New York Newbie

willpickup

Myself and the DW will be cruising on the carnival glory from NYC on labor day. I have never been to NYC before and I would like a hotel with parking / shuttle service but from reading other posts it seems there aren't any. What options do I have with the least amount of hassle?

Any input welcomed.

Sent from my Amaze 4G using Tapatalk 2

2 adults no kids driving from SC, to Gettysburg, PA. for a horror convention, then leaving Gettysburg Sunday morning cruise departs NYC Monday. Sept. 2nd.

Budget isn't unlimited but we realize and are willing to pay more for convenience / peace of mind.

As far as luggage goes we would really prefer not having to carry it very far. Especially on the streets of NYC. Would much rather let the shuttle driver / porters handle everything.

Sightseeing would be nice but was thinking we would do that post cruise so we would have more time.

Do you expect to get to NYC early enough on Sunday that you want/need to be in Manhattan to do a little touring or to have dinner? Or are you OK getting to a hotel in New Jersey and taking some sort of transit into the city the morning of the cruise?

Then the question comes up with after the cruise -- if you *are* going to do some siteseeing after the cruise, you'll need a hotel. What's your budget? What are the dates?

Its a five night so I should be back on Saturday the 7th. As far as sightseeing after if we are able to at all it would be brief as we would really like to be back in SC by Monday night.

Here's what I would recommend. Book the park/sleep through stay123.com at Country Inns for $139 + tax. This is an easy hotel to find at exit 13a of the turnpike. Your room will probably not be ready early Sunday, but check in anyway and get back in the car and drive north to exit 15X Secaucus Junction (follow the Lincoln Tunnel signs when the turnpike splits). Park your car (there should be some good weekend rates) and take the train to New York Penn Station for the rest of the day in NY.

Book a car service to take you to the pier Monday morning. For a more budget service contact Independent Driver - 888-816-0973.

Coming back on Saturday I'd take a cab to Schwartz Travel on West 36th St to check your luggage for the day. This is close to Port Authority Bus Terminal, New York Penn Station, and Times Square. Spend the day in New York. To get back to Country Inns you have several options - you don't really have to make a decision until after you see what you're dealing with the previous weekend.

1) take your luggage 4 blocks to 40th St between 8th and 9th Aves to get the Newark Airport bus for $16/pp back to the airport where you can take the free shuttle back to the hotel.

2) take your luggage 4 blocks to New York Penn Station and go to Newark Penn Station and take a cab back to the hotel or take the train to Newark Airport Station, take your luggage on the monorail to P4, and take the free shuttle back to the hotel.

3) Arrange for your car service to pick you up at Schwartz Travel to take you back to the hotel.

If you want to drive a bit south on Sunday night, you can look for hotels south along the turnpike. To minimize your luggage, I'd pack a suitcase for pre and post cruise and a suitcase just for the 5 day cruise. No point in lugging a lot of stuff along for such a short cruise - leave the rest locked in the trunk of your car.

Here's what I would recommend. Book the park/sleep through stay123.com at Country Inns for $139 + tax. This is an easy hotel to find at exit 13a of the turnpike. Your room will probably not be ready early Sunday, but check in anyway and get back in the car and drive north to exit 15X Secaucus Junction (follow the Lincoln Tunnel signs when the turnpike splits). Park your car (there should be some good weekend rates) and take the train to New York Penn Station for the rest of the day in NY.

Book a car service to take you to the pier Monday morning. For a more budget service contact Independent Driver - 888-816-0973.

Coming back on Saturday I'd take a cab to Schwartz Travel on West 36th St to check your luggage for the day. This is close to Port Authority Bus Terminal, New York Penn Station, and Times Square. Spend the day in New York. To get back to Country Inns you have several options - you don't really have to make a decision until after you see what you're dealing with the previous weekend.

1) take your luggage 4 blocks to 40th St between 8th and 9th Aves to get the Newark Airport bus for $16/pp back to the airport where you can take the free shuttle back to the hotel.

2) take your luggage 4 blocks to New York Penn Station and go to Newark Penn Station and take a cab back to the hotel or take the train to Newark Airport Station, take your luggage on the monorail to P4, and take the free shuttle back to the hotel.

3) Arrange for your car service to pick you up at Schwartz Travel to take you back to the hotel.

If you want to drive a bit south on Sunday night, you can look for hotels south along the turnpike. To minimize your luggage, I'd pack a suitcase for pre and post cruise and a suitcase just for the 5 day cruise. No point in lugging a lot of stuff along for such a short cruise - leave the rest locked in the trunk of your car.

Thank you for recommending Schwartz. Might come in handy.

I have to say the country inn is fine if you are leaving from bayonne. but leaving from manhattan its a little far. you might want to check into secaucus hotels (embassy suites) or the sheraton lincoln harbor (just outside the linclon tunnel). both otpions have fairly easy public transportation options for getting into mahattan. also should you decide on car service, it should not break the bank.

That's true, but they have to park their car someplace for 5+ days. Embassy suites is $356 for a park/cruise package which is pricey. You get free parking for the cruise and one way transportation to the port, but ....It's still pricey.

It's a quick ride up the turnpike to Secaucus Junction to park for the day and take the train into Manhattan.

• 2 months later...

We have changed to sept. 21st. 7 day cruise. I am still leaning towards staying in the hotel in Newark that will offer free parking and using some sort of car service.

Myself and the DW will be cruising on the carnival glory from NYC on labor day. I have never been to NYC before and I would like a hotel with parking / shuttle service but from reading other posts it seems there aren't any. What options do I have with the least amount of hassle?

Any input welcomed.

Please join our very slow roll call!

I think it's easiest to park at the pier though it's $35 per day.

We have changed to sept. 21st. 7 day cruise. I am still leaning towards staying in the hotel in Newark that will offer free parking and using some sort of car service.

Several posters on this board have warned others about being careful in selecting a hotel in Newark. There are some areas that you don't want to be in nor leave your car there. Have you tried tripadvisor.com for highly rated hotels according to the reviews by those who stayed there.

Wyndham Gardens is available on stay123.com for 2 people for $115 + tax. It's not a hotel we normally recommend, but we also don't say "don't ever stay there." It's location on route 1 on the west side of the airport is not the best location.

Country Inns is on stay123 for $139+ tax and is a more popular hotel with cruisers because of its easy on/easy off location at Exit 13A of the turnpike and its proximity to Jersey Gardens Mall, Ruby Tuesdays, and IHOP.

• 3 months later...

Yes that's the confusing part. I made reservations online got a confirmation number and everything then I got a phone call saying my reservation could not be confirmed. This call went straight to voicemail and I haven't called it back yet. I have a couple emails out to the website with no reply.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

It seems they (stay123) changed my reservation to the;

CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL NEW JERSEY

901 Spring Street

Elizabeth , NJ , 07201

What kind of location is this? would it be an ok option or should I just cancel and go with someone else?

Thanks,

So what hotel did you try to book on Stay123 that they couldn't confirm?

Buyreservations has the Courtyard Elizabeth(not Newark). Trinityreservations has the Ramada.

Crowne Plaza is another hotel that we don't normally recommend, but we also don't say "don't ever stay there".

Archived