Importance of Using a Travel Agent.

Do you use a travel agent?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a travel agent?

Mellowgirl - The calls from the cruise line have to go out in some priority; they can't just blast these fare reductions or category increase offers out to all booked customers at once and whomevers call goes thru gets first choice. Maybe you're suggesting that those booked thru favored, big-time agencies go first. Maybe its based on their particular loyalty club (Captains Circle, etc.). Some group has to get first dibs - I think its those booked direct.

Peter

Calls go out based on the day the cruise was booked einstein, you cant expect to book a cruise in a certain category 5 months after 100 other people have and just because you booked direct get a phone call first

They do not go out first to people who booked direct, you can beleive what you like, which you are already very good at.

Funny how us TA's are labelled as "no good", yet we keep coming up with the answers to these things.

Well that should ease all of your client's minds. If you feel like it you'll call them, if you don't you won't; or if you forget, they'll never know. Wow, what service!

Here is what you have never done in your life - as a passenger, booked direct with the cruise line WHERE THE CRUISE LINE BOOKING AGENT GETS THE COMMISSION AND THE TA ISN'T INVOLVED IN THE TRANSACTION IN ANY WAY. So, I ask again, how do you know what the cruise line will or won't do when rates go down. I say, the cruise line will first take care of those passengers who booked direct with them (again, no TA involved in the booking) and then the bookings thru TA's who may or may not pass that along to their clients.

Peter

I don't know where or how you interpreted that I sometimes choose to call my client and sometimes choose not to just on a whim. If anyone can point out where I had indicated that I'd sure like to know.

Mellowgirl - The calls from the cruise line have to go out in some priority; they can't just blast these fare reductions or category increase offers out to all booked customers at once and whomevers call goes thru gets first choice. Maybe you're suggesting that those booked thru favored, big-time agencies go first. Maybe its based on their particular loyalty club (Captains Circle, etc.). Some group has to get first dibs - I think its those booked direct.

Peter

Interesting theory. Mine is that the cruise lines call whomever they feel they can get the results they need from quickest in order to rectify an overbooking situation in a particulary category and or on a particulary sailing.

For example:

Let's say a cruise line has overbooked category "ABC" that has a total of 100 cabins. And that Peter has booked himself in that category. And that my colleagues and I happen to have booked 25 of those cabins on that sailing. I think that the cruise line would contact an agent from our office to advise us of the situation, as collectively we would have control over 25% of the total category passengers, long before they would contact Peter individually and offer him something in the means of an upgrade for his reservation.

As TA's that provide personalized service, we know which of our clients would most likely be flexible with their reservations and either move cabins or sailings if offered an incentive to do so. We would then contact our respective clients to make such offers etc etc, thus getting the results much more efficiently than the cruise line would have been able to do so by calling passengers that booked directly in an effort to entice them to agree to move or switch sailings.

This is not just a hypothetical example based on nothing more than my opinion, it does happen. I'm not suggesting that the cruise line will always inform a high volume booking agency first, what I'm saying is that they will start with whatever will get them the results needed in the most efficient manner when it comes to the effort required of them. If there is any one source that has a fairly large % of control over the cabin category they need to make adjustments to, that is where they will likely begin.

Calls go out based on the day the cruise was booked einstein, you cant expect to book a cruise in a certain category 5 months after 100 other people have and just because you booked direct get a phone call first

They do not go out first to people who booked direct, you can beleive what you like, which you are already very good at.

Funny how us TA's are labelled as "no good", yet we keep coming up with the answers to these things.

I'm confused. Mr. Cruise says they're done by who can fix the problem the fastest and you're saying its by whoever booked first. So you would say if the first 100 bookings were direct, the cruise line would contact the passengers. What Mr. Cruise is saying is that if the 101st booking was thru a travel agency and involved 20 people, the cruise line would contact the travel agency and skip the first 100.

You know what, I'm willing to admit that mine is a theory. Are you two guys willing to admit you don't know for sure, either??

Peter (otherwise known as cave man einstien)

I'm confused. Mr. Cruise says they're done by who can fix the problem the fastest and you're saying its by whoever booked first. So you would say if the first 100 bookings were direct, the cruise line would contact the passengers. What Mr. Cruise is saying is that if the 101st booking was thru a travel agency and involved 20 people, the cruise line would contact the travel agency and skip the first 100.

You know what, I'm willing to admit that mine is a theory. Are you two guys willing to admit you don't know for sure, either??

Peter (otherwise known as cave man einstien)

why would i admit that i dont know for sure when i know my answer is right?

Hi Peter,

As I posted, mine is most definitely my theory/opinion based on actual experiences and discussions with cruise line employees.

Interesting theory. Mine is that the cruise lines call whomever they feel they can get the results they need from quickest in order to rectify an overbooking situation in a particulary category and or on a particular sailing.

It's difficult to confirm this or any theory 100%, that's why they are called theories. And I do not know if the cruise lines would provide me or anyone else with their formula for deciding who to call in these situations if asked.

After reading Mike's post, I feel that there is most definitely a strong possiblity that it could be a combination of both, or potentially one defaulting to the other when the first choice doesn't acheive the desired results.

Irregardless, I will definitively state that I do not agree with Peter's theory. Not because it's Peter's theory, but simply because there is no evidence to support it.

i will further clarify my statement.

calls are based on booking date, and then done on a first come first serve basis.

for example, if they have 10 upgrades available, they will call the first 20 people (for example) who booked into a certain category, cruise line will tell me it is then first come first serve.

so it may not be the 10 earliest people who booked, it will be the first 10 that call back out of the number of calls they made, so it could be anybody in the first 20 calls they made.

i just had this happen a few weeks ago with a client of mine on the Star in november......call was made to me, i was told about the upgrade and then notified it was a first come first serve basis, based on the calls she had made.....i contacted my client within 5 minutes and they accepted the upgrade and are now sailing in a mini suite for approx. 600 dollars less per person then what it would normally cost.

i will further clarify my statement.

calls are based on booking date, and then done on a first come first serve basis.

for example, if they have 10 upgrades available, they will call the first 20 people (for example) who booked into a certain category, cruise line will tell me it is then first come first serve.

so it may not be the 10 earliest people who booked, it will be the first 10 that call back out of the number of calls they made, so it could be anybody in the first 20 calls they made.

i just had this happen a few weeks ago with a client of mine on the Star in november......call was made to me, i was told about the upgrade and then notified it was a first come first serve basis, based on the calls she had made.....i contacted my client within 5 minutes and they accepted the upgrade and are now sailing in a mini suite for approx. 600 dollars less per person then what it would normally cost.

Well there you go Mr. Cruise - both of our theories were wrong. You know, I have read these boards for years and one of the most asked question is "how do upgrades work?" Finally, we have found someone who knows for sure. I am personally going to acknowledge Langdak04 whenever I pass along the answer to those questions.

Attention Board Monitor!!! I think this is cruise breaking news. You should do one of those community news bulletins announcing that Langdak04 has broken the code of how cruise lines award upgrades. It's not what everyone thought. Most felt it was who had paid the most for the category that is being upgraded from. Some thought it surely had something to do with the loyalty programs of the cruise lines. But now we know. The entire cruise world should be made immediately aware of this discovery. Halleluliah!!!

Peter

Well there you go Mr. Cruise - both of our theories were wrong. You know, I have read these boards for years and one of the most asked question is "how do upgrades work?" Finally, we have found someone who knows for sure. I am personally going to acknowledge Langdak04 whenever I pass along the answer to those questions.

Attention Board Monitor!!! I think this is cruise breaking news. You should do one of those community news bulletins announcing that Langdak04 has broken the code of how cruise lines award upgrades. It's not what everyone thought. Most felt it was who had paid the most for the category that is being upgraded from. Some thought it surely had something to do with the loyalty programs of the cruise lines. But now we know. The entire cruise world should be made immediately aware of this discovery. Halleluliah!!!

Peter

You have been around for a few years? WOW....and you didnt know the answer to this?

That really surprises me, considering you stick your nose into everything.

You Peter are the end all, be all, of unknowledgeable people.

I think i may phone a couple of book companies and see if i can start a biography on you.........might net me a few bucks..........actually maybe not, because a one page book with the words "unknowlegeable & arrogant" may not sell too many copies.

Ah, the fun of the internet.....its a great place to find people who can never admit that they are wrong, but try and find other ways to drive people down just to cover up their own lack of knowledge.

Okay guys. Ya'll need to take a time out! Is there another subject we can move on to? Tensions are getting high, and you really are not getting anywhere with one another.

By the way, what WAS the original topic of this thread by the way? I feel sure that those who check in on that are not finding any of this very useful. You guys may very well be the only ones left on this thread....

:) If you have the time you could do what I do , find the price from the cruise line, work on-line TA's for their price, contact my local travel agent and let her and her office meet or beat all other offers. She has for some time done so, but if I had not told her what the lowest prine was on-line, she and/or her offrice may not have given me the final price that I received. Then she also gives me some appreciation gifts.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Didn't know my post was going to generate such a dialog. I think most of us active in today's industry are extremely passionate about what we do. We really are trying to provide a service for our clients. However, technology is phasing out the travel agent, whether we want to admit it or not. One previous poster mentioned the airlines, hotels & car rental companies. Yes they have all gone direct, yes they phased out travel agents (mostly). But look at the problems the airlines are having because they undercharge for their product.

Industries that are based on price drive themselves into the ground along with the quality of the product. I am all about technology and automation, and so are the cruise lines, which is why they are phasing us out, slowly. A big part of the problem here is that the cost of a cruise hasn't really gone up at a pace that matches the cost of living. I am all about a great deal, but why is it that price seems to be the only factor that drives business? So many of you speak of service, but yet would turn on your TA in a heartbeat for a lower price. There is very little loyalty left in the business.

Keep this in mind when it comes to what TA's do for you. Everything they do comes out of their pocket. This even when the cruiselines sell billions and we make a measly commission for promoting their product. We don't get paid on shore excursions, port charges, taxes, onboard spending. Only the actual cruise fare. Secondly, their are limited technology options available to agents. Aside from developing a booking engine of our own (too expensive), their are only two options in the industry for a booking engine for us to provide our clients with. Huge sites like Expedia can afford their own development but we cannot. This will eventually leave us behind unless a new solution arises. Lastly, the cruise lines control everything we do from marketing to selling policies is controlled by the cruise lines. We do not own this product, we are basically working for the cruise lines, but they control us. Whether most agents will admit it or not.

I do believe we provide a valuable service, but more importantly, we are the competition of the cruise lines. Without us, there is nothing keeping the price down. Once the travel agents who are providing additional incentives and discount pricing go away, the cruise lines will have total price control. Carnival owns Princess, Cunard, Holland, Costa, Windstar & Seabourn. Royal Caribbean & Celebrity are the same company. This comprises about 90% or more of mainstream cruise lines.

I don't expect people to use lousy agents, but in the long run it would pay to find a good one. Preferrably one that hasn't been around for 50 years and is set in their ways. We call them dragonladys.

Either way, I appreciate all the information here as I can use it to try and continue enhancing what we offer. Check us out, it's not that hard to Google us.

Lastly, ask yourself why an organization like CruiseCritic doesn't allow for a rating system for agents. Who do you think is getting the kickback on all these CruiseCritic Cruises? They are in it for the money too.

That really was one of the few replys in this thread that actually said something of interest. I appreciate your candor on what the TA industry is really like and the challenges of continuing to do what you do. Thanks!

I've always believed that competition is a good thing and your point that the TA's keep the Cruise lines honest is a good one. At least the honest TAs keep them honest.

I still get frustrated by the idea that I may not get the best deal because I was an educated consumer and did my own homework. It feels at times that there are a lot of hidden deals in the cruise industry that only the 'insiders' hear about or that are only available to a select group of people. RCL is actually much worse that way than I thought they would be; they will only give out small tidbits of information (ie., three or four cabins to choose from) instead of a map showing all of the particular rooms on a deck. They seem to have a 'lowest common denominator' approach to information release stating that they don't want to confuse people with too much information. How about embracing technology that senses what part of the system a local user is in and then allows other to join, or even step out, as the capabilities increase.

You are exactly right in your observations and thank you for understanding.

Even in our reservation systems we don't get to see a full deck plan of available cabins. The lines only give us 10 at a time. The technology is behind the times as the cruise lines aren't even to the point where they can do cabin assignments like the airlines do seat assignments. This is largely in part to managing space on "hold" for groups and the idiotic creation of "Guarantee" cabins.

Guarantees are sold with the idea that you could "possibly" be upgraded, and some clients are, but most of them end up in the least desirable locations on the ship. In essence, you get what you pay for.

Cruise lines and travel agencies shoudl be embracing technology, it is embarassing that they haven't. Keep in mind though that airline reservation systems still function for the most part on a DOS based environment. Yes, I said DOS! There has been a push over the last few years to implement more GUI environments, but the core still has its problems. Slowly the cruise industry is catching up.

One of the main reasons we provide discounts to clients is for exactly what we have been saying. Customers are smarter today, there is no need to try and fool them. Agents should embrace and reward clients for doing 1/2 the job for them. The cruise line won't give you an incentive to do the work yourself, but a good agency will. For example, every client of ours automatically gets $100 towards the next trip when they book, this on top of already discounted prices. Now we don't have discounts on everything, but on our key partners they can be substansial. When clients come to me and say "I already booked with the cruise line because I knew what I wanted." I tell them to call the cruiseline and move the booking to us, then I give them a discount for doing the work themselves.

And there are secrets. Pricing is always out there, but clients don't get to hear about limited time promotions or clearance inventory unless an agent tells them about it.

Bottom line is that if the travel agent industry doesn't start to recognize the changing needs of our clients and act accordingly, there won't be an agent industry.

• 4 weeks later...

My theory is...if you find a good travel agent, stick with them. I used two other travel agents before I found a really good one. The first one was so unorganized that I never used her again. When we got to the airport, Royal Carribbean didn't even have us on the list. Another one after that, was charging us more than she should have. I finally had to have someone else in the office straighten it out. (Just because I go on vacation, does not mean I'm weathy) Finally, I found someone who could answer all of my questions and if she didn't know the answers, would call the cruise lines and find out. A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold.

One Cruise I booked thru a Ta. She called my fellow travelers and claimed she found a $200.00 savings.. well it was me who called and told her the prices dropped and she had better get us the credits...She screwed up are air.. andsaid she held are seats but didn't so we ended up Paying alot more...

I usually check a TA and online and then book with the best TA.. But this Time I have some Carnival credits to use so we had to Book thru Carnival..

Lets say that This is the first time that we have gotten a upgrade.. we booked the CHeapest cabin (4a)and are now in a 6a outside..

I have booked are own transfers saving us About $100.00 to spend on ourselves and we avoid the buses and the hands asking for tips, tips, Do they really think they deserve a tip for everything... I don't think they work for free..

anyways can't wait to leave Sept 24 2005

One Cruise I booked thru a Ta. She called my fellow travelers and claimed she found a $200.00 savings.. well it was me who called and told her the prices dropped and she had better get us the credits...She screwed up are air.. andsaid she held are seats but didn't so we ended up Paying alot more...

I usually check a TA and online and then book with the best TA.. But this Time I have some Carnival credits to use so we had to Book thru Carnival..

Lets say that This is the first time that we have gotten a upgrade.. we booked the CHeapest cabin (4a)and are now in a 6a outside..

I have booked are own transfers saving us About $100.00 to spend on ourselves and we avoid the buses and the hands asking for tips, tips, Do they really think they deserve a tip for everything... I don't think they work for free..

anyways can't wait to leave Sept 24 2005

Have a good trip!

A cruise is a fairly simple vacation to plan and book, especially with all the online resources available today. It's different if going to say Europe or Egypt where expertise is sought, needed, appreciated and understandably should be well compensated.

It's also much more difficult to find a small travel agency these days.

My 2 cents. I use a TA for my business trips; airlines, car rentals, hotels, etc. and they are good but do not specialize in cruises. They've even suggested a 'cruise only' TA.

I had a previous relationship with a cruise only TA and use

them exclusively and have never had the first problem. I suppose TA's are a lot like other sales companies, some are good some are bad. We are lucky.

I used a travel agent for my cruise in October because DH's cousin is getting married and this is the agent she used. I thought maybe there was some group activity or something that I would miss out on if I didn't use her. I would have saved $100 had I done it myself online.

I usually book my own vacations. I am going to Greece next year and absolutely plan on using a TA.

Never used a TA.

They were who booked Dad's business trips. Otherwise, they were for rich people who took fancy trips.

Fast forward, I become an adult. TA's are who our Admins call to book our travel.

I eventually become an adult that can afford to travel a bit. Never occurred to me to go to someone's office to do for me what I can do for myself at 2 am.

Worse, I read most of the stuff in this thread (skipped a lot of the jabs cuz that gets real old on this site) and I still don't know how much it would cost me to use one. So why bother??

Why should I go look for someone that might (or might not) get me a better price, or an upgrade or a shipboard credit? No guarantees either way for anything!

Sure, I may be on my own if I run into a problem, but that's no different than in Real Life when I have a flat tire or the basement floods. I just take care of it.

Call me dense, but I'm not getting it. Until I see something more valuable than personal service that I don't really seem to need and don't really want to pay for, I'll keep doing it myself.

:confused:

Like the previous poster, i never understood the importance of TAs and liked being in control. Well, i am planning a group cruise for fall '06 and though that i would just get some TA quotes before i commit to doing the whole thing myself. I found a bunch that did a bait and switch thing, and more that took several days to simply reply to my request for info. Well, in the end i found a GREAT TA who is offering me more help that even imagined any TA would do. He got the same price that i got when i called the cruise line directly but he got me some group extras, a lower and defered deposit, and is printing color flyers that i can use to send to my family with all the details. He saves me tons work for the same amount i would have paid with the cruise line. He is a cruise TA and actually specializes in my cruise line, which helps too.

Long story short: i am reformed and now understand completely what a good TA is worth.

We have only booked cruises twice, both times with the same travel agency, each time with different agents (the first TA was on leave when we wanted to book the second time). This agency has a great reputation and the agents were both very experienced in cruising. I have to say they had very valuable comparison information, and both times we had AMAZING upgrades given to us (several categories higher). They also provide us with gifts before the cruise and are quick to notify us of any changes in flights times (or upgrades!) They are on the ball.

My thoughts are that either they do such volume with the cruise lines that their bookings are prioritized for upgrades, or that perhaps they know when to call the cruise lines and how to "go to bat" for us.

With such great customer service and the luxury that they have provided for our vacations, I would never hesitate to use them again.

They obviously know what they're doing since now they have us so hooked on traveling in luxury that we would probably never consider getting less than a suite. We have several itineraries already planned and we will continue to patronize the TA with our higher standards and many future cruises that we are planning. Had they not spoiled us so much, we may not think cruising was as fun. My parents had a very bad first cruise experience, did not use a TA, and will never cruise again.

Yes, there are good and bad agents. Yes, some people go online and book exactly what they want and have a great time. We checked online as well and did our homework before contacting the TA, but the TA gave us more personalized information and ideas on what would actually be right for us. Had we packed the whole family in an inside cabin on a Carnival ship, we probably would not have had an enjoyable vacation, although the price may have been enticing.

Archived