American Queen-3/24/13-Memphis to New Orleans

CraftsOnCruises

Is anybody out there scheduled to cruise on the American Queen, on March 24? Although I am a veteran cruiser (I have taught arts & crafts on several Princess and Royal Caribbean cruises) and have done three river cruises with Vantage Travel, this will be my first on the American Queen. At 50, I'm sure I will be one of the baby geezers on the ship, but I will also be traveling with my 85 year old mom.

We are really looking forward to the cruise and look forward to hearing from anybody who will be on our sailing! :D

• 2 months later...

We are going at the end of April so I would love to hear about your trip. I posted a roll call for our cruise but no response there either. I guess river cruisers don't know about Cruise Critic! Have fun and please report back!

We are going at the end of April so I would love to hear about your trip. I posted a roll call for our cruise but no response there either. I guess river cruisers don't know about Cruise Critic! Have fun and please report back!

I am very excited about the cruise! If you would like, you can follow my blog. I already posted a pre-cruise entry and will blog as time permits. Check it out at: www.ElaineiaKsTravels.Wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

I have completed my online photo album from my Memphis to New Orleans cruise. Included in the album are several photos of the ship, including dinners in the dining room. There are also several port photos, including our pre-cruise in Memphis and post-cruise in New Orleans. I invite you to check them out at: www.ExquisiteCards.fototime.com . Scroll past the cards to my travel photo albums; it is located near the bottom of the page.

I hope you enjoy!

Elaine

I have completed my online photo album from my Memphis to New Orleans cruise.

Elaine

Thanks for the photos

one question

I am still confused about the dining

It is set dining time for dinner but do you sit at the same table with the same people every night or is open dining where you choose who to sit with but at the same time??

Hope that makes sense

Lyn

We just got back from the June 1 Memphis-New Orleans cruise. We had requested early seating for dinner (5:15 pm) but you do not get your table assignment until you check into the boat (your check-in for the boat is at the pre-cruise hotel, in our case the Marriott in Memphis, the day the boat sails).

At that time, we got our dinner table assignment and that's the same table we had every night. There were 5 in our party so we had a table for 5 but you can have a table for 2 or they can put you at a table with others. But it's the same table every night. If you don't want to go to the dining room you can go to the buffet on the Front Porch and sit wherever you want. Or there is also room service. In the dining room for breakfast and lunch, it is open seating with no table assignment (they will ask you if you want a table by yourself or if you want to join another table when they seat you).

Thanks for the photos

one question

I am still confused about the dining

It is set dining time for dinner but do you sit at the same table with the same people every night or is open dining where you choose who to sit with but at the same time??

Hope that makes sense

Lyn

There are two seatings for dinner and you will have a set dining time with a table assignment. So, you will dine at the same time each night, as well as with the same people, unless you opt to dine casually at the Front Porch.

There are two seatings for dinner and you will have a set dining time with a table assignment. So, you will dine at the same time each night, as well as with the same people, unless you opt to dine casually at the Front Porch.

Got it

Thanks

Lyn, we sailed two legs back to back last year. On the first leg we had fixed dining. We're no a fan of fixed dining, either, and we've had some bad experiences with enforced tablemates in the past, so we opted for a table for 2. It was by a window and very nice.

On the second leg, they experimented with open dining. the boat was not full, so it worked very well. We could sit with anyone, at any table. We had already met several neat fellow passengers, so had dinner with a different group each night. We still tended to dine at roughly the same time. We eat early at home, so early sitting is good for us.

The kitchen is small, so open dining probably would not work well with the boat more full. I don't mind two sittings and dining at the same time each evening, but I really do object to having to eat with the same people every night. I think a hybrid of traditional and open dining would work very well, where you would come at the same fixed time each night to accommodate the kitchen, but sit wherever and with whomever, subject to availability. That way, the folks who like to sit at the same table, with the same people and the same waiters could do so, while those of us who like to "float" and meet new friends and try out new servers could do so.

Maybe I'll suggest it for a try before we board in August.

Don

I would not mind the set dining time but would prefer to sit with new people each night ..

I am sure that would work for both passenger & cruise line

On a couple of the small ships we have tried that is how it works but only 1 sitting but you could sit anywhere

Lyn

Lyn, I've sent a message to AQ with my idea of a hybrid dining experience; if I hear anything back I'll let you. Since Tim left AQ, I've lost my "inside" contact :confused:.

Let's hope they like the idea

Archived