heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

Hi people, Does anyone have any info on the work being done on the

dockyard wharf in Bermuda? We are on the Breakaway on June 9th. and hope it will be done in time to dock. Not looking foreward to tendering on a ship with four thousand passengers. Our final payment is due in march.

Hope NCL gets positive answers soon. I have been following the progress

in the Royal gazette, Bermudas newspaper,but not much has been said

since the original news.

I've seen nothing further beyond what was discussed a while back.

A new government was just elected a few weeks ago...it will probably take some time for them to fully get up to speed.

I am sure that is factual, however, time is not something they have. They need to move quickly on this. The work to the pier should have been started months ago. :eek:

Hi people, Does anyone have any info on the work being done on the

dockyard wharf in Bermuda? We are on the Breakaway on June 9th. and hope it will be done in time to dock. Not looking foreward to tendering on a ship with four thousand passengers. Our final payment is due in march.

Hope NCL gets positive answers soon. I have been following the progress

in the Royal gazette, Bermudas newspaper,but not much has been said

since the original news.

Like you, we're standing by also for updates. We have a Dawn final payment due in Feb. I do not want to tender for the three days there. Part of the Bermuda cruise experience is being able to come and go to and from the ship easily. Here's a CC Bermuda link that you can monitor also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Plus there is no telling what a new government will do as they may have higher priorities. Repairing a cruise ship terminal used by foreigners isn't the first item on their agenda when cruise ships can tender. The taxpayers of Bermuda don't see the condition of the wharf in the same manner as foreign cruisers.

Like you, we're standing by also for updates. We have a Dawn final payment due in Feb. I do not want to tender for the three days there. Part of the Bermuda cruise experience is being able to come and go to and from the ship easily. Here's a CC Bermuda link that you can monitor also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Will the Dawn and the Breakaway be docked at the same dock? Although I was aware they were redoing or building this dock to accomodate the Breakaway, I guess I didn't realize it is the same dock they have for the Dawn? Is this right? I don't want to have to tender either and was just wondering (we are on the Dawn in May)

Same for us - Dawn at the end of August. I can't imagine us going if we have to tender. The three port days and the ability to walk off and on at any time is the reason we keep booking this cruise.

Keeping my fingers crossed.:confused:

Will the Dawn and the Breakaway be docked at the same dock? Although I was aware they were redoing or building this dock to accomodate the Breakaway, I guess I didn't realize it is the same dock they have for the Dawn? Is this right? I don't want to have to tender either and was just wondering (we are on the Dawn in May)

There are only two piers useful at Bermuda for large cruise ships, Heritage Wharf and Kings Wharf. Both are booked with two ships during any summer week. NCL with a ship from Boston and New York City, and Royal Caribbean with a ship from Bayonne and Baltimore. NCL uses Heritage Wharf and RCCL uses Kings Wharf.

Well, that doesn't sound too promising for the Dawn passengers.

Luckily, for us anyway, the Breakaway will be up and running before our final payment is due. If the Dawn is not able to dock by that date, I will have to cancel. Tendering for us, is just not an option.

Luckily, for us anyway, the Breakaway will be up and running before our final payment is due. If the Dawn is not able to dock by that date, I will have to cancel. Tendering for us, is just not an option.

Don't worry so much. NCL expects Bermuda to complete repairs before the season. I believe some cruisers are panicking too quickly over minute details, making mountains out of mole hills. There is still plenty of time for Bermuda to do the repairs, time to do so hasn't run out.

Dawn has no problem . The dock is just fine as is for her.

But if the Dawn is docking at the same port as the Breakaway and they are redoing this port to accommodate the bigger ship, is there not going to be construction, therefore keeping the Dawn from being able to dock? I think that's what we are asking. Even though the Dawn can dock there now, as the port currently is, will it be able to dock if they are working on it?

Same dock different days. The Breakaway is docked Wed., Thu. & Fri. the Dawn is docked Sun., Mon & Tue.

But if the Dawn is docking at the same port as the Breakaway and they are redoing this port to accommodate the bigger ship, is there not going to be construction, therefore keeping the Dawn from being able to dock? I think that's what we are asking. Even though the Dawn can dock there now, as the port currently is, will it be able to dock if they are working on it?

You are asking an IF question. No one knows for certain the repairs will be done in time. A lot of things could go wrong, but as I noted before NCL expects Bermuda to finish repairs before the season. Frankly, I expect both ships will be able to dock as repairs will be done so there is no IF.

Why do you think the repairs won't be done in time for the season? Are you an engineer? Do you have any solid evidence? Or are you a worry wort?

Actually not. In addition to the needed expansion to accommodate the Breakaway, Heritage Wharf has damage that needs to be repaired regardless of which ship is docking. It's possible that even the smaller Dawn might not be able to dock if the quay is being either repaired or expanded.

You are asking an IF question. No one knows for certain the repairs will be done in time. A lot of things could go wrong, but as I noted before NCL expects Bermuda to finish repairs before the season. Frankly, I expect both ships will be able to dock as repairs will be done so there is no IF.

Why do you think the repairs won't be done in time for the season? Are you an engineer? Do you have any solid evidence? Or are you a worry wort?

You're the one who's shooting from the hip without any apparent knowledge of the situation. Heritage Wharf suffered damage in a tropical storm not long after it was built. The damage was exacerbated by pressure from the movement of water created by the ships' bow thrusters. That damage was evident when I last was there in October, 2011...well over a year ago. At that time government engineers knew repairs were needed but didn't do anything. The situation was well-documented by Bermuda's press. The outgoing government had only recently hired a consultant to assess the situation and make recommendations for both the damage repair and the expansion of the pier. To date there has no announcement of an actual contract being let to perform the repairs and expansion.

What would you expect NCL to say at this point other than they "expect" the repairs and expansion to be completed in time? Do you think they're going express doubt about it and have thousands of bookings on their new ship cancelled? NCL is going to ride it out for as long as they can while having contingency plans in their back pocket in case the work isn't completed on time. If they get to the point where it's clear the wharf won't be ready they're going to point a finger at Bermuda's government and say "The government of Bermuda lied...they assured us the work would be done on time, and it wasn't. Sorry NCL passengers, but it's not our fault."

Actually not. In addition to the needed expansion to accommodate the Breakaway, Heritage Wharf has damage that needs to be repaired regardless of which ship is docking. It's possible that even the smaller Dawn might not be able to dock if the quay is being either repaired or expanded.

My thoughts were this would be barge work , sheet piling and such .

You're the one who's shooting from the hip without any apparent knowledge of the situation. Heritage Wharf suffered damage in a tropical storm not long after it was built. The damage was exacerbated by pressure from the movement of water created by the ships' bow thrusters. That damage was evident when I last was there in October, 2011...well over a year ago. At that time government engineers knew repairs were needed but didn't do anything. The situation was well-documented by Bermuda's press. The outgoing government had only recently hired a consultant to assess the situation and make recommendations for both the damage repair and the expansion of the pier. To date there has no announcement of an actual contract being let to perform the repairs and expansion.

What would you expect NCL to say at this point other than they "expect" the repairs and expansion to be completed in time? Do you think they're going express doubt about it and have thousands of bookings on their new ship cancelled? NCL is going to ride it out for as long as they can while having contingency plans in their back pocket in case the work isn't completed on time. If they get to the point where it's clear the wharf won't be ready they're going to point a finger at Bermuda's government and say "The government of Bermuda lied...they assured us the work would be done on time, and it wasn't. Sorry NCL passengers, but it's not our fault."

If worst comes to worst, NCL will tender if the pier isn't fixed in time. I doubt whether NCL will change the itinerary which has been posted for up to two years, doing so will tick off more customers. The pier belongs to Bermuda, not NCL or RCCL to repair.

If tendering isn't an option, book another cruise. While I am not fully informed of the situation, surely Bermuda can do a quick temporary fix driving a few steel piles to strengthen the pier. I tend to think positively, negative waves usually have negative results.

Same dock different days. The Breakaway is docked Wed., Thu. & Fri. the Dawn is docked Sun., Mon & Tue.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad. I was excited when I heard that Breakaway was going to have fireworks...now we are not going to get to see them. (I knew there had to be a "catch" hehe). But I guess it would be a good thing because then there are less people in Bermuda at the same time.

So then does it work the same way with RCCL? They have 1 ship dock at one time and the other comes along later? So there will only be 2 ships at Bermuda at any given time? Don't Carnival or other cruise lines go there?

Um, I don't even know how to respond to this. Are you having a bad day? Simmer down. It was just a question. I have never been to Bermuda before (usually sail the Caribbean only) and I was just asking. :rolleyes:

I tend to think positively, negative waves usually have negative results.

Yea, I can tell what a positive person you are by your previous helpful statement. :cool:

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad. I was excited when I heard that Breakaway was going to have fireworks...now we are not going to get to see them. (I knew there had to be a "catch" hehe). But I guess it would be a good thing because then there are less people in Bermuda at the same time.

I am not you would be able to see it from the start. The fireworks are going to be scheduled for the second to last day at sea, not while docked in Bermuda.

I been following this situation since I booked my cruise, honestly I made a big deal at the beginning. But now I am at a point that if it is not finished what can I do? it is out of my control. Will I cancel my cruise? Most likely not. I wont be too happy to tender, but I will do it. I guess planning can be done a little different, thats all.

So then does it work the same way with RCCL? They have 1 ship dock at one time and the other comes along later? So there will only be 2 ships at Bermuda at any given time? Don't Carnival or other cruise lines go there?

Two Royal Caribbean ships and one Celebrity ship share Kings Wharf. The two NCL ships share Heritage Wharf. Only one ship is docked at each wharf at a time...so there are most two ships at Dockyard at a time. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL account for the overwhelming majority of cruises to Bermuda. In 2013, their ships will total 104 cruises to Bermuda. There will be only 25 other cruises to Bermuda by all other ships combined...mostly by ships that only stop at Bermuda once or twice during the year. The majority of those 25 calls are made by smaller ships that can dock in Hamilton or St. George. A few dock at Kings Wharf or Heritage Wharf at times when they are not occupied by by Royal, Celebrity or NCL.

There was a government chance, a debate over ALL renovation projects in Bermuda, and so on.....

Since the beginning of the "debate" over the wharfs, it always was a 6 months project. That being said, as of yesterday, the contract for the renovation has not been signed. Of course the renos have not yet started.....we are 4 months away from the Breakaway first visit to Bermuda.....

In my opinion, there will be a HUGE operation of tendering in Bermuda because the pier was damage and I think it cannot accommodate any vessels at this time.

There was a government chance, a debate over ALL renovation projects in Bermuda, and so on.....

Since the beginning of the "debate" over the wharfs, it always was a 6 months project. That being said, as of yesterday, the contract for the renovation has not been signed. Of course the renos have not yet started.....we are 4 months away from the Breakaway first visit to Bermuda.....

In my opinion, there will be a HUGE operation of tendering in Bermuda because the pier was damage and I think it cannot accommodate any vessels at this time.

You would think that a government would be interested in fixing one of the main sources of their revenue...

You would think that a government would be interested in fixing one of the main sources of their revenue...

As far as revenue is concerned, Bermuda (as well as many other ports) receives much less of their revenue from cruise ships and their passengers, than from visitors who fly in and stay on the island. Those visitors are paying for hotels and meals in addition to entertainment and shopping. ;)

Read some of the discussions attached to the articles in the Bermuda newspapers, and you'll get a good understanding of how the island and it's residents feel about cruise ships.

Archived