Catholic priest on board ????

Chuluota

Our cruise mate was asking if there would be a Priest on board to perform Mass on Sunday while we are at sea ???

There normally is - and there is normally daily mass as well:)

One of regular posters serves on board at times

Welcome to cruise critic and the HAL board - ask away and we will try to help.

As I understand it, HAL books a Catholic priest on all its cruises, but if the priest has an emergency at the last minute, they may not have the time to find a substitute.

I have been on two HAL cruises and we had daily Mass offered on both.

They may not always be Catholic - last cruise we were on the 'Priest' had a wife (very lovely people) but obviously not Catholic.

Not being religous (although baptised RC), we didn't question their denomination but knew he conducted church services on board and his wife ran craft classes.

They may not always be Catholic - last cruise we were on the 'Priest' had a wife (very lovely people) but obviously not Catholic.

Not being religous (although baptised RC), we didn't question their denomination but knew he conducted church services on board and his wife ran craft classes.

Just found this on the website:

Are Religious Services Available?

In order to serve the spiritual needs of our guests, we provide the following services. Your Daily Program will list times and locations.

Catholic

: Mass is held daily.

Interdenominational

: An interdenominational service is conducted each Sunday and on appropriate religious holidays.

Jewish

: A Sabbath Eve is held each week. Anyone wishing to volunteer to lead this service should contact the Cruise Director. A Rabbi is on board for High Holiday services.

You guys are awesome !!! I think we are going to be very comfortable here !!!

We are sailing on the 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise this Feb.

Thanks again!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Have a wonderful cruise in February. Please come back and let us know how you liked it.

Still could be RC...a friend mentioned to me that there is a new priest at her church who is a former Episcopalian priest (and my Episcopal church as 2 priests that were formerly RC!!)

Our cruise mate was asking if there would be a Priest on board to perform Mass on Sunday while we are at sea ???

HAL normally has a Catholic Priest on board that has a daily mass - time varies on sea day versus port day and Saturday/Sunday versus weekday. On our Amazon cruise on the Prinsendam the Priest missed the ship so we did not have one for that cruise. The Priest also does a mass for the crew late at night and guests are welcome to attend that also. Mass time is normally scheduled to be over in time to make the early fixed dining times.

I noticed you are new to CC. You may want to check the roll call section and see if there is a roll call going for your particular cruise.

You guys are awesome !!! I think we are going to be very comfortable here !!!

We are sailing on the 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise this Feb.

Thanks again!!!

Are you on the Noordam on 2-18-13 for 11 days?

If so I can direct you to our Rollcall for that cruise.

Curious about the "Interdenominational Service". Is that with a minister of the Protestant church...various denominations?

Shiela, I'm pretty sure it's conducted by the Priest on shorter cruises (I know himself has reported conducting it on some of his Alaska cruises). On the longer cruises (I think 14 days or more there is a Protestant minister, who could come from a number of denominations). RevNeal is a Methodist, but the refrence books used for hymns and liturgy come from an interfaith group.

Roy

Shiela, I'm pretty sure it's conducted by the Priest on shorter cruises (I know himself has reported conducting it on some of his Alaska cruises). On the longer cruises (I think 14 days or more there is a Protestant minister, who could come from a number of denominations). RevNeal is a Methodist, but the refrence books used for hymns and liturgy come from an interfaith group.

Roy

Himself weighing in on the topic. When there is no minister assigned the priest does the interdenominatioal service on the ship. I have done this many times.

Archived