VIP/Who's Who Parties

Lisa, I honestly didn't see where people suggested the parties were "snooty". As for me, I'm simply bored by them. But that's a personal thing. If you enjoy them, then go by all means.

Sadly, when we begin threads we have no say as to where they go. A thread often takes on proportions we did not plan. I've seen so many innocent threads take a bad turn ... like conversations. The original intent has no bearing on what happens and no one is at fault. It's just the way things are.

But I didn't see anything so terrible about what happened here. It's a touchy subject actually. Obviously some people are offended that they're not included at these VIP parties and they react to that ... I think that's understandable.

HAL does read these boards. But I think you can rest assured that my writing that I don't believe in such events is not going to have the slightest impact on whether they have the parties or not. Think about all we've asked for on here ... I've yet to see most of it implemented. So while they may be interested in what we have to say; I don't think it influences them overall.

When the question was brought up as to who should and should not be invited to these parties, we all have the right to voice our opinions about them. Doesn't mean everyone has to agree ... there's no right and wrong about any of it, just an opinion.

We were invited to "cocktails with the captain" -- and that is exactly as the invitation was worded, not VIP, not who's who -- "cocktails with the captain" - on our very first cruise. We were in a Suite, so assumed that was the reason for the invite, but later just figured that they looked at our bar bills and figured we were due for a free drink. :)

We have been consistently invited to "cocktails with the capt" on all HAL cruises we've been on, and we enjoyed the last one on the Ryndam in particular. The crew and staff made a point of joining us at our table to chat for a bit. We met the art auctioneers and the ship doctor and nurse, and other officers; people we would not have otherwise run into and had a chance to speak with. HAL seemed to have their staff do a bit more mingling than on previous cruises, and it was a neat opportunity for us.

But honestly, to call such a party a little barbaric because it "seems" to separate class lines, is a little over the top for me ...

We have been consistently invited to "cocktails with the capt" on all HAL cruises we've been on, and we enjoyed the last one on the Ryndam in particular.

Hope you had a chance to chat with Captain Frans consen on that one!:)

Great guy!

John

But honestly, to call such a party a little barbaric because it "seems" to separate class lines, is a little over the top for me ...

Does it now? Forgive me because I see now I wasn't clear ... it doesn't "seem" to separate class lines. It "does" separate class lines.

As I read your post I was in agreement all the way and totally understood your reasons for enjoying the party, but then you just felt the need to get personal for some reason. I'm not sure why you would see my comment as "over the top." I have no problem with you enjoying such a party. In fact I've said several times that I think that's great if people enjoy it.

But it is what it is ... no question about it. HAL handpicks people who have booked more expensive cabins and places them together at a party so they can mingle with their own and with the officers of the ship. I used the word "class" for lack of a better term, but the fact is that HAL is singling out people who either travel with them on a constant basis or are willing to spend the most money. Your case is a perfect example.

Now understand I have absolutely no problem with HAL doing this, but not to recognize it for what it is absolutely astounds me! There's is nothing over the top about it.

Heather - where every did you get this idea????? HAL handpicks people who have booked more expensive cabins and places them together at a party so they can mingle with their own and with the officers of the ship.

The most expensive cabin we have ever booked is a B cat or SS on Vista and sometimes we have even taken an Inside cabin, when we book late, and yet we usually are invited to the party. Maybe it's because out TA has asked that we be invited or because we have sailed HAL for 24 years, but to say what you did, is absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I have met people at these parties who can't figure out why they were invited because it's their first HAL cruise and others who are not in Suites or Mini-suites.

As I said in a previous post I believe they pick a cross section of passengers and NOT only those in higher priced cabins, like Suites.

I have attended some of these "cocktails with the captain" affairs. I have never seen a class system. We met a couple on board that we eventually became very good friends with and still keep in touch. They were at this "cocktails with the captain", "vip" or whatever one chooses to call it.

They had an inside guarantee cabin.

We have been invited to Cocktails with the Captain on every HAL cruise we've been on. Our cabins have always been inside ( especially when our $ was worth 50 cents US), or the cheapest outside category. Never had the luxury of a suite. The only conclusion for the invitation I've come to is that we are FOREIGN. I don't exactly feel foreign, but there you go. Maybe they think Aussies are such fun at parties. There has always seemed to be a group of non US or Canadians at these gatherings. Our last cruise on the Maasdam, New England itinerary we didn't attend because we'd arranged to dine at the Pinnacle Grill with our friends. I'll always go if there is nothing else on.

Cheers,

Sandra

Does it now? Forgive me because I see now I wasn't clear ... it doesn't "seem" to separate class lines. It "does" separate class lines.

.......But it is what it is ... no question about it. HAL handpicks people who have booked more expensive cabins and places them together at a party so they can mingle with their own and with the officers of the ship. I used the word "class" for lack of a better term, but the fact is that HAL is singling out people who either travel with them on a constant basis or are willing to spend the most money. Your case is a perfect example.[/color][/size][/font]

Heather, I'm sorry, but in my opinion (and I bet others') you owe HAL and the officers who make out the guest list for these parties one big apology for making the statement you did about their party. That is absolutely NOT true. We have mingled at several of these parties and at each and every one we have met pax from all over the ship, oldertimes to HAL and first time cruisers. At the last party we attended we spent most of our time with a young couple in their 20s, inside cabin lowest deck, not honeymooners or celebrating anything special, and first time cruisers. Believe it or not they were just a nice couple who some officer must have met and liked.

I have no idea what has you in such a twit, but what you are saying just is not correct. And don't now start the 'I'm being personally attacked again' routine. No, you are not; your post is being disputed by someone who knows as a fact what you are saying is incorrect. No more no less. You really are libeling HAL and I hope they are reading this nonsense.

Maybe they think Aussies are such fun at parties.

Cheers, Sandra

I've met lots of Aussies in the service and you guys are lots of fun if not party animals so that's a very plausible explanation, mate (or Miss mate, sorry);)

G'day

John

Okay, everyone, this is just plain silly! I "got the idea" from the posts on this thread!!! I certainly had no idea previous to this thread that anyone even called them "VIP" or "Who's Who" parties. When we were invited I had not the slightest notion why, nor did I care. My entire response on this thread is from information gained from this thread. That's where I "got the idea".

Peaches, I most certainly owe no one an apology ... least of all HAL!!! If anyone owes anyone an apology (which I don't feel they do), it's the people dispensing what you're now calling erroneous information. All I did is read a thread and post accordingly. Every single bit of information I posted is from what was stated here! Someone (and I'm not going back to look to see who) wrote that each officer "picks" the people they would like invited. To me that's handpicking.

I could care less if you're personally attacking me. I'm way past that as I explained on another thread. But I'm just a bit sick and tired of Peaches, Esme and Gizmo all arriving at the same time on the same thread and disagreeing with me. I may be a lot of things that annoy you, but stupid is not one of them.

Go back and read the posts and you'll see where I got this information. I've never paid any attention to any of these parties so there's no way I could come up with my conclusion without this thread.

But it is what it is ... no question about it. HAL handpicks people who have booked more expensive cabins and places them together at a party so they can mingle with their own and with the officers of the ship. I used the word "class" for lack of a better term, but the fact is that HAL is singling out people who either travel with them on a constant basis or are willing to spend the most money.

And where did you get these ideas? The majority of posters on this thread who have attended these parties said exactly the opposite.

And where did you get these ideas? The majority of posters on this thread who have attended these parties said exactly the opposite.

Here's a few of the posts:

Posted by KK: This individual said that the captain, hotel manager, etc., all make up their own list. So we have no idea how or who's list we have been on to get invited to the parties

Posted by you:You would if you were hosting a party for paying customers whose business you wanted to keep. If they were complaining about being left out, then an invitation must be important to their egos, so yes, you would see that they were kept happy.

Posted by Ryansmemom: Once we started booking suites we have always been invited to the party. In 2003 we brought our family with us and they were also invited. It was their first HAL cruise and they were in a suite.

Posted by bepsf: Some were invited as guests of the line or personal friends & family of officers of the line. Others were invited as friends/acquaintances & business colleagues of Dick Sasso - and there was a former US Ambassador who was also a featured speaker on board.

From speaking w/ cruise staff on HAL, the same types of considerations are made: Who is of particular interest to the line, who might be of personal interest to the Captain, an officer or staff member - or who might be of importance or some note in their own right.

My conclusions were formulated as I read this thread. I admit that the words "VIP" leaped at me from the very beginning and you are quite right that term was corrected at a later time ... a post I missed until I just reviewed the thread.

Peaches, believe it or not I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight or be difficult. I promise you I never knew until this thread that these parties were called "VIP" or "Who's Who" parties. I never knew that the Officers individually choose who they want to attend. I never knew that suite passengers were generally invited and that they might be offended if first time cruisers were asked to attend. I never knew that if you've cruised with HAL a certain number of times, you were invited to attend. I never knew any of this until this thread.

I honestly don't think it's fair to blame me for basing my conclusions on what is written here. While I am quite positive that HAL includes people who are not VIPs, suite passengers or long time cruisers in order to make it appear to be random, there is no doubt in my mind that in general they are rewarding certain passengers with the parties.

:confused: I just want to know why everyone keeps referring to 'cocktails with the Captain' and fail to mention the most able, most affable, charming Hotel Managers???

The invitations go something like:

You are cordially invited for cocktails (or after dinner drinks) with the Captain and Hotel Manager....

We happen to think very highly of some of the Hotel Managers and enjoy our cocktails with them as well as with the Captains. We are always appreciative when we are included in these parties and enjoy them very much. We've met some wonderful people at these cocktail parties who we may not have met otherwise. Most of the time I have no idea what cabin folks we are talking with occupy. Unless I have seen them in the Neptune Lounge, I don't know (or care) whether they are in a suite or not.

HAL Officers are very gracious hosts/hostesses IMO and we enjoy opportunities to socialize with them either at 'by invitation' parties or wherever/whenever.I have no idea who is invited, why, how they got an invitation. I have never asked and I don't plan to. When we are invited, we are pleased and we happily enjoy going.

Whoa there. Just because I don't agree with you on this issue, doesn't mean it's a personal attack. In fact, I didn't even remember who said it until you felt the need to ride me up one side and down the other ...

Like Peaches, we too have met people from all walks of life at these cocktail parties. I certainly don't go around playing "suite police" at these parties -- did you to get this impression that it's nothing but high rollers at these parties? For you to assume that I'm in a higher class just because we book suites and probably have a larger bar bill than most is, at best, presumptious on your part ("HAL handpicks people who have booked more expensive cabins and places them together at a party so they can mingle with their own and with the officers of the ship."). To be clear, I'd be mingling with my own be it chatting up the bartenders, chatting up the widower who is on his first cruise without his wife (having no idea and not caring what cabin he's in), chatting up suite guests, chatting up Penthouse guests, officers, or anyone else I might pull up a stool next to in a bar just to say hello. Makes no nevermind to me what category cabin or how many cruises people have taken -- at a cocktail party or not.

And, S7S, you are quite right about being the guest of the Hotel Manager as well. Unfortunately, I don't remember Brian's last name (something Irish) on the Ryndam, but we had several occasions to chat with him, and I was remiss to neglect a mention.

Exits thread ...

:confused: I just want to know why everyone keeps referring to 'cocktails with the Captain' and fail to mention the most able, most affable, charming Hotel Managers???

The invitations go something like:

You are cordially invited for cocktails (or after dinner drinks) with the Captain and Hotel Manager....

Correct ! I just looked at an invitation.

Captain XXX and Hotel Manager XXX cordially invite you for Cocktails.

Place and time are listed.

We happen to think very highly of some of the Hotel Managers and enjoy our cocktails with them as well as with the Captains. We are always appreciative when we are included in these parties and enjoy them very much. We've met some wonderful people at these cocktail parties who we may not have met otherwise. Most of the time I have no idea what cabin folks we are talking with occupy. Unless I have seen them in the Neptune Lounge, I don't know (or care) whether they are in a suite or not.

The ones I have attended had a good mix. Like I mentioned earlier, inside cabins included. It was not all suite people. There were far too many in attendence to even think that. It was certainly not a class thing.

HAL Officers are very gracious hosts/hostesses IMO and we enjoy opportunities to socialize with them either at 'by invitation' parties or wherever/whenever.I have no idea who is invited, why, how they got an invitation. I have never asked and I don't plan to. When we are invited, we are pleased and we happily enjoy going.

I never asked either and didn't real care why or how but here is a thought.

How about the VIP Fairy?:D

First off, let me say this - I believe that people booked in Suites are always invited. If someone tells me they have booked an S category and didn't get an invite, I would be very surprised and would assume it was some type of oversight. I have been told by several Hotel Managers - Suites are always invited. The rest of the guest list is discretionary.

Secondly, I think some folks are confusing the Captain's cocktails for Suite guests with this "VIP" party. They are two seperate functions.

Thirdly, I don't think Heather or anyone else need apologize to HAL - this is definitely a function that discriminates - because all pax are NOT invited, how can anyone say otherwise? Peaches, I find it somewhat ironic that you think Heather has "insulted" the Captain, officers and others at HAL when you yourself said (in your recent Volendam review) that you never attend the Mariner party (also hosted by the Captain and Hotel Manager) because it's just a bunch of folks "looking for free drinks"... what can possibly be the difference between the two parties? ... and why attack Heather for her personal opinion?

I've been to several of these functions - I don't get the big deal - many of the people attending don't even bother any attempt to mingle, merely wait for an opportunity to corner the Captain, HM, FBM or other high ranking officer... I go to meet the Captain and other officers, and I try to mingle with the guests - but I don't force myself on anyone, and usually leave after a respectable amount of time has passed. I think I prefer the Mariner's party and find it enjoyable most of the time - folks seem a bit more outgoing.

HAL needs to make the "VIP" function available to all guests, plain and simple. This would assure that all passengers wishing to attend can do so.

It appears there is more than one "private" party with the captain, hotel manager, etc. and guests.

Maybe that is the cause for some of the confusion with the suite vs. non-suite people attending parties.

We were not in a suite. We were invited to a party with the captain, etc.

As I stated before, most of the CC'ers were there, as was an organized group of Red Hat ladies.

I just figured we were invited as recognized groups on board.

Perhaps there were more of these parties throughout the week. There was a group of about 300 people attending a spiritual film festival -- maybe there was a party for them.

I look at it this way: It's HAL's choice [or the captain's and hotel manager's] to plan the parties, choose a guest list, send out invitations, etc.

That's their business ... however they want to run it. They don't owe anyone an explanation.

If I am invited, OK. If not, OK.

I think many, many pax are unaware this even happens. Our party was sandwiched in between the two dinner times. Unless someone came strolling by and saw the sign "Private Party," they'd be none the wiser.

I never knew there were these parties until this last cruise.

I want to say that initially, I thought this was a suite cocktail party. We do not drink very much at all but we do enjoy socializing and rarely miss an opportunity to do so. The mix of people really doen't matter, we just enjoy being with people.

After a few cruises, we discovered that there was a huge diversity of people at these parties. We did not know why people were invited or not but enjoyed meeting them.

We really don't know where people are staying onboard unless they tell us or we meet them in the Neptune Lounge. It really doesn't matter.

I will say that I was raised to accept invitations when ever possible. My parents felt it was rude to refuse an invitation from someone who was gracious enough to extend one. Also, my father really enjoyed socializing and would never pass up an opportunity to do so.

Linda

I will say that I was raised to accept invitations when ever possible. My parents felt it was rude to refuse an invitation from someone who was gracious enough to extend one. Also, my father really enjoyed socializing and would never pass up an opportunity to do so.

Linda

Linda - I agree, we have always attended except one occasion when we had other plans to meet friends who were not invited.

We always try to attend the Mariner's recption as well. I think it is common courtesy recognize those fellow pax with hundreds of days on HAL. At the last reception on the Volendam, Captain Visser shared some remarkable history (unknown to me) of the Volendam and I've since gotten more interested in the history of the line and the ships.

I dislike that the "VIP" party is not made available to all - I think most folks would enjoy meeting the hosts, (Captain, HM) and most would attend if given the chance. I think the major issue is the fact that is is a discriminatory event - whether one is invited and attends is not the key issue - the fact that some folks aren't even given the opportunity just seems unfair, in my opinion. :)

Everyone on the ship has the opportunity to meet the captain, shake his hand and have a drink "on the house" during the Captain's cocktail reception. Should the line (or ship's management) choose to have other, smaller parties is neither her nor there, in my opinion. It seems to me4 that the captain is hosting (along with, or in addition to the hotel mgr) a cocktail reception every night. Some I've been invited to, others I haven't. THere's no particularly obvious reason why or why not. So I don't fret about it one way or the other.

There's enough going on that does cause me wince and grit my teeth, so an invitation (or not) to a party that lasts 20-30 minutes doesn't make a bit of difference.

Perhaps those who didn't get invited (but think they should have) simply weren't dressed properly in the dining room....:rolleyes:

Everyone on the ship has the opportunity to meet the captain, shake his hand and have a drink "on the house" during the Captain's cocktail reception. Should the line (or ship's management) choose to have other, smaller parties is neither her nor there, in my opinion. It seems to me4 that the captain is hosting (along with, or in addition to the hotel mgr) a cocktail reception every night. Some I've been invited to, others I haven't. THere's no particularly obvious reason why or why not. So I don't fret about it one way or the other.

There's enough going on that does cause me wince and grit my teeth, so an invitation (or not) to a party that lasts 20-30 minutes doesn't make a bit of difference.

Perhaps those who didn't get invited (but think they should have) simply weren't dressed properly in the dining room....:rolleyes:

Well, they certainly have the right to do as they please, though I DO think it bothers some people. These may be folks who will be contributing to future HAL earnings, so to me - it makes little sense from a business standpoint.

Also, I just don't like the distinction nor do I like the reference, "VIP" party - but again, I guess that's just me.

Seriously dave, have you ever met anyone you would term "VIP" at one of these gatherings??? I am really curious to know - I cruised once on a ship with a "celebrity" though he's not much of one anymore, lol! ;)

The invitation does NOT referr to it as a VIP party. The people on this board decided to call it that and the beat goes on...........

My invitation says:

Captain Hans van Biljouw

and

Hotel Manage Frits Gehner

cordially invite you for

Cocktails or After Dinner Drinks

Time , and Place are mentioned.

This is NOT the suite reception. The invitation for that clearly states it is a suite reception.

As Dakrewser pointed out there is a reception for everyone on the entire ship.

In addition to that, there is a Mariner's party.

I do not think either discriminates.

The Captain may do as he chooses. If he hosts a reception in his cabin, (which has occurred) should the entire ship be invited?

Should private parties be held for "Groups" ? Heather's Halloween cruise includes a private party.

Everything that the entire ship is not invited to could be viewed as discrimination.

Linda - I

We always try to attend the Mariner's recption as well. I think it is common courtesy recognize those fellow pax with hundreds of days on HAL. At the last reception on the Volendam, Captain Visser shared some remarkable history (unknown to me) of the Volendam and I've since gotten more interested in the history of the line and the ships.

I

[The poster added the above underline for emphasis. It was not present in the original post.]

PLEASE do not take this as critism or argumentative because that is not my intention.

But, your saying that you think it common courtesy, at the Mariners Party, to recognize fellow pax with hundreds of days on HAL, may be ONE of the things that HAL is doing by running these parties. Perhaps part of its purpose is to recognize those passengers. (That is not discriminatory. It has nothing to do with Suites. It has everything to do with how many cruises/how many days someone has sailed with the company IF that is one of the reasons an invitation is extended. )

As I said, I do not know who or why or how someone is invited, but I think it quite reasonable to think in most cases, a passenger with over 300 days may be among those quests at the cocktail party.

IMO, HAL is extending 'common courtesy' to that segment of their customer base that is on the ship on that cruise and invites them to a party. Most of us would agree, that (if that is the case) someone who has sailed 300 with the line might be invited to a party

Also.....many folks who have traveled that many days know a great many ships officers/crew. If one has spent almost a year of their lives on the wonderful ships of HAL, it is reasonable to think that along the way, among the people they have met is someone who added their name to the guest list.

JMHO ......

Archived