The 10 people you will meet on your cruise

bordercollie

Some other people you will meet:

1. The negative Nellie's (see original post)

2. People who believe it is their responsibility to tell EVERYONE how to vacation (see original post)

3. Wonderfully friendly people you will want to stay in touch with forever.

4. Fun, zany people that you will never forget once you have been on a team or involved in some sort of competition with them.

5. Some of the hardest working folks you will ever have the privilege to know.

Very well said!

9: "The extremely tired"

These people take the elevator at all costs. Going up or down 1 floor? Yup, and they are too tired to walk down 1 flight of stairs.

Tip- IF YOU'RE ONLY GOING UP OR DOWN 2 FLOORS, TAKE THE STAIRS

For me I would have to disagree with #9. 2 things I find wrong is that a) I have disabled husband so we take the stairs whether just going 1 floor or 10 floors and b) I am on vacation. Even if I wasn't with my husband I would take the elevators. Why? because just what I said. I AM ON VACATION. I deserve to be lazy as I work 70-80 hours a week. LOL

The rest I can def agree with though. I have been on some very decent cruises and haven't had to experience most of these except unsupervised children (whether teenagers or not).

I don't let them get to me though because it is my vacation and I just don't care. :p

I'm still not understanding the whole tipping argument. We pay a service fee on board for basically anything we purchase (drinks, spa services, specialty restaurants). Our standard per day fee covers the rest. If a 3000 passenger ship has 500 employees that get some of the service fee, that means each one is getting about 72 a day, or just over $500 a week. Isn't this pretty reasonable?

funny...i was really looking forward to my first cruise next week, but now based on what the first person said...along with the person who seems to think it is right to trip kids that are running around...i am not so much. I think the original post was pretty judgmental. Seems like it is much easier to just enjoy yourself and not worry so much about what other people are doing, saying or how loud they are talking. I sincerely hope to never meet you on a cruise or in any other situation.

well said

Why are you so worried about others? Really, I don't see these people on my cruises because I don't care. I'm there to have fun and enjoy my vacation. If I let all the people who were different from me bother me, I'd have no fun at all.

Oh, and I am one of those loud talkers you seem to hate!

I'm still not understanding the whole tipping argument. We pay a service fee on board for basically anything we purchase (drinks, spa services, specialty restaurants). Our standard per day fee covers the rest. If a 3000 passenger ship has 500 employees that get some of the service fee, that means each one is getting about 72 a day, or just over $500 a week. Isn't this pretty reasonable?

Reasonable or not, your math is much more on target than OP's with the $140 for a 70+ hour week.

Cruising, like everything else in this world, is not for everyone, If you are prone to hallucinations, are extremely intolerant, or just palin like to complain, you might want to think about another type of vacation. Possibly one that includes a deserted island, as that is the only place you will be able to avoid all our behaviors that bother you so.

The #2 are taken care of with a foot in the aisle to trip over, the rest get a clamp on the shoulder and a jab in the back with the leg planted to take them to the floor. There is no excuse for this behavior and I have done this before and left them on the deck. Have had applause before also.

NOT a FLAME but Please be VERY careful in what you say and do. My husband has been a Sheriff's officer for 19 years and if he ever saw you do this his hand would be in your shoulder with a jab to your back and have you on the floor and handed over to ships security... especially is you did this to any of our children.

I've worked for an American company once and did soon learn that status is very important you folks. This mob would give people the wierdest titles just to make them feel better about getting paid 2 bits of bugger all with 2 weeks a year annual leave. I'm surprised they didn't even call the tea boy "Vice President in Charge of Domestic Affairs" (or VPCDA.... as wankers just love acronyms).

The Americans you've apparently interacted with aren't representative of all Americans. It's a big country. If you ever travel to different regions of the US, you will see we can be very different. I know it's shocking, but we don't always agree on things either. :p

#11. People who list every cruise they've been on / going on underneath their name on this forum. Or their status within their cruise line's loyalty program (eg. diamond or whatever) :p. It's like some international pissing match over who's got the biggest.... itinerary. :D

I promise not to descend to this level of narcissism.

Funny, I do it and I have NEVER taken it that way. My personal reason is if someone has a question about a particular cruise to ask away. I also look to see if someone might be going at the same time as myself. If I have a question about a particular cruise, and enjoy the persons post, I look and see and check if they did a review. Maybe to some degree, I am also proud because cruising was something a young child growing up in the ghetto could only dream of doing.

Hi everyone

I think that BorderCollie was bang on with the majority of her observations,,she is fully entitled to her opinions, and of course everyone is entitled to air theirs on here.

We are huge people watchers on vacation ( I'm British, it's part of our make up !) and yes we are never going to like everyone we see on a ship , or approve of

How people act on vacation. And yes we have a jolly good laugh about it in the cabin later on !!

But with the child issues she does have some valid points , we travel with two kids under eight , and we always ensure that they always behave ( or try to !) at meal times , we would never let them sit there with DS or IPads and play games at meal times or in shows, or make them sit in bars being entertained by a ' computer babysitter '

Families travelling with children should maybe take a little more time when choosing their cruise , and maybe choose a cruise line that would cater for the entire families needs.

We now always travel with RCCL due to their awesome children's facilities etc, ( before the kids always celebrity ) our kids have never ever been bored , we have never been in the bars with them, we would always visit inside bars whilst they are the kiddie club of an early evening.

Every morning we give the the choice whether they want to stay with us or go to the club , it is always the latter as they have a ball !

Leave the devices in the cabin, let them play with them once a day before bed , get their minds working . Utilise the free kids facilities , give your kids the attention they need , and yes I know it's a vacation and we all need a break , think before you book . Choose a cruise to suit the whole family not just the adults . Sometimes its Worth paying a little bit more to get the holiday that suits everyone.

Travelling in July on the Adventure with my family and cannot wait , as We need a break, but then again , so do the kids !!

Funny, I do it and I have NEVER taken it that way. My personal reason is if someone has a question about a particular cruise to ask away. I also look to see if someone might be going at the same time as myself. If I have a question about a particular cruise, and enjoy the persons post, I look and see and check if they did a review. Maybe to some degree, I am also proud because cruising was something a young child growing up in the ghetto could only dream of doing.

Even though I only have two cruises, I decided to do this for the very same reason. As a matter of fact I've had a couple of PMs from people who noticed I had sailed on a ship recently that they were sailing on in the near future, and they had questions either about the ship or the port. It was a nice feeling to be able to give back some of the help I've received from these forums.

As for what the OP wrote, some I agree with and some I don't, but I took the time to read between the lines a bit. The OP probably could have been more specific on elevators for example. Does anyone here honestly think the OP meant everyone, regardless of handicaps, should take the stairs? The way I read it was that people who could take the stairs for one or two flights should, freeing up elevator space for those who truly need them.

Another hot button topic is kids. Unless they're with their parents every minute of the cruise, they are going to get together in groups. That's what I would have done as a kid. The majority are going to be well behaved, but some won't. Even some that are will try to "score points" with the group they are part of. On one of my cruises I was on an elevator with an elderly couple. When we reached our deck the doors opened. Four kids tried to rush into the elevator. The woman that was part of the couple very politely asked the kids to back up so we could exit first. As soon as they rounded the corner, one of the kids (actually the most mild mannered looking one of the group) said loud enough for me to hear, but not the couple he was referring to, "stupid b****". This got a laugh from the rest of his pack. Point scored. It was sad though because the woman had done nothing to deserve it and I'm glad she didn't hear it.

One of the ones that gets me is the couple that forgets they have a cabin and are making out or pawing at each other so bad in public it causes you to turn red. I'm definitely not a prude by any means but some of these guys take it waaay too far in public. :eek:

Oye

my two cents.

#6 - just because some people dont give extra tips for everything and anything doesnt classify them as cheap. Some people save for a long time for vacations and the cruisline has identified that 10-12 dollars per person per day is the required gratuity. I see no need in calling people cheap.

#9 - why do you care who takes the stairs and why on earth are you wasting your vacation worrying about it. "Tired" is a perfectly acceptable reason to take the elevator for one flight if thats is what someone chooses to do. For me personally in the atrium i always take the elevator, yes, even for one floor because i dont like Open staircases where you can see through the stairs.

"The Line Cutter"

These people will cut you in line.... wherever a line may appear.... At the Buffet, Waiting to get off the ship, etc. They have no shame... It's their world, we're just squirrels trying to get a nut.

Tip- DONT CUT IN LINE!

2: "The Young Runners"

These people will literally run you over. Usually roving packs of teenagers that run around all the decks (usually by the pool at night). You will probably see them starting to form into groups on night 2 or 3 of your cruise. Once unfamiliar teens have time to form a social order they will pick an alpha male or female to lead them on their runs.

3: "The Watch Forgetter"

These people... well... they don't wear a watch. They show up 10-15 minutes late to everything. Most notably, they will show up late to the nightly show and stand in your way while looking for a seat or their friends and family.

Tip- IF YOU ARE LATE TO THE SHOW, GO TO THE NEXT ONE!

4: "The Super Casual"

They will wear tank tops, t-shirts, sweatpants, track suits, bathing suits... Not usually a problem... but they will wear them EVERYWHERE... including to the nice dining venues.

Tip- BRING ATLEAST 1 NICE OUTFIT

5: "The Bad Parent"

These parents don't care what their child is doing, as long as the child isn't annoying them. They let their child play video games and listen to their ipods at restaurants, the show... etc....The bad parent will also let their child sit in the front row at the theatre even though they aren't supposed to. I suppose the bad parent also has something to do with number 2 also.

Tip- DON'T BE A BAD PARENT

6: "The Cheap"

They won't tip.... ever. They feel their daily service charge is sufficient to tip everyone that serves them throughout the day.

Tip- BE GENEROUS. I PROMISE YOU WILL GET BETTER SERVICE. ALSO, IT FEELS GOOD.

7: "The Loud Talker"

They talk very loud. They want everyone to hear what they say... It doesn't matter where they are. Their favorite location to ruin your nice night is at the dining venues.

Tip- QUIET DOWN!

8: "The Master and Commander"

These people treat the cruise staff like garbage. It's as if they feel the staff is privileged to clean their room, serve them drinks, etc.... They treat all cruise staffers with disdain.

Tip- YOU'RE NOT ANY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE STAFF BUST THEIR BUTT 70+ HOURS A WEEK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NICE VACATION. TREAT THEM WELL

9: "The extremely tired"

These people take the elevator at all costs. Going up or down 1 floor? Yup, and they are too tired to walk down 1 flight of stairs.

Tip- IF YOU'RE ONLY GOING UP OR DOWN 2 FLOORS, TAKE THE STAIRS

10: "The bucket man"

These people will order a bucket of beer.... and carry it with them everywhere. Is it really necesary to order a bucket of beer? Then take it to dinner, the show, etc...

Tip- ORDER ONE DRINK AT A TIME PLEASE

Re #10...the reason people order beer in a bucket is because the cruise lines offer buy 5, get one free. I agree that it is tacky to carry these buckets everywhere, but people need to get them from the bar area to their room somehow...that is the only way these packages are sold! I always thought there should be a better way of doing this, however that is the responsibility of the cruise line not the passenger.

Hi Bordiecollie (love the name by the way)

I appreciate that you were making a few light hearted points and thank you for taking the time to make us smile.

I'm sure you weren't looking for an in depth, line by line critique and its a shame that some of the more po faced posters totally missed the humour (or should that be humor?).

While most of what the OP said is true and were lighthearted in nature, i'm still offended that he/she calls someone who doesnt tip extra "cheap" . That in my opinion is not lighthearted or funny in any way.

Now I don't agree totally with #9. I can walk/ run up many flights of stairs. I however can't do the same going down. I have a depth perception problem so it looks farther down than it is and I get dizzy and can fall down the stairs.

So yes sometimes I take the elevator down one floor

Me too. Since I fell going down the steps for the same reason (on the last night of a 9-night B2B cruise) and broke my leg, I am SUPER CAUTIOUS and also take the elevator going down even 1 floor. :( People often look at me like I'm either lazy or crazy!

I have found in life that people perceive things differently and sometimes people perceive things negativity when they really shouldn't and I think this is what we see in this post. I find 99% of the time people are great! A cruise is a very bad place for anyone with a low tolerance for people as there are so many of us in a small space. I like people and would rather look for the good in them than worry about how there conducting themselves. So why cant a person carry their beer around? Your free to carry your drink where you go. In all my cruises, maybe I have seen someone cut in the line once, maybe twice. Kids, there just being kids, letting their hair down a bit, like some adults do. Its vacation. Stop and say hello, I bet there nice young people having a blast. Why call the parents bad when you don't even know them? I would like to add one to the list of people I would rather not meet and that would be "judgmental" People who take to much time worrying what others are doing and judge them badly. BTY, That has to make for a not so great vacation for you. If I read your post and had never cruised, I probably would not have, you make cruising sound like a very unfriendly environment. I hope on your next cruise you can kick back and just let people do what makes them happy, after all there on vacation too. I agree there is a very small percentage of people who do not conduct themselves as they should and yes you will run across them from time to time, just move on and enjoy yourself.

12. that one couple - for some reason, you tend to run into that same couple in various locations. Luckily, they tend to be nice too.

Adding to the OP's list:

"That couple"

It's the one couple you talk to early on, like at embarkation, then keep running into them multiple times during your cruise. They tend to be really nice and fun to talk to. They're very outgoing, and exchange at least warm hellos with anyone they talked to at least once.

How true is that? Its kind creepy or weird how you "coincidently" seem to run into the same people all the time.....very cool none the less.

Cruise ships are large and can accomodate ALOT of people. From all over the world, all walks of life, different backgrounds and history and yes, behaviors and attitudes. When you are involved with a large venue with such a diverse group of people, not everyone will agree with how other people behave or act. If we were all the same and acted the same, this would be a pretty boring place and people watching wouldn't be fun at all. Not to take away anything from the OP, I found it humorous and true in some ways. Just sayin'....... thats all. :cool:

Be nice to one another and keep smiling. You're on a cruise vacation for crying out loud!! :D

#11. People who list every cruise they've been on / going on underneath their name on this forum. Or their status within their cruise line's loyalty program (eg. diamond or whatever) :p. It's like some international pissing match over who's got the biggest.... itinerary. :D

I promise not to descend to this level of narcissism.

Oh Jono, I list my cruises because otherwise I'd forget some. I'm just getting a bit older and my memory isn't what it was. I was thrilled the first time I got to take a cruise and I'm still thrilled when I get to go. I like to have the list to remind me. It's on here for my benefit, not to brag or anything.

Carol

In october 2011 my husband and I were on our honeymoon on the valor. One night we were in the mdr and there was a couple at a table next to us. The woman was staring at us the entire time! I would look at the corner of my eye and she would be looking, i looked over and she quickly stopped staring. She did this the entire time. It made me feel very unfomfortable. Luckily we her any time dining and didn't have to sit by her the entire week. Not sure what her deal was but we finished eating and left right away. Didn't even stay for dessert.

Just my 2 cents from a newbie...

5. Would you rather hear Angry Birds or screaming and whining? Hear Angry Birds or feel a roll being thrown at you? Parents cannot control EVERYthing their children do. Sometimes they pick the lesser of 2 evils and that lesser thing is Angry Birds.

8. Some people (myself included :() just have a louder voice than others. There are times I don't mean to be "extra loud" and I don't even realize it -- my husband will give me the hint and I'll quiet down. I don't mean for you to hear my conversation. I don't even realize I'm doing it. Some voices carry more than others. Sorry. :(

Archived