Alesund some advice please

Northbay:

You said:

Although I missed seeing these beautiful oranged beaked birds in Alesund, we were fortunate to see them in Iceland.

If anyone is stopping over in Iceland, a boat trip to see thousands of these (puffins) gorgeous and graceful birds as they swim and fly around close to the boat is a must and highly recommended. No need to book in advance either. Go down to the docks around 9:30 a.m. and you'll have your choice of booking a puffin or whalewatching tour. I think we paid about $40 pp for the puffin tour in Iceland. The boats were much more comfortable and since there were only 6 of us on board we were all able to take turns right at the bow of the boat or either side to enjoy the birds and scenery.

Liz

Where, in Iceland, was this?

TIA

Do some of the shops stay open later when ships are in town? We will be in Alesund on Monday June 3rd from 8AM to 10PM. We thought that since we had such a long day in port that we could take the 7 hour Troll Road tour (8:30 - 3:30) and then still have plenty of time to walk around town and up to the overlook.Will everything in town be closing shortly after we return from our tour? Do we have enough time upon our return from the tour to see a good amount of Alesund? Thank you!

That would be fun. However the "62 Nord" tours dont start before June 24 and ends August 18.

The RIB safari departs at 12noon and 6pm. It takes 2 hours and costs NOK 795 pp. Weather permitting.

We were in Alesund on June 17th, 2012, and the group from our cc group were able to rent a boat and driver/guide at that time to go to Runde Island to see the puffins.

Northbay:

You said:

Where, in Iceland, was this?

TIA

This was in Reyjklavik. We walked 2 or 3 blocks from the very impressive glass building downtown, which I think is a cultural centre. Go left down to the water and you can either buy tickets right there or in advance at Arctic Adventures, Laugavegl 11, 101 Reykjavik, or any one of the t.... agencies in and around Reykjavik, for either seeing puffins or combination puffins & whales. We didn't do the combo as we had heard that people hadn't been seeing too many whales when we were there. However, lots and lots of puffins. The boat was extremely comfortable with bench seats, and since there were only 6 of us we had a bird's eye view. Please dress warm when you are on the water even though it may be sunny out.

You're also able to order tickets on your Icelandair flight, but we had no problems purchasing tickets the same day in Reykjavik for a 10:00 a.m. departure, once we determined the weather conditions.

We're in two minds about doing a ship excursion in Alesund. We don't drive and are in port from 7am to 4pm. I'm quite happy to just walk around and sightsee, but can anyone shed any light on doing the trip below, or what the two islands are like?

The Islands of Giske & Godoy

Your tour starts with a short city sightseeing of Ålesund's Art Nouveau quarter. Ålesund's architectural character is the legacy of the great fire in 1904, as the city was rebuilt according to the vogue of the day. A drive up to Mount Aksla follows, for a beautiful view of the city, the islands and the Sunnmøre Mountains. Leaving Ålesund, you will drive through some of the world's longest sub-marine tunnels connecting the islands to the mainland. The island of Giske is known as the birthplace of the famous Viking King Gangerolv, or Rollo, who conquered Normandy in AD 911 and was the ancestor of William the Conqueror. With its powerful families, the island was a seat of power in the Viking Age. Pass the Giske Chapel a very simple and starkly beautiful Roman marble church dating from 1135. The church was built as a private place of worship for the famous Giske Viking family and its interior was restored in 1756. It is surrounded by old headstones and a manicured lawn. Next, you will head to the island of Godoy to visit the charming little fishing village of Alnes on the shores of the Atlantic. Return to the pier by way of the sub-marine tunnels.

Thanks!

We're in two minds about doing a ship excursion in Alesund. We don't drive and are in port from 7am to 4pm. I'm quite happy to just walk around and sightsee, but can anyone shed any light on doing the trip below, or what the two islands are like?

Your tour starts with a short city sightseeing of Ålesund's Art Nouveau quarter. Ålesund's architectural character is the legacy of the great fire in 1904, as the city was rebuilt according to the vogue of the day. A drive up to Mount Aksla follows, for a beautiful view of the city, the islands and the Sunnmøre Mountains. Leaving Ålesund, you will drive through some of the world's longest sub-marine tunnels connecting the islands to the mainland. The island of Giske is known as the birthplace of the famous Viking King Gangerolv, or Rollo, who conquered Normandy in AD 911 and was the ancestor of William the Conqueror. With its powerful families, the island was a seat of power in the Viking Age. Pass the Giske Chapel a very simple and starkly beautiful Roman marble church dating from 1135. The church was built as a private place of worship for the famous Giske Viking family and its interior was restored in 1756. It is surrounded by old headstones and a manicured lawn. Next, you will head to the island of Godoy to visit the charming little fishing village of Alnes on the shores of the Atlantic. Return to the pier by way of the sub-marine tunnels.

Thanks!

The tours description for Giske sure makes it more interesting than it really is..Its nothing special at all.

Its a nice thing to have done but its not a must.

There are nothing else to see on those two islands than what is described.

Alnes contains a row of wooden houses and a lighthouse. Thats it.:) One thing I know is that it will be very windy and cold out there.

I have seen cruise lines offering these tours and I have always thought they are really milking it.

I believe you will have just a wonderful day just walking around the town.

Visit a few museums and maybe walk to Aksla.

Thanks!

Here are 2 videos that show the tour you are describing. The first video is of a tour of Alesund, and the 2nd the islands of Giske and Godoy. (The tour also went to the Sunmore Museum, which is not on the tour you describe). The 2nd video of the islands will let you know whether the tour would interest you. The couple who filmed it are Spanish and have done videos like this in every port they visited.

Alesund

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D24uhL0FTAyU&usg=ALkJrhicHQ4VZhR2O5sfCOEGvlbbgQtXgg

Sunmore Museum, Giske and Godoy.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D1owlNR3uHec&usg=ALkJrhhDUM8XdNfsN6O8C8Q3m3HuMqZUxA

Here are 2 videos that show the tour you are describing. The first video is of a tour of Alesund, and the 2nd the islands of Giske and Godoy. (The tour also went to the Sunmore Museum, which is not on the tour you describe). The 2nd video of the islands will let you know whether the tour would interest you. The couple who filmed it are Spanish and have done videos like this in every port they visited.

Alesund

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D24uhL0FTAyU&usg=ALkJrhicHQ4VZhR2O5sfCOEGvlbbgQtXgg

Sunmore Museum, Giske and Godoy.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D1owlNR3uHec&usg=ALkJrhhDUM8XdNfsN6O8C8Q3m3HuMqZUxA

The tours description for Giske sure makes it more interesting than it really is..Its nothing special at all.

Alnes contains a row of wooden houses and a lighthouse. Thats it.:) One thing I know is that it will be very windy and cold out there.

I have seen cruise lines offering these tours and I have always thought they are really milking it.

Thank you both for saving us $200. ;)

I-Cruiser, you continue to provide very helpful information. We are considering a tour of the Alesund with a scenic boat ride on the Hjorundfjord. On this tour, you board the boat at Solavagen for a 20 mile sailing thru Vegsundet and Borgundfjord. How scenic is this cruise? Would you recommend this type of tour? Our ports are Bergen, Andalsnes, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Alesund and Stavanger. Which fjord tour would be better - Alesund or Stavanger? Thanks so much.

I-Cruiser, you continue to provide very helpful information. We are considering a tour of the Alesund with a scenic boat ride on the Hjorundfjord. On this tour, you board the boat at Solavagen for a 20 mile sailing thru Vegsundet and Borgundfjord. How scenic is this cruise? Would you recommend this type of tour? Our ports are Bergen, Andalsnes, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Alesund and Stavanger. Which fjord tour would be better - Alesund or Stavanger? Thanks so much.

I think you will have a wonderful day cruising the Hjørundfjorden. It a typical Norwegian fjord with high mountains and small settlements. I think its on height with the Geirangerfjord.

When you sail the Borgundfjord you will see all the suburbs to Alesund. Vegsund is actually a very quaint residential area with stunning views to the Norwegian Alps. Your boat might sail under the Vegsund bridge and pass some of the small islands along the way.

Its funny you actually board the boat at Solevag. Solevag is a car ferry stop.

Do you know what kind of boat the tour is using??? Solevag is very close to where we live so I would guess its a 30 minute bus ride from Alesund.

This is a wonderful tour and I am sure you will have a memorable day.:)

In Stavanger I guess you are cruising he Lysefjord??? This fjord is very different.. Its more open and rugged.

I would do both :) but if I had to choose I would choose Hjørundfjord.

I think you will have a wonderful day cruising the Hjørundfjorden. It a typical Norwegian fjord with high mountains and small settlements. I think its on height with the Geirangerfjord.

When you sail the Borgundfjord you will see all the suburbs to Alesund. Vegsund is actually a very quaint residential area with stunning views to the Norwegian Alps. Your boat might sail under the Vegsund bridge and pass some of the small islands along the way.

Its funny you actually board the boat at Solevag. Solevag is a car ferry stop.

Do you know what kind of boat the tour is using??? Solevag is very close to where we live so I would guess its a 30 minute bus ride from Alesund.

This is a wonderful tour and I am sure you will have a memorable day.:)

In Stavanger I guess you are cruising he Lysefjord??? This fjord is very different.. Its more open and rugged.

I would do both :) but if I had to choose I would choose Hjørundfjord.

This is the information we were given about the tour:

Enjoy a drive around the lovely Art Nouveau town of Ålesund and admire the unusual architecture and pretty colours of its buildings. Visit the Mount Hessa and Mount Aksla viewpoints for excellent panoramas of the city from two different angles, before continuing along the Borgundfjord, past modern suburbs and the old trading centre of Borgund to Solavågen.

At Solavågen, you will transfer to a private chartered boat for a 20 mile cruise on the Hjørundfjord. The fjord, considered to be one of the most magnificent in Norway, is 1,443 feet deep and surrounded on both sides by a dramatic landscape of mountain peaks. Enjoy refreshments of tea or coffee and waffles on the boat as you sail through Vegsundet and Borgundfjord back to Ålesund.

I wonder if the private chartered boat is small? This may be an excursion we need to book early. Yes, the tour in Stavanger is in the lysejford and goes to Pulpit Rock. Thank you so much for your helpful information.

This is the information we were given about the tour:

Enjoy a drive around the lovely Art Nouveau town of Ålesund and admire the unusual architecture and pretty colours of its buildings. Visit the Mount Hessa and Mount Aksla viewpoints for excellent panoramas of the city from two different angles, before continuing along the Borgundfjord, past modern suburbs and the old trading centre of Borgund to Solavågen.

At Solavågen, you will transfer to a private chartered boat for a 20 mile cruise on the Hjørundfjord. The fjord, considered to be one of the most magnificent in Norway, is 1,443 feet deep and surrounded on both sides by a dramatic landscape of mountain peaks. Enjoy refreshments of tea or coffee and waffles on the boat as you sail through Vegsundet and Borgundfjord back to Ålesund.

I wonder if the private chartered boat is small? This may be an excursion we need to book early. Yes, the tour in Stavanger is in the lysejford and goes to Pulpit Rock. Thank you so much for your helpful information.

You should book this tour - I am sure you will love every minute of it.

It sounds really interesting:)

The boat will be small. My guess it will hold less than 100 passanger.....

Imacruizer:

Could you tell me who offers this excursion, and the start and ending times?

TIA

Edited by bearsfolks

Imacruizer:

Could you tell me who offers this excursion, and the start and ending times?

TIA

It is a Cunard ship excursion. I am not a big ship excursion fan. However, I have not had much luck booking private excursions in Norway. Best wishes to you in finding tours.

Thanks, Beth, for the info. I don't know if we can fit it into our schedule--I've sent them an e-mail.

I'm so sorry. I guess I wasn't clear in my response. We are sailing on the QM2 (a Cunard ship). This is one of the excursions offered by the cruiseline. You would have to be sailing on one of the Cunard ships to book this excursion. Of course, I don't know what ship you are on, so it may be Cunard. Our ports are Bergen, Andalsnes, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Alesund and Stavanger. Are you visiting any of these ports? Have you found private excursions?

Edited by imacruizer

I'm so sorry. I guess I wasn't clear in my response.

Hi Beth:

No apologies needed. I figured it was an excursion offered by a specific ship, but I Googled key words, and found the local company that offers it. Let's see if they respond.

We are on the Ryndham from Dover, except that we are joining the cruise in Stavanger, and leaving it in Bergen.

You asked about our excursions:

Bergen--HA excursion to Hardanger; We'll also spend a day there on our own just wandering around.

Trondheim--wander on our own

Honnigsvag--HA Bird Safari to the Gjesværstappan Nature Reserve

Tromso--HA excursion of Highlights and Cable Car, although we may do this on our own

Alesund--RIB boat to Runde

We'd usually do more on our own, but my wife fractured her ankle earlier this year in Iceland, so we're going to take it a bit easy. My usual vacations are normally described by her as "Death marches"! :-)

You asked about our excursions: Bergen--HA excursion to Hardanger; We'll also spend a day there on our own just wandering around. Trondheim--wander on our own. Honnigsvag--HA Bird Safari to the Gjesværstappan Nature Reserve. Tromso--HA excursion of Highlights and Cable Car, although we may do this on our own Alesund--RIB boat to Runde. We'd usually do more on our own, but my wife fractured her ankle earlier this year in Iceland, so we're going to take it a bit easy. My usual vacations are normally described by her as "Death marches"! :-)

Hope you don't mind my jumping in with a couple of comments and suggestions. Super great that bearsfolks will have the added time in Bergen. Such a charming and interesting city. On the Alesund RIB boat to Runde, be aware that it does not always run and work out. Fortunately for us, we had arranged in advance for a car and had our own independent plan to do that trip on our own. That day the ship RIB boat to Runde did not operate. Don't know if it was sea conditions and/or lack of numbers signed up. It is good to think of a "Plan B" in the event that weather and/or other conditions would force you to adjust your plans.

Yes, for Trondheim, much can be done on your own, including their historic Cathedral, etc. Very special town with lots of character and interest.

For many of these locations along the Norway coast, the number of local providers to do such tours are very limited. Regardless of the cruise line used, the local tour company tends to be the same firm serving all of the cruise lines.

Both imacruizer and bearsfolks have some great ports and places to look forward to seeing and experiencing. Keep those good questions and ideas rolling along.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 103,863 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Beth:

No apologies needed. I figured it was an excursion offered by a specific ship, but I Googled key words, and found the local company that offers it. Let's see if they respond.

We are on the Ryndham from Dover, except that we are joining the cruise in Stavanger, and leaving it in Bergen.

You asked about our excursions:

Bergen--HA excursion to Hardanger; We'll also spend a day there on our own just wandering around.

Trondheim--wander on our own

Honnigsvag--HA Bird Safari to the Gjesværstappan Nature Reserve

Tromso--HA excursion of Highlights and Cable Car, although we may do this on our own

Alesund--RIB boat to Runde

We'd usually do more on our own, but my wife fractured her ankle earlier this year in Iceland, so we're going to take it a bit easy. My usual vacations are normally described by her as "Death marches"! :-)

I would love to hear the reply the give you.

Most of the 62Nord tours don't start until mid June.

You could do both but the Atlantic sea park is really not worth it.

Unless, you would like to see cod etc in an aquarium.

Believe me, I live in Alesund .

I-Cruiser: so far I have just scanned quickly thru this post and have at least found two recomendations that are totally wrong. If you don't think it is interesting for you, then just explain why. To say that Atlanterhavsparken is like seeing cod in an aquarium is stupid. Let people judge for themselves. http://www.atlanterhavsparken.no/english