Illness on Ships

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Of course, you are correct Susan. While I do not approve of a ship putting ill pax ashore as long as they are cooperating with quarantine, I don't know what they can do when it is the end of the cruise.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]It is a problem when one considers the hotels ill people are going to, taxis they ride in, airports, restrooms.......all of it.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]At the end of the cruise, though, there is no choice but for everyone to have to leave the ship. [/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]NLV is brought aboard the ships by ill pax/crew. As I was reading the above post about a medical questionaire, I was imagining that not very many folks would answer truthfully if they were ill with NLV. They know they would be denied boarding. They clearly had made the decision to travel despite being ill or they would not be at the dock. They, obviously, have little regard for all the people they are exposing and for the huge amount of work, bad publicity, high cost the ships incur when ill pax/crew bring the virus aboard. But the ship isn't ill; it is people who are ill and it has to be people who bring it aboard. And, you are right, that it is people who will bring it back ashore to everyplace they visit or transit through.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Having caught it; having had it in addition to other underlying health issues, I can tell you it is not the worst thing in the world that one can catch. While one can be very ill in the beginning, for most people that stage passes quickly and most recover in a short time. I have never heard of anyone having any sort of severe complication from it...but I suppose it is possible and perhaps someone here has heard of someone they think was particularly ill.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I seriously doubt there is a nursing home, hospital, dormitory, airplane, hotel or the like that has never had an outbreak. Most guests in a hotel who become ill have no clue it is NLV. They assume they have a 'touch of food poisoning', an 'upset stomach'....Only because of the close quarters and the ability to 'count cases' on a ship do we hear of it primarily in relation to ships.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]People come and go in a hotel and have next to no contact with other guests to the point they would know if many guests in the hotel had 'sick stomachs'. People are checking in and out and even the hotel doesn't REALLY know. (....and doesn't scrub down a room after a sick person leaves the way a cruiseship does.)[/font][/b]

[quote name='sail7seas']

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Having caught it; having had it in addition to other underlying health issues, I can tell you it is not the worst thing in the world that one can catch. While one can be very ill in the beginning, for most people that stage passes quickly and most recover in a short time. I have never heard of anyone having any sort of severe complication from it...but I suppose it is possible and perhaps someone here has heard of someone they think was particularly ill.[/font][/b]

[/QUOTE]
Any stomach or intestinal virus can be very serious for the very young and the very old. Both population groups dehydrate very quickly. That is one reason nursing homes will lose many elderly residents when there is an outbreak of this type of virus. Anyone not feeling well should never enter a nursing home for fear of spreading such a virus.

I have heard "bright star" called to alert medical and ship personnel for an immediate medical emergency, such as a passenger who has collapsed and needs immediate medical attention and assistance. That is a very different type of medical emergency than an on-going contagious illness, which I would presume is what the "code red" means.

[quote name='arzz']I have heard "bright star" called to alert medical and ship personnel for an immediate medical emergency, such as a passenger who has collapsed and needs immediate medical attention and assistance. That is a very different type of medical emergency than an on-going contagious illness, which I would presume is what the "code red" means.[/QUOTE]
Yes, Esme I think it was explained above what both of these terms mean so that we would know when we hear them on the ships. Neither is a secret from the passengers, just hopefully we won't hear of them too much. :)

Archived