To balcony or not to balcony?

jesseiam2

I'm like you. I spend so much time out of the room, enjoying the activities and entertainment, that I wouldn't spend much time on the balcony. The cove balconies on Dream class are nice, for getting to be so close to the water, feeling the ocean as the waters rush by right below. For Oasis & Allure on RCI, I hear that the ship is so inward focused, that there are very few spots other than a balcony to see the sea. If you suspect that the cruise may have a dull crowd aboard, or that there won't be very much happening on the ship, then you may want to have a balcony to enjoy. Other than those reasons, I don't really see a need for one on a cruise, even if you are wealthy.

And to clarify, I'm directing that at people like me, who enjoy being out and about the ship, taking part in or watching the activities and entertainment. For us, the above reasons are really the only reasons to get a balcony. I do, however, enjoy having a view of the outside, through a porthole or window. Other people demand a balcony, or they won't cruise. That's fine for them. I'm just not that way. I don't want to drink coffee on a balcony in the morning. I want to go up to the lido deck and swim, lay in the sun, or go on the waterslides.

As a psychology major, I am curious as to whether or not people who went from interior or OV to balcony cabins spent more time in the cabin.

On my 5th cruise, I had my first balcony. 1st 2 cruises were OV, then 2 interiors. The balcony was nice, and I would go out there, but I would say that I didn't really spend extra time in the room/balcony than I did in the OV or interiors. Maybe a little extra, but very very little. Since that cruise, I've had 3 portholes, 1 OV, 1 French door, & 2 interiors. Pretty well kills the notion that once you go with a balcony, you'll never go back. I have, with 7 cruises. Next up is a cove balcony on a ship with fewer activities/entertainment and an 8th day, so I probably will spend more time in the room/balcony for those reasons. But for a standard cruise, I wouldn't spend more time in the room/balcony with or without a balcony. But again, that's just me. Many people see the room as just a place to sleep, shower, & store stuff. Many people would rather be around others than alone in their rooms, even if they're just people watching.

OP, you will read 100's of reasons to book a balcony over anything else but what you won't see is people arguing that a balcony isn't worth it. Just depends on what you can afford. I personally wouldn't cruise without having at least a balcony.

OP, you will read 100's of reasons to book a balcony over anything else but what you won't see is people arguing that a balcony isn't worth it. Just depends on what you can afford. I personally wouldn't cruise without having at least a balcony.

Except that I just did right before your post.:p I definitely made the argument that a balcony really isn't worth it to me and others like me. There are tons of us out there, but very few of us are on cruisecritic. I'm hardly ever in the room. I would rather be out and about.

Now i realize i might be in the minority here; however another arguement for a balcony is the ability to smoke on one, especially now since they took smoking out of the cabins. Just nice to have a "private" place to smoke, without someone doing the "fake" cough cough while walking past a smoking area.

We have done both in the past and enjoyed the balcony more than ocean view. The only down side I see right now is that Carnival does not allow anyone to smoke in their cabins anymore, but if they have a balcony, they can smoke there. So there are a lot of people booking balconies for that reason. My husband and I are sensitive to the smoke smell, so if you have it next to you, below or above you, it can really ruin your balcony experience - just my opinion.

....once you've had balcony you'll never go back! Try it you'll like it!!

the reasons are a plenty!

but I can't remember 1 cruise that doesn't involve some amazing memory while on the balcony!!

here are a few!

1. a place for the spouse to go while the child of opposite gender is changing!

2. extra living space!

3. step outside to feel and see the weather.

4. sunrise

5. sunset

6. privacy *wink*

7. hearing the ocean while sleeping

8. a place to enjoy a coffee/cocktail privately

9. the cost just isn't that much different anymore

10. you only live once.

11. great hiding place

12. try dragging out your mattress and sleeping on the balcony ah!! ocean breezes!!

13. various animal sightings

14. coming into port views in jammies... or not.

15. making acquaintances with your balcony neighbors

16. the light in the cabin is much better.

I could probably go on and on!

but mylast would be

17. why not balcony???

:)

Now i realize i might be in the minority here; however another arguement for a balcony is the ability to smoke on one, especially now since they took smoking out of the cabins. Just nice to have a "private" place to smoke, without someone doing the "fake" cough cough while walking past a smoking area.

Yes smokers are the minority....and a reason that I don't have much interest in a balcony on Carnival...seems lots of them stay out on their balcony to smoke

Many of us have tried a balcony, and went back to insides or OVs. I did. I spent very little time out on the balcony. So since then, I've done 7 straight cruises without a balcony. Pretty much destroys the argument saying, "Once you've had a balcony, you'll never go back." Plenty of people do. For those of you who feel ashamed to admit it on here, just know that you're not the only one. Maybe we're more social than balcony lovers. Maybe we enjoy being around all the action, and aren't really looking for peace & relaxation. It's all about what you're looking for in a cruise. There is nothing wrong with either way. There's nothing wrong with having to have a balcony for whatever reasons. There's nothing wrong with not seeing any use in a balcony for whatever reasons. All the reasons I see others list for getting a balcony don't really seem like anything that matter at all to me & many others. We're all different, and it's okay.

I did not think of the smoking thing, so for smokers, that is another reason to get one. And of course the coves would be really cool. Or if it seems like it'll be a more subdued atmosphere (like our Miracle cruise, or the longer cruises, or some of the 2.0 ships), a balcony might be nice.

Archived