Renting a jeep.

MadCruiser89

There are no car rental companies at the dock. Cayman Auto Rentals is within walking distance. Most other are at the airport and some of those will arrange to pick you up near the doc.

AFAIK all will give you some sort of basic map. The local Avis franchise has particularly good maps.

We rented from Avis. A quick walk down the street and a phone call and they picked us up in minutes to take us to the airport location. This worked well as we didn't have to drive in the center of town where the traffic is worst.

We reserved in advance and took the 'cruiser special' that included all insurance. We usually don't bother with the insurance because it is covered on our Credit card but wouldn't want to miss the ship while we worked it all out.

In the end we chose a car because of driving on the wrong side of the road. If I must drive on the left, I want the steering wheel on the right. That's just me though, and we saw others renting jeeps. In the end though, it worked out for us because it rained almost all the way back from Rum Point.

Maps and instructions from Avis were easy and it all worked well.

Archived