who's just back from the Golden????

jbeth

We leave on the 30th!!!!! Really counting the days!!!! Anything interesting to report???? How was the weather on the islands???? Beachey????? How was the ship??? We last sailed on her Oct. 2011. Thanks or anything you might want to share!!!! Julie and Frank

We got off the ship on the 2nd so can only report on that. I've heard they had some heavy duty weather on this latest sailing. But I wouldn't worry about it. Just check the weather site a few days before to see how it is in LA (we just went through several days with highs only in the 40s or barely 50 with nights under 32 degrees, but it's nice today in the 70s, just way too much wind).

I'm about half way through posting my report:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1763342

About to put up my Kauai day.

Just returned yesterday from the Golden roundtrip LA/Hawaii. The five days going over provided a quite smooth ride, for the most part. The temperatures were a bit cool, but many were swimming, sunning, and walking. We experienced sunny, warm days on all the islands, as high as 80 on Oahu and Maui. There were periods of brief showers on all the islands, but they were brief and refreshing. Now, the trip back is another story: the first day out of Maui was the worst with gale force winds and seas with swells to 18 feet. The outside pool area was blocked off and the covered pool was drained. Movies Under the Stars were stopped. Some entertainment was affected, i.e. the juggler. The second day was more of the same - up to 18 foot swells again and high winds. Both days required that the ship go at a much slower speed. On the third day, the swells were downgraded to just rough (12.5 feet). The fourth day was almost normal and the last day was very smooth with bright sunshine. However, because of the slower speeds of the ship on the first and second day, we did not arrive in Ensenada until about ten at night, where we paused just long enough to get clearance and then proceeded on to LA without a stop.

The naturalist on board was in his fifth year of doing this cruise and he told me that the seas coming back were the worst he has seen on this cruise in all the five years. I expect that your cruise at the end of the month will not experience anything like we just did. Have a great time!

We leave on the 30th!!!!! Really counting the days!!!! Anything interesting to report???? How was the weather on the islands???? Beachey????? How was the ship??? We last sailed on her Oct. 2011. Thanks or anything you might want to share!!!! Julie and Frank

I don't see you two on the roll call meet and greet list. Join us if you are interested !!:)

We did this same cruise on the Golden in Jan 2012, and it was nice. Good weather all the way except a bit chilly the first and last days. We saw quite a few whales just outside the harbor at Kauai. Also saw some at Ensenada !!

Just returned yesterday from the Golden roundtrip LA/Hawaii. The five days going over provided a quite smooth ride, for the most part. The temperatures were a bit cool, but many were swimming, sunning, and walking. We experienced sunny, warm days on all the islands, as high as 80 on Oahu and Maui. There were periods of brief showers on all the islands, but they were brief and refreshing. Now, the trip back is another story: the first day out of Maui was the worst with gale force winds and seas with swells to 18 feet. The outside pool area was blocked off and the covered pool was drained. Movies Under the Stars were stopped. Some entertainment was affected, i.e. the juggler. The second day was more of the same - up to 18 foot swells again and high winds. Both days required that the ship go at a much slower speed. On the third day, the swells were downgraded to just rough (12.5 feet). The fourth day was almost normal and the last day was very smooth with bright sunshine. However, because of the slower speeds of the ship on the first and second day, we did not arrive in Ensenada until about ten at night, where we paused just long enough to get clearance and then proceeded on to LA without a stop.

The naturalist on board was in his fifth year of doing this cruise and he told me that the seas coming back were the worst he has seen on this cruise in all the five years. I expect that your cruise at the end of the month will not experience anything like we just did. Have a great time!

We were ahead of you on the Sapphire. I thought our seas were bad!!! Yikes!! The worse we had coming back were 7.5-12 ft seas.

Yes, please, please give us a report! For one thing, you'll be visiting with our son, who's on the Golden. Right now he's acting Music Manager, but when you embark, the drummer will be back as music manager. The ship recently got into some really bad weather, hopefully yours will be better. Have fun!

All I can offer is a beg for a speedy trip report when you return lol. I am on the Golden Feb 27 with my Hubby on our first EVER cruise and I can't get enough of hearing about every detail of what to expect not only on a cruise in general but on this ship for this cruise. Have a great cruise and I wish you calm seas, clear skies and warm sunshine!!

Archived