heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

I am also very concerned regarding the docking situation. NCL is selling this Breakaway cruise with the fact that we will have three days of stressfree disembarking and boarding at our leisure using the ship as our Bermuda hotel. It will be quite a different senario tendering 4000 - 5000 passengers if this dockyard is not repaired in time for our cruise. There will be many guests that will have physical problems with tendering and unless they have found out about the problem on Cruise Critic might not even know of the hardships that are ahead of them.

I am also very concerned regarding the docking situation. NCL is selling this Breakaway cruise with the fact that we will have three days of stressfree disembarking and boarding at our leisure using the ship as our Bermuda hotel. It will be quite a different senario tendering 4000 - 5000 passengers if this dockyard is not repaired in time for our cruise. There will be many guests that will have physical problems with tendering and unless they have found out about the problem on Cruise Critic might not even know of the hardships that are ahead of them.

At this point in time, Government says the repairs will be finished, NCL is taking their word for it, residents don't see it happening, so it looks like it's just a wait and see. NCL has to stay positive but who knows, they may be biting their nails also. Right now it wouldn't be the best marketing to say, we might be docking or we might be tendering.

Maybe the Minister of Public Works and the Minister of Tourism and Transportation need to start working on this together and stop argueing about what needs or does nor need to be done, the project could be completed in time.

Our cruise isn't until the end of August, but I very much doubt that we will go if we are required to tender.

Luckily, our final payment isn't due until the middle of June, so we should have a good idea by then what to expect.

Keeping our fingers crossed for everyone going to Bermuda this year!:)

Maybe the Minister of Public Works and the Minister of Tourism and Transportation need to start working on this together and stop argueing about what needs or does nor need to be done, the project could be completed in time.

They are on the same page, it is the former Minister of Public Works, now in the Opposition that is in disagreement, and in the end he does not really matter..

Our cruise isn't until the end of August, but I very much doubt that we will go if we are required to tender.

Luckily, our final payment isn't due until the middle of June, so we should have a good idea by then what to expect.

Keeping our fingers crossed for everyone going to Bermuda this year!:)

We actually hit our final payment due date for our Breakaway sailing right around when this latest article came out, so we'll be there one way or another. And I guess we'll be ok with it, as long as 1) they are running a large number of tenders and do not allow for long lines to form, and 2) that they are running tenders well into the late evening/night, though I'd assume they'd have to since it would be unfair to have people stuck on the island if they decided to get back to the ship a little late from a night at the bars.

I will also say though that in the case of those passengers who are elderly, handicapped, and/or otherwise less-than-mobile, if comes to be that tendering is going to be required I think NCL is going to have to allow them the option of cancelling late w/o penalty. I mean if I were handicapped and booked this cruise, it was obviously with the idea that I could very easily roll right out of the ship and onto the dock, but if tenders are involved in many case that isn't possible. And by the way if I were one of these folks, I would make myself a huge thorn in NCL's arse about it ;););)

I just can't see them running tenders for this size ship with all the passengers she carries. It will cost NCL alot to run them. The lines will be horrible to go back and fourth and it be a total of 3 days 2 full nights of this. I just not know what NCL would do, wish we had some indication.

I just can't see them running tenders for this size ship with all the passengers she carries. It will cost NCL alot to run them. The lines will be horrible to go back and fourth and it be a total of 3 days 2 full nights of this. I just not know what NCL would do, wish we had some indication.

They will if they have no alternative.

While following the thread I thought I would see what I could find in the news papers of Bermuda.

We will be on the May 12th cruise and by the article it looks the Breakaway is set.

I found this article on the BDASun online paper:

Wharf upgrade not expected to affect cruise ships

Simon Jones

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:20 AM

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 30: The major upgrade of Heritage Wharf should not affect cruise ships arriving in Bermuda while construction work is ongoing, according to Government.

The pledge comes as the project to strengthen and lengthen the berth in time for the first visit of the Norwegian Breakaway on May 15 is about to get underway.

Government has previously said that the construction phase of the project is scheduled to be completed before the Breakaway’s inaugural trip.

But it remains unclear what will happen if two cruise ships are in Dockyard at the same time and construction work is still being conducted on the pier.

Explorer of the Seas and Riviera are both due to be in Dockyard on April 10, with Riviera supposedly docking at Heritage Wharf.

Just five days later Explorer of the Seas and Poesia are both in Dockyard at the same time, with Poesia scheduled to come alongside at Heritage Wharf.

The two Dockyard berths are also both booked on April 29, May 5 and May 6.

The Bermuda Sun asked Government what would happen if construction work was still ongoing on Heritage Wharf on these occasions.

But we received a generic response saying Government was confident the necessary infrastructure would be ‘ready and sufficient’ for the beginning of the season. A spokesman said: “The Department of Marine and Ports and the Ministry of Public Works have discussed the logistics of carrying out dock improvements when cruise ships are in port and the work is not expected to impact the docking of the ships.

“A plan has been put in place so that the contractor will work around the availability of each berth utilizing King’s Wharf as the primary ship berth if construction work needs the free space at Heritage Wharf.

“We are confident that the necessary infrastructure will be ready and sufficient for the beginning of the cruise ship season.”

While following the thread I thought I would see what I could find in the news papers of Bermuda.

We will be on the May 12th cruise and by the article it looks the Breakaway is set.

I found this article on the BDASun online paper:

Wharf upgrade not expected to affect cruise ships

Simon Jones

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:20 AM

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 30: The major upgrade of Heritage Wharf should not affect cruise ships arriving in Bermuda while construction work is ongoing, according to Government.

The pledge comes as the project to strengthen and lengthen the berth in time for the first visit of the Norwegian Breakaway on May 15 is about to get underway.

Government has previously said that the construction phase of the project is scheduled to be completed before the Breakaway’s inaugural trip.

But it remains unclear what will happen if two cruise ships are in Dockyard at the same time and construction work is still being conducted on the pier.

Explorer of the Seas and Riviera are both due to be in Dockyard on April 10, with Riviera supposedly docking at Heritage Wharf.

Just five days later Explorer of the Seas and Poesia are both in Dockyard at the same time, with Poesia scheduled to come alongside at Heritage Wharf.

The two Dockyard berths are also both booked on April 29, May 5 and May 6.

The Bermuda Sun asked Government what would happen if construction work was still ongoing on Heritage Wharf on these occasions.

But we received a generic response saying Government was confident the necessary infrastructure would be ‘ready and sufficient’ for the beginning of the season. A spokesman said: “The Department of Marine and Ports and the Ministry of Public Works have discussed the logistics of carrying out dock improvements when cruise ships are in port and the work is not expected to impact the docking of the ships.

“A plan has been put in place so that the contractor will work around the availability of each berth utilizing King’s Wharf as the primary ship berth if construction work needs the free space at Heritage Wharf.

“We are confident that the necessary infrastructure will be ready and sufficient for the beginning of the cruise ship season.”

No..that article is already out of date and is just parroting the official government line anyway. This a more recent article, and not such good news:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130218/NEWS/702189930

Plus the first shipment of construction equipment just arrived from the US a couple of days ago.

The clock is still ticking and while construction plans have been made, the work still has to take place...it's expected to commence in March.

Calling NJhorseman....not sure if you know this, but you had mentioned the Bermudian (700 passenger tender) as a possible means for transport in the event of tendering..do you know if this tender or any of the other tenders offer a bathroom? About how long would the tender be from boat to land?

Thanks as always!

Calling NJhorseman....not sure if you know this, but you had mentioned the Bermudian (700 passenger tender) as a possible means for transport in the event of tendering..do you know if this tender or any of the other tenders offer a bathroom? About how long would the tender be from boat to land?

Thanks as always!

Sorry, but I don't know whether the Bermudian has any bathrooms, but it very well may. Ship's tenders do not.

I don't think you would be on the tender more than 20 minutes or so.

Sorry, but I don't know whether the Bermudian has any bathrooms, but it very well may. Ship's tenders do not.

I don't think you would be on the tender more than 20 minutes or so.

CC member bdaguy posted this in 7/10:

All ferries old or new have toilet facilities as do all our national parks.............................

SBtS

I found this 2 sentence blurb in an article, from 2/27, not directly about Heritage Wharf in the BdaSun.

"Elsewhere this week the BBC Montana has brought in metal pilings from Houston that will be used in the Heritage Wharf project.

The ship arrived at the Commercial Berth in Dockyard on Tuesday and is expected to be with us until March 1."

SBtS

I found this 2 sentence blurb in an article, from 2/27, not directly about Heritage Wharf in the BdaSun.

"Elsewhere this week the BBC Montana has brought in metal pilings from Houston that will be used in the Heritage Wharf project.

The ship arrived at the Commercial Berth in Dockyard on Tuesday and is expected to be with us until March 1."

SBtS

Thanks for the update with that. As it is March 1st today, I am wondering if the construction started as planned. Wonder if there is a Bermudian who can weigh in on that before an article is released.

Thanks for the update with that. As it is March 1st today, I am wondering if the construction started as planned. Wonder if there is a Bermudian who can weigh in on that before an article is released.

I don't think anyone said construction will start March 1. I believe the only statement was that it's expected to start in March, with no date specified.

I don't think anyone said construction will start March 1. I believe the only statement was that it's expected to start in March, with no date specified.

http://bernews.com/2013/01/heritage-wharf-work-to-be-complete-by-may-15/

It was briefly mentioned in this article that it could be started as early as March 1st. I guess 'could' is the key word there. I was just curious if it happened. I was thinking that it may not actually be a bad deal if we end up having to tender in if we get a straight shot from the boat to the Hamilton area. Just basically cuts out a step of taking the local ferry.

http://bernews.com/2013/01/heritage-wharf-work-to-be-complete-by-may-15/

It was briefly mentioned in this article that it could be started as early as March 1st. I guess 'could' is the key word there. I was just curious if it happened. I was thinking that it may not actually be a bad deal if we end up having to tender in if we get a straight shot from the boat to the Hamilton area. Just basically cuts out a step of taking the local ferry.

I watch the 3 online Bermuda newspapers daily, and none of them has posted anything about work starting on Heritage Wharf which I would think as a news worthy event.

SBtS

I watch the 3 online Bermuda newspapers daily, and none of them has posted anything about work starting on Heritage Wharf which I would think as a news worthy event.

SBtS

That's not good :/.

Thanks for reporting :)

Oh I hope no tender I won't get off maybe just once. How many tenders does Bermuda have, I read they have one that carries 700 passengers can you imagine the lines onboard to get on and off and the wait time?

Would it be possible lets say the worst case, that NCL not go to Bermuda because of the dock situation where else would they go?

I so agree here... Tendering is a pain in the tush :D

I did it in Grand Cayman and it was fine (via Princess Cruise) and it was ONLY one day - not 3!

It's gonna be a pain to get on and off each time. Waiting in a line..

My final payment is due this month and I'm a tad concerned.. not a worry wart, but just that it going to be an inconvenience.. Yes, being on the Breakaway I could stay on the ship.. but if I'd like to get off at my leisure, I can't.

Compensation maybe?

If they change the itinerary, I'll freak! :) hehe

Archived