Spirit or American

FierceAXBoi

I don't believe that there is any substantial reason to select one carrier over the other except whether it fits your price and traveling needs. Unfortunately, no ONE site will always yield the "cheapest fares". While Southwest Airlines is not always the lowest cost carrier in a market, it is not even included in the 3 search engines you mention (i.e., travelocity, expedia, and cheap tickets). Thus, pending other evidence, I would check SideStep or ITA Software (http://beta.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/).

In Robert Cowen's latest newsletter, he states: "Monthly web site comparisons for air travel: I compared Expedia, ITASoftware, Orbitz, SideStep, Southwest and Travelocity for domestic (US) air travel. My recommendation for short notice flights (a week to ten days) is to use ITASoftware and SideStep together. Individually ITASoftware provided the lowest prices 66% of the time and SideStep 89% but together provided the lowest prices 100% of the time. For trips planned more than ten days ahead, almost all of the sites provided identical prices. The biggest difference is how easy it is to find and select your "best" flights. ITASoftware is easiest due to their matrix of results and the extensive filtering and selecting options. The objectives are to minimize travel costs, minimize travel time and to minimize shopping time. ITASoftware is the best shopping site, but don't confuse shopping with buying. In most cases, you should buy directly on the airline's web site."

[This message was edited by parody on 04-18-04 at 08:03 AM.]

Archived