Saint Petersburg: Maps , pictures and information.

4 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We went to Красный кабачок for lunch which means Red or Beautiful Tavern in Peterhof

Great place - it is actually the Red Zucchini restaurant. кабачок = zucchini

We like Georgian cuisine.

Link to their website where one can find their menu:

http://redkabak.ru/

Edited by dogs4fun

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Great place - it is actually the Red Zucchini restaurant. кабачок = zucchini

We like Georgian cuisine.

Link to their website where one can find their menu:

http://redkabak.ru/

I thought that I remembered our guide telling us that is a tavern . Maybe she said it was a tavern .

The history of the tavern began in 1706, when Peter I gave the translator Semyon Ivanov land around the tavern. A little later, in 1713, Ivanov got a house next door for building a tavern based on a German model. The “Red Zucchini”, neat and solid in German, quickly became a favorite place for merry Russian festivals, which in terms of scope were unrivaled. Peter I, indefatigable both in work and in fun, chose this place for revels in the noisy companies of his many German and Russian friends and minions. The Petersburg public also fell in love with this place - for its delicious cuisine, tidy atmosphere and polite service staff.

10 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

I thought that I remembered our guide telling us that is a tavern . Maybe she said it was a tavern .

The history of the tavern began in 1706, when Peter I gave the translator Semyon Ivanov land around the tavern. A little later, in 1713, Ivanov got a house next door for building a tavern based on a German model. The “Red Zucchini”, neat and solid in German, quickly became a favorite place for merry Russian festivals, which in terms of scope were unrivaled. Peter I, indefatigable both in work and in fun, chose this place for revels in the noisy companies of his many German and Russian friends and minions. The Petersburg public also fell in love with this place - for its delicious cuisine, tidy atmosphere and polite service staff.

Yes, according to the history listed on the restaurant's website, it was once a tavern. According to the website, it won "Best restaurant in St. Petersburg" in 2011. No matter - I was simply pointing out the literal meaning of the restaurant's name ... the food is great regardless of the name. 

7 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We went to Красный кабачок for lunch which means Red or Beautiful Tavern

Красный = red

кабачок = zucchini

Красный кабачок = red zucchini

We loved their solyanka and we also enjoyed their cheese bread.

Another favorite of ours is Tarkhun (Тархун) - a mere 5 minute stroll from the Faberge Museum. We really like their Georgian food too. Great solyanka and cheese bread (creatures of habit 😎).

btw - great photos

49 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, according to the history listed on the restaurant's website, it was once a tavern. According to the website, it won "Best restaurant in St. Petersburg" in 2011. No matter - I was simply pointing out the literal meaning of the restaurant's name ... the food is great regardless of the name. 

Красный = red

кабачок = zucchini

Красный кабачок = red zucchini

We loved their solyanka and we also enjoyed their cheese bread.

Another favorite of ours is Tarkhun (Тархун) - a mere 5 minute stroll from the Faberge Museum. We really like their Georgian food too. Great solyanka and cheese bread (creatures of habit 😎).

btw - great photos

Thank you for pointing that out since our Russian is a little rusty . Oh , that sounds like drink - A Rusty Russian . And yes we have been to Tarkhun which means Tarragon , and we loved it . Do they still bring the check in a treasure chest ? It's a bit of a walk from the apartment we rent and some Russian friends showed us a place closer just on the street behind Kazan Cathedral .

IMG_1196_zpsrk7u1rix.jpg

We really like this place and it's food .

DSC06303_zpsntnooeac.jpg

And the menu - so simple that that even we could read it !

DSC06299_zpsdumw1avs.jpg

Our grandson really like this cheese bread and my wife made some .

Adjara Khachapuri - break off a piece and dip

DSC03411_zpsmqglwyhd.jpg

13 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Do they still bring the check in a treasure chest ?

Well, we must not rate very highly because we have never received our bill in a treasure chest (at least not that I can recall - memory sometimes fails me). 

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Well, we must not rate very highly because we have never received our bill in a treasure chest (at least not that I can recall - memory sometimes fails me). 

This was a while back in 2009 . Maybe we spent so much that they needed a treasure chest . 😉

Have you tried Armenian food ?

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Have you tried Armenian food ?

Full disclosure - an issue of which I am somewhat chagrined  - I am a very picky eater (the only one in my entire family and they find me a quite a "pain"). I do not care for the Armenian food I have tried (notable exception being paklava/pachlava and some other pastries). Can't stomach even the smell of lamb let alone eating any, don't like rice, yogurt, couscous, pork ... will not go on with an endless list as I am sure you get my point. When I heard Anderson Cooper explain his attitude toward food (very finicky) I found that he was succinctly expressing my sentiments as well. 

The primary reason I responded to your post regarding food is due to the Georgian cuisine offered at the restaurant you visited - I am usually silent regarding food choices unless it is one of the rather few choices I like.

For example ... we absolutely love visiting Israel & Greece but I practically starve if staying for any length of time as I don't care for most of the local cuisines offered.  Absolutely detest sushi which the rest of my family loves.

I can safely find something that pleases me in Georgian, Italian, German/Austrian,  Mexican, Hungarian & French restaurants worldwide (probably left out a few). 

Pastries are another matter entirely - love almost anything sweet.

Looks like you are "foodies" and experts at trying local cuisines (judging from your photos) - wish I were more adventurous regarding food but alas, I am not. My brother & SIL always take photos of their restaurant meals in europe & food/veggie items in european markets - I have never taken a photo of food in my entire life.

49 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Full disclosure - an issue of which I am somewhat chagrined  - I am a very picky eater (the only one in my entire family and they find me a quite a "pain"). I do not care for the Armenian food I have tried (notable exception being paklava/pachlava and some other pastries). Can't stomach even the smell of lamb let alone eating any, don't like rice, yogurt, couscous, pork ... will not go on with an endless list as I am sure you get my point. When I heard Anderson Cooper explain his attitude toward food (very finicky) I found that he was succinctly expressing my sentiments as well. 

The primary reason I responded to your post regarding food is due to the Georgian cuisine offered at the restaurant you visited - I am usually silent regarding food choices unless it is one of the rather few choices I like.

For example ... we absolutely love visiting Israel & Greece but I practically starve if staying for any length of time as I don't care for most of the local cuisines offered.  Absolutely detest sushi which the rest of my family loves.

I can safely find something that pleases me in Georgian, Italian, German/Austrian,  Mexican, Hungarian & French restaurants worldwide (probably left out a few). 

Pastries are another matter entirely - love almost anything sweet.

Looks like you are "foodies" and experts at trying local cuisines (judging from your photos) - wish I were more adventurous regarding food but alas, I am not. My brother & SIL always take photos of their restaurant meals in europe & food/veggie items in european markets - I have never taken a photo of food in my entire life.

We do like to try different foods and eat locally . I tried a bite of the Salo at the Red Zucchini and that's all ! My wife loves foie gras and I let her have all of mine . The Armenian restaurant is right across the street from the apartment so we tried them and like the chicken Kebabs . They make a good pizza too and they are very nice people . When we were in the market for some food like home we tried Conchita Bonita . We ordered in Spanish and they said " English or Russian " .

L1050954.jpg

Some young people near us didn't know how to roll fajitas so we showed them . It became a regular stop for us . I take the food photos to share with others and we had a nice Chef's Table on the Regal Princess was was great and fun to photograph . Our middle grandson is a picky eater and when we made King Crab legs he started crying and refused to eat . My wife told him that he only had to try 1 bite . He then proclaimed " I love crab legs " ! BTW I've never taken a selfie on purpose .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

On 10/7/2019 at 3:20 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

As far as the lottery goes, we did not want to play any Russian games of chance especially after finding out what "Russian Roulette" was.

I'd say good call on skipping the lottery. I'm thinking if anyone asked who the winner was, there'd be nothing but a blank stare from the train conductor, or alternatively, an offer to buy another ticket. 

Stick to the chocolate, you obviously cannot lose with that. And thank you for the tip on Big Smile store 🙂 Awesome!

14 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I'd say good call on skipping the lottery. I'm thinking if anyone asked who the winner was, there'd be nothing but a blank stare from the train conductor, or alternatively, an offer to buy another ticket. 

Stick to the chocolate, you obviously cannot lose with that. And thank you for the tip on Big Smile store 🙂 Awesome!

We do like the chocolate and found some nice boxes for gifts in the grocery store .

• Like 1

If we want to see some great art we would go to the Hermitage which was closed on Monday when we were there . But if we want to see some great Russian art we go to the Russian Museum where there will be few tourists .

IMG_007920Stitch-001_zpsi1bka5v4.jpg

IMG_9277_zps2ejtvtpv.jpg

IMG_9381_zpsymusggpa.jpg

Mosaic of Catherine the Great

7ee9cac1-756c-4702-bf87-7c112b1c7716_zps