Cruise Critic Community
Scrapnana

Making a blog?

I love reading cruise blogs and would like to do one myself but haven't a clue how. Is it difficult to do? How much computer know-how must you have? Do you have to set up your own website? I'm sure there are many other questions that I don't know enough about the subject to ask. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Scrapnana,

You can sign up for a free blog at blogger.com or wordpress.com for a free blog..

We created ours at blogger.com and there are sample templates to guid u along.. :)

Hi Scrapnana,

You can sign up for a free blog at blogger.com or wordpress.com for a free blog..

We created ours at blogger.com and there are sample templates to guid u along.. :)

Thanks! I hope their instructions are designed for total beginners. I will try both sites.

Hi Scrapnana,

it shouldn't be too difficult..there are default templates to start with u with..

You can drop me a pm if u need help! :)

Hi Scrapnana,

it shouldn't be too difficult..there are default templates to start with u with..

You can drop me a pm if u need help! :)

Thank you! That was very easy and I liked the templates. I have set one up but have not put any posts on it yet. I hope they will be as simple as setting it up!

Hi! I have found blogger to be super easy. Check out my blog in my signature and leave me a comment so I can see you blog!

Like anything else it just takes time to practice and each time you do the blog you get better and better.

Keith

Thanks to everyone for the help in starting a blog. I actually made my first entry the other day. But now I am wondering.... I followed the HAL cruisers on the Amsterdam World Voyage this year. Some of them used sites like blogger and wordpress, some had a website and the posts appeared in Adobe reader, and some put their posts here on Cruise Critic. Does one of these methods have a clear advantage (or disadvantage) over the others? Are there certain benefits to be had by using a certain one? And for those of you who have used one (or more) of these what were your experiences (the good, the bad, and the ugly)?

Thanks for helping me along!

Kathi

Kathi, it comes down to preference.

I happen to use Blogger. Some prefer Word Press.

Keith

Yeah.. Keith is right.

I use blogger as well.. But it's all down to preference.. :)

I tried working on my blog tonight (blogspot). I had attached a photo of the route of my trip. Had difficulty sizing the picture and when I published it the picture totally disappeared. Some how I finally found a way to edit it (I deleted the whole thing). By then it was 1 a.m. and I was tired of messing with it. I am trying to do the blog on my iPad as that is what I will use on the cruise. I only have 8 months to figure this out.:eek::eek::eek:

Any suggestions about sizing the picture? Is there some way I can size it before the transfer to blogspot? Is there a "Blogging for Dummies" book? (Although I may not know enough to even qualify as a dummy.)

For resizing pictures I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Not sure if you have that program? I right click on the photo, click on Open With => Microsoft Picture Manager. I then click on "Picture" =>Compress Pictures and then put the green dot in Compress for Documents (I find that that size works best for my needs)

Hope this helps.

Keep playing with Blogger. Once you get the hang of it it is very easy to use. What I did was to create a "Test Blog" I set it as private and I use it to play with. I try out anything new on that blog, so that i don't mess up my proper blog!

If you'd like to look at my travel blog click here

For resizing pictures I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Not sure if you have that program? I right click on the photo, click on Open With => Microsoft Picture Manager. I then click on "Picture" =>Compress Pictures and then put the green dot in Compress for Documents (I find that that size works best for my needs)

Hope this helps.

Keep playing with Blogger. Once you get the hang of it it is very easy to use. What I did was to create a "Test Blog" I set it as private and I use it to play with. I try out anything new on that blog, so that i don't mess up my proper blog!

Thanks for your suggestions. I enjoyed looking at your blog.

Hope this helps.

Really liked your blog. Thanks for the info on MS Picture Manager. Didn't even know I had been using this. Duh. So much sharing on this board. I am thinking of doing a blog, not about traveling, but info I have needed and hadn't tried to find yet will help me get it built for sharing.

Really liked your blog. Thanks for the info on MS Picture Manager. Didn't even know I had been using this. Duh. So much sharing on this board. I am thinking of doing a blog, not about traveling, but info I have needed and hadn't tried to find yet will help me get it built for sharing.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the blog Peachie100. I LOVE creating the blogs and find that it is the best way to remember a holiday. I often go back and read through the blogs of our various vacations and it brings back so many happy memories :)

I am also a first time blogger in preparation for our upcoming World Cruise. Reviewed Blogger, Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org

Quickly eliminated the latter as prefer not to delve into HTML coding to that degree. Finally settled on Wordpress only because it seems more stable than Google. Google are constantly changing their products.

Would appreciate comments on our blog, which is constantly evolving, as I learn new features.

Click here to check it out

Travelpod, Blogger or Wordpress?

Having created my first and only blog using Travelpod during our 2014 4 month around the world cruise, I am now open to other/better blogging options for our next long voyage. Although I know comparisons had been made in much older posts, I would appreciate your opinions based on experiences during the past year. (Hardware, software, and operating system changes are so rapid!)

Although I was very pleased with much about Travelpod, my biggest problem was the need to assemble my posts online. I would write my entire text offline and could easily copy and paste that part. But every photo had to be uploaded, then captioned, and then inserted into its appropriate place in the blog while online. None of this could be done offline. Since I like to include anywhere from 15 to 25 photos in every port blog, these would sometime take 20 or more minutes of online time, a very expensive endeavor. Perhaps I didn't understand some critical Travelpod mechanics; if so, I would love to know how to put together the entire product and then just upload the finished blog.

Assuming that is not possible, can you let me know which of these other 2 blog -creating sites would give me that capability. Or maybe another one I don't know of? To be even pickier, I would like to:

1. Have the photos within the text, not attached in bulk at the end.

2. Have the ability to keep it private, with access only to those I invite.

3. Have some sort of mapping aspect that keeps track of our journey.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!

I used blogger and had to insert photos much like you. I would write the blog offline, go online and paste it and then have to add the photos. I would love to know if there was something easier.

BTW, which World Voyage were you on?

We had a wonderful 4 month around-the-world journey on Holland America's Amsterdam.

A little bit of further information I have obtained: Travelpod is outstanding in replying to email requests for help. I have now discovered how to not only create the text of my blog offline, but also accumulate and caption all of the photos for the blog also while offline. This can only be done via the Ipad app. Then, once I log in online, it all gets uploaded. The only thing I still have to tackle online is placing each photo into my preferred location within the blog. This apparently can only be done while online and using my laptop, not Ipad. Seems there should be a better way, but WOW, this cuts out probably 50% of the access time I was paying for!

Still would appreciate hearing any new/better options anyone can suggest.

Happy sailing-

I see blogger and wordpress have been mentioned but has anyone used http://website.1and1.co.uk? I'm just trying to decide which is best/most user friendly? I'm not the most techy savvy so something that is simple to use would be best.

I see blogger and wordpress have been mentioned but has anyone used http://website.1and1.co.uk? I'm just trying to decide which is best/most user friendly? I'm not the most techy savvy so something that is simple to use would be best.

I've just started mine, and blogger is incredibly easy to use, i have NO knowledge of computers/web design and i've had no problems

Its been nice to read how others are approaching writing their blogs. My preference is Wordpress which you can write, upload & position photos all while off line. It even deals with resizing the images so they are not huge when trying to upload.