The 10 people you will meet on your cruise

bordercollie

Poor OP! You should know by now that this board is no place for fun and games. Cruise Critic is not a joke! You need to get serious! Stick to asking the same questions and making the same comments about the same topics over and over and over again! Trying to be funny and light hearted is against the rules! And whatever you do, dont talk about the people, the food, the ports, the cost of anything, the crew, the accomodations, the service, the activities, or God forbid, tipping or dining room attire! DO NOT say anything that could be misconstrued as a complaint. And Do Not ask a question that has been asked before! As a matter of fact dont say anything at all unless absolutely necessary! ;)

Well I had my first experience with #2 "the line cutters" as we were disembarking on New year's day. A family of 4 just walked up and stood in front of me. I politely told them that the end of the line was back around the corner and the daughter told be that they had been sitting in the area for a long time. I told her that I had been standing in the line for a long time and that her family was not getting in front of me. While this was taking place my daughter was in the powder room, she then came out and joined me. Once my daughter re joined the line, the son called me a hypocrite. Well the native New Yorker in me had had enough, my blood pressure went up 10 points. My daughter wanted to punch the kid's lights out. I must agree with the poster that cutting a line is not only rude but very aggressive behavior. It was a great Mother/Daughter cruise and this experience was the only blemish.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm #9. I did chuckle when I found myself on the list. :p

............ and don't forget the 11th:

11. The busybody who goes around complaining about all the things the other people are doing that don't meet with their approval. :D

Tsk-tsk ;)

I think I've seen this the most. People are always complaining about everything. Whether it be about other people or things on or off the ship. It could be something amazing to everyone else on the ship but they'll find something to complain about.

Ok Ok Ok..... I have become the bad guy (I am a guy by the way).

All I was trying to say was that I wish that everyone on board would think about the people around them on the boat.... We are all trying to enjoy ourselves... Sometimes, people are rude, don't have any manners, etc... It does bother me, but I do shrug it off. I just got off my last cruise two days before I wrote this post and I found more rude people on board in one day, than I have on all my previous cruises combined.

I love to cruise... It's the only way I vacation. As I've stated on multiple occasions on this board, 99% of the people you will meet on board are awesome people. But almost everytime I go on a cruise.. You will see the people I wrote about. It doesn't make them bad people, they just are who they are. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. For example, my mother doesn't tip anyone! I pick on her all the time for it! It doesn't make her a bad person....

The elevator situation... This one seems to upset the most people... I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone. My bad.

I still stand by what I wrote (except the elevator). You will meet these people. Wether they bother you or not, thats up to you.

The thing that I find the strangest is how people say they hope not to run in to me on a cruise... Thats fine... I get it... But I am the guy that will open the door for you, help on old lady across the street, find out your on your honeymoon and I'll send over a bottle of champagne, I'm quiet, I keep to myself, I follow the rules.... I am not a bad guy...

I was simply trying write about some obvservations that I have had while cruising.

And I do realizing that cruising is sort of a "cult". I know it's against the rules to criticize anything about cruising.... I wasn't trying to criticize cruising... afterall, I love it... I was just trying to have a little laugh. My bad for thinking that I could have a little fun on here with some fellow cruisers.

For those that have supported my original post THANK YOU! You've kept me from going into a deep depression :D

In october 2011 my husband and I were on our honeymoon on the valor. One night we were in the mdr and there was a couple at a table next to us. The woman was staring at us the entire time! I would look at the corner of my eye and she would be looking, i looked over and she quickly stopped staring. She did this the entire time. It made me feel very unfomfortable. Luckily we her any time dining and didn't have to sit by her the entire week. Not sure what her deal was but we finished eating and left right away. Didn't even stay for dessert.

Some folks are still amazed that people of color cruise too...

Poor OP! You should know by now that this board is no place for fun and games. Cruise Critic is not a joke! You need to get serious! Stick to asking the same questions and making the same comments about the same topics over and over and over again! Trying to be funny and light hearted is against the rules! And whatever you do, dont talk about the people, the food, the ports, the cost of anything, the crew, the accomodations, the service, the activities, or God forbid, tipping or dining room attire! DO NOT say anything that could be misconstrued as a complaint. And Do Not ask a question that has been asked before! As a matter of fact dont say anything at all unless absolutely necessary! ;)

Wait a minute....... isn't this called cruise "critic"? :rolleyes: teehee ;)

I wouldn't mind being on the same crusie as the OP. Him and I seem to be of the same understanding. Thank you for being light-hearted about it all and bringing some humor to the board. We all have choices in life everyday. Choose to let things affect you negatively or positively, its up to only you how you handle it. Personally, the negative one does you no good. I choose to be of the postive side of things.

Happy cruising al!

Ok Ok Ok..... I have become the bad guy (I am a guy by the way).

All I was trying to say was that I wish that everyone on board would think about the people around them on the boat.... We are all trying to enjoy ourselves... Sometimes, people are rude, don't have any manners, etc... It does bother me, but I do shrug it off. I just got off my last cruise two days before I wrote this post and I found more rude people on board in one day, than I have on all my previous cruises combined.

I love to cruise... It's the only way I vacation. As I've stated on multiple occasions on this board, 99% of the people you will meet on board are awesome people. But almost everytime I go on a cruise.. You will see the people I wrote about. It doesn't make them bad people, they just are who they are. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. For example, my mother doesn't tip anyone! I pick on her all the time for it! It doesn't make her a bad person....

The elevator situation... This one seems to upset the most people... I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone. My bad.

I still stand by what I wrote (except the elevator). You will meet these people. Wether they bother you or not, thats up to you.

The thing that I find the strangest is how people say they hope not to run in to me on a cruise... Thats fine... I get it... But I am the guy that will open the door for you, help on old lady across the street, find out your on your honeymoon and I'll send over a bottle of champagne, I'm quiet, I keep to myself, I follow the rules.... I am not a bad guy...

I was simply trying write about some obvservations that I have had while cruising.

And I do realizing that cruising is sort of a "cult". I know it's against the rules to criticize anything about cruising.... I wasn't trying to criticize cruising... afterall, I love it... I was just trying to have a little laugh. My bad for thinking that I could have a little fun on here with some fellow cruisers.

For those that have supported my original post THANK YOU! You've kept me from going into a deep depression :D

Most of what you said was in fact true but can also be true of just about anywhere people gather. I understand you were not trying to insult however as I posted in my earlier reply, 2 of your points I did find to be out of line but that is just my opinion. I made those points so I wont again. I can see the humour in most of what you pointed out.

In october 2011 my husband and I were on our honeymoon on the valor. One night we were in the mdr and there was a couple at a table next to us. The woman was staring at us the entire time! I would look at the corner of my eye and she would be looking, i looked over and she quickly stopped staring. She did this the entire time. It made me feel very unfomfortable. Luckily we her any time dining and didn't have to sit by her the entire week. Not sure what her deal was but we finished eating and left right away. Didn't even stay for dessert.

My daughter and I get stared at ALL the time and she reminds me: Mom, look at how we are dressed; it's our own fault!

We like to "dress to the nines" every chance we get while on the ships!

Just my 2 cents from a newbie...

8. Some people (myself included :() just have a louder voice than others. There are times I don't mean to be "extra loud" and I don't even realize it -- my husband will give me the hint and I'll quiet down. I don't mean for you to hear my conversation. I don't even realize I'm doing it. Some voices carry more than others. Sorry. :(

When I get excited about "something", sometimes my daughter will warn me that I am talking too loud (which is a good thing--the warning).

I saw some of that on DCL, ALL of it--and more--on RCCL. The only thing listed above that I saw on Windstar was "that couple" although with one or two exceptions, we really enjoyed everyone we sailed with.

Bottom line, the more mass market you sail, the more humanity of all types--good, bad, and ugly--you're going to be around.

Just to clarify...I do think I have a sense of humor. I just don't like the judgmental tone. I am about to go on a cruise with my parents, sister, brother in law, niece (12), nephew (15), husband and kids (12 and 13). Some of my most favorite memories are times when my niece, nephew and boys make me laugh so hard that I actually have to excuse myself from the table. Life is short and we all have enough stresses. When I go on vacation I don't think about what others look like, talk like, or behave. I am just focused on the people I love. I would hate to think that someone would judge me or my family for "aghast..talking too loud". More than that, I was totally offended by the person that posted that they feel its appropriate to trip and kick kids that are running around on the ship. They are kids. I have a son with special needs that wants to enjoy this trip - if he acts inappropriate does that mean someone should "punish him" and everyone should clap. And no - he doesn't need constant supervision so he won't be tied to me the entire cruise - he will be spending time with his cousins. I just think we should appreciate the fact that there are many different people in the world and have a sense of humor...not put down those that are different then ourselves. Just MHO.

Most things don’t bother me or I just don’t pay attention to little things; after all I'm on vacation. I could care less if someone needs to get a pad of butter or piece of bread or is in a rush and got in front of me in line. I could care less who uses the elevator, as long as I can eventually get on. I could care less how much anyone else tips or their reason for not tipping or tipping more. As long as I’m on time, don’t care who is there or not or when they come in. Don’t care if someone carries 1 or 100 drinks around, as long as they are happy and they don't spill them on me.

Here are the things that bother me:

1. People that are rude to staff.
  2. People that use their hands to pick up food on the buffet.
  3. Women that don't wash their hands when leaving the restroom (would have also said men, but I'm never in their restroom).
  4. Judgmental people - people that complain or make fun of others.

Please OP, do not feel a need to justify your post or apologize. While it was not hysterically funny, I think anyone can clearly tell this was meant in a light hearted fashion.

Those of you with issues with this post - lighten up a bit. No one is talking about your precious child or expecting a one legged man to walk up 9 flights of stairs.

It's a message board about going on vacation. Sheesh.

I enjoyed reading this whole thread. I dont believe the OP meant any harm or to pick on anyone. I find it hard to believe that all the "I have NEVER SEEN THAT" people are for real.

I have raised 2 kids. Even on vacation, they were never allowed to act like fools in public. Sit at dinner, use your manners and eat your dinner. Its only 2 hours and a good learning experience. So when I am subjected to a child who is old enough to act right who is mouthy, squirmy and just rude, and the parents act like they are in la la land, it irrates me. This includes the roaming teens.

DISCLAIMER: I should put this in so I dont get flamed: I have worked with special needs children and I am not referencing them. In those cases a understanding smile to the overly stressed parents helps to show that I am not upset at the child they were gifted with raising.

As for the elevator, I understood what the OP meant. I have a back issue and stairs bother me. So I take the elevator when needed. However, I do have to chuckle at some of the people who rush in, try to beat the scooters, and honestly are just rude. I step back and wait. I am never in a hurry and have been known to hold the door and others out of the way in order to let my elders on first. (and thats because I was raised right, and was not allowed to "act a fool" as my Mom would say!)

I had to LOL last night... I was out with my son, celebrating his 13th birthday. At one point, he commented about using his "phone" (it's really an MP3 player with an Android operating system, like an iPod Touch, but we call it his "phone" because it's a lot easier than calling it his "Android-based MP3 player") and how it would be really rude of him to play Angry Birds in the restaurant (we were at Carrabbas) with the sound on and how annoying that would be for everyone there.

I swear to goodness, he doesn't even know that this thread exists -- he doesn't even know this website exists! But I had to smile about it... it was almost like he had some sort of psychic connection to this thread.

(And I also smiled about the fact that I obviously did SOMEthing right in raising him, that he knew without being told how inappropriate it would be. I may not be a perfect mother, but I do manage to do some things right! ;))

When I get excited about "something", sometimes my daughter will warn me that I am talking too loud (which is a good thing--the warning).

Glad I'm not the only one, I mean a daughter or a sister, who says talk quieter.

Funny...I was really looking forward to my first cruise next week, but now based on what the first person said...along with the person who seems to think it is right to trip kids that are running around...I am not so much. I think the original post was pretty judgmental. Seems like it is much easier to just enjoy yourself and not worry so much about what other people are doing, saying or how loud they are talking. I sincerely hope to never meet you on a cruise or in any other situation.

Don't worry. People with this attitude seem to be in the minority on cruises. Most people are there to enjoy themselves, and are friendly and kind. You will occasionally meet a few that are not so great, just like on land, but if you focus on your family and having a good time, you will do just that.

I read a post that I really liked that said - paraphrasing here - if something is uncomfortable or if you don't like something, go somewhere else. I am going to keep that in mind on future vacations. You aren't captive and can just walk away from people who are rude.

I do really dislike it when parents decide to drop their parenting responsibilities on the dock before boarding, but I also have no problem telling kids to knock off their nonsense. I don't trip them. I've perfected a glare that is pretty effective, though. lol If I am somewhere that walking away is not an option (a packed show I really want to see?), the glare comes in handy.

Go and have a wonderful time!

Archived