Wonderful Copenhagen

Danish Viking,

Once again I would like to express how grateful I am that you continued this thread.

We are interested in pre-arranging a Van or shuttle for 5 adults and luggage from the Airport Hilton to the cruise port on Aug. 7 and return trip on the 17 of Aug.

Can you please advise us?

Thanks so very much.

Thanks for your help.

The hotel e-mailed me and gave me directions so that I can still get from the train station to them in a 3 to 5 minute walk. So I have kept my reservation.

Any suggestions for transfers between hotel to ship and later to airport? There may be 4 to 6 of us.

Enjoy your vacation, there is no urgency to reply here.

Thx,

Wendy

@ Busyma

On the way to the hotel ypou can do 2 things

Catch Bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord or Unicef Færgehavn Nord from the central station to Kalkbrænderihavnsgade where the cruise terminal is located.

Or take any northbound train (track 1-4 and 9-10) to Østerport and take bus 26 from there.

Terminal map Copenhagen Central Station

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Hovedbanen.pdf

And here is Østerport Station

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/%C3%98sterport.pdf

Timetable for route 26

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-211012.pdf

On the way to the airport you can take bus 26 to Østerport and take the airport train from there or change at Kongens Nytorv and use the metro instead.

The price is 36 DKK for a 3 zone ticket to the airport.

Timetable from the bus stop at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000006591

Danish viking; I just discovered this thread and you are a wonderful resource for all of us visiting Copenhagen. Thank you!

A couple of questions for you. Three of us arriving on Sunday, 4 August at the airport. We arrive at 1330. What is cheapest way to get to our hotel - Absalon. I suspect we will be doing some jet lag reduction when we check in. Can you recommend a local restaurant near the hotel?

We leave on the cruise the next day, 5 August. What is the best way to get to the ship's pier? We plan to do some very localized touring on 5 August via walking. Any walking tour recommendations??

We return on 14 August. Our flight is at 1650. What would you recommend we do for 4-5 hours in Copenhagen? I read we could check our luggage in at the central rail station. Should we purchase the Copenhagen card? Restaurant for lunch? Airport transportation??

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

The airport train will get you directly from the airport to København H (central station) that is located close to the hotel.

A single ticket costs 36 DKK but as stated earlier in this thread you can buy either the city pass that costs 75 DKK and is valid for 24 hours or the Copenhagen Card (279 DKK) that also covers transportation in 24 hour and free entrance and or discounts to alot of attractions.

Near the hotel you will find alot of fast food places (mostly asian or middle eastern/Italian)

But on Gråbrødre Torv, Axeltorv or Nyhavn you can find alot of good restaurants.

Richard Karpens H.C. Andersen walking tours are very famous

Or else look at guides.dk to see what they offer.

To the pier you can either take any northbound S-train to either Nordhavn St. and walk 15 minutes from there or get off one stop earlier at Østerport St. and catch bus 26 towards færgehavn Nord/Unicef (and not Langelinie).

Here you will get off the bus at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

Here is a timetable from Østerport it´s the times marked with C, D. E and F that goes out to the freeport terminal.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000030585

You can also catch bus 26 from the central station but then you will have a longer travel time but will see the central parts of Copenhagen.

This trip costs 24 DKK but are yet again covered with the city pass or Copenhagen Card.

Here is the timetable for the reverse travel from Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000006591

City Pass or Copenhagen Card should be purchased before you start your cruise because you can only buy single tickets in the bus.

You can store your luggage at the central station, not check it in.

But there are check in machines at the station so you can check yourself in and then check your luggage in at the special lines at the airport.

The airport trains (DSB Øresund) will yet again bring you directly from the central station to the airport.

Thankyou Danish Viking for one on one consultations. I wish I had seen the deleted thread with your vast knowledge of Copenhagen. We are planning a one day visit on May 12,2013 and then a 3 day visit May23-26th. Our planned hotel is the Clarion Mayfair. Is there a construction site closeby? I tried to access the port info you gave to see what pier the Emerald Princess is at on those 2 dates but I could not access it beyond March. I will need to get from the pier to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport on May 26th. When I bring up the maps of the city and transit depots the information is in Danish. Is there a way to translate this to English. When I travelled in Italy I was able to do this. Thanks again.

The Emerald is docked at the Freeport terminal (Orientkaj and Sundkaj on a map)

I'm writing on my smartphone now so can't access my calender but the Mayfair is located next to the central station so if its not a weekend your ship is debarking and embarking you can use the same info as above my last post.

The metro construction site at the central station is located 2 blocks away on a sidestreet called Stampesgade so its not around your hotel.

If its a weekend or public holiday you can't take the 26 bus out to the Freeport terminal but have to walk from Nordhavn but its only takes 15 minutes.

But give me a link to the website you found and I will try to translate it.

Here is a Copenhagen question, I am organising a group of 12 of us who will be there for one day on a cruise. We are all UK canal enthusiasts and I am planning to hire one of the Flyvefiske water taxis for a harbour and waterways tour. Has anyone done this and does anyone have any advice/knowledge about this kind of tour?

I have never heard about them but they are owned by Netto Bådene (the cheaper canal tour company) so it should be good but I must say that I have honestly never heard about them before.

But I can't see what you get extra for your money compared to a regular canal tour.

You will of course get a small private boat for your companions and added flexibility to the lenght of the tour and route (at an extra cost) but else they offer the same experience as the larger boats does.

First time poster, this is an awesome thread. We are taking the Norwegian Star out of Copenhagen Monday, June 3--thinking about arriving Thursday, May 30. We are 6 very healthy/active 50-60 yr olds who like to cover as much territory as possible when we travel. Please let me know what you think about this:

Plan A: Fly into Amsterdam Thursday-Sat, fly to Copenhagen Sat evening-board ship Monday.

Plan B: Fly into Copenhagen Thursday-board ship Monday.

Thanks for all the great information I've already read here!

Danish Viking,

Thanks for the Emerald Princess pier information. Will Freeport be for both May 12th and May 23rd? I will be travelling from the pier to the Mayfair on a weekday and from the Mayfair to the airport on a Sunday morning. the names Orientkaj and Sundkaj-are they names of bus or metro stops or are they names of something else? Is Copenhagen pedestrian friendly? The web sites that were in Danish are the ones that you have posted on this web. I will purchase a Copenhagen guide book-can anyone recommend a good one? With 4 days in Copenhagen can you recommend a day trip out of the city-for beautiful scenery or hiking. :)

If we choose to buy the Copenhagen Card at the airport upon arrival, does the information desk in terminal 3 accept credit cards for payment, or do we have to have DKK? (If the latter, I assume we would have to go to terminal 2 to change money and then return to terminal 3 to purchase the card, correct?)

I have never heard about them but they are owned by Netto Bådene (the cheaper canal tour company) so it should be good but I must say that I have honestly never heard about them before.

But I can't see what you get extra for your money compared to a regular canal tour.

You will of course get a small private boat for your companions and added flexibility to the lenght of the tour and route (at an extra cost) but else they offer the same experience as the larger boats does.

Thanks for the reply, I think those are the advantages, we shall see what we decide to do, it is tricky finding out what 12 people want to do. Sue

@ fsufan2013

Plan A sounds awesome, but if you have the time then maybe come to Amsterdam Wednesday and then take a late evening flight on Friday.

@ FOS

Yes its the Freeport terminal on both days.

Orientkaj and Sundkaj are the name of the pier that the cruiseships use, you can find them on google maps so you can see the location on a map.

If you enjoy hiking then the forests north of Copenhagen should be a good option for hiking.

A trip to the castles north of Copenhagen, Frederiksborg, Fredensborg and Kronborg (hamlets castle) could be done in one thay if you start early from Copenhagen.

The viking ship museum in Roskilde could also be a nice trip, they offer sailings on replicas of viking ships.

People seems to talk good about Rick Steves guide books but I only know the Danish ones. :D

@ joyride21

I would expect them to accept a credit card at the service counter but else you are correct.

Trying to get an idea of how to plan our time. We need to check out of our hotel at 11:00. Not sure if we can leave our luggage there and venture out. If not, would probably head for the ship (Freeport terminal) and drop off our luggage and go back out. What is up there? Looks like the Little Mermaid is kind of far from everything else so might be a good idea to leave that to do after dropping off our luggage. Is that walking distance from the terminal?

"Plan A sounds awesome, but if you have the time then maybe come to Amsterdam Wednesday and then take a late evening flight on Friday."

Thank you, will try to work out those days. We are now wondering if we should take a train from Amsterdam to Copenhagen to see more scenery.

So schedule would look like this (assuming we can't add the extra day):

Thursday & Friday in Amsterdam

Saturday on the train

Sunday and Monday in Copenhagen, board ship.

I appreciate your help.

You can take the night train (City Night Line) Friday night,

19:01 Departure from Amsterdam Centraal with CNL 40447 towards København H

10:07 (next morning) Arrival København H

or Saturday

07:04 Departure from Amsterdam Centraal with ICE 121 towards Frankfurt (Main) Hbf

09:06 Arrival at Duisburg Hbf

09:46 Departure from Duisburg Hbf with IC 2310 towards Westerland (Sylt)

13:12 Arrival at Hamburg Hbf

13:28 Departure from Hamburg Hbf with ICE 35 towards København H

18:14 Arrival at København H

or

09:02 Departure from Amsterdam Centraal with IC 143 towards Berlin Ostbahnhof

12:06 Arrival Osnabrück Hbf

12:23 Departure Osnabrück Hbf with ICE 1028 towards Hamburg-Altona

14:12 Arrival Hamburg Hbf

15:28 Departure from Hamburg Hbf with ICE 37 Towards København H

20:14 Arrival at København H

If you go to bahn.de and choose English you can buy the tickets online for a lower rate and print out your ticket at home.

You can pay the full price and have full flexibility on the ticket or pay the reduced price but then your ticket is fixed on the choosen departure and can only be changed for a fee.

When I checked last night you could already buy the ticket for the night train and the other departures where available from the first of March.

Clarion Mayfair is simply one of the best hotels in Copenhagen at the moment an was nominated for the travellers choice award for best service in Copenhagen (or is it Denmark) last year and got in at number 8.

Its rated as the fifth best hotel in Copenhagen, Kong Frederik is number 58 or something. huuuuge gap.

Edited by Danish viking