Saint Petersburg: Maps , pictures and information.

I am not sure how to post images here but I will attempt it.

Here is one that I took late summer with my smaller D7000 and 24mm, handheld:

Alexander-1.jpg

I will let you guess where this is since it is right next to where you visited yet few foreign visitors have ever seen it.

As a hint, here is another shot of the same palace on another day as the sun was setting late at night, to the right:

sunset-a1.jpg

Here is a winter shot of St Isaac Cathedral on a rare snow day(very little snow in the last 2 years)

st-isasc.jpg

This one was in the rain on a dull day with a storm coming on off the Gulf of Finland, taken at Peterhof

nebar-40.jpg

Here is a place you visited, one of my favorite hangouts in the summer, Pavlovsk Park not many foreign visitors go there. : pavlovsk-18nx.jpg

I take more people shots than landscapes. Here is a crop of 200mm shot of a bride getting impatient with her photographer since it was in a park, 12 degrees and windy on a dark overcast drab day. When I got closer I realized I knew her from a dance party we both attended before she met her husband.

sat-25a.jpg

I seldom plan on photo trips around the city, just happen to have a camera with me many times, particularly late at night. Most of these were shot with light zooms on D90 or D7000, but the night and newer landscapes are with the D800 which has 14.4 stops of DR and does well at high ISO, so I usually do not use ND filters for these casual fast shutter hand held shots. The colors would be richer if I used a tripod and slow shutter speeds at low ISO but tripods are not handy when just exploring because I can't take it into a museum. If I show some visitors around for photo taking sessions, I don't use a tripod then either since I am usually helping them with angles or settings.

Hope to see you in 2015 during the big party!

Edited by spbstan

Thank you for the beautiful photographs spbstan. I especially enjoyed the one of the Alexander Palace reflected in the pond. When we visited there in 2011 we didn't walk the grounds very much. Most of our visit was inside. We haven't reviewed it in the thread because it still needed some renovation work and of course most people will opt for Catherine's Palace. The work that had been completed looked good like the New Study.

IMG_2718-001_zps7e524ed6-1.jpg

Unfortunately, like almost all news items in the US are highly biased in their presentation. M10 is not in great shape but is absolutely better than claimed in the hit piece. I have driven it many times and it is not as decrepit as the story wants you to believe.

Villages are dying however, young people have all left and gone for good jobs and university in the 15 cities with over 1 million residents. As the last pensioner dies, the villages go to ruin and are not reclaimed, about 3,000 villages a year cease to have any residents so it is really hard to justify expensive infrastructure enhancements for a town of 3 people 100 miles from the nearest paved road. The country was built along railroad lines, not roads due to the vast expanses, 11 time zones across so it is not unexpected that the areas of development and population follow the rails. During the Soviet era, there were jobs for people in villages, even if just make-work jobs so everyone could have income but when capitalism replaced that economic system, there were no work activities from which to earn a living. So there was a mass migration to cities along rail lines.

The country is the least population density of any in the world so it is hard to justify supporting tiny villages with no business or agriculture, and no way to get the products to market if there were is low on the list of priorities. I wander the country and see many villages where life has changed little but there is one thing in common with all of them, there are no young working age people. The kids and grand kids have high educations and living in cities. Even with the decaying village life and hard winters, the country still has the most educated population of all countries with 58% with a university degree.

Eventually the forests will be resettled but when it is possible to provide services off the grid. As wealth is accumulated, many people build nice cottages, large multistory modern homes in the nearer forests but it will be decades before people are interested in doing that far from any road or rail line.

My girlfriend misses village life and she has a large tract of land with small house in a village in Ukraine but despite her dreams of living there again, every visit back, in the village she grew up in, and seeing only 2 people in their 80s left, with no electricity, 5 km walk to the nearest rail line, her interest in living in the remote rural areas lessens. Even when she was a child there were only 5 homes there. The people staying in the villages have one advantage over poor people around the world, they own their property free and clear, pay no taxes and are free to do as they please with their homes. Many, most, are just abandoned for city life and good jobs.

The article is inaccurate on many claims and biased in others so reading it, results in more inaccurate impressions of the country.

Thank you for the beautiful photographs spbstan. I especially enjoyed the one of the Alexander Palace reflected in the pond. When we visited there in 2011 we didn't walk the grounds very much. Most of our visit was inside. We haven't reviewed it in the thread because it still needed some renovation work and of course most people will opt for Catherine's Palace. The work that had been completed looked good like the New Study.

I really enjoy the town of Pushkin and have been looking for a home there, one of the nicest small towns in Europe. Really worth hanging out in with large lush parks, colorful flowers everywhere, every building and sidewalk in excellent condition, no graffiti or dirty streets and two interesting historic palaces in town. Alexander Palace is one that is livable, human scale and designed for people, albeit rather rich people, unlike the gigantic 1000++ room monsters in in other districts. It is also a quick trip by train, bus or foot to Pavlovsk park, which is a great way to get away from the city in 1500 acres of forest, meadows, rivers and lakes, plus a palace. An electric suburban train runs from the city center of St Petersburg to a train station directly across the street from the park. It is too bad more cruisers do not have time for some of these sights. All seem to be content with a short list of crowded destinations where all cruisers go, leaving most possible destinations essentially unused.

There are some new walking tours in the city center that allow visitors to get to know the areas and people more directly, plus save a lot of money so maybe there will be more interest in doing less conventional things.

Hi

We're booked on a 14-day Baltic cruise next August and we're just beginning to familiarize ourselves with what are almost all new ports for us. A big concern is to determine which sights to see if we have only two days in St. Petersburg and limited time in the other ports, too.

DELOS456 We are from OH also and going to St. P in mid Aug 2014. I sent a friend request so we could compare notes. or email me at clevelandmb at yahoo.

• 1 month later...

Meanwhile , back at the dacha . When we last posted (prior to being interrupted by a wonderful trip to South America), so long ago , we were at a dacha just North of St. Petersburg. Our hostess , Alexandria had brought us to visit her mom's dacha . The dacha was rented and she requested verbal permission to explore the dacha from the tenants. They were very kind and consented to let us look around while they were making us a brunch. We shared a meal in the cozy kitchen of potato pancakes , blinis , homemade jellies and a kind of farmer's cheese . The food and the company was wonderful. The lady who lived there is a writer and she and her mom had never met , nor seen , any Americans before and yet she spoke good English . They treated us like we were good friends.

P1050319-001_zpsda0a847a.jpg

I found this video on youtube that gives a good explanation of the banya :

After brunch we made our way to the banya about 30 yards from the dacha. Alexandra showed us the area and started a fire in the fireplace to heat up the sauna.

IMG_8337-001_zpsb3640b3d.jpg

She then opened her bag that was stuffed with presents from her mom and dad. It was filled with everything that we needed . Matching cover ups , slippers , and hats ! Brand new towels , washcloths and sponges . Soap and shampoo . It was like Christmas ! She treated us like we were in First Class on a flight - but with lots of room , a shower and a sauna . But no airplane could ever have a sauna !

IMG_8340-001_zps8f12eb81.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, your dacha post is so nice:)

Thanks cansas.piligrim , but the real fun was only beginning ! After opening our nice , soft presents came the last one - the veniks .

http://russiapedia.rt.com/of-russian-origin/venik/

We began soaking them in the wet room as we prepared for the sauna.

P1050329-001_zps78a28049.jpg

Following our host's instruction , we took separate showers in the wet room followed by a joint meeting in the dry sauna - Finnish style .

P1050328-001_zps3b08fce2.jpg

After about 15- 20 minutes came a COLD plunge in a lake or the snow ! We had neither , so a cold shower sealed the deal for us! It was very refreshing but , I was ready for the Russian Sauna .

P1050330-001_zps73bd9fb1.jpg

This time we used water from the soaking Eucalyptus leaves to create steam on the rocks inside the sauna. The steam and the vapors from the Eucalyptus were very invigorating ! After another 15-20 minute sauna time came the cold shower and a tea break in the dry room .

In our final cycle in the sauna - we brought out the branches for the circulatory massage . I must admit that it didn't hurt and it did feel mildly stimulating ( or was it the Eucalyptus ? ). After another shower , tea , rest and dressing - we were finished (or should I say Finnished ?) . I really did feel clean , relaxed and "born again" as Alexandra had said . After saying our goodbyes and thank you to the tenants , we made our way back , past the lake to wait for the train. Stopping along the way , we looked for mushrooms (Russians are very fond of mushrooms and mushroom picking ) . We only found this poisonous one !

P1050343-001_zps3e2f5bd1.jpg

On the next day we saw the same mushrooms on a Mother- in - law Cake in a Moscow bakery.

P1050369-001_zps84e85016.jpg

Waiting at the train stop to return to St. Petersburg we reflected on how much we had enjoyed this experience and how fortunate we were to meet Alexandra . We hope to visit Russia again and repeat a day at the dacha.

• 2 weeks later...

The most famous Ballet in St. Petersburg is The Mariinsky Theatre. The building was opened in 1860 and named after Empress Maria Alexandrovna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariinsky_Theatre

Here is a picture of it on a rainy September morning

P1050441-001_zps3f386717.jpg

It was in it's 231st season. To the right of this picture is the Mariinsky II (not pictured) which opened in May of 2013. Most of the reviews that I have read are not as good as that of the original.

P1050442-001_zps99b110c1.jpg

An older though lesser known theatre is the Alexandrinsky Imperial Ballet Theatre which opened in 1756.

IMG_2514-001_zpsbf06c681-1.jpg

The best web site that I have found that includes information about many evening entertainment options and allows you to see what is on and to choose seats is :

http://www.balletandopera.com/?sid=9U5UO7g9x4O07CA93Bd1&month=2014-05&play_theatre=&play_festival=&play_perfomance=&play_date_from=01-May-2014&play_date_to=31-May-2014#mo1

If you order through the web site , you tickets will be delivered to the guide service that you use or the place where you stay.

• 1 month later...

PETERHOF SEE RECORD NUMBER OF VISITORS

The St. Petersburg Times

Published: May 8, 2014 (Issue # 1809)

A record number of visitors descended on Peterhof during the first four days of the month.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

More than 110,000 people visited the State Peterhof Museum Reserve during the May Day holidays according to the museum’s director Elena Kalnitskaya, Interfax reported.

“During the first 4 days in May 112,000 people visited Peterhof, which is a lot for us,” said Kalnitskaya speaking on the Ekho Peterburga radio station on Wednesday. “We especially love the visitors who come in May as they are always Petersburgers.”

According to Kalnitskaya, the fountains of Peterhof were switched on for the first time this year on May 1. The official inauguration of the fountain season and a public ceremony will be held on May 17. Kalnitskaya stated that on this day a parade of military bands at Peterhof is planned.

Meanwhile, as noted by Kalnitskaya, the museum began the new season with a few problems: The passenger pier for the Meteor speedboats that transport visitors from central St. Petersburg will not be ready as anticipated on June 1. The repairs of the jetty were disrupted by a lack of funding, she said.

“Contractors do not work for free,” said Kalnitskaya. “I have already sent a letter to the Minister of Culture setting out our problems. The pier must be repaired as soon as possible; otherwise it will be a very big problem for us. People are used to coming to Peterhof by speedboat and now, unfortunately, they can’t."

• 2 weeks later...

With the financial sanctions taking effect and Russian inflation , Dollars and Euros are more welcome than ever in St. Petersburg. So unless you want Rubles as a souvenir do yourself a favor and pay in cash. You will save a transaction fee and most Russians will prefer it. Here's a link to the story.

http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=39814

In a second story, Morgan Stanley recommends that under a new Russian law , Visa and Master Charge may be better off abandoning the Russian market. So once again , cash is King and confirm with your guide service about payments before leaving.

http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=39846

• 4 weeks later...

For many visitors Peterhof will be the highlight of their tour to St. Petersburg. Especially the fountains in the heat of summer or visitors with children. For many people , the trip will begin or end with a ride on the hydrofoil as this video shows.

A walk on the long pier will bring you to the lower gardens

IMG_7778-001_zps315e3745.jpg

And a view of the palace and fountains (if they are on).

IMG_7628-001_zps39495cb4.jpg

Waiting for the fountains

IMG_7480-001_zps7c09313d.jpg

If you arrive before 11 , you may witness the fountains coming on , like in this video:

Edited by scubacruiserx2

After the fountains are turned on you will surely want to take some pictures of the Main Cascade.

This is the Wounded Amazon

IMG_7721-001_zps70118ffe.jpg

Here Sampson opens the jaws of a Lion is symbolic of Russia under Peter the Great , defeating Sweden in the Battle of Poltova , insuring that St. Petersburg would belong to Russia.

IMG_7733-001_zps7052c080.jpg

If you choose , at the top of the cascade , you can be photographed with actors in period costumes (for a price).

IMG_7690-001_zpsa68a6602.jpg

Here are the Roman Fountains

IMG_7576-001_zpsf557aa0f.jpg

And a overview of the main cascade and many of the fountains

IMG_7676-001_zpsbb9ec315.jpg

But most of the real fun especially for children , occurs when people in the Trick Fountains search for a hidden rock that activates the fountains

Europe09260-001_zps01562ba7.jpg

In this video clip , a kids search for (and find) the hidden rock. Click on the picture for the video.

th_L1050801_zpsc08320b9.jpg

This fountain is turned on at 1,2 and 3 pm.

Europe09256-001_zps98c95ce0.jpg

In this video clip you can see the fountain being turned on . At the 38 second mark , the kids are drenched .

This fountain and garden are near the Monplaisir Palace on the Gulf of Finland

IMG_7608-001_zps663f0ba9.jpg

But beware when taking photos near the palace. Men wearing masks may slip up behind you and put money in your pocket , as this sign clearly shows !!!

IMG_7603-001_zpsc603ab5a.jpg

In addition to the main cascade there are several lesser cascades. Because of time constraints , you may not be able to see them in person.

This is the Dragon Cascade also called Chessboard Hill

Europe09Pat269-001_zpscc5d2770.jpg

In lower section of the park is found the Golden Cascade

IMG_7661-001_zps53bc7466.jpg

With this spout at the top

IMG_7667-001_zps191a2508.jpg

Not far from the cascade is the Marly Palace . It was designed to be a palace for "Celebrated persons" , but was not completed until after Peter's death. It was used for storage of Peter's costumes , paintings and furniture.

IMG_7654-001_zpsf936388d.jpg

The first hermitage in Russia was this small palace with a moat and drawbridge. In Peter's time a lift was used to raise guests to the second floor. A second lift was used to raise a table , fully set and provisioned with the finest food , to Peter and waiting his guests on the second floor !!

Europe09280-001_zpsaa450e91.jpg

I have tried to send an email to Gennadiy Cheatsou regarding a private tour in St. Petersburg using the email in previous posts. However, the email keeps coming back as undeliverable. Any suggestions?

http://www.guide-petersburg.com/contacts/ This is his website and there are phone numbers St. Pete is 8 hours ahead of EST.

We have not spoken to him recently.

If you still have trouble please e-mail me scubacruiserx2@gmail.com and I can give you another e-mail contact for him or I will try to contact him.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that many visitors to St. Petersburg are bringing their children. So with that in mind , we will show a number of good places to visit. Children in Russia are raised differently from many of their American counterparts. They are encouraged to read more (less video , computer and entertainment) and have many more field trip to parks , churches , museums and other places when the weather is good. They learn how to learn , and not so much of what to learn. They also learn to be patient and consider others ( instead of just self ). As homeschooling parents of 3 , we took a similar approach and also used incentives to encourage good behavior during the "boring" lessons. We taught hard during the "teachable moments" while looking to create more of them. With that in mind we will move on.

Here's a school class getting ready to explore the Hermitage

IMG_2919-002_zpsa7fea0e9.jpg

As an incentive for good behavior and participation , there might be a stop for ice cream in the park

IMG_3987-001_zps0ae93f65.jpg

After going to the Peter and Paul Cathedral and Fortress to see and learn about the Romanovs

Europe09095.jpg

We could see the cannon fired at noon. Who could forget that ?

IMG_3882.jpg

Speaking of cannons , the Artillery Museum is directly behind the Peter and Paul Fortress

Europe09375-001_zps123ce26e.jpg

It's a place where kids are encouraged to climb and have their pictures taken. What boy or girl doesn't like to climb ?

Europe09374.jpg

Another spot where kids are encouraged to climb on a cannon is the cruiser Aurora .

IMG_3938-001_zpsc90fd7a0.jpg

This ship fired a black shot as a signal to storm the Winter Palace (Hermitage) during the 1917 Revolution.

IMG_3943-001_zpsbe7097b4.jpg

If your kids are true climbers , another favorite spot nearby is the statute of V.I. Lenin in front of the Finland Train Station .

IMG_3964-001_zps3e1ff47f.jpg

One of our favorite things to do at the Peter and Paul Fortress was a helicopter flight over St. Petersburg.

Europe09366.jpg

The helicopter flies on Saturday , Sunday and holidays. It also flies over Peterhof.

Europe09361-001_zpsba08a07b.jpg

There are many forms of public transportation in St. Petersburg that both adults and children will enjoy together:

A boat trip on the canals and the Neva River

Europe09044_zps70f61eca.jpg

A tram ride like this one at Pavlovsk

IMG_2689.jpg

We took this picture from the HOHO bus

IMG_8273-001_zps31dec34f-1.jpg

The Metro is the deepest in the world with the world's longest escalator to reach the trains below , as seen in this video:

The Metro stations are uniquely and ornately decorated like the Narva

IMG_3668-001.jpg

And here comes the train in this video !

This is the Avtovo station

IMG_3661.jpg

Perhaps the best place for kids is Peterhof . And it all begins with a ride on the hydrofoil.

IMG_7790-001_zps561a0b19.jpg

Probably the best place for kids in St. Petersburg is Peterhof . With a ride on the hydrofoil and the fountains , what's not to like ? There is plenty of room to run and play outside.

IMG_3150-001.jpg

There is also another tram to ride

IMG_7577-002_zps17516d05.jpg

These kids seemed to enjoy the statue's wardrobe malfunction.

IMG_7618-001_zps1e818ea1.jpg