'Silversea announces new shorter voyages'

57 varieties

We spent some time yesterday trying to plan our holidays for the coming year. We're quite restricted on when we can get time off work together, and had been considering a 10 day Spirit cruise in the Med, either in June or October.

That's now completely off the table, given this latest development.

So here's our dilemma. We can't find any cruise line that we'd like to try as an alternative. At this point it looks as if we'll be doing a land-based holiday instead, which for me is very disappointing as I love cruising.

We had a nice enough cruise on Seabourn recently, but we didn't find it so good that we'd be likely to choose SB again. Crystal, as I understand it, does not offer open dining. The ships are too large. Even Regent, I believe the ships are 700 pax capacity, we think the ship would be too big. We wouldn't take advantage of the included excursions on a Med cruise because we prefer to make our own arrangements in that region. And we find the Regent product incredibly expensive here in the UK market. Oceania seems like a step down from SS.

We just don't know where to look from this point. And so it seems as if our cruising days are over. I shall miss the sea.

I think we’ll know in about a year or so when the 2015 itineraries come out whether or not this new “tapas” approach to luxury cruising represents the end of Silversea as we know it.
We'll see. Since they've only broken five of the 2013 voyages into eight "Short Sail" versions, I imagine they'll be reading the tea leaves of sales performance, before making a broader decision in 2015. For example...

1. Were the Short Sails base business from Venetian Society members, or incremental new passengers to Silversea?
  2. What % of these Short Sail passengers booked a new cruise whilst onboard the ship via the Cruise Consultant?
  3. How did the Short Sails impact occupancy prior to the announcement?
  4. Etcetera...

We'll see. Since they've only broken five of the 2013 voyages into eight "Short Sail" versions, I imagine they'll be reading the tea leaves of sales performance, before making a broader decision in 2015. For example...

1. Were the Short Sails base business from Venetian Society members, or incremental new passengers to Silversea?
  2. What % of these Short Sail passengers booked a new cruise whilst onboard the ship via the Cruise Consultant?
  3. How did the Short Sails impact occupancy prior to the announcement?
  4. Etcetera...

Stumblefoot, do you have any thoughts on the concerns that I have about this? I'd be interested to hear them. Or from anyone else, for that matter.

I'm curious about them only selecting five cruises to split in this way.

How do we know they won't split other cruises at a later date?

If I had a guarantee that the ones I'm interested in wouldn't eventually be marketed as 4/5/6 day cruises I would be happy to book one of them.

Travelcat2, we also cancelled a recent Silversea cruise (2012) and will probably cancel our 2013 booking. Nothing booked beyond that. I realize the "new" Silversea still works for many people, and we'll see what happens in the years ahead. But for us, now, Silversea isn't what it used to be and I'm not comfortable paying high fares for an unpredictable experience. We're planning to move our $$$$ over to Crystal.

FYI cost: Our upcoming cruise is 30 days & it is the same price of a 14 day cruise thru the Suez we took back in 1999. So I think the price is right for this one.

Ravenscroft, we're in the same boat .......

There is currently no cruise line that meets our requirements.

I'm prepared to pay more for a first class experience. I don't want to cruise on a ferry where people change every 5 or 6 days. I want good quality fresh food sourced at each port of stay with thoughtful good quality wines. I want to be able to book the cruise I want as early as I want without the fear it will be discounted later and I'll be out of pocket ie price protection. This is in the line's best interest and the customers. People don't book because they are scared they'll miss out on a bargain. If marketing departments can't price then fire them.

The price cutting has hit quality. Because the fixed costs are so high - a slightly higher fixed price should secure higher quality and standards, and it's only in that way will the brand be protected to where it once was.

We're spending more money on non-cruise vacations and will do so until a line provides what we want.:mad:

Ravenscroft, we're in the same boat .......

There is currently no cruise line that meets our requirements.

I'm prepared to pay more for a first class experience. I don't want to cruise on a ferry where people change every 5 or 6 days. I want good quality fresh food sourced at each port of stay with thoughtful good quality wines. I want to be able to book the cruise I want as early as I want without the fear it will be discounted later and I'll be out of pocket ie price protection. This is in the line's best interest and the customers. People don't book because they are scared they'll miss out on a bargain. If marketing departments can't price then fire them.

The price cutting has hit quality. Because the fixed costs are so high - a slightly higher fixed price should secure higher quality and standards, and it's only in that way will the brand be protected to where it once was.

We're spending more money on non-cruise vacations and will do so until a line provides what we want.:mad:

You bring up some great points. Just wondering how "inclusive" most passengers would want ...... i.e. should they include airfare, transfers..... what else besides alcohol and tipping (assuming excellent cuisine and service)?

Well I always make my own travel arrangements and SS lose here. I often add on quite a chunk before and after a cruise. They will only do the inflated fixed inflexible package. This has cost them some cruises. I have status with hotel groups that gets me discounted suites and I have enough miles to buy First when I travel. I just want them to provide a luxury all inclusive cruise with no disappointments or surprises.

Well I always make my own travel arrangements and SS lose here. I often add on quite a chunk before and after a cruise. They will only do the inflated fixed inflexible package. This has cost them some cruises. I have status with hotel groups that gets me discounted suites and I have enough miles to buy First when I travel. I just want them to provide a luxury all inclusive cruise with no disappointments or surprises.

Agree entirely.

I sympathize with your feelings about cruising, Ravenscroft, so very much. There's just something about being at sea...

You may already know this, but Crystal's "Dining by Reservation" might fit your needs. Instead of Early/Late seating, you can make nightly reservations in the restaurant (and specialty venues) using their online PCPC form; you can vary the time from night to night. And their alternate dining venues might be able to accomodate last-minute dining if the restaurant cannot. It's not the same as Silversea's wonderful open seating, but it's an effort on Crystal's part to expand choice. And it works for many passengers, particularly those who just prefer to dine at, say, 7:30 every night instead of 6:15 or 8:30.

I, too, was concerned about Crystal's large size but was won over by their more extensive enrichment programs and the fact that it doesn't "feel" like a large ship, thanks to the many different venues for relaxing, reading, dining, snacking, cocktails, entertainment.

Whatever you choose, land or sea, please let us know!

Coming in the Sunday morning New York Times travel section as the lead story, they have this feature and headline: "In Travel, We’re All Boomers Now" with these highlights: "From new hotel Web sites to shorter cruises to smaller tours, the travel industry is redoubling its efforts this year to win the hearts and wallets of people between the ages of 49 and 67. It’s a generation that, given its size (about 26 percent of the population) and its collective wealth (it controls the lion’s share of the country’s disposable income), has been shaping the nation’s travel choices for decades. When the economy tanked in 2008, boomers began snapping their wallets shut and stowing their luggage in their closets instead of airplane bins, helping to send the travel industry into a tailspin. Now, five years later, with the economy showing signs of recovery and the first wave of boomers retiring, many travel companies have declared a New Year’s resolution: seduce the boomer. (Again.) Whether it’s a yen for Wi-Fi in the Serengeti or a disdain for bus tours, boomers’ latest needs, whims and aspirations are determining 2013’s large and small vacation trends. Having studied the predilections of people born between 1946 and 1964 as if they were a tribe recently discovered by anthropologists, travel companies are rolling out services designed to woo and recapture a generation of travelers. Bon voyage lengthy cruises and tours. Boomers are the most likely of all age groups to say that they have lost money on investments and that their household finances have worsened since the recession, according to Pew Research. Among boomers ages 50 to 61, 6 in 10 said they might have to postpone retirement. That has tour companies — which for decades have offered lengthy trips for retirees with time on their hands — making sweeping changes. To cater to boomers postponing retirement, Road Scholar has shortened the length of some tours.'

Here is the highlight as to how cruise lines are also adjusting their schedules: "Crystal Cruises, known for its cruises of 10 days or longer, has increased the number of shorter itineraries it is offering in 2013, making almost half of its cruises 10 days or less. Last year, only three of Crystal’s European cruises were shorter than 10 days. In 2013, 22 of its cruises in Europe are 10 days or less. Its Crystal Getaways, 5- to 11-day itineraries that it set up last year, have been so successful among time-strapped working boomers that this year the company is introducing 26 new segments for Europe."

Personally, as a gently aging baby boomer who has done lots of demographic and marketing study over the years, I can see how these trends are playing out now. Good, interesting story with lots of truth in it. Plus, other travel trends details, explained. Longer cruises, such as we did in 2010 along the Norway Coast and are now preparing for in less than a year for Australia and New Zealand, can be very good. BUT, not all customers can make those 14-day or longer cruises work for their schedules, budgets and/or personal needs.

Silversea is not mentioned in this story, but the connections to what Crystal has done is clearly about the same as what SS is attempting now.

Full story at:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/travel/in-travel-were-all-boomers-now.html?ref=travel

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,257 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Excellent info, TLCOhio. Thanks for posting and providing the link to the complete article. Wonder if you'd also like to give it a new thread of its own, so those who aren't following this "shorter cruises" topic will be sure to see it?

Thanks again.

Coming in the Sunday morning New York Times travel section as the lead story, they have this feature and headline: "In Travel, We’re All Boomers Now" with these highlights: "From new hotel Web sites to shorter cruises to smaller tours, the travel industry is redoubling its efforts this year to win the hearts and wallets of people between the ages of 49 and 67. It’s a generation that, given its size (about 26 percent of the population) and its collective wealth (it controls the lion’s share of the country’s disposable income), has been shaping the nation’s travel choices for decades. When the economy tanked in 2008, boomers began snapping their wallets shut and stowing their luggage in their closets instead of airplane bins, helping to send the travel industry into a tailspin. Now, five years later, with the economy showing signs of recovery and the first wave of boomers retiring, many travel companies have declared a New Year’s resolution: seduce the boomer. (Again.) Whether it’s a yen for Wi-Fi in the Serengeti or a disdain for bus tours, boomers’ latest needs, whims and aspirations are determining 2013’s large and small vacation trends. Having studied the predilections of people born between 1946 and 1964 as if they were a tribe recently discovered by anthropologists, travel companies are rolling out services designed to woo and recapture a generation of travelers. Bon voyage lengthy cruises and tours. Boomers are the most likely of all age groups to say that they have lost money on investments and that their household finances have worsened since the recession, according to Pew Research. Among boomers ages 50 to 61, 6 in 10 said they might have to postpone retirement. That has tour companies — which for decades have offered lengthy trips for retirees with time on their hands — making sweeping changes. To cater to boomers postponing retirement, Road Scholar has shortened the length of some tours.'

Here is the highlight as to how cruise lines are also adjusting their schedules: "Crystal Cruises, known for its cruises of 10 days or longer, has increased the number of shorter itineraries it is offering in 2013, making almost half of its cruises 10 days or less. Last year, only three of Crystal’s European cruises were shorter than 10 days. In 2013, 22 of its cruises in Europe are 10 days or less. Its Crystal Getaways, 5- to 11-day itineraries that it set up last year, have been so successful among time-strapped working boomers that this year the company is introducing 26 new segments for Europe."

Personally, as a gently aging baby boomer who has done lots of demographic and marketing study over the years, I can see how these trends are playing out now. Good, interesting story with lots of truth in it. Plus, other travel trends details, explained. Longer cruises, such as we did in 2010 along the Norway Coast and are now preparing for in less than a year for Australia and New Zealand, can be very good. BUT, not all customers can make those 14-day or longer cruises work for their schedules, budgets and/or personal needs.

Silversea is not mentioned in this story, but the connections to what Crystal has done is clearly about the same as what SS is attempting now.

Full story at:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/travel/in-travel-were-all-boomers-now.html?ref=travel

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,257 views.

This is fascinating, although I think the trend also has to do with the fact boomers WANT to work past 65. It's not just a financial decision. We are a healthier, more physically fit generation of seniors who enjoy working. Getting up in the morning with a purpose is what keeps us young.

My first cruise over a decade ago was on the Cloud, it was a 4 night sailing and had a great time. I've booked and sailed with Silversea yearly ever since. I don't understand what all the concern is about? I've sailed 4 nights on Seabourn, Silversea and Regent. They all used to offer several short cruises and it was a great way to test the line. I can not sail an itinerary longer than 7-9 days due to work, but don't want to have to sail mainstream lines. All the luxury lines can no longer rely on the retired set to fill up their ships, im happy they will offer other alternatives

My first cruise over a decade ago was on the Cloud, it was a 4 night sailing and had a great time. I've booked and sailed with Silversea yearly ever since. I don't understand what all the concern is about? I've sailed 4 nights on Seabourn, Silversea and Regent. They all used to offer several short cruises and it was a great way to test the line. I can not sail an itinerary longer than 7-9 days due to work, but don't want to have to sail mainstream lines. All the luxury lines can no longer rely on the retired set to fill up their ships, im happy they will offer other alternatives

I think that most who have posted as anti-short cruises quite get that there are some who benefit because they get a sampler. Their point (which you do not get) is that it changes the relxed ambience on the cruise for all the reasons stated.

I also do not agree that retired people are any less of a market than they were. Obviously reducing cruise length and making cruises cheaper will open new market segments in addition to older passengers - but the baby boomer retirees coming "on stream" now as customers may well be one of the most affluent market segments of all having both time and cash to buy cruises. Subsequent genererations - some time away - will not be so affluent and may actually have shorter retirement periods having to work for a greater part of their lives than many baby boomers.

I found this about longer voyages - are they doing away with back to back discount? glad i have my voyages booked

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/30/silversea-cruise-line-itineraries-2013_n_2581893.html

High-end cruise line Silversea has announced a series of super-long voyages for autumn 2013, including two 40-day trips, as well as some even longer sails. Serious cruisers can now test their endurance with a 54-day trek from Istanbul to Barbados, with stops at many Mediterranean ports.

The trips obviously don't come cheap. A 40-day sail from Hong Kong to Auckland with stops throughout Southeast Asia starts at $15,940 per person. A 41-day trip from Athens to Fort Lauderdale starts at $14,781 per person. A 40-day journey from Barbados, around Cape Horn and to Santiago starts at $17,526 per person.

Amazingly, these aren't the longest trips that Silversea offers. One of the line's ships will set sail on a 113-day, 54-port world sail on January 6, 2014.

Silversea isn't the only luxury line to offer the extended journeys. Seabourn has an upcoming 32-day sailing from Hong Kong to Dubai that stops at a number of exotic Asian ports. Celebrity offers an 18 day trip across the South Pacific that is only bri

Excellent info, TLCOhio. Thanks for posting and providing the link to the complete article. Wonder if you'd also like to give it a new thread of its own, so those who aren't following this "shorter cruises" topic will be sure to see it? Thanks again.

Older Party: This is fascinating' date=' although I think the trend also has to do with the fact boomers WANT to work past 65. It's not just a financial decision. We are a healthier, more physically fit generation of seniors who enjoy working. Getting up in the morning with a purpose is what keeps us young. [/quote']

Appreciate the great suggestion by our NY friend, Seafairer. Will do and place this story on a new thread for this board. From Older Party, YES!, YES!, you are 100% correct that many, especially if you are doing things you like, are good at and enjoy it, seek to work longer.

I work closely with a couple different folks, one age 85 and the other age 79, who are very active, working in highly responsible positions, incredibly smart and savvy, etc. They, like me, believe that there can be a problem with some who just retire and STOP. Keeping active, challenged, busy, involved, etc., are all vital to keep you young mentally and connected with others. When we did our July 2010 Norway Silver Cloud cruise, I was impressed with a number of folks, older, who were very active in pushing to do more, stay connected, etc. It's a great inspiration for all of us as we age.

Then, there is the fun of grandchildren. We now have two, ages six and twenty-eight months. Both grandsons are in Charlottesville, Va. Wish they were closer, but they are fun and will get even more fascinating as they continue to grow up. My wife and I are thinking about how doing travel and maybe cruising with them and/or the whole family can be great, exciting fun and adventure.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,370 views.

I happen to agree, UKJeff, that there are still plenty of affluent retirees Silversea can tap for longer voyages. And as TLCOhio points out, going "cold turkey" at retirement is difficult for many who are bravely attempting the transition; travel can be one stimulating and energizing option, and a wonderful way to build new experiences with the family.

But as I mentioned earlier, I truly believe that Silversea's problem originated when they began to add and add to the fleet. Now, they just have too many ships, and had to resort to some non-luxury approaches to try to fill all of the cabins. Would they need to offer ultra-short cruises to this extent if they only had 3 or 4 ships??

I believe that current retirees have a good 10-25 years of luxury cruising in their future while Boomers will be easing into the luxury market -- (quite a few are already there).

I'm not sure whether the economy issues in Italy are affecting Silversea but I did hear a rumor from a source in the cruise industry that they are having some difficulty (could simply be what was described above -- too many ships to fill). If Silversea has financial issues, perhaps they should be careful not to alienate their current customer base. I wonder if Silversea owners really listen to their customers!? I recall a long thread asking Silversea to stop the automatic charity contributions. Almost 100% of posters were in agreement...... yet, nothing has changed. IMO this is an example of top management/owners being out of touch with their customers (or perhaps simply not caring about them).

As I have mentioned, we cancelled our 2013 Silversea cruise and will wait to see what develops before booking further cruises. We really enjoy Silversea and hope to sail on the Whisper or Shadow again in the future.

Just disembarked Silver Whisper in Sydney after a wonderful 29 day voyage across the Pacific. Everything superb and excellent value for money. This is the way to travel. Civilised fellow passengers and not a child in sight. Leave those horrid 4, 5 and 7 day cruises in the Caribbean/Med to the 'baby-boomers'. But I really pity the wonderful SS crew who have to put up with them.

Philipb, I believe the crew of Silversea are more than happy to have these 'Horrid' 7 day and less cruisers as you mentioned to pay their wages!

Assuming their pay is unaffected, crews generally prefer longer cruises. It allows them to better get to know their guests plus turnaround days are very challenging. If it's a choice of no job or short cruises then of course crew would take the shorter cruises however if the choice is between longer vs. shorter trips, the crews I've spoken with prefer longer cruises.

That is what you asked all of them was it?:confused:

Sakaara was able to meet ALMOST all of them except for 3 who were in the infimary, the captain and two of the maintenance men who declined to be interviewed. They gave the overall impression that they were glad to be able to see the world, travel in comparitive style and get paid doing it. They were making friends globally and seemed quite pleased with their positions. They made mention that the majority of SS cruisers are not snobs and soupusses and look forward to meeting each new group of passengers.Was that the answer that you were looking for?

Archived