VIP/Who's Who Parties

Yes, Stephen, that was me. Up until a recent post, I didn't know they did that. And if they list the VIP party as a perk, that negates part of my argument. Thanks for pointing that out:)

However, that would mean that every suite passenger should be invited and it was said here that they are not. Sooooooo...............:confused:

Hi Heather,

There does seem to be some confusion over these parties. In fact there are two different parties being discussed here. We really should not refer to EITHER of them as VIP parties!

One party is for passengers booked in S grade cabins. It is called the Suite Party or Welcome Aboard party or something similar. This party is a 'perk' for Suite passengers only. No other persons attend. Usually held in the Neptune Lounge on the first evening at sea.

The second is nothing more than an invitation from Captain and/or Hotel Manager to have a drink before dinner... or after dinner if you are first sitting.

The invitation goes out to those passengers who have for some reason or other ended up with their names on the list. Mrs Smith that has made ten world cruises, Mr Jones who is a gold medalion holder on his 55th cruise. Miss Wilson who is travelling alone. Lord & Lady Muck who are Carnival Corp shareholders and 70 other passengers who are readers of Cruise Critic and have amused the Hotel manager at a sailaway party in the Crows Nest.

It is posible that some passengers from Suites might get invited to this second party but not necessarily.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stephen:)

Hi Heather,

We really should not refer to EITHER of them as VIP parties!

Stephen:)

Wow - this has been my contention all along - I am also not the minority here... however, I now have found no less than three HAL invites from previous cruises that specify a "VIP" party... go figure. I think it is HAL that needs to change the reference, not us... :)

the dead horse photo...
We got it already, you actually also made it clear the first time - no one says one must participate or continue to read any thread that does not interest them.... :)

Prinsendam (Stephen), you mentioned that the PH passengers also have a private party and are invited to the Pinnacle Grill for a dinner. Is this experience an amenity listed in the brochure?

I understand that your experience was on the Oosterdam about a year ago. The reason I ask is that we were in the PH on the Zuiderdam about one and one-half years ago and we weren't invited to any type of private party involving the PH passengers nor to a complimentary dinner at the Pinnacle Grill (let alone involving any of the ship's officers). We were invited to the Suite cocktail party and what is being called here the VIP cocktail party (although it wasn't called that on the invitation), but that was all. So unless this is something that has been instituted on all of the Vista ships, passengers booking the PH shouldn't expect it. Perhaps it is something that only the Oosterdam has or it was a special invitation extended to your group.

By the way, although we have cruised on HAL six times, three of which were in Suites and one in the PH, we were never invited to the VIP cocktail party until we booked the PH (which was our latest HAL cruise), although we were always invited to the Suite passenger cocktail party. We had always assumed the amenity referenced in the brochure referred to the Suite passenger cocktail party.

Kathy

Kathy,

Now you have got me thinking. Immediately after the OOSTERDAM we were in WESTERDAM's PH suite and we didn't do the special dinner. I simply assumed that because it was her first cruise out of Lauderdale things had not yet been sorted out.

The Pinnacle dinner on OOSTERDAM could have been done for some special reason. We didn't know the pax in the other PH. Of course the reason could have simply been Captain Mercer being a good host! That aside I was given to understand that that the dinner was just for PH passengers. As I said, my brother and his wife were not invited.

Stephen

Wow - this has been my contention all along - I am also not the minority here... however, I now have found no less than three HAL invites from previous cruises that specify a "VIP" party... go figure. I think it is HAL that needs to change the reference, not us... :)

Agreed!

What can we call it? How about the 'Lush' party?;)

The naming of the party on the invitation is probably quite simply up to the Hotel Manager and the person who prints out the invitations!

Stephen

Stephen (Prinsendam), based on your Westerdam experience and my Zuiderdam experience, I would say that PH passengers shouldn't expect the additional party or dinner. I've heard that Captain Mercer is very nice and it may very well be that your experience on the Oosterdam was because of him wanting to offer a special event for the PH passengers (or perhaps it was because the ship's staff was so taken with all of you :))

Actually, I was a little surprised, given the premium paid for the PH compared to the Suites, that there wasn't any type of "extra" offered to the PH passengers such as a complimentary dinner in the Pinnacle Grill or a bridge tour or something. While the PH were very large and quite lovely, the service and amenities were essentially the same as the Suites. So unless we travel with a group and need the additional space, we wouldn't book the PH again. Instead we would book a Suite if we wanted the Suite-level amenities (although we wouldn't expect an invitation to the VIP cocktail party, based on our prior experience :)).

Kathy

Kathy,

Now you have got me thinking. Immediately after the OOSTERDAM we were in WESTERDAM's PH suite and we didn't do the special dinner. I simply assumed that because it was her first cruise out of Lauderdale things had not yet been sorted out.

The Pinnacle dinner on OOSTERDAM could have been done for some special reason. We didn't know the pax in the other PH. Of course the reason could have simply been Captain Mercer being a good host! That aside I was given to understand that that the dinner was just for PH passengers. As I said, my brother and his wife were not invited.

Stephen

Ah, but Stephen, you do have a bit different standing among the officers and staff on HAL than that of the "regular" passengers ... (and no offense is intended by the comment, I have a great amount of respect for the work you do and I appreciate it).

On the Volendam in March, there was a similar party in the Pinnacle one night when we were there - a sort of "Welcome" for Captain Visser - the back portion of the Pinnacle was partitioned for the group.

I have no problem with this sort of thing at all - but I do think it is entirely different than the "VIP" party...

btw - I highlighted certain parts of your text above for emphasis. :)

Actually, I was a little surprised, given the premium paid for the PH compared to the Suites, that there wasn't any type of "extra" offered to the PH passengers such as a complimentary dinner in the Pinnacle Grill or a bridge tour or something. While the PH were very large and quite lovely, the service and amenities were essentially the same as the Suites. So unless we travel with a group and need the additional space, we wouldn't book the PH again. Instead we would book a Suite if we wanted the Suite-level amenities (although we wouldn't expect an invitation to the VIP cocktail party, based on our prior experience :)).

Kathy

I am dismayed to hear this - not only do I agree with you 100%, but based upon the premium you paid for the PH, you should have been invited to dine at the Captain's table, at least once - and probably should have had an invite to attend every HAL sponsored function.

Even in a Suite, I think an invite to the "VIP/Who's Who" should be a given - the Suite pax are paying for the extras and this is one that can easily be included... I just don't get it - it used to be a given.

And ekerr19, at the risk of being presumptious, you are far too kind to let this itty bitty silly discussion stop you from throughly enjoying your next VIP party! My advice, put it right out of your mind and order another cocktail, because, after all, they are on the house!!;)

Caribbean Girl - It won't stop me from enjoying myself, lol! ... but, I will think of this thread - and depending on the HM, I may even mention it to him - as several I know do read this board ... and they take most posts seriously.

I hope we get to meet up some time in the future.. :) Thanks for all your input on this (and other) threads... I do appreciate it.

Ekerr19, I hope you do have an opportunity to mention this thread to HMs during your future cruises. I think it would be most helpful for it to be drawn to their attention.

I agree with you about the extras. They certainly make a difference when we are deciding when to pay a premium for an upgraded level of accommodations (such as Suites and PH) and even where (that is, on which cruise line) to pay this premium. When we were in the PH on the Zuiderdam, one of our party was celebrating a special occasion, and although this was noted in the reservation record and the dining room brought out a cake, there was not any acknowledgment from the rest of the ship's staff, not even a card. And we did know that some of the Suite passengers (and other passengers) received invitations for a bridge tour, dine at the Captain's table, etc.).

Not receiving anything "extra" didn't spoil our cruise--we still had a good time. But it does cause us to reconsider where, that is, what cruise line to use, to celebrate other special occasions when we are intending to pay the premium to purchase upgraded accommodations. It is certainly a primary factor as to why we chose Celebrity (Royal Suite) and Princess (the Grand Suite), for cruises to celebrate our last two special occasions.

I raised the PH issue here because I didn't want others who were considering paying the premium for a PH to do so with the idea of getting the extras Stephen mentioned. Plus I wanted to add that we weren't getting the VIP cocktail party invitations when we cruised in the Suites, so others wouldn't have that understanding or expectation. (Although I agree with you that it doesn't make sense as it could easily be included. And since we don't drink alcohol, it would even be cheap to invite us :)--we go to the cocktail parties because we enjoy meeting other people.)

If you do mention this to other HMs, I want you to know that Mr. James Deering was NOT the HM on the Zuiderdam when we sailed--we sailed before he came aboard. While I don't know him nor what he does or doesn't do for Suite/PH passengers, I didn't want there to be any misunderstanding about this. (I do remember who the HM is and can give you that information if you need it.)

Kathy

somewhat related - yet somewhat off the question(s) posed - is it odd to have received an invitation to the mariner reception when i'd never before cruised hal? unless my prior sailings with carnival were responsible the only other reason we could fathom was because we were active cruisecritic.com posters (because another set of hal-virgins were also invited as well).

just curious... and was taken-aback that the big sailor on our cruise had 500+ days (translating to more than 70 such cruises - amazes me that somebody can spend that much time cruising, let alone with one particular cruise line).

thanks for your thoughts... as i say, it's more of a curiosity than anything...

Hi Heather,

There does seem to be some confusion over these parties. In fact there are two different parties being discussed here. We really should not refer to EITHER of them as VIP parties!

Yes! Exactly!:) That is what I have said all along with a great deal of support from others on this thread! That is what I said was inequitable and even a bit "barbaric"! There is absolutely nothing wrong with inviting selected passengers to a special get-together, but to call it a VIP party is at the very least insentive to all the other passengers. It might leave some asking, "what am I, chopped liver?":o . From the beginning, this has been my main focus. KK mentioned a VIP/Who's Who party and I was reacting to that term.

And I hope HAL is reading this thread and I doubt very much they're ROTFL.

I'm beginning to regret showing Copper how to post a large picture in a thread. Copper, perhaps you could find a new picture for us?;)

somewhat related - yet somewhat off the question(s) posed - is it odd to have received an invitation to the mariner reception when i'd never before cruised hal?

Yes, it is odd. The Mariner Reception is for passengers who have completed at least one prior HAL cruise.

Anyone who has sailed in the Carnival family of cruiselines is entitled to a Mariner's discount when booking, but only former HAL passengers (normally) receive invitations to the Mariners' Reception.

So, it looks like you got an extra free drink. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is odd. The Mariner Reception is for passengers who have completed at least one prior HAL cruise.

Anyone who has sailed in the Carnival family of cruiselines is entitled to a Mariner's discount when booking, but only former HAL passengers (normally) receive invitations to the Mariners' Reception.

So, it looks like you got an extra free drink. :rolleyes:

Is it true that if you have previously cruised with Carnival you can get a Mariner's discount? I had never heard that.... :confused:

jc

Is it true that if you have previously cruised with Carnival you can get a Mariner's discount? I had never heard that.... :confused:

jc

Yes, it is true. Before you get all excited, it isn't very much but every little bit helps.

Not meaning to bring up any 'sore subjects', ;) but, actually, the name of the Program under which all past cruisers of any of the Carnival Family of Ships get a discount is called the VIP Program.....No kidding; it really is.

It stands for Vacation Interchange Privileges.

Archived