The 10 people you will meet on your cruise

bordercollie

Funny...I was really looking forward to my first cruise next week, but now based on what the first person said...along with the person who seems to think it is right to trip kids that are running around...I am not so much. I think the original post was pretty judgmental. Seems like it is much easier to just enjoy yourself and not worry so much about what other people are doing, saying or how loud they are talking. I sincerely hope to never meet you on a cruise or in any other situation.

I don't think this thread was supposed to be taken that seriously. Please, I hope you enjoyed your first cruise, I used to read this forum daily months before my first cruise and it was a blast. :p

#11. People who list every cruise they've been on / going on underneath their name on this forum. Or their status within their cruise line's loyalty program (eg. diamond or whatever) :p. It's like some international pissing match over who's got the biggest.... itinerary. :D

I promise not to descend to this level of narcissism.

Oh well. I guess it had to happen eventually.

Finally ..... someone has risen beyond my level of snarkiness.:(

Who da thunk it?

::SIGH::

Gonna go see my therapist now.

My daughter and I get stared at ALL the time and she reminds me: Mom, look at how we are dressed; it's our own fault!

We like to "dress to the nines" every chance we get while on the ships!

This is going to be my daughter on our 4 night cruise in August. She's planning to bring 4-5 nice dresses and will surely wear them all. We'll also be the 'gawkers' :o ... since I have only been on one cruise before (and that was decades ago) and this will be her first.

Although I'm going to try a secure myself a poolside lounge chair (and she will too) as frequently as possible, I promise to only leave my towel on it while I'm actually in the pool (or grabbing a drink from wherever).

You definitely won't hear us talking loudly though I must confess I've been known to step around someone in a buffet line if they've stopped at an item that doesn't interest me. :o In my opinion, it does no harm and in fact speeds up the wait of those behind ME. Can't say I've done this on a cruise and the only one I've taken was too long ago to remember most details, but you might catch me doing so on the Enchantment in August.

There's a good chance you might see me taking the elevator too. Although I may not look my age, I am a bit ... older ... now, AND I have weak ankles and have been known to fall down more than I like to admit.

I shall try to be kind to ... and tolerant of ... of my fellow cruisers.

We have run into this situation on a couple of cruises: We sit down to dinner to find a couple that is older than our parents. (Keep in mind we're in our mid 50's) and they are so shocked to find out that we are not going to A) change tables B) go to the buffet or specialty dining or C) ignore them. What? They are always quite charming and have so many wonderful stories. By taking a little extra effort to connect (found out later he was just a little shy because he was hard of hearing) we were gifted with the tale of the day he liberated a concentration camp in Poland at the end of WWII. Good manners and friendly attitudes are ageless.

OP I'm sure you meant this as a fun thread, but a lot of it is really kind of mean. :(

A little mean maybe - but sadly true of many.

while 50% of those she speaks about have genuine reasons for their actions and should therefore not be judged, the other 50% who don't care who they annoy are simply

rude,

bad mannered,

ignorant,

obnoxious,

or all of the above.

Bordercollie would certainly not be the only person who feels as she does; just a very rare one game to come out and say so, and I'm sure a lot of readers who won't post will be cheering loudly.

Sadly though it takes all kinds in this world, and not just on cruise ships ..... and those people have as much right to be on the ships as the first 50%.

Luckily most of the people we have met on our cruises have been wonderful. Last April my girlfriend and I went on the Explorer 9 day cruise, left the husbands home. We tendered in Samana While waiting to get back on the tender at the end of the day we were in line, in front of us was a young couple and behind us was an older couple. THe older woman was complaining to her husband as loud as she could because some of the crew did not speak enough English as she thought they should. And, another ship was there, can't remember but might have been a Regent ship, they passengers were getting cold bottled water and cold wash clothes. She wanted to know why we did not. Her last comment was: For what I paid for this cruise these people should kiss my .....well, you know the next word. I thought the young men in front of me was going to kill her. Good thing the tender showed up.

on a sea day, four young boys had confiscated one of the elevators. Push all the buttons. Sit on the floor so people had to step around or over them. Nobody said anything to them. I decided to act. Wearing my cell phone, i pressed the ring tone. It got their attention. I then spoke into phone to no one. "security here. We have a problem on elevator 2". As soon as the door opened, they were gone. As a group, everytime they saw me on the lido deck, they went the other way. I find my fun anyway i can. ;)

Love it :D

I'm gonna be the elevator gal.

I'll just be making frequent trips to stash buffet goodies for late night snacks! Lolz.

At the end of the day my meds make me exhausted :o I'm hoping this cruise will reinvigorate me.

Ill also be the one who may be sitting alone, chillaxin, and non creepily ppl watching, ill also be the obscenely Twilight-Vampire pale gal. No sparkling in the sun for me :cool:

I'm quiet and shy. Unless I fall overboard like in that Goldie Hawn movie, you won't notice me at all.

I'm excited actually. Ill be on NWC Gem 4/27-5/4 out of NYC. Is there anyone else going? (I'm a noober here)Is there a thread where ppl on same cruise can chat?

Where do we get the countdown widgets?

Thanks for any responses I get. I appreciate it :)

Is there anyone else going? (I'm a noober here)Is there a thread where ppl on same cruise can chat?

Where do we get the countdown widgets?

Thanks for any responses I get. I appreciate it :)

Go to the Roll Call Board.

Then NCL.

Then your ship.

Then find your specific cruise.

Ok Ok Ok..... I have become the bad guy (I am a guy by the way).

All I was trying to say was that I wish that everyone on board would think about the people around them on the boat.... We are all trying to enjoy ourselves... Sometimes, people are rude, don't have any manners, etc... It does bother me, but I do shrug it off. I just got off my last cruise two days before I wrote this post and I found more rude people on board in one day, than I have on all my previous cruises combined.

I love to cruise... It's the only way I vacation. As I've stated on multiple occasions on this board, 99% of the people you will meet on board are awesome people. But almost everytime I go on a cruise.. You will see the people I wrote about. It doesn't make them bad people, they just are who they are. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. For example, my mother doesn't tip anyone! I pick on her all the time for it! It doesn't make her a bad person....

The elevator situation... This one seems to upset the most people... I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone. My bad.

I still stand by what I wrote (except the elevator). You will meet these people. Wether they bother you or not, thats up to you.

The thing that I find the strangest is how people say they hope not to run in to me on a cruise... Thats fine... I get it... But I am the guy that will open the door for you, help on old lady across the street, find out your on your honeymoon and I'll send over a bottle of champagne, I'm quiet, I keep to myself, I follow the rules.... I am not a bad guy...

I was simply trying write about some obvservations that I have had while cruising.

And I do realizing that cruising is sort of a "cult". I know it's against the rules to criticize anything about cruising.... I wasn't trying to criticize cruising... afterall, I love it... I was just trying to have a little laugh. My bad for thinking that I could have a little fun on here with some fellow cruisers.

For those that have supported my original post THANK YOU! You've kept me from going into a deep depression :D

I mostly got what you were saying in your OP but wasn't sure if you were coming at it from a tongue in cheek angle or a bitter old ninny angle. I got thrown off by your IN ALL CAPS comments on tipping, your buckets of beer comment, and other's obviously took offense to the elevator thing.

Tip- BE GENEROUS. I PROMISE YOU WILL GET BETTER SERVICE. ALSO, IT FEELS GOOD.

Tipping: I know that on our first cruise in 1996 we didn't have extra money to hand out "extra" tips. We tipped the amount the cruise line told us we should. That didn't make us bad people. Just like we used to tip the standard 15% at restaurants. We now have enough money that we can hand out extra cash for people that give us good service such as 20+ % at restaurants. Hopefully there are enough of us on each cruise that it boosts the crews standard pay up a notch but I certainly wouldn't judge a person for not going above the standard. Maybe they saved for a year or two just to afford their dream cruise in an inside cabin. Good for them and as long as they don't go to the purser's desk on the last night of the cruise and remove all the service charges from their account because their bar bill maxed out their credit card I'm not gonna judge them or think they are cheap. And you're right, it always feels good to go the extra mile for people whether it's with tipping or just being courteous and holding a door for someone or letting someone in while sitting in traffic. It's called building good Karma.

Tip- ORDER ONE DRINK AT A TIME PLEASE

Buckets of beer: Maybe you didn't realize that cruise lines offer a 6 for the price of 5 on these? Even though I can afford to pay full price for individual beers I still like a deal when it is offered and it leaves me more money to give out extra tips (as if a six pack of beer for $25 vs. $30 is a deal but that's a different conversation). I'm not gonna put the 3 beers I didn't drink at the pool in my pocket and carry them back to my Room or the Dining Room. Hence the bucket.

Elevators: From reading your follow up posts you obviously weren't talking about people with health problems so hopefully everyone settles down and realizes you made a mistake, admitted it, and apologized. To be honest, I have been guilty of looking at otherwise healthy looking people taking elevators and thought the same thing. I never thought about a 30 year old with arthritis, my bad, from now on I will remember that. Also, I know that when my wife wears heels she doesn't like to go down stairs and will take the elevator for just a floor or two. Going up on the other hand, she'll climb from deck 4 to 14 so it's not an issue of being lazy.

Please don't hang yourself, Anyone that reads your follow up posts should realize it was meant as tongue in cheek and actually agree with a lot your assessments. I'm pretty sure it was the delivery that threw some people into a frenzy. It's been known to happen sometimes on internet forums. ;)

The #2 are taken care of with a foot in the aisle to trip over, the rest get a clamp on the shoulder and a jab in the back with the leg planted to take them to the floor. There is no excuse for this behavior and I have done this before and left them on the deck. Have had applause before also.

In my opinion there is just something seriously wrong with you!

• 2 weeks later...

reading some of the post but not all of it.

I have found this interesting, and sad how folks can take things wrong or become unfriendly in a post.

Each one of us is different and that what makes the world go round and round. It would be boring if we all agreed and was the same.

Some things I found to be humorist ( may have spelled that wrong)

I do have to agree some folks as to take the elevator even if it for one floor, and when we say things that may be humor to us could be taken wrong by those that has problems.

I have RA and 2 herria dic in my back. At times I can take the stairs but other times my back is hurting so bad I can't. Plus I liike to take elevators much more than walking steps..

Loud talkers, well I'm one of them, don't like to be but am.. I was bought up that way and I remember the first time someone pointed out to me that I was, I was shocked but started to learn to quited it down more. Yet at times I find myself being over loud and don't mean to be.. So at times they may know they are loud but can't help themselves. I know I wouldn't like someone to be loud, so I work hard not to be..

I also like to add another kind of person.. that would be first cruisers that has so many questions and are the little fish in the pond.. I'm talking mostly about myself.. This will be my first cruise and I know I want to take it all in, and will be asking lots of questions. So if you going to be on the Magic on the week of the April 21st watch out for me, or better run for you life... for I will be the little fish in the big pond asking and seeking out all kinds of things, and could stop in my track..

Like my husband used to tell me I wish I could put tail lights on you to know when you are going to stop.. so first cruisers could be a very interesting person to met, but with me, run for your life..

Let each one of us take ourself with a touch of humor, laught at ourselves, and not be so timid when something hits us.. and let's make up when we hurt one another feelings.

Continue on.. and I'll catch you later.

PS. on the teens running sad thing about that, someone could get hurt. Oh I remember how I ended up with almost stitches above my eye due to running teens trying to get somewhere when I was pushed and shoved into a table that cut my eye..

Don't run when you can walk, it much safer that way.

Archived