'Silversea announces new shorter voyages'

57 varieties

Ukcruisejeff, maybe I will next month when I also become a 'Horrid' cruiser, the popular new term for 7 day cruisers! This thread certainly doesn't paint a nice picture for newbies looking to try Silversea. So many lovely posters on this website have welcomed new posters and assured them when they were worried that they would not fit in. It seems as if we shouldn't bother posting questions unless we are asking about a trip of 10 days or more.

I'm very much looking forward to my voyage, and wish it was longer but we can't all take long vacations.

Ukcruisejeff, maybe I will next month when I also become a 'Horrid' cruiser, the popular new term for 7 day cruisers! This thread certainly doesn't paint a nice picture for newbies looking to try Silversea. So many lovely posters on this website have welcomed new posters and assured them when they were worried that they would not fit in. It seems as if we shouldn't bother posting questions unless we are asking about a trip of 10 days or more.

I'm very much looking forward to my voyage, and wish it was longer but we can't all take long vacations.

Well I presume you aren't going to start interviewing staff on all ships in order to back up what was rather an ill-informed comment. Silversea will not be able to operate cruises with significantly less on-board staff than they currently have and most of those staff that have been employed for longer periods I believe will prefer the ambience of longer periods before large-scale switch-over days ...... so I suggest you don't presume to speak on behalf of any of the staff.

With respect .. you really are over-reacting and in the process perhaps being unintentionally rude to others. You keep repeating the word "horrid" as being something you think that some have applied to 7 day cruisers. I think you are presuming a level of warfare that simply doesn't exist so I suggest you calm down and stop picking fights with people that do not wish to fight with you.

The issue is simple. Try to be empathetic. Some SS long-term customers have seen and reminisce about a product they experienced that new customers have not and will possibly never experience. It is for many based on the line when they had two then four ships. It was considerably different. This does not imply or mean that new customers will not enjoy a product they enjoy.

Anyway ... I hope that you recognise that there is space for some of us to yearn for a product that is dissapearing and I hope and believe you'll enjoy your SS cruises.

Well I presume you aren't going to start interviewing staff on all ships in order to back up what was rather an ill-informed comment. Silversea will not be able to operate cruises with significantly less on-board staff than they currently have and most of those staff that have been employed for longer periods I believe will prefer the ambience of longer periods before large-scale switch-over days ...... so I suggest you don't presume to speak on behalf of any of the staff.

With respect .. you really are over-reacting and in the process perhaps being unintentionally rude to others. You keep repeating the word "horrid" as being something you think that some have applied to 7 day cruisers. I think you are presuming a level of warfare that simply doesn't exist so I suggest you calm down and stop picking fights with people that do not wish to fight with you.

The issue is simple. Try to be empathetic. Some SS long-term customers have seen and reminisce about a product they experienced that new customers have not and will possibly never experience. It is for many based on the line when they had two then four ships. It was considerably different. This does not imply or mean that new customers will not enjoy a product they enjoy.

Anyway ... I hope that you recognise that there is space for some of us to yearn for a product that is dissapearing and I hope and believe you'll enjoy your SS cruises.

I presume that you will not be interviewing all cruisers on all ships to see how we all feel so that subject would be a wash....for those that didn't get it. I do not find Sakaara's comments rude...intentional or otherwise. What I am seeing on this thread, from some, is a rather elitist and patronizing tone. It is wonderful to have so many cruising choices and at some point, perhaps a private charter would make more sense. To some.

I presume that you will not be interviewing all cruisers on all ships to see how we all feel so that subject would be a wash....for those that didn't get it. I do not find Sakaara's comments rude...intentional or otherwise. What I am seeing on this thread, from some, is a rather elitist and patronizing tone. It is wonderful to have so many cruising choices and at some point, perhaps a private charter would make more sense. To some.

Just another rude post.

Shame really ... but there you are.:)

With all due respect UKCruiseJeff, you are the one that has implied that I'm presuming a level of warfare. This is hardly the case! I am merely pointing out my disagreement and to be quite honest, disbelief at Philipb's comments earlier today which were unnecessary and insulting. I believe All cruise lines including Silversea need to be balanced for All clients so as to not alienate the future guests and very precious Venetian Society members they have. This obviously is incredibly difficult in many ways as we have all seen recently, from longer voyages chopped in half ( very poor), and unfair to those already booked on 10/12 day cruises, and the ridiculous guest survey. If Silversea didn't offer the choice of various cruise durations, future sailers would go elsewhere.

One poster pointed out Crystal did these shorter voyages last year.

Respectfully it's about choice,the choice to book 9,12,14 or longer durations. I am truly greatful that Silversea have given us the option to travel with them, when we very luckily have the opportunity to also travel without our kids. This is the reason we only take short luxury cruises as we can't expect relations to mind them for any longer when you take into account pre/ post cruise and overnight flights.

We would have loved to take the Transatlantic but it just isn't possible.

Having previously sailed on Spirit in June 2011, we couldn't wait to sail on her again. I also understand to rapport that occurs between guests and crew on these longer sailings but this can also occur on shorter voyages too.

I really do empathise with those Silversea veterans like yourself who now have multiple Musters on longer cruises and who are afraid to book these longer cruises in case it is split like Stumblefoot's. Hopefully Silversea read these boards and see how unhappy their Venetians are about this and in future offer the choice of duration at the beginning instead of making changes a year later.

With all due respect UKCruiseJeff, you are the one that has implied that I'm presuming a level of warfare. This is hardly the case! I am merely pointing out my disagreement and to be quite honest, disbelief at Philipb's comments earlier today which were unnecessary and insulting. I believe All cruise lines including Silversea need to be balanced for All clients so as to not alienate the future guests and very precious Venetian Society members they have. This obviously is incredibly difficult in many ways as we have all seen recently, from longer voyages chopped in half ( very poor), and unfair to those already booked on 10/12 day cruises, and the ridiculous guest survey. If Silversea didn't offer the choice of various cruise durations, future sailers would go elsewhere.

One poster pointed out Crystal did these shorter voyages last year.

Respectfully it's about choice,the choice to book 9,12,14 or longer durations. I am truly greatful that Silversea have given us the option to travel with them, when we very luckily have the opportunity to also travel without our kids. This is the reason we only take short luxury cruises as we can't expect relations to mind them for any longer when you take into account pre/ post cruise and overnight flights.

We would have loved to take the Transatlantic but it just isn't possible.

Having previously sailed on Spirit in June 2011, we couldn't wait to sail on her again. I also understand to rapport that occurs between guests and crew on these longer sailings but this can also occur on shorter voyages too.

I really do empathise with those Silversea veterans like yourself who now have multiple Musters on longer cruises and who are afraid to book these longer cruises in case it is split like Stumblefoot's. Hopefully Silversea read these boards and see how unhappy their Venetians are about this and in future offer the choice of duration at the beginning instead of making changes a year later.

The post you objected to was a comment about short cruises not about people that take short cruises.

It appears so far we are alone in our views.

Hopefully the Elitism won't prevail!

You are determined to pursue this ridiculous position of being personally affronted and insulted by people who have simply expressed their preference to be on cruises that have less churn. What on earth is elitist about that preference?

sakaara: Hope you don't mind another view on the subject. I don't believe that most people on this board are elitist..... many are simply using this thread as a way to communicate their feelings about shorter itineraries with Silversea management.

Unfortunately, embarkation/debarkation days are disruptive to the staff and to passengers remaining on board. The crew has to prepare for and welcome new guests while assisting guests who are departing. There is a lot of luggage being moved onto and off of the ship on these "turnaround" days. While this is going on, service for passengers is obviously going to be disrupted. No one really looks forward to that.

IMO, when/if the shorter itineraries are figured out and posted on the Silversea website for 2013/2014, my guess is that passengers who prefer longer voyages will avoid the short ones.

I am personally not in favor of cruises that are less than 7 nights and hope that does not make me elitist;)

TravelCat2, many thanks for your reply. I have followed your responses for the last 2 years and certainly don't believe you have shown any 'Elitism';)

I have enjoyed this site and have rarely participated until today when I was offended by phillipb,and I have already explained why. It seems to have escalated from there!

I have great respect for the regular posters on here who have truly made such a difference to everyone seeking advice on Silversea.

Col. Wes, Doug Burns,CanadianKate, Stumblefoot and Herman The Cat and others, have all invested their time and posted live at their own expense for our enjoyment and benefit.

I completely understand that the majority here choose longer cruises and never during summer holidays for obvious reasons.

I dont agree with the shorter cruises of 4 or 5 days as this could bring a different clientele entirely. Hopefully not!

I dont believe the 7 day cruises impact on those that cruise only longer journeys as they avoid these shorter cruises, like yourself.

I do however think that there is a place for 7 day cruises and they aren't disruptive to fellow passengers other than back to back which is booked as such.

I can't wait for next month!

Thanks again.

TravelCat2, many thanks for your reply. I have followed your responses for the last 2 years and certainly don't believe you have shown any 'Elitism';)

I have enjoyed this site and have rarely participated until today when I was offended by phillipb,and I have already explained why. It seems to have escalated from there!

I have great respect for the regular posters on here who have truly made such a difference to everyone seeking advice on Silversea.

Col. Wes, Doug Burns,CanadianKate, Stumblefoot and Herman The Cat and others, have all invested their time and posted live at their own expense for our enjoyment and benefit.

I completely understand that the majority here choose longer cruises and never during summer holidays for obvious reasons.

I dont agree with the shorter cruises of 4 or 5 days as this could bring a different clientele entirely. Hopefully not!

I dont believe the 7 day cruises impact on those that cruise only longer journeys as they avoid these shorter cruises, like yourself.

I do however think that there is a place for 7 day cruises and they aren't disruptive to fellow passengers other than back to back which is booked as such.

I can't wait for next month!

Thanks again.

I suggest you re-read both the whole thread and the particular post again because I think you have completely got the wrong end of the stick.

The vast majority of posts where shorter cruises are mentioned specifically talk about 10 day and 12 day cruises split into 2, and other posts specifically cite 4 or 5 or 6 day cruises. The specific post that has so upset you mentioned 4 and 5 in addition to the 7 day cruises. I think most people are concerned - like you - about cruises that are cut down to 6 days segments or less. I'm also pretty certain that cruise staff dislike cross over days as much as those passengers staying on.

I really feel that you have way over reacted to comments that have simply not been made ... you seem to be in full agreement with the majority who have posted about 4 5 and 6 days. For the record .... I'm not an elitist either. And I also try to help people as well!

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Sakaara: I have two big concerns over the split cruises. The first is the change in atmosphere on the ship. Over 14 days you get to know people well. Over 5 days, not so much. That connection with my fellow passengers is about 40% of my loyalty to SS.

My second concern is that the degree of control I have over avoiding them is limited.

It was easy for me to avoid 7 day cruises. I simply didn't consider them, even combining two back-to-back. I knew that the atmosphere on the ship would not be what I was looking for.

It was easy for me to book a 12 and 17 day cruise and enjoy myself on a long cruise. It takes more than a few days, especially if you are a SS newbie, to learn to relax and settle into the rhythm of shipboard life. For myself, it took well over 7 days on my first cruise.

But by offering the two styles of cruises, SS could successfully market to me, as well as to those wanting shorter cruises and we would both be satisfied customers.

My fear is that that 12 day cruise will be come two cruises, and my 17 day cruise will become three cruises and suddenly, I'm required to spend the time (my precious holiday time) attending 5 safety drills instead of the now 2 (up from one, the last time I cruised on a back-to-back just weeks after the Concordia.) And all this will happen after I've booked my holiday.

One of the biggest advantages to Silver Sea is 'no lineups.' There are small ones (if you time it wrong, you'll be waiting to go through the Captain's receiving line and occasionally there is a wait for a tender) but in general, this is not a mass market experience and once you are on board, your time is your own.

With the new safety rules and the new split cruises, this is no longer the case. I'll be lining up to march out onto deck in my life jacket and lining up to find a spot in the theatre to hear the safety briefing.

On my long back-to-back cruises, I don't mind SS repeating the same shows, I just choose to not attend the second time, and do something else. But the safety briefing will get really old and I'll be really grumpy by the time I get to that 5th safety briefing.

TravelCat2, you did a good job of articulating that the crew faces additional work on shorter voyages. I'd like to expand on this a little.

On turnover days on large ships, many employees (including stewards, waiters) have to do double duty and go below to help process the luggage, both offloading and incoming. Heavy, dirty work. If this is true on Silversea, the more frequent turnarounds will increase the staff's work and reduce their time off, their limited chance to rest or explore the port.

And, as TravelCat2 mentioned, what is considered "normal" luxury service will be somewhat less that day. Dining choices might be reduced.. butlers could be less available.. I suppose it's even possible that the pool could be closed.

Yes, most Silversea employees are grateful for the opportunity to work and learn on a luxury line. But shorter voyages with a heavier work load could result in employee unhappiness that affects their performance down the line.

Kate has said this well. We are on the TA from Ft. lauderdale to Lisbon. Originally 13 nights. After final payment was due, they announced 2 shorter options,one 9 and one 10 nights. Most likely this won't dramatically change our trip as these segments are pretty long and not all that convenient to get to the embarkation port. So I doubt many will sign up. But the problem is they changed the cruise after final payment--not the same as we signed up and paid for.

I wonder if Silversea is forcing anyone to take these short sailings. So it´s not a question of being against of in favour. It´s just a question of offering options for everyone. Thounsands of cruisers don´t have availibility for long cruises. Either for labour, family or other issues. It´s just a perfect occasion to get on board.

Congratulations to Silversea to be able to cater anyone not just all those passengers who have full availability. Thanks for thinking in all needs.

Feed up of cruise lines with just 10 days sailings almost. By the way, Silversea have been offering particial segments for ages. So it´s a way to make it official.

Well, you are in a way forced to sail on one of these with smaller segments if you have already made final payment on what was advertised as a longer voyage. I have no problem with them offering shorter voyages that I can chose or not chose depending on my schedule and budget. But changing things after final payment is not right.

Well, you are in a way forced to sail on one of these with smaller segments if you have already made final payment on what was advertised as a longer voyage. I have no problem with them offering shorter voyages that I can chose or not chose depending on my schedule and budget. But changing things after final payment is not right.

I agree.

Out of interest, would these changes prevented you from booking if you had originally known? I understand the principle that has been compromised but just wondered what level of difference it makes.

I think on balance, I might have reconsidered.

I agree.

Out of interest, would these changes prevented you from booking if you had originally known? I understand the principle that has been compromised but just wondered what level of difference it makes.

I think on balance, I might have reconsidered.

GOOD QUESTION. I might have reconsidered. If this were one where the shorter segments were 4-5 days and I knew in advance, I definitely would not have booked. Since with this cruise, the segments are longer, it is not as huge as an issue, but still annoying. If they had added 4-5 days segments on this one, I would be having a fit and talking to my travel agent and Silversea about it.

GOOD QUESTION. I might have reconsidered. If this were one where the shorter segments were 4-5 days and I knew in advance, I definitely would not have booked. Since with this cruise, the segments are longer, it is not as huge as an issue, but still annoying. If they had added 4-5 days segments on this one, I would be having a fit and talking to my travel agent and Silversea about it.

Thanks.

Your central point which is a much more important point than simply the preference for shorter v longer cruises is how much of a change to a cruise should the line be able to make to the cruise you have bought without it being a sufficient change to trigger a let out.

It seems to me that the balance between customer and cruise line is currently unbalanced in that the lines wish to impose heavy restrictions on what passengers can do with respect to the cruises they have reserved and booked but retain the rights to make whatever changes they want. I guess it depends on what is considered to be a material change.

I think in the UK some of these changes would be deemed and approaching a situation to give the customer the right to cancel with no penalty - but possibly also a compensation right.

I guess one day someone will find out.

I, too, wouldn't book a cruise that was split into shorter segments. And UKCruiseJeff makes an excellent point: Silversea is tightening policies on cancellations, etc., while at the same time giving many passengers more of a reason to cancel.

RachelG is right - it's one thing to offer short, sampler cruises up front, when itineraries are first announced, so everyone knows what to expect. But it's quite something else for a small luxury line to offer ultra-short segments after the fact. Most full-voyage passengers won't even be aware of these new segments when they board, and many will be unhappy with the resulting experience. Since Silversea now needs these short segments to fill all of their ships, maybe they should accept this as a fact, plan them into 2015 or 2016, and announce them at the outset.

I realize that short segments work for many new cruisers. But Silversea surely doesn't want to alienate those who revel in the special ambience of long voyages - luxurious days at sea, getting to know other travellers and staff, having the time to simply relax. This is what differentiates a cruise from a hotel that just moves from one port to another.

Archived