Alesund some advice please

Its quite nice to know there's somewhere else where the weather is as changeable as it is here in England!! We shall come to Norway well prepared as we do here too. :D

You know it very well :) I used to live in London for five years so from a weather standpoint I felt very at home :D

For those who doesn't know what we are talking about.

Dress in layers and always bring a lightweight windbreaker.

Edited by I-Cruiser

You know it very well :) I used to live in London for five years so from a weather standpoint I felt very at home :D

For those who doesn't know what we are talking about.

Dress in layers and always bring a lightweight windbreaker.

We live 30 miles east of London near to where the River Thames joins the North Sea. We have snow forecast for either tonight or tomorrow. :eek:

I-Cruiser, can you please tell me if its easy to find the steps that lead from the town up to Mt Aksla and the viewpoint.

We live 30 miles east of London near to where the River Thames joins the North Sea. We have snow forecast for either tonight or tomorrow. :eek:

I-Cruiser, can you please tell me if its easy to find the steps that lead from the town up to Mt Aksla and the viewpoint.

Stay warm. We have been lucky today and had sunny weather all day:) Also, one of the first cruise ships of the season docked in town today.

Its very easy to find the steps.

The steps starts at Byparken (the City Park) which is just pass the Rica Parken Hotel.

From the ship walk to the big traffic lights.

Continue straight ahead towards Kippervik gata. (you should walk towards and pass a petrol station on your right)

The road will than split in 2 - take the road to your left (kippervik gate!! the other street is called Kaiser William gate)

Walk a few minutes until you find Storgata to your left.

Storgata begins where McDonnals are. On the other side of the road there is a jewelry store.

Walk Storgata up (its a small hill) all the way until you have Rica Parken Hotel on your right side.

When you reach the hotel - just before - take the first road to your right. Its called Liahaugen.

The City Park is at the end of the road

From the ship to Byparken and the steps it will take you no more than 10-15 minutes to walk.

I will post a link with a map of Ålesund.

You will easily see where you dock (storneskaia) and Rica Parken Hotel.

When you open the link hit the button called "kart" (Map) its on the right side of the picture

http://www.radissonblu.no/hotell-alesund/beliggenhet/aksla-alesund

I hope this helps.

Lars:-)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Yes, the "bytoget" or train stops at Aksla and Fjellstua (Fjellstua is the name of the restaurant and its also the name of the viewpoint.)

The train stops at Fjellstua for 10 minutes.

The train is cash only and according to the website they take NOK, €, US$ and British £.

Link to the website:

http://www.bytoget.no/home.html

Live webcam of Ålesund from Fjellstua:

http://kamera.smp.no/services/kamera/

Edited by I-Cruiser

Wonderful pictures and reviews. Thank you. I am waiting for the 2014 itineries.

Some RCCL (Indy and Adventure) and Celebrity (Infinity and Eclipse) cruises are already posted on the "house of the eskimos" cruises web site;)

Yes, the "bytoget" or train stops at Aksla and Fjellstua (Fjellstua is the name of the restaurant and its also the name of the viewpoint.)

The train stops at Fjellstua for 10 minutes.

The train is cash only and according to the website they take NOK, €, US$ and British £.

Link to the website:

http://www.bytoget.no/home.html

Live webcam of Ålesund from Fjellstua:

http://kamera.smp.no/services/kamera/

The website shows also that the train does not start until 10 June and we shall be there on Sunday 26 May so I think we shall have to go up all the steps to get the wonderful view from the top of Mt Aksla.

Please excuse me for jumping in, but I saw that Lars has contributed to this posting, and I owe him an enormous thank you!

Lars, you gave us some advice in 2011 that resulted in one of our most memorable and wonderful travel days ever. We visited Alesund on the HAL Eurodam, and we were flirting with the idea of renting a car and driving out into the countryside. You encouraged us to do that, and even plotted out a route for us which included three ferries (complete with links to the ferry schedules), the Geirangerfjord and the Troll Road. Our day was nothing short of spectacular and it's a day we'll never forget. We would have never done it without your advice and encouragement. I looked for you on Cruise Critic when we returned but you seemed to be taking a break. Anyhow....hope you're reading this now because we are very grateful for your help. A belated but huge thanks from us to you!

The website shows also that the train does not start until 10 June and we shall be there on Sunday 26 May so I think we shall have to go up all the steps to get the wonderful view from the top of Mt Aksla.

The tourist train is open for all cruise ship calls.....we are booked May 20 with them.

If you get a group together,they give a discount....we have over twenty booked from our roll call....pay on the day.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Please excuse me for jumping in, but I saw that Lars has contributed to this posting, and I owe him an enormous thank you!

Lars, you gave us some advice in 2011 that resulted in one of our most memorable and wonderful travel days ever. We visited Alesund on the HAL Eurodam, and we were flirting with the idea of renting a car and driving out into the countryside. You encouraged us to do that, and even plotted out a route for us which included three ferries (complete with links to the ferry schedules), the Geirangerfjord and the Troll Road. Our day was nothing short of spectacular and it's a day we'll never forget. We would have never done it without your advice and encouragement. I looked for you on Cruise Critic when we returned but you seemed to be taking a break. Anyhow....hope you're reading this now because we are very grateful for your help. A belated but huge thanks from us to you!

:) Thank you very much - this is so very kind of you.

I am thrilled you had such a memorable day and I am happy I could help working out the itinerary for your day.

With the Cruise Ships docking close to the town centre do many people return to the Ship at lunchtime then go out again ?

Never considered this one before but it seems a logical thing to do, after hearing about how expensive Norway is.

Surely the Cafe's and Market stalls are reasonalby priced.

(Liked this thread some Good advice given :))

With the Cruise Ships docking close to the town centre do many people return to the Ship at lunchtime then go out again ? Never considered this one before but it seems a logical thing to do, after hearing about how expensive Norway is. Surely the Cafe's and Market stalls are reasonalby priced. (Liked this thread some Good advice given :))

Yes, where our ship (and most others) dock is very handy and close to the main part of Alesund. See picture below. If you are just doing some things in and around this main part of town, it would be easy to walk back to the ship, have lunch, a little R&R, then go back into the town area for the afternoon.

Reactions? Other questions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,282 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a view of the main ship docking area in Alesund showing how close it is the main downtown area. You are "right there" as you step off of your ship. Very handy and easy!

AlesundDockingClose2Downtown_zps9ce3dc73.jpg

Yes, where our ship (and most others) dock is very handy and close to the main part of Alesund. See picture below. If you are just doing some things in and around this main part of town, it would be easy to walk back to the ship, have lunch, a little R&R, then go back into the town area for the afternoon.

Reactions? Other questions??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,282 views.

Here is a view of the main ship docking area in Alesund showing how close it is the main downtown area. You are "right there" as you step off of your ship. Very handy and easy!

AlesundDockingClose2Downtown_zps9ce3dc73.jpg

Where the Silversea ship is docked there is a new pier.

The pier starts from the front of the Silversea ship and sticks out to almost the black building to the left in the picture.

The pier was finished last year. There is also a new terminal building.

Also, the larger "skyscraper" style buidling which is the town hall has now gotten a new facade. It looks so much better than before.

Where the last or third ship is docked there is a new hotel. It looks stunning and mixes old ship/fishing wharf with new design.

There are some nice places to eat or just to have a coffee along Brosundet (the canal)

The outside area of "Anno" and "invit" are wonderful places to sit and have a coffee.

I would suppose most passengers staying in town goes back to the ship for lunch.

A lunch could easily set you back NOK 200 pr. person.

Where the Silversea ship is docked there is a new pier. The pier starts from the front of the Silversea ship and sticks out to almost the black building to the left in the picture. The pier was finished last year. There is also a new terminal building. Also, the larger "skyscraper" style buidling which is the town hall has now gotten a new facade. It looks so much better than before. Where the last or third ship is docked there is a new hotel. It looks stunning and mixes old ship/fishing wharf with new design. There are some nice places to eat or just to have a coffee along Brosundet (the canal). The outside area of "Anno" and "invit" are wonderful places to sit and have a coffee. I would suppose most passengers staying in town goes back to the ship for lunch. A lunch could easily set you back NOK 200 pr. person.

Appreciate the excellent updates from our Norway friend. Glad that things are progressing well and improvements being made in this charming and scenic town of Alesund. We really enjoyed our time there in and around this community.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,468 views.

Looks a great place to have Coffee and stroll. What month did you take your photos Terry ?,looks like you had pretty Good weather. Below is a photo of the extended jetty.

Appreciate, Jules, your update and more current picture from Alesund. WOW!! Those are big improvements in that harbor and for their downtown. Interesting older picture from I-Cruiser.

Yes, we had great weather that day in this wonderful town. Plus, for our whole trip. Our experienced Captain shared with us during a bridge tour that on average, July is the best month to see this part of Norway. It was July 4, Sunday, 8 am-5 pm, 2010, when we were there in this port.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,468 views.

Oh, yes, the lovely weather:D

We only moved back to my native Norway 4 years ago and so far we even had snow in May:eek: No one was pleased!!:D

As a rule of thumb: Beginning of May is cold. It warms up mid to late May.

June is normally a nice and dry month. July is a rainy month and August is dry and sunny.

Summer temps usually stay around 13C-16C. Of course we have days with temps in the 20Cs.

Rain and cloudy we can have every day.

One summer it rained all summer - Needless to say; I booked a cruise to warmer climate:-)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Was begining to think I-CRUISER was some kind of Norwegian travel expert and Weather forecaster until I noticed you Live in Alesund :)

One question I've put in another post is does Norway get much Fog ? The weather can be very changeable so if it was Foggy in these Fjords would it clear quickly ?

A bit of Fog is ideal for photographs,

but to much, well take a look . . . .

Was begining to think I-CRUISER was some kind of Norwegian travel expert and Weather forecaster until I noticed you Live in Alesund :)

One question I've put in another post is does Norway get much Fog ? The weather can be very changeable so if it was Foggy in these Fjords would it clear quickly ?

A bit of Fog is ideal for photographs,

but to much, well take a look . . . .

Yes, the oracle from Ålesund:D

If there is rain there is fog :Dand we do get lots of rain.

If the clouds are hanging low it will not clear up.

Coming to Norway is all about nature and the beautiful scenery.

If it rains for your entire trip you have lost half of the experience.

If the weather is rainy and the clouds hangs low in the fjords you will be unable to see the top of the mountains.

I am sorry but all I can say is, sometimes it will clear up and sometimes not.