St. Martin Jewelry Store

MCKC

Does anyone reccomend or have a favorite jewelry store in St. Martin? In the past I have dealt with Imperial jewelers in St. Thomas but aren't stopping at that port this trip. I'm looking to upgrade my diamond stud earrings:) Any reccomendations welcome! Thanks!

You will find most everyone here has their own special store(s) that they favor.....so I'll start with mine... Dazzling Gems...at the head of Front St. #10. Danny has worked for several of the existing stores over the years. He decided to open his own store 13 years ago. His selection, service and dedication to your satisfaction seem to be his top priority. His prices are quite fair, and he can get - or have made - anything of any quality you want. He has a service center backup in New York that I've dealt with too.

He'd be my pick.

Certainly others will chime in too.

I have a question for the OP? Why do you think you can get a better deal (and quality) in the Caribbean then at home? Diamonds are not subject to duty (when imported into the US by jewelers). Gold (the most common setting) has its price set by the international market and is the same price in the Caribbean as at home. And if you buy at home you have some legal protection if you get "ripped off" or if something fails (such as a broken setting). There are now some terrific web sites such as Blue Nile where you can price out any type of decent diamond (with a few clicks of the mouse) and get an independent GIA certificate which tells you exactly what you are buying. So rather then dealing with a reputable jeweler (whether it be on line or at home) you prefer to deal with an out of country retailer? Just count me among the confused :)

In a related issue, we recently spent 2 weeks on St Martin and my old Casio watch broke. I stopped in a well-known store in Phillipsburg to pick-up another inexpensive Casio and immediately spotted a model that was exactly what I wanted. I knew the price of this watch in both Target and Walmart since I had recently been doing some browsing in those stores. The "watch discounter" in Phillipsburg wanted $10 more then that same watch at home. When I pointed this out to the store owner he "rolled his eyes" and quickly sold me the watch for $5 less then the US stores. When buying something like a diamond its a different world for most customers since they do not have the knowledge or skill to calculate the real value of a stone.

Hank

I have a question for the OP? Why do you think you can get a better deal (and quality) in the Caribbean then at home? Diamonds are not subject to duty (when imported into the US by jewelers). Gold (the most common setting) has its price set by the international market and is the same price in the Caribbean as at home. And if you buy at home you have some legal protection if you get "ripped off" or if something fails (such as a broken setting). There are now some terrific web sites such as Blue Nile where you can price out any type of decent diamond (with a few clicks of the mouse) and get an independent GIA certificate which tells you exactly what you are buying. So rather then dealing with a reputable jeweler (whether it be on line or at home) you prefer to deal with an out of country retailer? Just count me among the confused :)

In a related issue, we recently spent 2 weeks on St Martin and my old Casio watch broke. I stopped in a well-known store in Phillipsburg to pick-up another inexpensive Casio and immediately spotted a model that was exactly what I wanted. I knew the price of this watch in both Target and Walmart since I had recently been doing some browsing in those stores. The "watch discounter" in Phillipsburg wanted $10 more then that same watch at home. When I pointed this out to the store owner he "rolled his eyes" and quickly sold me the watch for $5 less then the US stores. When buying something like a diamond its a different world for most customers since they do not have the knowledge or skill to calculate the real value of a stone.

Hank

When we travel for a special occassion(it's our anniversary) we often like to purchase jewelry as a momento of the trip. I never stated I thought I could get a better deal or better quality. It has to do with the sentiment.

All you will likely save is sales tax.

We have bought our share during vacations just because it's fun and vacation and we have the time and are in the mood. We always knew we likely were not saving much but we found a much larger selection, in those days. Today the selection has shrunk dramatically because of the economy and price of gold so you won't have a fraction from which to choose in comparison to what we saw for years.

When we travel for a special occassion(it's our anniversary) we often like to purchase jewelry as a momento of the trip. I never stated I thought I could get a better deal or better quality. It has to do with the sentiment.

Ahhh. We have done this ourselves. In that case Kay's Fine Jewelers (no relation to Kay Jewelers in the US) has a good reputation. There store is on Front Street with the other 50+ jewelry stores :)

Hank

Ahhh. We have done this ourselves. In that case Kay's Fine Jewelers (no relation to Kay Jewelers in the US) has a good reputation. There store is on Front Street with the other 50+ jewelry stores :)

Hank

I was also going to say Kay's Fine Jewelers. My husband bought me a beautiful Diamond Anniversary band there for our 10th wedding anniversary. He probably could have got just a good deal at home but everytime I wear the ring I think back to when we bought it there and what an amazing cruise it was. I get more compliments on that ring and how brilliant the diamonds are then any other piece of jewelry I wear. They are very, very nice there and not overbearing. We will be going back there in a few weeks for my belated 50th birthday present. :)

I will second what Hank has said.

Buy a bobble, a momento on your cruise, just don't expect a bargain and for heaven's sake, know prices in the states before you go!

What will you do if you find out that the expensive necklace you purchased is really a CZ? or gold plated not solid? Are you prepared to go BACK to that store to have your issue resolved?

It may have been that deals about in the Caribbean, but those times are LONG gone. Can you buy something nice, why of course you can.....will it be at a bargain price, I doubt it.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

Buy a bobble, a momento on your cruise, just don't expect a bargain and for heaven's sake, know prices in the states before you go!

What will you do if you find out that the expensive necklace you purchased is really a CZ? or gold plated not solid? Are you prepared to go BACK to that store to have your issue resolved?

It may have been that deals about in the Caribbean, but those times are LONG gone. Can you buy something nice, why of course you can.....will it be at a bargain price, I doubt it.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

As I stated before I am not asking for a BARGAIN,or a DEAL, I am asking what stores others have shopped at and liked.

We have not personally shopped at Kay's but are familiar with it, have friends who shopped there and we did a friend a favor by returning an item they purchased they wanted something added to. Kay's treated DH and me very well though they saw we would not be purchasing anything. It left me with a good feeling about them.

They did whatever it was our friends wanted, mailed the item to them promptly and everyone was happy. :)

We went to St Maarten last month and wandered into DK Gems. They were very helpful and found me a ring that matched my band very well (yellow and white gold). They gave me an appraisal certificate for 5000, much more than we paid (although much less than the sticker price). They are a cruise ship guaranteed store, so I felt I had some peace of mind.

When I got home I checked the store out online and they get great reviews. I had my ring appraised and it is worth 7200, more than twice what we paid.

Highly recommend DK Gems. And there are deals to be had in the Caribbean, for us anyway!

We went to St Maarten last month and wandered into DK Gems. They were very helpful and found me a ring that matched my band very well (yellow and white gold). They gave me an appraisal certificate for 5000, much more than we paid (although much less than the sticker price). They are a cruise ship guaranteed store, so I felt I had some peace of mind.

When I got home I checked the store out online and they get great reviews. I had my ring appraised and it is worth 7200, more than twice what we paid.

Highly recommend DK Gems. And there are deals to be had in the Caribbean, for us anyway!

Those are 'for insurance' appraisals.

Over the years we’ve purchased a significant collection of jewelry. We’ve never really shopped the chains like Macy’s or Nordstrom’s, or the Ben Bridges, but have had a few local family owned shops that we’ve dealt with in the past. We've also purchased pearls in Japan and Hong Kong, and Opal in Australia, etc.

But now, especially for diamonds, almost 100% is from St. Maarten, and we have three jewelers on the island (see below). Our guys offer great pieces and prices because for the most part they buy direct, have low overhead and do a HUGE volume.

I’ll include below several comments that I’ve posted previously here on Cruise Critic and some additional notes.

You'll get different opinions, but we are firm believers that for top-quality pieces, St. Maarten offers better value than anywhere else, including St. Thomas, if you are a smart, well prepared shopper.

If you’re looking for higher-end items, look for a GIA certificate and make sure that the jeweler has a US service center (assuming you’re an American/Canadian  ) Do note that the US Duty Free allowance is higher for St. Thomas, if that is of concern.

I say that as long as you know what you’re doing, buy, buy, buy and buy in St. Maarten.

Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and other jewels for what makes a quality stone or setting. Check prices online. Run down to your local jeweler before you leave and look at the items that you may be interested in buying. Learn all that you can about the pieces. Check what their price is with what might be advertised as 50% off and the "we pay the sales tax" sales. Remember, no sales tax down island -- that by itself would save well over $100 on a $1500 purchase here in California.

When you get to SXM, visit the shops and price the items you checked out at home. Compare prices along Frontstreet, the service from the various shops, and how comfortable you feel with the sales staff.

All regular SXM visitors will have their favorite jewelers, and I will add here that after visiting the island for 30+ years (we started young), we have three trusted jewelers along Frontstreet, Shiva's for top-end, Ballerina for middle to top, and Ocean for lower end, but very nice pieces.

We shop with each of them on every visit.

Shiva’s 75 Front Street:

th_DSCN1658.jpg

(click)

We have been dealing with the Alwani family, which owns both Shiva's and Trident, across from each other on Front Street, for over 23 years. We appreciate their attention, their selection and the great prices. They really specialize in upscale pieces and larger diamonds, but have a great overall selection, and they have the distinction of operating two of only three Caribbean shops recognized by the “Leading Jewelers of the World” organization. They also carry a fine lineup of watches, from $20 Casio to $500,000 Richard Milles. The family tells me that they carry a $23 – 30 Million diamond inventory.

Ballerina 56 Front Street :

th_DSCN1496.jpg

We’ve been dealing with Ballerina for probably 12 years. Besides diamonds, they offer some really nice designer pieces (non-diamond) that we’ve purchased in the past. Ballerina also carries fine watches and has a shop at the Cruise Facility.

Ocean Jewelers 36A Frontstreet:

th_DSCN1516.jpg

Ocean has been on our list since shortly after one of the current Ocean partners (DJ) spun off from Shiva’s some five years ago or so. They also have great prices on liquor, offered in connection with the Friendly Liquor Store, also on Frontstreet.

I tell friends and acquaintances that are visiting St. Maarten to know what they’re looking for, really do their homework and visit my three guys and as many other shops as they feel they have time to visit. (Visit the others first.)

With my guys, tell them that I referred you and you’re on a cruise ship with limited time, so need their best price first. Be prepared to walk away if the price is not what you want after one polite “Can you do just a bit better?” request.

Remember that you don’t really need that bauble, even though you might really want it.

Happy shopping.

gary

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

AMEN! I am currently in a battle over a set of VERY expensive earrings bought very recently. I have used this store before...my oh my how times have changed.

Diamond Jewellers for me in Front Street - A small honest family business

Trusting: Bought a 6C Bracelet for my Wife but the card would not go through because of a line fault in the USA, they just said "take it home and when you get back to the UK just transfer the funds".

If you want ideas of prices here are some sites are interactive where you can change the size/quality of stones/s (etc) and obtain a price indcation.

http://www.diamondsinternational.com

http://www.heartsonfire.com

http://www.colombianemeralds.com

http://shop.littleswitzerland.com/

Good luck

:)grand jewelers. have been buying from them for 15 years. Micky @ Grand in St. Martin, Navin at Grand in St. Thomas. They are brothers. Very small storefronts, but oh what they have! Quality at its finest. Great prices. Have fun!

Just remember that places like DI and Columbian Emeralds, are in ka-hoots with the cruse lines. The cruise's shopping assistant gets paid BY THE STORE!!

Do you really think that she(he) is truly interested in getting you a good deal?

A friend of ours is a GIA appraiser. She says she sees people all the time coming home from the Caribbean with jewelry that isn't what they thought it was. If you don't mind the possibility of being ripped off, go ahead, there are plenty of reputable places, but there are more that aren't. As was said "do you feel lucky?"

Just remember that places like DI and Columbian Emeralds, are in ka-hoots with the cruse lines. The cruise's shopping assistant gets paid BY THE STORE!!

Do you really think that she(he) is truly interested in getting you a good deal?

A friend of ours is a GIA appraiser. She says she sees people all the time coming home from the Caribbean with jewelry that isn't what they thought it was. If you don't mind the possibility of being ripped off, go ahead, there are plenty of reputable places, but there are more that aren't. As was said "do you feel lucky?"

Ok I get it.....you dont want people to buy jewelry in the Caribbean..GEEZ!!!

I don't care if people but jewelry in the Caribbean, it's your money, do are free to purchase anything you please. BUT all these threads telling uninformed folk to buy at place A or place B without a single word of caution is a disservice.

I am just trying to interject that cautionary word.......GEEZ!

I don't care if people but jewelry in the Caribbean, it's your money, do are free to purchase anything you please. BUT all these threads telling uninformed folk to buy at place A or place B without a single word of caution is a disservice.

LOL Carole. We have witnessed many cruisers (seems to be primarily female) who leave their thinking caps (and good judgment) at home. For some reason they go crazy in the Caribbean jewelry stores and telling them they are often getting "ripped off" seems to do little good. In fact, many of these ladies listen to the shopping lectures onboard and seem to be oblivious that the recommended stores are only recommended because they pay a fee to the company that employs the shopping lecturer and sometimes even pays fees to the cruise lines. Years ago when Cruise Directors often did the port shopping lectures the stores often took "very good care" of those CDs. But these days its often a huge business venture where cruise lines utilize private companies that make their income by "recommending" stores.

Perhaps someday these folks will start to realize that certain "recommended" stores such as Diamonds International, Tanzanite International, Fools International, etc etc only seem to have offices in places visited by cruise ships. Do you think there is a reason these places cannot seem to operate in non-port cities? Nah! Must just be a coincidence :)

Hank

I am not asking you to inform me about the dangers of purchasing jewelry in the Caribbean! I'm merely asking where others have shopped, did they like the experience, was there good customer service? I am not asking for your cautionary word, so if you don't have a jewelry store to recommend please don't comment on this thread.

Archived