To balcony or not to balcony?

jesseiam2

We are within a cruise of getting our platinum and are planning on booking while we are on the Breeze next week. We have never had a balcony before, mainly because we haven't seen the need to spend the money there. (only done 1 OV and the rest were interiors) We spend so little time in the room that I can't bring myself to justify the additional expense. It would take from the budget to do other things. So, assuming that budget is not really a big concern on this next cruise, why balcony?

What's the compelling argument for getting a balcony over in ISR or OVSR?

I love seeing, hearing, and smelling the ocean. Love enjoying room service breakfast on the balcony. We've only had a couple of balconies - it's a matter of how much of a premium over the cost of an oceanview (can't do interior as wife is claustrophobic).

I don't care to be on higher decks, so the cove balconies on Dream-class ships seem like an ideal fit for us...that's what we booked for our upcoming cruise.

There really is no argument for or against. We always get them just so we can sit out in the morning and in the evening. That's about all we use it for,so if that's not worth it for you, I'd prolly an interior over OV. But I would do it at least once just so you know. It's kinda like watching sports on TV versus going live, you get a better feel of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our last Cruise booked 3 inside cabins Early Saver then as prices dropped we up graded to OV for next to nothing then the Upgrade Fairy called and said we could move to Balcony for $50 a person so we did ...Problem is once you have had a balcony you want a balcony ..not a deal breaker but really enjoy sitting out when leaving port with a cold beer while Mommy FTO gets ready for diner...its great out there for a night cap before bed and nice to greet the day with a coffee on your balcony in the morning so yes I believe its worth it

Absolutely worth it to us. The coffee at sunrise. The privacy (wink wink).

Just being able to feel the weather before you venture to the public decks.

Much nicer to wait on the balcony, while the other half dresses, instead of looking at 4 walls, ... or the tv.

Having your own 'deck' to view the ports as you arrive.

Quiet place to end your day with a drink.

Priceless!

My girlfriend and I got a balcony for our first cruise last summer and will never get a room without it now. I loved sitting outside at night after a long day of fun on the ship and unwind a little before bed. Waking up to the awful room service coffee and sitting outside and watching the water go by as I waited for my brain to finish booting up and mentally prepare myself for the crowds again. Even in the middle of the day, just to get away from things and have some peace and quiet we found solace in our balcony. That to us is worth any extra money.

Waking up at Grand Turk (our first port) and stepping out on the balcony was a moment I won't forget. We were on the port side so I saw the crystal blue water, the beach beckoning to me (and I grew up in Va beach... I hated beaches and ocean water... then again it was ugly beach and water). I sat there and watched people comb the sand and smooth it, and let my eyes wander over this scenic view as I sipped that foul coffee and listened to the loud repeating message of beer and wifi.

Hearing the water, watching it go by and no land in sight I found incredibly relaxing. There is no way we could handle being in one of the inner cabins with no views of the ocean. This June we are going on a different cruise and the website said there weren't any balconies available so we were prepared to find another cruise but our travel agent found some available.

I'm in the take it or leave it camp. When we can get a balcony at a reasonable price (under $100 per person per day), I'm more likely to book it. But even then I can't justify the expense if the difference in price is more than a couple of hundred dollars.

My favorite things about having a balcony are room service breakfast and a glass of wine before dinner. It's also great to have a balcony to look at the stars during the night. On our cruise last month (on a Holland America ship), we had some of the best stargazing I've ever seen on a cruise--something we would have missed from an inside cabin or ocean view.

On our Fantasy cruise last March, it was easy to decide. The only balcony cabins were junior suites.

We are within a cruise of getting our platinum and are planning on booking while we are on the Breeze next week. We have never had a balcony before, mainly because we haven't seen the need to spend the money there. (only done 1 OV and the rest were interiors) We spend so little time in the room that I can't bring myself to justify the additional expense. It would take from the budget to do other things. So, assuming that budget is not really a big concern on this next cruise, why balcony?

As a psychology major, I am curious as to whether or not people who went from interior or OV to balcony cabins spent more time in the cabin.

Congrats on becoming platinum. I will hit that milestone in April. :D

We would never dream of booking anything other than a balcony We spend so much time out there-hours every day. We love having breakfast while listening to the ocean, we sit and read and munch chocolate chip cookies in the late afternoon while listening to the ocean, we sit out at night and stare at the millions of stars while listening to the ocean, we sleep while listening to the ocean.

Pulling into and out of port is another great reason we have a balcony. I step outside in my nightgown in the morning, rest my chin on my hands on the railing, and watch everything that goes on.

Absolutely worth it to us. The coffee at sunrise. The privacy (wink wink).

Just being able to feel the weather before you venture to the public decks.

Much nicer to wait on the balcony, while the other half dresses, instead of looking at 4 walls, ... or the tv.

Having your own 'deck' to view the ports as you arrive.

Quiet place to end your day with a drink.

Priceless!

Be careful of "wink wink" time on a balcony. There are cameras all along the ship and bridge crew gets quite an eyeful.

As a psychology major, I am curious as to whether or not people who went from interior or OV to balcony cabins spent more time in the cabin.

We would never dream of booking anything other than a balcony We spend so much time out there-hours every day. We love having breakfast while listening to the ocean, we sit and read and munch chocolate chip cookies in the late afternoon while listening to the ocean, we sit out at night and stare at the millions of stars while listening to the ocean, we sleep while listening to the ocean.

Pulling into and out of port is another great reason we have a balcony. I step outside in my nightgown in the morning, rest my chin on my hands on the railing, and watch everything that goes on.

We have only had a few oceanview cabins, now it's only balcony cabins for us. And no we don't spend more time in our cabins now that we have a balcony. Infact less time because we walk thru our cabin to the balcony and that is where we spend our time unless we are in the shower or bed. I never understood that mind thought.

I used to be so against balconies because I thought it was a waste of money, until I got one. Now I'm addicted. It may sound silly but I love the feeling I get when I walk into the cabin and there's sunshine and daylight and the sound of the ocean. :) And I absolutely love having my DH bring platters of bacon and eggs and juice to the cabin so we can all have breakfast together on the balcony in our pajamas. But the best part is the people watching from our balcony while we are in port. I love seeing the stragglers running for the ship at the last minute. And I can do it while sitting and relaxing in my bathrobe. ;) and drinking a glass of wine. And I also enjoy sail away from my private balcony rather than fighting for a spot on the public deck area. None of these things are things you couldn't do on a public deck. But I love being able to do these things while in my bathrobe without getting all dressed up and without the people and crowds. I really like my quiet time on the balcony.

Once you do a balcony you'll never go back. We are in an aft wrap Vista Suite on the Pride this coming Sunday. I have a feeling that I might want one for every future cruise. Ugggggggggggg!

I'm on the fence regarding a balcony. We generally don't spend a lot of time in our room. Finally booked one on our last cruise (RCCL), but found that it was either too windy or sunny when we wanted to sit and read or enjoy a drink. Our next cruise is port intensive, so I booked an inside cabin.

Like you we prefer the balcony rooms, but when the ship has none, other than suites, we get an OV. We spent no less or more time in the room with either room. So no we didn't spend more time in the room because we had a balcony. And even though its not the same, other than the wink wink someone else's mentioned, you can go everything you said without a balcony.

Like you we prefer the balcony rooms, but when the ship has none, other than suites, we get an OV. We spent no less or more time in the room with either room. So no we didn't spend more time in the room because we had a balcony. And even though its not the same, other than the wink wink someone else's mentioned, you can go everything you said without a balcony.

Yes you can do everything ... but that, ;) but you are right, it really isn't the same. You wouldn't be in your own little space. You would also, I hope, have to get dressed in more than your night gown, boxers.

Yes you can do everything ... but that, ;) but you are right, it really isn't the same. You wouldn't be in your own little space. You would also, I hope, have to get dressed in more than your night gown, boxers.

You would think, but we do see people running around in their bathrobe. On my up coming cruise in April, there is a $340 per person difference from balcony to inside, that's a big deal from people. So while you and I prefer the balcony, some people just can't do it. So at least they can still enjoy the outside, just a little more inconvenient.

I dream and practice price a million cruises it seems while I decide and usually have to go with around 6-4 weeks notice...watching all things involved. I would adore a balcony..i would not like getting a smoker next to me so I probably will wait until I am on a no smoking on balcony ship unless it is such a deal it makes no difference in cost and looks to be fairly good guessed location...even at only 50.. or so more for me, that is 100 more..there is the spa trip..the pre-hotel night..I am really aiming for a step up next cruise to an outside and ship with some different ammenities than my Paradise or Spirit cruise..and i want to have a little more budget for other things so I have planned a slightly more wiggle room amount..I'm pretty conscious.. I know myself..even though i can always scope out and find a wonderful quiet spot even with a person a couple lounge chairs over...I love looking out from privacy of my cabin and have had that myslf once and 2 times..(one with balcony with a friend..oddly then it got used the least for all our chats..we were so busy)..window with just myself will be wonderful..and the good balcony the bomb...I just know...one day..but I do not want to give up a couple massages next time for a balcony, I did none last trip and to me they really change everything..that unwinding pamper time comes first.......Sarah

It is amazing sitting out there....in the dark...watching and smelling the ocean go by, with your loved one and a bottle of wine. Very romantic and sensual. (if that matters to you). Nothing like it in the world.;)

DH and I agree 100%--would not sail without a balcony:)

Archived