Alesund some advice please

Gotta post this clip of Alesund, it's new to me

This is a very good video. Thank you for posting.

I love the view over the mountains (or the alps)

They are the view I have from my house. I also see all the way out into the ocean with the Sugar loaf/top mountain to the right......

I just thought of something else to do while in Ålesund.

This tour requires your ship to be in port for more than 12 hours.

Its possible to take the Hurtigruten (http://www.hurtigruten.us/) ships from Ålesund to Geiranger. From Geiranger join the bus tour to Ålesund.

The Hurtigruten departs 930am and you will arrive back in Ålesund at 6pm.

This will allow you to cruise the stunning Storfjord and Geirangerfjord with all its waterfalls and do the overland tour back to town.

Its also possible to do the hurtigruten ship round trip Ålesund - Geiranger - Ålesund.

Hurtigruten departs Ålesund daily at 930am. Arrives Geiranger 1:25pm.

Depaarts Geiranger 1:45pm. Arrives Ålesund at 6pm.

These tours would be perfect if your ship does not visit Geiranger.

it will give you a superb opportunity to see the fjords the way it is suppose to be seen; by sea:-)

Edited by I-Cruiser

It looks quite a distance away from Alesund,

I'm tempted to try it,but the Ship departs early evening (no time given as yet).

Any delays in the itinery and I'll miss the Boat :(

However I'll be quite content with the trip to Pulpit Rock and a look around Alesund. :)

I suppose if you've visited before,you might want to do this excursion.

Anyone interested ?

M%C3%B8re_og_Romsdal-Geiranger_fjord-Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by.png

Please excuse me for jumping in, but I saw that Lars has contributed to this posting, and I owe him an enormous thank you!

Lars, you gave us some advice in 2011 that resulted in one of our most memorable and wonderful travel days ever. We visited Alesund on the HAL Eurodam, and we were flirting with the idea of renting a car and driving out into the countryside. You encouraged us to do that, and even plotted out a route for us which included three ferries (complete with links to the ferry schedules), the Geirangerfjord and the Troll Road. Our day was nothing short of spectacular and it's a day we'll never forget. We would have never done it without your advice and encouragement. I looked for you on Cruise Critic when we returned but you seemed to be taking a break. Anyhow....hope you're reading this now because we are very grateful for your help. A belated but huge thanks from us to you!

:) Thank you very much - this is so very kind of you.

I am thrilled you had such a memorable day and I am happy I could help working out the itinerary for your day.

Lars - we will be in Alesund in September, can you share the details about renting a car?

Also - if we don't plan anything, is there lots to see just wandering around town to shops?

Thank you in advance! :)

Lars - we will be in Alesund in September, can you share the details about renting a car?

Also - if we don't plan anything, is there lots to see just wandering around town to shops?

Thank you in advance! :)

Hi:) All the major car rental firms are represented in Ålesund. Not all of them are within walking distance from the port but I believe they all deliver the cars at the port area.

One of the companies within a 5 minutes walk from the port is Avis.

Its situated at the street Nedre Strandgate. You reach Avis by taking to the left when you get out of the port area. Pass Qualiy Hotel Waterfront to your left and continue walking straight ahead. Avis is opposite the grocerystore "Rema 1000" and next to a petrol station/ 7-11 shop.

Yes, there are lots to see walking around Ålesund. I suppose this entire thread is dedicated to what to do in town;)

Highlights are walking or taking the tourist train to Mt. Aksla for the wonderful views.

Walking around and look at the Art Nouveau architecture.

Visit the Jugend Museum.

Walk the Apotekergata and look at the small art shops. Stop at the lighthouse for a different view of Ålesund.

Have your picture taken at Brosundet (The bridge)

Have an overpriced lunch or coffee at Cafe Invit:)

By September fall has arrived and remember to dress i layers. It can be cold and wet.

If you have more questions I will try to answer them:)

Please excuse me for jumping in, but I saw that Lars has contributed to this posting, and I owe him an enormous thank you!

Lars, you gave us some advice in 2011 that resulted in one of our most memorable and wonderful travel days ever. We visited Alesund on the HAL Eurodam, and we were flirting with the idea of renting a car and driving out into the countryside. You encouraged us to do that, and even plotted out a route for us which included three ferries (complete with links to the ferry schedules), the Geirangerfjord and the Troll Road. Our day was nothing short of spectacular and it's a day we'll never forget. We would have never done it without your advice and encouragement. I looked for you on Cruise Critic when we returned but you seemed to be taking a break. Anyhow....hope you're reading this now because we are very grateful for your help. A belated but huge thanks from us to you!

Would it be possible to get a copy of this itinerary? We will be in Alesund in May and Geirangerfjord is not a port on our cruise, so we'd like to rent a car and do the drive/ferry thing so that we can see it.

Hi:) All the major car rental firms are represented in Ålesund. Not all of them are within walking distance from the port but I believe they all deliver the cars at the port area.

One of the companies within a 5 minutes walk from the port is Avis.

Its situated at the street Nedre Strandgate. You reach Avis by taking to the left when you get out of the port area. Pass Qualiy Hotel Waterfront to your left and continue walking straight ahead. Avis is opposite the grocerystore "Rema 1000" and next to a petrol station/ 7-11 shop.

Yes, there are lots to see walking around Ålesund. I suppose this entire thread is dedicated to what to do in town;)

Highlights are walking or taking the tourist train to Mt. Aksla for the wonderful views.

Walking around and look at the Art Nouveau architecture.

Visit the Jugend Museum.

Walk the Apotekergata and look at the small art shops. Stop at the lighthouse for a different view of Ålesund.

Have your picture taken at Brosundet (The bridge)

Have an overpriced lunch or coffee at Cafe Invit:)

By September fall has arrived and remember to dress i layers. It can be cold and wet.

If you have more questions I will try to answer them:)

Thank you! I appreciate it! I think we will walk around, can we walk to Mt. Aksla? We don't mind the 400 steps (as long as I'm not pregnant by then :D )

Thank you! I appreciate it! I think we will walk around, can we walk to Mt. Aksla? We don't mind the 400 steps (as long as I'm not pregnant by then :D )

No worries:) Yes, you can easily walk up to Aksla.

Just take your time and enjoy the views.

Would it be possible to get a copy of this itinerary? We will be in Alesund in May and Geirangerfjord is not a port on our cruise, so we'd like to rent a car and do the drive/ferry thing so that we can see it.

I think its posted somewhere here in this thread:o

I guess you will have your Easter time cut out for you:)

No worries:) Yes, you can easily walk up to Aksla.

Just take your time and enjoy the views.

Thank you! Do you by chance know of what to do in these ports?

Bergen, Norway

Stavanger, Norway

Oslo, Norway

Will all of these be similar - just walking around & exploring?

Thank you! Do you by chance know of what to do in these ports?

Bergen, Norway

Stavanger, Norway

Oslo, Norway

Will all of these be similar - just walking around & exploring?

I could but then this thread will go off topic since its a "Ålesund thread";)

I will suggest you make 3 different threads asking what to do in Oslo, Stavanger and Bergen:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

I think its posted somewhere here in this thread:o

I guess you will have your Easter time cut out for you:)

Found it in this thread from 2011:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350812

But unfortunately it doesn't look like it will work for us. We are only in port from 8-5 and with the less frequent ferry schedule in May, I think the timing will be too tight.

Found it in this thread from 2011:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350812

But unfortunately it doesn't look like it will work for us. We are only in port from 8-5 and with the less frequent ferry schedule in May, I think the timing will be too tight.

Sorry, I thought I copied a link to the thread but it seems like I forgot.

I am glad you found the thread "what to do in Ålesund" and posted a link to it here.

Yes, 8-5 might be cutting it to short. Even if you drove the "short" way to Geiranger it will take you 2 hours going and 2 hours back. I think you would get 1 hour or so in Geiranger before you have to drive back to port.

If you started at 9am you will be in Geiranger at approx 11am. To make it back to the port for 3pm (to deliver car etc) you would have to leave Geiranger at 1pm the latest!

What is your next port??? If it is in Olden, Flaam etc you could do an overnight a drive and overnight stay at a hotel....

Edited by I-Cruiser

What's the best Day to visit Alesund ?

Is there one day more busiest than others ?

Do all the shops close on a Sunday ?

And what will it be like on . . . . . . say a Thursday ? :rolleyes:

Everyday is fine except Sundays when all the shops are closed and only a few cafes are open.

Sorry, I thought I copied a link to the thread but it seems like I forgot.

I am glad you found the thread "what to do in Ålesund" and posted a link to it here.

Yes, 8-5 might be cutting it to short. Even if you drove the "short" way to Geiranger it will take you 2 hours going and 2 hours back. I think you would get 1 hour or so in Geiranger before you have to drive back to port.

If you started at 9am you will be in Geiranger at approx 11am. To make it back to the port for 3pm (to deliver car etc) you would have to leave Geiranger at 1pm the latest!

What is your next port??? If it is in Olden, Flaam etc you could do an overnight a drive and overnight stay at a hotel....

We will also be in Alesund from 8 - 5 on May 8th. The previous day we are in Geiranger and will do the HOHO bus tour to the viewpoints at Eaglesbend and Flydalscanyon, and the Geirangerfjord Cruise on the MS Geirangerfjord.

I have already rented a car from Budget in Alesund. We had hoped to drive the Trollstigen but perhaps it will not be open yet , according to what you posted earlier. What is the "short" route from Alesund to Gereinger? If we have already been to Geiranger would we need to drive the whole route?

If we choose to go to Runde I could cancel the car reservation in Alesund and reserve a car from Avis in Hareid.

After one arrives in Runde, how do you get to the bird island where the puffins are? You mentioned that it is a 30 minute walk. Are there signs or does one have to know the route. Can you give exact directions? Because time is short, we would need to know exactly where to go on Runde to see the puffins.

Thank you for all your great information!:)

Pat

We will also be in Alesund from 8 - 5 on May 8th. The previous day we are in Geiranger and will do the HOHO bus tour to the viewpoints at Eaglesbend and Flydalscanyon, and the Geirangerfjord Cruise on the MS Geirangerfjord.

I have already rented a car from Budget in Alesund. We had hoped to drive the Trollstigen but perhaps it will not be open yet , according to what you posted earlier. What is the "short" route from Alesund to Gereinger? If we have already been to Geiranger would we need to drive the whole route?

If we choose to go to Runde I could cancel the car reservation in Alesund and reserve a car from Avis in Hareid.

After one arrives in Runde, how do you get to the bird island where the puffins are? You mentioned that it is a 30 minute walk. Are there signs or does one have to know the route. Can you give exact directions? Because time is short, we would need to know exactly where to go on Runde to see the puffins.

Thank you for all your great information!:)

Pat

Hi Pat:)

If you already have been to Geiranger there is no need to go again with a car.

From what I can see Trollstigen will not open before the end of May this year.

The fast route to Geiranger is actually the same road you take when going to Trollstigen via Valldal.

I tried to make a point map but not sure if it works.

http://http://kart.gulesider.no/?_s_ref=IT91dJ53S&kw=%2Bkj%C3%B8rerute&creative=9413262724&s_kwcid=TC|21491|%2Bkj%C3%B8rerute||S|b|9413262724&gclid=CJa0sMz2qLYCFc94cAodnTMAgw

PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS POST!!

HERE IS MY ANSWER:

The fjord you are sailing in and out of to/from Geiranger are the same as where the road is both to Geiranger and Trollstigen via Valldal.

So there would not really be a point in doing the same drive the day after.

From what I can find out Trollstigen will not open before the end of May this year. I think work is starting to clear the road is starting just after Easter.

It will all depend on the weather conditions.

I think your best bet would be to go to Runde.

But would you have time to go to Runde and see the Puffins and be back in town for 4pm?? 1 hour before your ship leaves??

The boat (Hurtigbåten) from Ålesund to Hareid leaves at 0855am and arrives Hareid at 0925am.

The boat you need to take back to Ålesund leaves Hareid at 230pm arriving Ålesund at 3pm.

There is a boat at 4pm arriving Ålesund at 430 pm but thats very late to make it back to the ship.

Here is a link to the schedule:

http://www.norled.no/uploads/documents/HurtigbaatRuter/More_2013/Hareid_Valderoy_Alesund_endring_5-april_v2.pdf

I think the drive from Hareid to Runde take approx 1 hour each directions. I suppose you would want to stop for photos as well.

Say you get your car and set off at 10am you will be in Runde at approx 11am-1130am.....

The walk to the Puffins takes 30-45 minutes each directions. (Thats 1-1,5 hours) You will spend 1 hour at the mountain watching the birds.

So by the time you are ready to leave Runde its already almost 2pm!!

I think its cutting it way short.

You can go to Runde but I would not recommend you to climb the mountain to see the puffins.

By not doing the Puffins you will have more time to enjoy the scenery and your day.

I-Cruiser, thanks so much for answering so many questions about the area where you live. When we cruise, we often prefer private tours rather than ship's tours. Are there private tour operators at the pier when ships arrive? Is there a tourist office there, where one can book a private tour? Thanks, again.

I-Cruiser, thanks so much for answering so many questions about the area where you live. When we cruise, we often prefer private tours rather than ship's tours. Are there private tour operators at the pier when ships arrive? Is there a tourist office there, where one can book a private tour? Thanks, again.

Beth - You`re welcome. I am glad to be of help.

We also prefer private tours when we cruise. It makes it more personal and more educational being in a small group opposed to a large bus.

There are no tour operators at the port in Ålesund. The only company which does tours are a taxi company.

Link: http://www.alesund-taxi.no/en-GB/Sightseeing.aspx

Or you could contact them at: booking@taxiformidling.no or taxi@alesund-taxi.no

There is another taxi company which you can contact at:

post@07012.no

I am not sure if the latter does tours but its worth a try.

Ålesund do have a Tourist Information office.

Its located at Skateflukaia a 5 minutes walk from where your ship docks.

How to find it: Pass the town hall (Rådhus)/Theater/ Hotel Atlantica....cross the road "Notenesgate"...at the traffic lights follow the road by the canal until you arrive at Skateflua. At Skateflua there is a kiosk and bus/taxi stop.

To email them regarding tours, guides etc they can be contacted using this address:

info@visitalesund.com

In Geiranger there is a private tour company if you are interested:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/Product/?TLp=381478

It looks like their web site is hacked but they can be reached at:

info@geirangertaxi.no

I hope this hellps a little.

If you have more questions let me know:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS POST!!

HERE IS MY ANSWER:

The fjord you are sailing in and out of to/from Geiranger are the same as where the road is both to Geiranger and Trollstigen via Valldal.

So there would not really be a point in doing the same drive the day after.

From what I can find out Trollstigen will not open before the end of May this year. I think work is starting to clear the road is starting just after Easter.

It will all depend on the weather conditions.

I think your best bet would be to go to Runde.

But would you have time to go to Runde and see the Puffins and be back in town for 4pm?? 1 hour before your ship leaves??

The boat (Hurtigbåten) from Ålesund to Hareid leaves at 0855am and arrives Hareid at 0925am.

The boat you need to take back to Ålesund leaves Hareid at 230pm arriving Ålesund at 3pm.

There is a boat at 4pm arriving Ålesund at 430 pm but thats very late to make it back to the ship.

Here is a link to the schedule:

http://www.norled.no/uploads/documents/HurtigbaatRuter/More_2013/Hareid_Valderoy_Alesund_endring_5-april_v2.pdf

I think the drive from Hareid to Runde take approx 1 hour each directions. I suppose you would want to stop for photos as well.

Say you get your car and set off at 10am you will be in Runde at approx 11am-1130am.....

The walk to the Puffins takes 30-45 minutes each directions. (Thats 1-1,5 hours) You will spend 1 hour at the mountain watching the birds.

So by the time you are ready to leave Runde its already almost 2pm!!

I think its cutting it way short.

You can go to Runde but I would not recommend you to climb the mountain to see the puffins.

By not doing the Puffins you will have more time to enjoy the scenery and your day.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)I have learned so much from reading all your posts.

Pat

If anyone has their heart set on seeing puffins, it's doable from Alesund by open RIB-boat, that can be rented along the canal close to the Tourist Information Office. However, this is best done in ideal weather conditions, as it can get quite rough, cold, and probably wet as you cross to the Island.

On our visit to Alesund last year, 10 roll call members did this 2 hour wildlife sea safari trip, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but we were in port later in the day. They did not book in advance; they just waited until we got there, gathered a group, and bartered with a gentleman at the dock. If I recall correctly they paid $75 each.

Although I missed seeing these beautiful oranged beaked birds in Alesund, we were fortunate to see them in Iceland.

If anyone is stopping over in Iceland, a boat trip to see thousands of these (puffins) gorgeous and graceful birds as they swim and fly around close to the boat is a must and highly recommended. No need to book in advance either. Go down to the docks around 9:30 a.m. and you'll have your choice of booking a puffin or whalewatching tour. I think we paid about $40 pp for the puffin tour in Iceland. The boats were much more comfortable and since there were only 6 of us on board we were all able to take turns right at the bow of the boat or either side to enjoy the birds and scenery.

Liz

If anyone has their heart set on seeing puffins, it's doable from Alesund by open RIB-boat, that can be rented along the canal close to the Tourist Information Office. However, this is best done in ideal weather conditions, as it can get quite rough, cold, and probably wet as you cross to the Island.

On our visit to Alesund last year, 10 roll call members did this 2 hour wildlife sea safari trip, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but we were in port later in the day. They did not book in advance; they just waited until we got there, gathered a group, and bartered with a gentleman at the dock. If I recall correctly they paid $75 each.

Although I missed seeing these beautiful oranged beaked birds in Alesund, we were fortunate to see them in Iceland.

If anyone is stopping over in Iceland, a boat trip to see thousands of these (puffins) gorgeous and graceful birds as they swim and fly around close to the boat is a must and highly recommended. No need to book in advance either. Go down to the docks around 9:30 a.m. and you'll have your choice of booking a puffin or whalewatching tour. I think we paid about $40 pp for the puffin tour in Iceland. The boats were much more comfortable and since there were only 6 of us on board we were all able to take turns right at the bow of the boat or either side to enjoy the birds and scenery.

Liz

That would be fun. However the "62 Nord" tours dont start before June 24 and ends August 18.

The RIB safari departs at 12noon and 6pm. It takes 2 hours and costs NOK 795 pp. Weather permitting.