show up at the pool

12. that one couple - for some reason, you tend to run into that same couple in various locations. Luckily, they tend to be nice too.

13. The fun people - they try out for the sexist man competition, the belly flop contest, 80's music trivia, and luckily, they are pretty hilarious.

Now I don't agree totally with #9. I can walk/ run up many flights of stairs. I however can't do the same going down. I have a depth perception problem so it looks farther down than it is and I get dizzy and can fall down the stairs.

So yes sometimes I take the elevator down one floor

These people take the elevator at all costs. Going up or down 1 floor? Yup, and they are too tired to walk down 1 flight of stairs.

Tip -don't judge people or call them lazy or tired just becuase you can't see their ailment. Some of us do need to use the elevator for just a flight or 2 of stairs at times and it won't be outwardly obvious. I have fibromyalgia. I also have been suffering for the last year from everything from bursitis in my hip to sciatic nerve pain. While when I walk it isn't obvious, the fact that my knee and half my leg is numb has caused me to just collapse unexpectedly on more than one occasion when doing things such as using stairs and scared a few people (including myself). I appear to be perfectly fine outwardly until you see me fall to the ground in front of you for no apparent reason.

tip -don't judge people or call them lazy or tired just becuase you can't see their ailment. Some of us do need to use the elevator for just a flight or 2 of stairs at times and it won't be outwardly obvious. I have fibromyalgia. I also have been suffering for the last year from everything from bursitis in my hip to sciatic nerve pain. While when i walk it isn't obvious, the fact that my knee and half my leg is numb has caused me to just collapse unexpectedly on more than one occasion when doing things such as using stairs and scared a few people (including myself). I appear to be perfectly fine outwardly until you see me fall to the ground in front of you for no apparent reason.

Thank you!!! In addition, some people talk loudly because they are hard of hearing or the person they are with is hard of hearing.

The #2 are taken care of with a foot in the aisle to trip over, the rest get a clamp on the shoulder and a jab in the back with the leg planted to take them to the floor. There is no excuse for this behavior and I have done this before and left them on the deck. Have had applause before also.

............ and don't forget the 11th:

11. The busybody who goes around complaining about all the things the other people are doing that don't meet with their approval. :D

Tsk-tsk ;)

LOL Agreed. A lot of effort was just spent there. :D

About the elevator... I didn't mean people with disabilities or pain issues...

And I'm sorry, but I think we can all tell the difference between the loud talkers and someone who is hard of hearing, or speaking to someone that is hard of hearing...

and Fleckle... thats definitely a good one.... but the honest fact of the matter is I don't really do that much on the cruise... I am the farthest thing from a busy body there is, but the 4-5 hours a day that I'm out and about, I just see some really rude people and it really bothers me.

99% of people on a cruise are great... but there is that small minority that is really rude and can ruin certain parts of the trip.

Why aren't kids allowed in the front row of the theater?

And it's usually cheaper to order a bucket of beer, so why not?

Actually on my last cruise, the announcement stated that children are not to be seated in the first few rows unless they are with an adult.

and here's my #12 (included after my cruise last month):

12. Those who talk during the shows. (during two different shows, we had people gabbing away -- during the first one, people in back of us, including a guy and his little kid and in front of us, a bunch of twenty-somethings; during the second show, a row of adults). It's inconsiderate to those in the audience and disrespectful to the performers.

............ and don't forget the 11th:

11. The busybody who goes around complaining about all the things the other people are doing that don't meet with their approval. :D

Tsk-tsk ;)

LOL I was going to post something like this as well.

While there may be some truths listed in some of the ten people you'll meet, that's life and you meet them everywhere, not just on a cruise.

"The Line Cutter"

These people will cut you in line.... wherever a line may appear.... At the Buffet, Waiting to get off the ship, etc. They have no shame... It's their world, we're just squirrels trying to get a nut.

Tip- DONT CUT IN LINE!

Some other people you will meet:

1. The negative Nellie's (see original post)

2. People who believe it is their responsibility to tell EVERYONE how to vacation (see original post)

3. Wonderfully friendly people you will want to stay in touch with forever.

4. Fun, zany people that you will never forget once you have been on a team or involved in some sort of competition with them.

5. Some of the hardest working folks you will ever have the privilege to know.

"The Line Cutter"

Tip- DONT CUT IN LINE! While it's never okay to cut in line there are circumstances that make it look like they are when they really aren't. Tolerance of different situations comes into play here. Sometimes a person is making a return trip and just needed to get the butter they forgot. Or the person in front on them is struggling to decide just which piece of potato they want and holding up 20 people in the process so they go around them. I've watched someone slowly pick over the next 5 items in line - none of which I want - holding up everyone. Yes, I will go around them. Or I forgot the lemon and excuse myself as I just reach in and grab it.

2: "The Young Runners"

These people will literally run you over. Usually roving packs of teenagers that run around all the decks (usually by the pool at night). You will probably see them starting to form into groups on night 2 or 3 of your cruise. Once unfamiliar teens have time to form a social order they will pick an alpha male or female to lead them on their runs. Since you state "by the pool at night" are these kids actually doing anything wrong other then being in a group? Are they just walking from point A to B and get in your way?

3: "The Watch Forgetter"

These people... well... they don't wear a watch. They show up 10-15 minutes late to everything. Most notably, they will show up late to the nightly show and stand in your way while looking for a seat or their friends and family. Or maybe they just had to go to the bathroom or check on a family member so their spouse went on ahead to get the seat. While I don't condone them blocking someone else's view if it's just for a few seconds I think I can live with that. My life isn't so important that I don't see other people existing in my world too.

Tip- IF YOU ARE LATE TO THE SHOW, GO TO THE NEXT ONE!

4: "The Super Casual"

They will wear tank tops, t-shirts, sweatpants, track suits, bathing suits... Not usually a problem... but they will wear them EVERYWHERE... including to the nice dining venues. This is the fault of the cruise line for letting them into the venue if they are not properly dressed. However, there is nothing wrong with wearing t-shirts and sweatpants in the MDR at lunch or breakfast. By EVERYWHERE do you mean you have a problem with them wearing tank tops on deck as well?

Tip- BRING ATLEAST 1 NICE OUTFIT

5: "The Bad Parent"

These parents don't care what their child is doing, as long as the child isn't annoying them. They let their child play video games and listen to their ipods at restaurants, the show... etc....The bad parent will also let their child sit in the front row at the theatre even though they aren't supposed to. I suppose the bad parent also has something to do with number 2 also. Umm, I'm wondering why you care that someone else's child is sitting quietly listening to their ipod or playing a game as long as they aren't bothering you. Well, obviously it does bother you, but the real question is why does it bother you? Would you prefer the kid was finicky, whiny and disruptive?

Tip- DON'T BE A BAD PARENT

6: "The Cheap"

They won't tip.... ever. They feel their daily service charge is sufficient to tip everyone that serves them throughout the day. And it is sufficient. No one is asked to tip more unless they want to. As long as they are meeting the cruise line suggestion then they ARE tipping and aren't cheap.

Tip- BE GENEROUS. I PROMISE YOU WILL GET BETTER SERVICE. ALSO, IT FEELS GOOD.

7: "The Loud Talker"

They talk very loud. They want everyone to hear what they say... It doesn't matter where they are. Their favorite location to ruin your nice night is at the dining venues. Yes, obviously these people got up in the morning and said "who can I p*ss off today and how". I know, I'll talk loud and ruin the guys at the next tables night. Sure common courtesy is to talk so only the people in your group can hear but seriously - you think they really do it because they want everyone to hear their conversation.

Tip- QUIET DOWN!

8: "The Master and Commander"

These people treat the cruise staff like garbage. It's as if they feel the staff is privileged to clean their room, serve them drinks, etc.... They treat all cruise staffers with disdain. I agree, you should never treat people disrespectfully.

Tip- YOU'RE NOT ANY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE STAFF BUST THEIR BUTT 70+ HOURS A WEEK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NICE VACATION. TREAT THEM WELL

These people take the elevator at all costs. Going up or down 1 floor? Yup, and they are too tired to walk down 1 flight of stairs. As others have said you have no idea what physical challenges other people have. For some reason the first couple of days I'm on a cruise my knees give out on me going downstairs so I will take the elevator rather then wince in pain every step of the way. Some days I have breathing issues and walking up two flights will exhaust me. My sister in law once had someone yell at her because she was driving a sports car and parked in the handicapped spot. He decided that she didn't need that spot based on the car she drove. She died 2 months later from cancer.

10: "The bucket man"

These people will order a bucket of beer.... and carry it with them everywhere. Is it really necessary to order a bucket of beer? Then take it to dinner, the show, etc... Again, why is it your right to decide how a guy buys a drink? If he wasn't drunk and obnoxious, what's it to you? Frankly I'd rather talk to the bucket of beer guy then someone who is so narrow minded that only their way is the right way. Are you also opposed to someone buying a whole bottle of wine, instead of by the glass, then talking the bottle with them to finish up in a second location or is it just the beer you object to?

Tip- ORDER ONE DRINK AT A TIME PLEASE

Wow. A little judgmental aren't you? Above are my comments to your post. Maybe that should be your next person to avoid. People that judge others without any compassion or knowledge of their situation.

...yes, we have met many wonderful people on cruises.

I often eat early and by myself (my wife loves to sleep in late) and met a wonderful gentleman one morning. He asked if he could join me and found out his wife also loves to sleep in late. During our conversation, I was amazed at his zest for life and energy...he's 92 years young he told me. I had to ask..."What is your secret?"

He said he played golf 3 times a week, plays tennis once a week, attends a dance class, and he played 3 musical instruments. I said: "That's incredible!".

He then said he recently go married...hmmm, really?...yes, he said...then whispered: "She's young...only 71".

He said: "Just last week, my new wife yelled at me...Honey! are you going upstairs and have sex with me!" He said: "Well make up your mind, I can't do both!" :D....true story.

I thought it would be obvious that I was generalizing. I didn't think that a post on common courtesy, manners, and etiquite would upset so many people.

I feel the need to defend myself so here goes:

1:While it's never okay to cut in line there are circumstances that make it look like they are when they really aren't. Tolerance of different situations comes into play here. Sometimes a person is making a return trip and just needed to get the butter they forgot. Or the person in front on them is struggling to decide just which piece of potato they want and holding up 20 people in the process so they go around them. I've watched someone slowly pick over the next 5 items in line - none of which I want - holding up everyone. Yes, I will go around them. Or I forgot the lemon and excuse myself as I just reach in and grab it.

When you're in the line for the tender to take you off the boat and someone cuts in front of you... why? we're all going to get there at the same time! Or, you're in line at the chocolate buffet and you've been waiting for a certain item and theres only one left.... your next, and about to grab it, when someone 5 people back cuts around and grabs that item.

Yes, there are circumstances when its ok to go around someone, my fault for generalizing... but I think a solid rule of etiquite is not to cut in line.

2. Since you state "by the pool at night" are these kids actually doing anything wrong other then being in a group? Are they just walking from point A to B and get in your way?

You must have misread what I wrote.... I titled it "Young Runners" Runners being the key word there. I've seen multiple people run over by these groups. So, no... I'm not bothered by groups of kids, just the ones that "RUN" all over the place... I'ts dangerous.

3. Or maybe they just had to go to the bathroom or check on a family member so their spouse went on ahead to get the seat. While I don't condone them blocking someone else's view if it's just for a few seconds I think I can live with that. My life isn't so important that I don't see other people existing in my world too.

When the same 20-30 people show up 15-20 minutes late to every show, I have a hard time believing they all had to go to the bathroom everynight. Again, this is just common courtesy. It's not about being "so important". I am a nobody.... These people are the ones that feel thier lives are so important that they come and go as they please, even if they are disturbing the 99% of people that showed up on time.

4. This is the fault of the cruise line for letting them into the venue if they are not properly dressed. However, there is nothing wrong with wearing t-shirts and sweatpants in the MDR at lunch or breakfast. By EVERYWHERE do you mean you have a problem with them wearing tank tops on deck as well?

It's not the fault of the cruise line.... What ever happened to personal responsibility? These people are saying, "I know the rules, but I don't care". I hate getting dressed up, but I do, because its the rules. And I wrote in my post that tank tops etc, "aren't usually a problem". I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't talking about hanging around the pool. Thats why I specificly wrote about the dining venues.

5. Umm, I'm wondering why you care that someone else's child is sitting quietly listening to their ipod or playing a game as long as they aren't bothering you. Well, obviously it does bother you, but the real question is why does it bother you? Would you prefer the kid was finicky, whiny and disruptive?

Umm, I care when I am sitting next to a table and a kid is playing a video game with the volume on while his parents act like he isn't there. Sorry that it bothers me while I am trying to enjoy a nice dinner and all I can hear is Angry birds being played at the table next to me. I know I am not alone here, because the older couple at the table next to us, looked over in our direction and shook their heads. Again, these self absorbed people couldn't care one bit about the people around them.

6. And it is sufficient. No one is asked to tip more unless they want to. As long as they are meeting the cruise line suggestion then they ARE tipping and aren't cheap.

No, It is not sufficient. Do the math... These guys/girls are working 70+ hours a week and take in about $140 a week in tips from the daily service charge. Let me ask you a question, if you were a waitress and worked 70 hours a week... would $140 in tips be enough for the week? No, it wouldn't.

7. Yes, obviously these people got up in the morning and said "who can I p*ss off today and how". I know, I'll talk loud and ruin the guys at the next tables night. Sure common courtesy is to talk so only the people in your group can hear but seriously - you think they really do it because they want everyone to hear their conversation.

Does the fact that they don't literally want everyone in the restaurant to hear what they have to say change the fact that it's incredibly rude and obnoxious? No.

8. Well, it nice that we agree on something :)

9. I tried to make my opinion of this a little more clear earlier. I didn't mean people with physical problems. I am wrong for having wrote this one, because it doesnt follow the courtesy theme of the rest of my post.

10. Again, why is it your right to decide how a guy buys a drink? If he wasn't drunk and obnoxious, what's it to you? Frankly I'd rather talk to the bucket of beer guy then someone who is so narrow minded that only their way is the right way. Are you also opposed to someone buying a whole bottle of wine, instead of by the glass, then talking the bottle with them to finish up in a second location or is it just the beer you object to?

It's not my right to decide anything. I've never gone up to anyone on a cruise or and said anything to them about buckets of beer. It was just an observation that I thought was funny. Like who needs a bucket of beer... it's hilarious to me.

And for someone who claims that I am judging people, you did a pretty good job judging my opinions.

And about avoiding people like me... Its not very hard. You probably won't even notice me at all and here's why... I don't cut in line, I don't run around the decks almost crashing into numerous people, I won't get in your way in the theatre because I am already quietly in my seat, I won't stand out in the dining venues because I dress to the dress code, you

wont find me playing video games at dinner, or hear my conversations because I am quiet.

You forgot THE EXPERT ...

who knows more about sailing the ship than the captain

who knows more about ship operations than any staff or crew member

who knows more about all of the ports than anyone else because they've been to all of them at least once

who knows more about food & cooking than any of the chefs onboard

who simply knows more about everything than anyone on board!

Hi Bordiecollie (love the name by the way)

I appreciate that you were making a few light hearted points and thank you for taking the time to make us smile.

I'm sure you weren't looking for an in depth, line by line critique and its a shame that some of the more po faced posters totally missed the humour (or should that be humor?).

You know what they say about many a true word spoken in jest.....couldn't agree more with any of the aforementioned about cruise passengers, got the generalisations just about right.

I thought on our recent cruise that un-accompanied children under 18 should use the stairs...there were hordes of the little blighters joy-riding in the elevators. Plus it would do some of the horrid, obese brats a chance to shed a few pounds.

Legz and oscar....

Glad someone finally picked up on the fact that I was trying to be funny in my original post.... But some folks put me on the defensive and I had to get serious ;).

It doesn't surprise me at all that it took a couple of Brits to pick up on it. Love your brand of humor... it's too bad a lot of people on this side of the pond don't really get it.

It really is beyond me how anyone would want to cruise with the people I listed, but some people made me feel that they'd rather be on a ship full of rude people than with a wonderful human being like myself ;) (The wonderful human being line... thats sarcasm by the way people)

Archived