VIP/Who's Who Parties

Whoever said that the world/life/things don't operate along have's and have nots or class lines, is simply being disingenuous and naive. It's not a question of it being right or wrong, it just is the way it is in an imperfect world. If HAL or Mercedes wishes to give perks to whomever, I'm not about to mount a picket line to protest. It's their choice, as it is the choice of many to let it go and find other things to do to enjoy their trips. Let's be realistic, just by virtue of the fact that a person can afford to cruise, never mind vacation means that they have some money either saved for months or laying around, to spend and that all of life's necessities have been taken care of so that you can go without worrying about the light bill. There are multitudes out there who cannot afford to either treat themselves that way or even discuss/entertain, etc. such mundane matters as we do on these boards. No one will ever be invited to EVERY party, and whining about whether it's fair or otherwise is a waste of time and energy. How's that for beating that poor horse?;)

That being said, Oceanwench and gizmo, I think perhaps we should invite jan 7487 to our 'un party', n'est pas?

[quote name='caribbean girl'] How's that for beating that poor horse?;)

That being said, Oceanwench and gizmo, I think perhaps we should invite jan 7487 to our 'un party', n'est pas?[/QUOTE]

Le pauvre cheval est encore mort:(

[quote name='Oceanwench']I'd like to reply in French, but I think that we're supposed to post in English!

Long live the poor horse! ;)[/QUOTE]

Vive la diference et le cheval mort!!;) I believe that's what you meant, chere Oceanwench!! I think we just settled another CC pointless argument!! Time for a cocktail!!

As a VUP (Very Unimportant Person) I could care less. I understand how long term cruisers or suite passengers might wish to have a less "open" party. I also can see how HAL might use the parties as a marketing tool. Perhaps maybe better thing to do would be to have a party of "randomly generated passengers" party.

[quote name='caribbean girl']
That being said, Oceanwench and gizmo, I think perhaps we should invite jan 7487 to our 'un party', n'est pas?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Copper you are invited also. :) What are we going to do with that poor horse?

Absolutely. Copper you are invited also. :) What are we going to do with that poor horse?

I'll be there, thanks! :) The horse is a done deal, unfortunately :( but I have a feeling there'll be more horses;)

[quote name='Copper10-8']IMHO;) :

[b][font=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][color=#800000]"[i]beating a dead horse[/i]"[/color][/size][/font][/b][left] [font=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][color=#000080][color=#000080]..................................[/color][/color][/size][/font]
[color=#000080]John[/color]
[/left]
[/QUOTE]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]Well, we all at least agree on one thing! "Beating a dead horse" is basically what we do here. Once you've learned that, your "Newbies" initiation on the CC boards is done:D [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Copper10-8']I'll be there, thanks! :) The horse is a done deal, unfortunately :( but I have a feeling there'll be more horses;)[/QUOTE]

A whole stable full, for sure!!;) Welcome to the 'un' party!! You can even bring your dog!! Non comformists, untie!! Oh, sorry, that's another 'thread', but that one was pulled!!:cool:

Once you've learned that, your "Newbies" initiation on the CC boards is done:D

I'm learning as we go, thanks ;)

A whole stable full, for sure!!;) Welcome to the 'un' party!! You can even bring your dog!! Non comformists, untie!! Oh, sorry, that's another 'thread', but that one was pulled!!:cool:

I might even wear a baseball hat, if that's allowed at 'un' parties;)

AlexandNessa,

I don't know if this was addressed earlier because I couldn't be bothered to wade through the same old arguments once again, but the Hotel Manager aboard the Ryndam is Brian McNeill (MacNeill?). He is a Canadian, of Scottish ancestry, and I agree with you he is a very nice man. We first met him aboard the Prinsendam on a Sydney to Auckland cruise and found him exxtremely personable.:)

As Caribbean Girl said, no one can possibly be invited to everything. There are a multitude of activities onboard a ship. No one can possibly attend each and everyone of them.

Honestly, I do not see this as a class issue. Class is something you are born into. It is a rigid social system meant to classify people based on the accident of their birth, something they have no control over. People are locked into a certain class, by virtue of their parentage for their entire lives. They cannot buy their way out, educate themselves out, marry their way out (they can try, but not really), or do anything at all to get out. If they do manage to fool people within the class system into beieiveing they are of a different class than the one in which they have been born into, they are humiliated and scorned. Just watch a movie like "The Remains of the Day" or a series like "Upstairs Downstairs. That is a class system.

In our country, we are supposed to be given equal opportunity. At least that is the standard. We do not have a class system in the sense that no one is born into a class and stuck there for their entire life. We are, however a capitalistic society and money gets you perks. I truly beleive that everyone [U]should[/U] be treated equally. I was at odds with the administrators on my first job. I insisted on treating my clinic patients as if I was seeing them in my private practice. It was a condition I set when I was hired. They said OK because they wanted to hire me. Of course, they didn't realize that I really meant it and would actually spend the time and energy with the people.

Back to the party. People are invited for whatever reason. I really don't know why. It probably varies ship to ship depending on the Captain and Hotel Manager. There are a lot of functions that are held during the cruise. I see lots of rooms closed with a sign that just says, "private party" or something like that. Would I like to attend that party? I don't know. I don't know what it is all about. I was not invited. The people invited to that party may be the most interesting, important people in the world. For all I know, Queen Elizabeth was dropped of by helicopter just to be at that party. I'll never know because I was not invited. Am I envious of those who were invited. No. I am too busy living my own life to worry about what I might be missing.

For the most part in our society, people who pay more, do get more. What would the point be to paying more, if they didn't? Everyone should be treated with the same respect and care. That has more to do with how we are treated than what we actually get. The point is, this is not a class issue. Captian and Hotel Manager invite whomever they want to invite to various functions onboard based on whatever criteria they have. Some people get things that others do not get for various reasons. They are long time customers, they own stock in the company, they know someone, they pay for these things or someone sprinkled fairy dust on them. Why worry about it.

I just think we would all be a lot happier if we focused our energy on what we have rather than on what we don't have or what we feel we are missing out on.

Linda

How to resuscitate a dead horse.

Step one; make sure the horse is lying flat on his back.

Step two; check for a pulse and breathing.

Step three; blow 3 quick breaths into the snout of the animal.

Step four . .

Off the current topic, I know, but what I would like to know is who gets "invited", "selected", "asked to be" Mr or Mrs Dam Ship. I am so put out that I have never been asked:rolleyes: :rolleyes:. Yes, I am being sarcastic:rolleyes: Whose list are these people on anyway?

We have been invited to "THE" parties and have never figured out why? After reading this thread I still don't know why? We have over 200 days on board HAL, maybe that is a reason, but then again, we were invited before we had that many. Sometimes we go, sometimes we don't. It is not important.

I didn't know there was a stable of horses. I always thought of the horse as a vampire horse. He always returns from the dead.:D

All of the following are welcome at the party:

[list]
[*]baseball caps
[*]robes
[*]blow up palm trees
[*]pink flamingo lights
[*]smuggled booze
[*]blenders
[*]and of course the horse, he needs to recover:rolleyes:
[/list]
Is there anything else someone would like to add?

PS. The blender reminded of the infamous blender thread. For those that never read it here is the link: (warning *** it is long)

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=58003&highlight=blender"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=58003&highlight=blender[/url]

What hasn't been mentioned yet is the Captain's table. [i]Why do some get invited to dine with the Master of the Ship?[/i] We've tried to figure that one out, too. Maybe the maitre d' observes people who appear to be having a good time without being "over the top," thus it's likely they would be interesting dinner companions for the Captain. I doubt it's based on "class" or anything like that. Otherwise, I'd never have had the privilege.

[quote name='jhannah']What hasn't been mentioned yet is the Captain's table. [i]Why do some get invited to dine with the Master of the Ship?[/i] We've tried to figure that one out, too. Maybe the maitre d' observes people who appear to be having a good time without being "over the top," thus it's likely they would be interesting dinner companions for the Captain. I doubt it's based on "class" or anything like that. Otherwise, I'd never have had the privilege.[/QUOTE]

LOL You would have to open up this can of worms and you mentioned the word "Class".:rolleyes:
It was mentioned earlier in this thread but I have to assume it was overlooked.

I have been told that on a World Cruise, everyone gets to have dinner with the Captain.

On 7 and 10 day cruises there are going to be many different reasons. I don't think it is based on this so called "class", but I don't think the VIP party is either.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is the Captain's table. Why do some get invited to dine with the Master of the Ship? We've tried to figure that one out, too. Maybe the maitre d' observes people who appear to be having a good time without being "over the top," thus it's likely they would be interesting dinner companions for the Captain. I doubt it's based on "class" or anything like that. Otherwise, I'd never have had the privilege.

Um ... I mentioned it in Post #44. :)

Linda: I enjoyed your post! Focusing on what we have -- not what we don't have -- is a much better way to live. Others have also said it ... we are fortunate to be able to afford to go on a cruise! Be happy with that! :)

Gizmo: I'll bring along a parrot. Not a dead parrot! ;)

As to all the suite being invited to THAT party, Lisa is correct - they aren't. And I have reported many times over the last couple of years that all suite passengers were not invited. One time we were getting breakfast in the Neptune Lounge when a couple confronted the concierge and wanted to know why they had not been invited to the party. They explained in the past that they had always been invited. The concierge explained to them that she did not make up the list - the captain, hotel manager, and various officers and such make up their own lists of whom they wish to invite. Needless to say the couple was a little miffed. And as I have reported before, I have no idea of whose list we have included on.

Well, first off - I only reported what I was told by 2 different HM's and a very good friend who is an officer in an administrative capacity.

I asked at two different parties and was told that all S guests are invited and because we have ALWAYS received an invite when booked in an S, I did assume what I was told was accurate.

Off the current topic, I know, but what I would like to know is who gets "invited", "selected", "asked to be" Mr or Mrs Dam Ship. I am so put out that I have never been asked:rolleyes: :rolleyes:. Yes, I am being sarcastic:rolleyes: Whose list are these people on anyway?

Regarding being Mr. and Mrs ....Dam, I can tell you that I've been "selected" twice and DW once (no big deal) and that all three times we were asked by cruise staff members (CD & Social Hostess) whom we happened to know from prior cruises. I think that selection is totally random and up to the cruise staff.

Take care and be safe

John

I think the 'discrepancy' here may be that each HM and Captain may have their own different policy. It may not be a company policy but one made upon each ship by those in command. Maybe the HM's with whom you spoke, EKerr, always invite all "PS" and "S" pax while another HM does not. While much of what occurs on the ships is the same from ship to ship, there are variables that may change with who is in charge.

Archived