Some reason why X is no longer my cruise line of choice

Germancruiser

They do have great itineraries and I personally would sail them again if there was somewhere that I want to go that the other lines aren't offering. I actually looked into one of the Holland cruises but because I'm taking my 12 year old- I'm hesitant. There really isn't much going on during sea days.

If it was a totally port intensive cruise- then the ship offers roomy cabins, decent food, nice pools and libraries. I loved the Explorer Cafe on Zuiderdam and spent a lot of time there on my Greece and Turkey cruise.

One thing about HAL's smaller ships- I don't remember having to tender anywhere except Santorini and Bar Harbor. I also don't remember having any long lines for food or disembarkation. So that was good.

I would also like to know this. We are on our first Celebrity cruise in February on the Silhouette. We prefer to find a lounger in the shade to relax and read. If the music is blaring everywhere, which it seems to be from reviews I have read, it could affect my decision to book Celebrity again.
Don't worry there are many places to relax and read and the music is not blaring everywhere.

LOL- of that I am sure- their ships are booked up to the last cabin. That smoke problem doesn´t bother me- never has. What really is the main reason for the " change of sceene" is the background music all around the clock and the noise level! Oviously 95% seemed to enjoy themselves- so I expect not changes there! Which Hal ships did you sail airwoman?? You seem a experienced HAL- Cruiser! ? Thx.

Michael

I've only sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam, honestly. However I frequent the HAL board (it was my first "home" here on cruise critic) and I still learn a lot about how the ships are doing from reading.

I will sail them again someday, I'm sure, but unfortunately due to my sensitivity to the smoke, I had to jump ship. I did enjoy their Signature class ship - however, I enjoy the Solstice class more. I just felt like I did more on X than I did on HAL for some reason, even though the itineraries were similar.

I'm mystified about the loud music complaints too. I was on the Solstice for 12 nights in 2011 and the Connie for 15 nights in 2012 and I don't remember hearing loud music anywhere, except in the theater or other venues during performances. Maybe it depends on the cruise director, or depends on the itinerary, whether they play loud music? I didn't hang out in the various bars so if they played loud music there I probably wouldn't have witnessed it.

I'm wondering if it's dependent on WHERE the ship is sailing?

I have done 2 med cruises on HAL and neither time was there an issue with loud music everywhere. Yes, when the band played in the grand foyer you could hear it but - in my cabin I didn't - and i had no issues with the volume even when standing near them on deck 3.

So, wonder if it's med vs carib?

I think the complaints regarding loud music were mostly from passengers on the Eclipse. The central atrium is designed in such a ridiculous way that any music blares up from bottom to top meaning that even sitting in Cafe Baccio or the library can be noisy. The martini bar plays extremely loud music, we don't mind loud music sometimes, but they play techno music which is just awful. The noise from the central atrium means that even to try and converse with guest relations can be almost impossible.

There was music playing around the ship on the decks but to be quite honest I did not find it over loud or intrusive there.

Some people complain about the volume in the theatre too. For us it was fine as we always sat upstairs. The problem is probably worse downstairs.

In conclusion, when we sailed it was a noisy ship. Even the slot machines seemed to ring out louder than any other ship we have sailed on making even walking around the shops a noisy experience.

The problem with the Eclipse is really a very poor design with regard to noise polution.

We thought long and hard about these problems but decided that we liked the itinerary and date of our next Eclipse cruise, and in all fairness the ship is really lovely and the food was very good too.

I don't think you ever get a perfect ship, all cruise lines have their own little problems which you just have to put up with if you enjoy cruising.

I have no real problems with Celebrity -- although, on our recent Millie cruise, I did encounter problems with the MDR food, as well as that obnoxious canned music. I just don't ever see myself trying HAL, as long as their current smoking policy is in place. If I want to deal with smokers all over the ship, I'll go back to RC. :rolleyes:

However, I would be willing to try Princess (if the price and itinerary were right). Their new smoking policy is closer to X's, and the ships, food, and service get decent reviews. :cool:

To the OP -- isn't it great that we all have so many choices, when it comes to cruising? But, if you decide that you don't like HAL after all, don't worry -- we'll take you back! ;)

Most of you are awfully hard on HAL. I will be going on my first X cruise in a few weeks. I hope it lives up to all my cruises on the Vista and Signature class ships on HAL. I love the design of those ships, reminiscent of "traditional" cruising. Walking the wrap -around teak promenade deck in the morning is a special event that has not been available on any other ships that I have sailed. The balcony cabins are spacious, with ample storage, and bathtubs with showers. The cabins are uniformly designed with no indentations that take inches off the cabin. Also if you book a balcony cabin you know what type of view you will have, not to worry about excessive view of lifeboats, struts coming down from the roof, balconies sitting on top of the roofs of specialty restaurants etc. I had no idea how critical cabin selection was on S class ships until I read the thorough analysis of S class Ships by Cruisetrail on X boards( Grand tour of S class ships). On HAL the beds are full size, euro top mattresses-best I have slept on at sea,

no curved corners, uniformly placed by the bathroom, not alternating as on S class ships. We have always found the food good to excellent, the entertainment good to excellent, the almost 100% Indonesian crew gracious, hard-working and anxious to please.

The cruise length, time of year will influence the age of cruisers. On only one of our 8 HAL cruises did we feel "too" young for the cruise. I have to agree that there should be more restrictions on smoking on HAL.

We love to try different cruise lines and can't wait for our X cruise. I know we will love it!

I hate loud music and i truly have not found the music to be obnoxious. If there is loud music in one location, there are plenty of quieter places to go and sit, and once in my cabin i barely heard anything.

And yes, that smoking thing would be a deal breaker for me too.

I believe the poster was saying that Celebrity music is too loud.

What did you say??? I'm sitting on the Solstice/Ecllipse/Reflection and I cant hear you!!

I think the complaints regarding loud music were mostly from passengers on the Eclipse. The central atrium is designed in such a ridiculous way that any music blares up from bottom to top.....The problem with the Eclipse is really a very poor design with regard to noise polution.

......I don't think you ever get a perfect ship, all cruise lines have their own little problems which you just have to put up with if you enjoy cruising.

The problem is an S-Class problem when they use the Foyer area of the atrium for the bands, and as you say, the noise comes up through the entire area. We've found some quiet areas to talk and play cards, but it is a Big problem we first experienced on the Solstice for two cruises in 2009, then the Eclipse and Reflection in 2012.

But as you say, there is no perfect ship and we enjoy all our cruises, just not in the game/card/library/El Bacio in the evening when a band is playing.

The background music we can handle and once asked the bartender at the Molecular to turn it back a bit, and she did.

And yes, I'm hard of hearing, and I'm now offically a Geezer....but I find the band in the atrium to be a very odd place since the music goes throughout the area up to the 14th deck, and dancing there is a bit odd since you have people staring down at you all those decks above.....I tend to wear low-cut shirts and worry about all those horny women lusting after me, and although I love my dancing, I'll never be asked to join 'Dancing With the Stars'!

Den

After we had our to next to last cruise on HAL and decided that in spite of the itinerary we were bored we came home thinking we needed to try another cruiseline. When we saw that X had initiated their new smoking policy ( that was one of the things we disliked about HAL) we jumped to X. Well we did a couple of Celebrity cruises and we were hooked. We gave HAL on more try with a quick cruise out of Tampa since it was close to home. We saw a a lot of changes from our previous HAL cruise - really bad entertainment, string group hours shortened in the Explorer's lounge and a general dullness around the ship. And oh yes, when our toilet didn't work we got a nastigram from the front desk accusing us of flushing some prohibited. I still follow the HAL board and there are way to many complaints about cutbacks in dining service, toilets and air condtioning not working for us to take the chance of getting one of those bad cabins. I see a much better product on X in terms of ship maintenance and their effort to deliver a quality product to make me be willing to take my chances with HAL again.

We are new to Celebrity, sailing Solstice in May for our first cruise.

I'm concerned about the comments I'm receiveing here about loud music throughout the ship. We're used to Oceania where the music is mostly the onboard orchestra, quintet, etc., not loud piped in music. Just how pervasive and how loud is this aboard X? Can you hear other parties at your dinner table or around the grouping in the lounge. Is it even in the gangways and more private areas?

Please don't worry, I sailed on the Equinox for the first time 16 months ago and to be perfectly honest I don't remember loud music. There is no music or announcements piped to your cabin (I suppose an emergency announcement would come through, but I never heard any) there was someone is a cabin next to us who was smoking on the balcony, I didn't say anything because I wasn't aware at that time there was a no smoking policy on balconies.

Celebrity was wonderful, I have only cruised on P&O (Aust) and Diamond Princess, both these ships can't hold a candle to Celebrity. I am on the Solstice in April.

My only gripe with Celebrity is no Self Service laundries, but I can live with that.:p

I talked with Jason (CD) who said that the noisiest venues such as the Martinini bar were the biggest revenue producers. Faulty logic, but that is probably why they keep blasting the music.

Hmmmm....a statistician somewhere has found a correlation between decibels and dollars! There can be correlation without causation, however. He/she should have learned that in Statistics 101

We are Celebrity loyalists and it will continue to be our favorite line-I would rather be assaulted by noise than smoke. ;)

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Agree about the smoke vs. the noise....smoke almost ruined our balcony use on a recent cruise on another line.

If they still allow smoking on balconies, no way do I want to try HAL again. Gave up smoking 5 years ago, and couldn't stand the temptation/annoyance of it again.

Never really been bothered by music onboard, never noticed it loud except maybe around disco

To each their own I guess

Originally Posted by Germancruiser viewpost.gif

Hello all HAL cruises

I just returned from a SC - Cruise on board Eclipse, after 12 years of cruising with them it is time for a change since many things about Celebrity are not longer acceptable for me!

Is there on board HAL Ships constant background music througout the whole ship? No

Is smoking allowed on balconies? Yes

Do they have beverage packages?

Do they proived one with bath robes? Yes, all cabins get robes.

Is the sound level extremly high? Only at times in some places - avoid the HAL Cats if you don't like loud music. We run from them.

What dresscode´s do they have? Elegantly casual all but two formal nights per week. Formal defined by HAL is jacket and tie for gentlemen and ladies usually wear pants and sparkly top or cocktail dress.... very few long gowns these days. If you don't want to dress formal, you can eat in Lido where most of the MDR menu is served.

( Formal , semi Formal, causal...)

I know many questions so thank you in advance!

Greetings

Michael

Just posted these questions at the HAL board, very interesting, all the more reason to try HAL next time.

Some others to cruise HAL:

Wrap around prommenade

Teak Deck

NO loud music , no backgroundmusic

I know one get´s in the soup - and deep that is- if one does not speak well about X. Anyway- they negativ summed up this time!

Service - good, no longer excellent

Food- good, no longer excellent

Bonus Programm- buy something- THEN you get something ( exept. Internet minutes and laundry coupon - elite- anyway no ironing and of course the Elite Happy Hour and the Debarkation Lounge)

Beverage package- second rated service at some bars except Al Baccio!

( I was told at the last breakfast " no organge juice today" - all gone- the bottle was full to the brim- I did not argue...)

Cabin not exactly clean at the day of embarkation

Service in Muranos medicore at best!

On the other hand outstanding in Tuscan Grill

Some desing flaws on Solstice Class- to less elevators, not a single silent corner evenings ( exept ones balcony or outside deck with the wonderful view of nice orange life boats)

All in all- X is more and more driffting in the " Fun Ship direction"!

Michael

In picking Celebrity over HAL I highlighted the only issue that I care about. Good for Celebrity.

(There is also the fact that the only people I know who regularly cruise HAL are old old old).

What did you say??? I'm sitting on the Solstice/Ecllipse/Reflection and I cant hear you!!

The problem is an S-Class problem when they use the Foyer area of the atrium for the bands, and as you say, the noise comes up through the entire area. We've found some quiet areas to talk and play cards, but it is a Big problem we first experienced on the Solstice for two cruises in 2009, then the Eclipse and Reflection in 2012.

But as you say, there is no perfect ship and we enjoy all our cruises, just not in the game/card/library/El Bacio in the evening when a band is playing.

The background music we can handle and once asked the bartender at the Molecular to turn it back a bit, and she did.

And yes, I'm hard of hearing, and I'm now offically a Geezer....but I find the band in the atrium to be a very odd place since the music goes throughout the area up to the 14th deck, and dancing there is a bit odd since you have people staring down at you all those decks above.....I tend to wear low-cut shirts and worry about all those horny women lusting after me, and although I love my dancing, I'll never be asked to join 'Dancing With the Stars'!

Den

lol !! oooh, when are you next cruisin!!

Our HAL experience was excellent - comparable to X and the MDR food quality and presentation vastly superior to Celebrity. Service was also great and the room décor of mostly wood had a very elegant, nostalgic feel to it. But I would add however the it is rare for us to be at the younger side of the passenger demographic but that was also the case with HAL. But smoke filled public rooms are a drag with most lines; kudos to X for their great, smoke free policy.

I think that it's good to try different cruise lines for yourself to see if the ship or line will meet your cruising needs. I tried HAL's Oosterdam and it was not for me. The interior was cheap looking and dark. Not what I expected at all. Service was not as good as RCI and food was only slightly better. Good luck.

Our last cruise was on the Westerdam. We enjoyed the wrap around promenade and the bed was comfortable. We also enjoyed the explorations cafe and the bar, especially during happy hour and it was buy one get one free!

We found embarkation and debarkation better than on Celebrity and RCI. We did find that the guests were much older than us on the whole and the food was not as good as celebrity. We also found the service was better on Celebrity. Smoking policy was definitely a bonus on Celebrity. I am sure that my husband would probably remember a number of other differences I would have pointed out as I do compare our other cruises to our cruise on the Summit. We are going on the Equinox in March and I am hoping that I enjoy it as much as my first Celebrity cruise.

Saying all of this I would not discount sailing on HAL again, especially if it was an itinerary we liked (and the price!). Also, would love the opportunity to visit Half Moon Cay again. My favourite beach to date.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments regarding noise. I agree smoking policy wins out over noise, and I'm assured Celebrity has a strict smoking policy to ensure the enjoyment of all. But I don't want to be assailed by excessive noise on a cruise where I want to relax.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on this thread regarding noise aboard, so guess we'll just make up our own mind when we board. It does sound like we can get away to a quiet place when we need to. From what I've read aboard the Celebrity threads, we happily look forward to meeting "Celebrity" folks and experiencing a new cruise line.

Besides, as a wise CC poster once said, "any day someone else cooks and cleans for me is a good day."

The problem is an S-Class problem, since you have people staring down at you all those decks above.....I tend to wear low-cut shirts and worry about all those horny women lusting after me

Den

...now Celebrity must face the added hassle and expense of increased security for crowd control! :rolleyes: :D :p

It's painfully obvious that our entire society is on the verge of a Carnal Catastrophe of BIBLICAL proportions! ;)

We did our 1st ever cruise on the Eclipse in Dec 2012 and I''ll admit I was expecting to be blasted with sound everywhere based on feedback I'd read on Cruise Critic. We found it loud in the Martini Bar one night, but the staff quickly turned it down after someone mentioned it to them. Other than that, I really never noticed the background music unless I stopped and consciously listened for it. Truth in advertising...I worked around airplanes for 20 years and my hearing is not the greatest, but my DW did not notice it either. The atrium can get loud when the band is playing, but that is to be expected anywhere a band plays. If you don't care to listen to the band, there are other places to go.

Have a great cruise!

Gerry and Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
We are new to Celebrity, sailing Solstice in May for our first cruise.

I'm concerned about the comments I'm receiveing here about loud music throughout the ship. We're used to Oceania where the music is mostly the onboard orchestra, quintet, etc., not loud piped in music. Just how pervasive and how loud is this aboard X? Can you hear other parties at your dinner table or around the grouping in the lounge. Is it even in the gangways and more private areas?

From our experience with Celebrity the music is not "pumping" I would describe it as background music. You will have no problems hearing your dining partners in any of the restaurants and can even hold a conversation with your neighbouring table.

Enjoy your X experience

Then post this on HAL forum. Dont try to influence Celebrity fans.

The defensiveness of this post cracks me up. :rolleyes:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. OP can post whatever they want in whatever forum they want (within CC's terms of service).

X is my line of choice, and can't wait for my cruise on Summit in 2 weeks. That said, people need to take these negative (and positive) reviews for what they are worth--one person's opinion.

Archived