Don't use transfers to ship if you are in a rush

Cruiser 4 Life 66

Just an FYI for those who are thinking of using them.....

So I’ve taken a few cruises as you can see in my signature, but I’ve never used the ship transfers. I thought I’d give it a try on my latest cruise, going from the Miami Airport to the Port. After my experience I won’t be using them again. After checking in at the Miami airport (which anyone can do whether you bought the transfers or not) you are advised to wait around until someone calls people to line up. Well first let me point out that the average length of time from MIA to the Port is 15 minutes tops. Keep this in mind. So we were told to wait around….this alone was like 15 minutes of waiting. I could have been at the ship by then. Get out your calculators folks, you’re gonna need them. Next we were told to line up like good little soldiers in two lines. Stood in those lines like another 10 minutes. Next we were herded out and lined up to hand off our luggage and get on the bus. I’ll say another 10 minutes for that whole process. Next we had to wait on the bus until every single seat was filled. We sat on the bus at least another 15 minutes. Then the 15 minute drive. Then once we get there we are told stay on the bus until the drive offloads all the luggage – oh and were told “don’t forget to tip your driver”. We sat on the bus for another 10-15 minutes. So folks who are ”pro-transfers” why would I want to spend an hour and 15 minutes to get to the ship when I could get there in 15 minutes? I could have been on the ship an hour earlier than I was. Transfers? Never again.

Actually it comes out cheaper than anything else we could find to/from Galveston. I just don't expect them to load a bus, baggage, and be at the port in 15 minutes (or an hour in my case since that is about how far the port is from the airport).

You will always have to wait until the bus is full. Could be quite a long wait if you arrive earlier than most. I've also found that a cab is often near enough to the price of the cruiseline shuttle to make it worthwhile. Additionally, some airports that serve cruise ports have other shuttles that will take you to the port- usually smaller vans. If you walk outside where the taxis are, there's often a stand to purchase tickets (it usually pays to buy RT). There may be a wait, while they wait for a few more passengers, but in my experience, it's not been too bad.

The only way I would bother with the cruiseline shuttle would be if it was included in my cruise price for some reason, or if other options were very limited.

You can usually find transportation options for any given airport on their website.

Just an FYI for those who are thinking of using them.....

So I’ve taken a few cruises as you can see in my signature, but I’ve never used the ship transfers. I thought I’d give it a try on my latest cruise, going from the Miami Airport to the Port. After my experience I won’t be using them again. After checking in at the Miami airport (which anyone can do whether you bought the transfers or not) you are advised to wait around until someone calls people to line up. Well first let me point out that the average length of time from MIA to the Port is 15 minutes tops. Keep this in mind. So we were told to wait around….this alone was like 15 minutes of waiting. I could have been at the ship by then. Get out your calculators folks, you’re gonna need them. Next we were told to line up like good little soldiers in two lines. Stood in those lines like another 10 minutes. Next we were herded out and lined up to hand off our luggage and get on the bus. I’ll say another 10 minutes for that whole process. Next we had to wait on the bus until every single seat was filled. We sat on the bus at least another 15 minutes. Then the 15 minute drive. Then once we get there we are told stay on the bus until the drive offloads all the luggage – oh and were told “don’t forget to tip your driver”. We sat on the bus for another 10-15 minutes. So folks who are ”pro-transfers” why would I want to spend an hour and 15 minutes to get to the ship when I could get there in 15 minutes? I could have been on the ship an hour earlier than I was. Transfers? Never again.

All cruise line transfers charge more and take longer than finding your own way from MIA to the PoM. Taxi's are even cheaper and way quicker. Your travel agent should have told you the different transportation options. At least you now know for the future though :)

Archived