The 10 people you will meet on your cruise

bordercollie

Tip -don't judge people or call them lazy or tired just becuase you can't see their ailment. Some of us do need to use the elevator for just a flight or 2 of stairs at times and it won't be outwardly obvious. I have fibromyalgia. I also have been suffering for the last year from everything from bursitis in my hip to sciatic nerve pain. While when I walk it isn't obvious, the fact that my knee and half my leg is numb has caused me to just collapse unexpectedly on more than one occasion when doing things such as using stairs and scared a few people (including myself). I appear to be perfectly fine outwardly until you see me fall to the ground in front of you for no apparent reason.

This exactly! I have more back/knee/ankle issues then people double my age. I've been dealing with RA over half my life. And I'm 28. And I get dirty looks for taking elevators even for one or two floors/decks all the time. Trust me, those of us who take them because we need them for short distances don't enjoy it!

The #2 are taken care of with a foot in the aisle to trip over, the rest get a clamp on the shoulder and a jab in the back with the leg planted to take them to the floor. There is no excuse for this behavior and I have done this before and left them on the deck. Have had applause before also.

I think I love you!

;)

Hi Bordiecollie (love the name by the way)

I appreciate that you were making a few light hearted points and thank you for taking the time to make us smile.

I'm sure you weren't looking for an in depth, line by line critique and its a shame that some of the more po faced posters totally missed the humour (or should that be humor?).

Agreed!! I thought it was quite a humorous post and was surprised by the initial responses :confused:

Now I don't agree totally with #9. I can walk/ run up many flights of stairs. I however can't do the same going down. I have a depth perception problem so it looks farther down than it is and I get dizzy and can fall down the stairs.

So yes sometimes I take the elevator down one floor

I'm right there with you - when you read this list, please be patient with people who don't have depth perception and take the elevator. It's a lot quicker for you (and me both) to go down one floor on the elevator instead of taking the stairs. I will walk "up" anywhere, all the time - but if I'm going down - I'm taking that elevator - better than falling down the stairs! ;) Thank you for your patience!!

I thought it would be obvious that I was generalizing. I didn't think that a post on common courtesy, manners, and etiquite would upset so many people.

I feel the need to defend myself so here goes:

1:While it's never okay to cut in line there are circumstances that make it look like they are when they really aren't. Tolerance of different situations comes into play here. Sometimes a person is making a return trip and just needed to get the butter they forgot. Or the person in front on them is struggling to decide just which piece of potato they want and holding up 20 people in the process so they go around them. I've watched someone slowly pick over the next 5 items in line - none of which I want - holding up everyone. Yes, I will go around them. Or I forgot the lemon and excuse myself as I just reach in and grab it.

When you're in the line for the tender to take you off the boat and someone cuts in front of you... why? we're all going to get there at the same time! Or, you're in line at the chocolate buffet and you've been waiting for a certain item and theres only one left.... your next, and about to grab it, when someone 5 people back cuts around and grabs that item.

Yes, there are circumstances when its ok to go around someone, my fault for generalizing... but I think a solid rule of etiquite is not to cut in line.

2. Since you state "by the pool at night" are these kids actually doing anything wrong other then being in a group? Are they just walking from point A to B and get in your way?

You must have misread what I wrote.... I titled it "Young Runners" Runners being the key word there. I've seen multiple people run over by these groups. So, no... I'm not bothered by groups of kids, just the ones that "RUN" all over the place... I'ts dangerous.

3. Or maybe they just had to go to the bathroom or check on a family member so their spouse went on ahead to get the seat. While I don't condone them blocking someone else's view if it's just for a few seconds I think I can live with that. My life isn't so important that I don't see other people existing in my world too.

When the same 20-30 people show up 15-20 minutes late to every show, I have a hard time believing they all had to go to the bathroom everynight. Again, this is just common courtesy. It's not about being "so important". I am a nobody.... These people are the ones that feel thier lives are so important that they come and go as they please, even if they are disturbing the 99% of people that showed up on time.

4. This is the fault of the cruise line for letting them into the venue if they are not properly dressed. However, there is nothing wrong with wearing t-shirts and sweatpants in the MDR at lunch or breakfast. By EVERYWHERE do you mean you have a problem with them wearing tank tops on deck as well?

It's not the fault of the cruise line.... What ever happened to personal responsibility? These people are saying, "I know the rules, but I don't care". I hate getting dressed up, but I do, because its the rules. And I wrote in my post that tank tops etc, "aren't usually a problem". I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't talking about hanging around the pool. Thats why I specificly wrote about the dining venues.

5. Umm, I'm wondering why you care that someone else's child is sitting quietly listening to their ipod or playing a game as long as they aren't bothering you. Well, obviously it does bother you, but the real question is why does it bother you? Would you prefer the kid was finicky, whiny and disruptive?

Umm, I care when I am sitting next to a table and a kid is playing a video game with the volume on while his parents act like he isn't there. Sorry that it bothers me while I am trying to enjoy a nice dinner and all I can hear is Angry birds being played at the table next to me. I know I am not alone here, because the older couple at the table next to us, looked over in our direction and shook their heads. Again, these self absorbed people couldn't care one bit about the people around them.

6. And it is sufficient. No one is asked to tip more unless they want to. As long as they are meeting the cruise line suggestion then they ARE tipping and aren't cheap.

No, It is not sufficient. Do the math... These guys/girls are working 70+ hours a week and take in about $140 a week in tips from the daily service charge. Let me ask you a question, if you were a waitress and worked 70 hours a week... would $140 in tips be enough for the week? No, it wouldn't.

7. Yes, obviously these people got up in the morning and said "who can I p*ss off today and how". I know, I'll talk loud and ruin the guys at the next tables night. Sure common courtesy is to talk so only the people in your group can hear but seriously - you think they really do it because they want everyone to hear their conversation.

Does the fact that they don't literally want everyone in the restaurant to hear what they have to say change the fact that it's incredibly rude and obnoxious? No.

8. Well, it nice that we agree on something :)

9. I tried to make my opinion of this a little more clear earlier. I didn't mean people with physical problems. I am wrong for having wrote this one, because it doesnt follow the courtesy theme of the rest of my post.

10. Again, why is it your right to decide how a guy buys a drink? If he wasn't drunk and obnoxious, what's it to you? Frankly I'd rather talk to the bucket of beer guy then someone who is so narrow minded that only their way is the right way. Are you also opposed to someone buying a whole bottle of wine, instead of by the glass, then talking the bottle with them to finish up in a second location or is it just the beer you object to?

It's not my right to decide anything. I've never gone up to anyone on a cruise or and said anything to them about buckets of beer. It was just an observation that I thought was funny. Like who needs a bucket of beer... it's hilarious to me.

And for someone who claims that I am judging people, you did a pretty good job judging my opinions.

And about avoiding people like me... Its not very hard. You probably won't even notice me at all and here's why... I don't cut in line, I don't run around the decks almost crashing into numerous people, I won't get in your way in the theatre because I am already quietly in my seat, I won't stand out in the dining venues because I dress to the dress code, you

wont find me playing video games at dinner, or hear my conversations because I am quiet.

Where's the LIKE button for boardercollie? LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!

Glad someone finally picked up on the fact that I was trying to be funny in my original post.... But some folks put me on the defensive and I had to get serious ;).

The problem was that it wasn't written in all humor when you added the part about the elevators versus the stairs. At that point you crossed over into insulting. I have a warped sense of humor, I do love sarcasm and witty banter... but this post did not really have much of that. I agreed with many of the points as well, but it's hard to take it all light hearted when you throw something very serious and judgemental such as physcial capabilities into the mix and encourage others to judge. I think that many of us who have to take an eleveator for 1 floor feel very uncomfortable with it so you hit, we have to swallow our pride and do this and we do get looks for doing it and feel it needs to be justified for that reason. At 42, not being overweight and looking perfectly healthy I do get judged for making the decision not to take the stairs.

The problem was that it wasn't written in all humor when you added the part about the elevators versus the stairs. At that point you crossed over into insulting. I have a warped sense of humor, I do love sarcasm and witty banter... but this post did not really have much of that. I agreed with many of the points as well, but it's hard to take it all light hearted when you throw something very serious and judgemental such as physcial capabilities into the mix and encourage others to judge. I think that many of us who have to take an eleveator for 1 floor feel very uncomfortable with it so you hit, we have to swallow our pride and do this and we do get looks for doing it and feel it needs to be justified for that reason. At 42, not being overweight and looking perfectly healthy I do get judged for making the decision not to take the stairs.

So very true!!!! This wasn't funny in the least, and I don't think anyone--Brit or not--can take it as funny. And because of this, it frames the rest of the post in an unfunny reference as well. And then by your "defensive" response, it proves that you are serious about your points, whether you were "trying to be funny" or not.

And your point about tips!!!! YES, the daily tip is enough. It's what the cruise lines have come up with that they feel is a reasonable amount of money for their employees based on the level of service and expectation they provide. If you want to give more, great. I think you should also tip other people you deal with then, too. You go into McDonalds and buy stuff of the dollar menu, make sure you tip the cashier who's making minimum wage at least $5, and also the cook in back actually making the food. It's only fair and reasonable, by your own argument. If you make a call to a place of business, make sure you give the person on the end of the line your social security number and credit card number so that you can make sure they get a tip for that service as well.

#11. People who list every cruise they've been on / going on underneath their name on this forum. Or their status within their cruise line's loyalty program (eg. diamond or whatever) :p. It's like some international pissing match over who's got the biggest.... itinerary. :D

I promise not to descend to this level of narcissism.

King:

Yes... I do get defensive when someone breaks down my post, point by point and warps what I said to make thier case against me. I felt it neccasary to point out the inacuracies.

And don't you think talking about tipping cashiers and people who answer the phone is a little rediculous? Not one time in my post did I suggest that people should give tips to anyone other than those that provide a service to you. These people, waitresses, bar tenders, etc... depend on tips to make a living. They probably make the lowest hourly wage on board the ship. When you aren't on a cruise, you do tip waitresses don't you?

And just because I am serious about my points, doesn't make them not funny. Ever heard the phrase, "it's funny because it's true?"

Your point that the cruise line has come up with what they feel is reasonable for tipping... This is really funny to me.... The cruise line is a big corporation... Thier first priority isn't to make sure that their staff makes enough money... The cruise lines priority is to make sure that they charge you just enough so you won't think it's too much.

If you people don't want to tip, that fine with me. All I know is, if you tip well, you'll get much better service from the people you tip than people who don't tip well.

Have a wonderful day.

Adding to the OP's list:

"That couple"

It's the one couple you talk to early on, like at embarkation, then keep running into them multiple times during your cruise. They tend to be really nice and fun to talk to. They're very outgoing, and exchange at least warm hellos with anyone they talked to at least once.

"The gawkers"

It's the newbie cruiser(s) on their first cruise. They look wowed by literally everything, from the size of the high ceilings in the lobby to signs written in slightly broken English. Even the mundane muster drill fascinates them at least slightly. If you ask them how they're enjoying their cruise, they'll never stop smiling the whole conversation. I was guilty of this one.

"The funnel fanatics" (Carnival only)

It's the people who get fascinated by the ship's funnel (i.e. the whale tail). They take gratuitous pictures of it from all different angles, pose in front of it, buy souvenir cups shaped like the funnel, or just stare at it (cf. "the gawkers"). They may exhibit similar behaviors when seeing other Carnival ships in ports of call or at sea in the distance.

"The dancers"

It's the people who partake in every dance-related activity offered onboard. Anything at all: lessons, dance parties on the deck or the promenade, and nightclubs. They're just happy to be on a cruise, and use dancing as a way of acting out that happiness. Solos or people who came with family will often seek out other dancers.

"The pier runners"

'Nuff said.

"The balloon hat wearers"

These people are the embodiment of Jimmy Buffett's "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" album name. Once they hit a Caribbean port, they adopt a complete alter-ego: putting on balloon hats, smiling a lot, doing cheesy dances like the limbo or the conga line, taking pictures with strangers, and finding every excuse in the book to scream "whoo-hoo!". Even if you're not a balloon hat wearer yourself, watching these people can be fun.

"The pack leaders"

You find these people at assigned dining tables. They're quite charismatic, but very down-to-earth and interesting conversationalists. Once the table is seated, they take charge somewhat, and try to bring everyone together by engaging all people in conversation. If you have assigned dining, pack leaders can make your dining experience a really great one.

#11. People who list every cruise they've been on / going on underneath their name on this forum. Or their status within their cruise line's loyalty program (eg. diamond or whatever) :p. It's like some international pissing match over who's got the biggest.... itinerary. :D

I promise not to descend to this level of narcissism.

I don't see it as narcissism at all... I see it as a way to "qualify" their posts.

If someone posts something about Cruise Line A's amenities, and their signature line shows that they've done twenty different cruises with CLA in the past ten years, that would tell me that their advice is probably on the informed side.

Likewise, if they have taken twenty cruises with CLA but the topic under consideration is specific to Cruise Line B, then I can take their advice under advisement, but realize that it may not be applicable on a different line.

Same thing with regions/ports of call that have been visited, or with "elite" status. I've never been to Alaska, nor do I have any particular overwhelming interest in going there. I wouldn't be the best one to get advice from regarding Alaskan cruises.

I'm also not "elite" on any line -- I'm preparing for my fifth cruise and my fifth line, so I'm a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of person (if that). If someone wanted to know if they get free laundry, internet, concierge access, or <insert whatever perk> at a certain "elite status" level, I'm not your gal. I can say, "Well, I've seen people post here about <whatever the topic is>" but that's about it. But someone who *is* at that level would be a very credible source on the subject.

Life is what we make of it. If you choose to see everyone who lists their cruises/itineraries/"elite" level in their signature lines as narcissistic braggarts, you'll be giving yourself a jaded frame of mind. (Granted, some people ARE like that, but I believe they're in the minority overall.) Instead, if you make the choice to see these people as experienced travelers who are willing to share their information with fellow cruisers, it makes for a much less cynical experience while perusing the CC boards.

Just my personal opinion.....

LOL Agreed. A lot of effort was just spent there. :D

Yes, some people just want to find the negative in everything; they aren't happy unless they have something to gripe about. Teens will be teens; we were teens once, too. if the elevators are busy I take the stairs; sometimes even when the elevators probably aren't tied up. Good grief; chill, as the young 'uns would say.

Funny...I was really looking forward to my first cruise next week, but now based on what the first person said...along with the person who seems to think it is right to trip kids that are running around...I am not so much. I think the original post was pretty judgmental. Seems like it is much easier to just enjoy yourself and not worry so much about what other people are doing, saying or how loud they are talking. I sincerely hope to never meet you on a cruise or in any other situation.

Funny...I was really looking forward to my first cruise next week, but now based on what the first person said...along with the person who seems to think it is right to trip kids that are running around...I am not so much. I think the original post was pretty judgmental. Seems like it is much easier to just enjoy yourself and not worry so much about what other people are doing, saying or how loud they are talking. I sincerely hope to never meet you on a cruise or in any other situation.

Go, you'll have a great time and won't even notice any of this stuff! :)

"I'm also not "elite" on any line -- I'm preparing for my fifth cruise and my fifth line, so I'm a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of person (if that). If someone wanted to know if they get free laundry, internet, concierge access, or <insert whatever perk> at a certain "elite status" level, I'm not your gal. I can say, "Well, I've seen people post here about <whatever the topic is>" but that's about it. But someone who *is* at that level would be a very credible source on the subject.:

Perhaps after you've taken over 30 cruises you won't feel this way....

"The Line Cutter"

These people will cut you in line.... wherever a line may appear.... At the Buffet, Waiting to get off the ship, etc. They have no shame... It's their world, we're just squirrels trying to get a nut.

Tip- DONT CUT IN LINE!

I'm on vacation & not in a hurry. It doesn't bother me to wait a minute behind the person who's taking a little more time to choose their food. I don't cut line for whatever justifiable reason I can come up with, so why would this comment have angered me? We can justify anything, if we try hard enough. ;)

2: "The Young Runners"

These people will literally run you over. Usually roving packs of teenagers that run around all the decks (usually by the pool at night). You will probably see them starting to form into groups on night 2 or 3 of your cruise. Once unfamiliar teens have time to form a social order they will pick an alpha male or female to lead them on their runs.

5: "The Bad Parent"

These parents don't care what their child is doing, as long as the child isn't annoying them. They let their child play video games and listen to their ipods at restaurants, the show... etc....The bad parent will also let their child sit in the front row at the theatre even though they aren't supposed to. I suppose the bad parent also has something to do with number 2 also.

Tip- DON'T BE A BAD PARENT

I wasn't offended by the comment about allowing kids to run wild, because my child was never allowed to do that. My child also wasn't allowed to watch movies or play games at the dinner table, so again I wasn't offended. I'm sure the OP was referring to the noise these can make, which can be very annoying. A child sitting in the front doesn't bother me in the least, but the comment didn't offend me either. FWIW, my DS is now 20, so I'm not that far removed from having a child that fits in these categories. Kids can have a great time without running wild & disturbing others. I tend to blame the parents rather than the kids, which is what I think most people do.

3: "The Watch Forgetter"

These people... well... they don't wear a watch. They show up 10-15 minutes late to everything. Most notably, they will show up late to the nightly show and stand in your way while looking for a seat or their friends and family.

Tip- IF YOU ARE LATE TO THE SHOW, GO TO THE NEXT ONE!

TBH, I'm often late, even though I try to be on time. :o If we're late & that's the only show, I will stand in the back. People have a right to be annoyed if I decide to stand in front of them to chat with my DH about where we should sit or insist on making an entire row of people move for me to get past them to find the perfect seat.

4: "The Super Casual"

They will wear tank tops, t-shirts, sweatpants, track suits, bathing suits... Not usually a problem... but they will wear them EVERYWHERE... including to the nice dining venues.

Tip- BRING ATLEAST 1 NICE OUTFIT

6: "The Cheap"

They won't tip.... ever. They feel their daily service charge is sufficient to tip everyone that serves them throughout the day.

Tip- BE GENEROUS. I PROMISE YOU WILL GET BETTER SERVICE. ALSO, IT FEELS GOOD.

We try to dress per the dress code, & tip extra, so these don't apply to us. I don't really care what others do, so I don't have an opinion on these.

7: "The Loud Talker"

They talk very loud. They want everyone to hear what they say... It doesn't matter where they are. Their favorite location to ruin your nice night is at the dining venues.

Tip- QUIET DOWN!

We don't get drunk & share our conversations with the world, which is what I think the OP was referring to. If I'm talking & laughing loudly, I need to know I'm being rude. We all know there's a difference between those who are hard of hearing & those who tend to be in groups that can have their conversations get out of control w/o realizing it.

8: "The Master and Commander"

These people treat the cruise staff like garbage. It's as if they feel the staff is privileged to clean their room, serve them drinks, etc.... They treat all cruise staffers with disdain.

Tip- YOU'RE NOT ANY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE STAFF BUST THEIR BUTT 70+ HOURS A WEEK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NICE VACATION. TREAT THEM WELL

I'm sure most of us agree with this.

9: "The extremely tired"

These people take the elevator at all costs. Going up or down 1 floor? Yup, and they are too tired to walk down 1 flight of stairs.

Tip- IF YOU'RE ONLY GOING UP OR DOWN 2 FLOORS, TAKE THE STAIRS

I also look healthy, but have chronic health problems requiring me to take the elevator. I know my use of the elevator is warranted, so I wasn't offended by the comment.

10: "The bucket man"

These people will order a bucket of beer.... and carry it with them everywhere. Is it really necesary to order a bucket of beer? Then take it to dinner, the show, etc...

Tip- ORDER ONE DRINK AT A TIME PLEASE

I don't have an opinion on this either way. It definitely doesn't make me angry to read it though.

If we aren't guilty of these things, why would we be offended by the post? I can understand how #9 can upset some people. I live with others judgement every day too. I feel for the posters who also have to deal with this. That said, I didn't automatically think the OP intended to include those who aren't healthy. Even if they did, I'm not going to get all upset about it. As I said, I know I need to use the elevator. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about it. If I were the type who was perfectly healthy & always used the elevator, I may have given it more thought. JMO

Now I don't agree totally with #9. I can walk/ run up many flights of stairs. I however can't do the same going down. I have a depth perception problem so it looks farther down than it is and I get dizzy and can fall down the stairs.

So yes sometimes I take the elevator down one floor

Actually, I do too for the VERY same reason!

LuLu

~~~~

There's a lot of people out there that need to acquire a sense of humour....you're all on an international forum where humour can be mis-interpreted due to the cultural differences, unless it's something directly aimed at you personally just take it with a pinch of salt....

Oh, and another 'pain in the butt' - people who press both the up and down buttons and get in the first elevator that turns up, squeezing their usually large backside in the elevator and then moan when it goes in the wrong direction.....for them. Worse still, they complain when people have to push past them because they refuse to step out of the elevator to let other passengers out.

And then there's those that rush in when you're trying to exit.....usually little nasty old women who think they own the place.....

"I'm also not "elite" on any line -- I'm preparing for my fifth cruise and my fifth line, so I'm a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of person (if that). If someone wanted to know if they get free laundry, internet, concierge access, or <insert whatever perk> at a certain "elite status" level, I'm not your gal. I can say, "Well, I've seen people post here about <whatever the topic is>" but that's about it. But someone who *is* at that level would be a very credible source on the subject.:

Perhaps after you've taken over 30 cruises you won't feel this way....

I'm afraid I don't understand your reply at all... you think that after I've cruised more, I'll think that people who cruise a lot are rude???? :confused:

I don't see it as narcissism at all... I see it as a way to "qualify" their posts.

If someone posts something about Cruise Line A's amenities, and their signature line shows that they've done twenty different cruises with CLA in the past ten years, that would tell me that their advice is probably on the informed side.

Likewise, if they have taken twenty cruises with CLA but the topic under consideration is specific to Cruise Line B, then I can take their advice under advisement, but realize that it may not be applicable on a different line.

Same thing with regions/ports of call that have been visited, or with "elite" status. I've never been to Alaska, nor do I have any particular overwhelming interest in going there. I wouldn't be the best one to get advice from regarding Alaskan cruises.

I'm also not "elite" on any line -- I'm preparing for my fifth cruise and my fifth line, so I'm a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of person (if that). If someone wanted to know if they get free laundry, internet, concierge access, or <insert whatever perk> at a certain "elite status" level, I'm not your gal. I can say, "Well, I've seen people post here about <whatever the topic is>" but that's about it. But someone who *is* at that level would be a very credible source on the subject.

Life is what we make of it. If you choose to see everyone who lists their cruises/itineraries/"elite" level in their signature lines as narcissistic braggarts, you'll be giving yourself a jaded frame of mind. (Granted, some people ARE like that, but I believe they're in the minority overall.) Instead, if you make the choice to see these people as experienced travelers who are willing to share their information with fellow cruisers, it makes for a much less cynical experience while perusing the CC boards.

Just my personal opinion.....

I take your point on the whole "qualified opinion vs. novice" thing and whose opinions to respect more than others. But my point being (as others have noticed) is that there are serious cultural differences / misunderstandings at play here.

Where I grew up you get called a "wanker" for flaunting such things. Which is not as derogatory as it may sound - it can even be a term of endearment. Shane Warne is arguably one of the greatest cricketers since Don Bradman (google him if you need to - statistically he is a 100 miles better in his sport than your champion Babe Ruth - I'm not kidding), yet most Aussies probably agree that Shane Warne is "a bit of a wanker".

I've worked for an American company once and did soon learn that status is very important you folks. This mob would give people the wierdest titles just to make them feel better about getting paid 2 bits of bugger all with 2 weeks a year annual leave. I'm surprised they didn't even call the tea boy "Vice President in Charge of Domestic Affairs" (or VPCDA.... as wankers just love acronyms).

Anyway, as Peter Garrett once said before he sung "US Forces" live at the Hollywood Bowl, "no personal offence intended".

Peace love and mung beans.

Jono.

I take your point on the whole "qualified opinion vs. novice" thing and whose opinions to respect more than others. But my point being (as others have noticed) is that there are serious cultural differences / misunderstandings at play here.

Whatevs... I thought my whole post was rather even-minded, acknowledging that while there are SOME braggarts around, there's no need to automatically paint everyone with the same brush.

It's usually pretty easy to tell by someone's tone in their posts whether they're in it for the status or in it for clarity, but just a listing in the signature line doesn't typically have a 'tone' of its own.

I must have been having an off day when I posted that...Brits usually love me. :eek:

(and yes, that was a joke! ;))

Archived