Help booked military rate and not military

fuzzyg565

I need your help. I saw a great deal on a travel website, called and the agent quoted me a great price for Disney. I booked it for my daughter and her friend. During the conversation with the agent, nothing about military was ever mentioned. I was talking to another agent about what a great deal I got, she said that sounds like a military rate. Called Disney to see if that was true, and it was. They said that when my daughter and her friend would get to the port they would need to prove they are military and if not, they would be charged the full price right there or they could not get on the ship. I am so glad we found this out ahead of time. I am dealing with the customer service department, the agent won't return my calls. My daughter has non-refundable airfare. Has anyone ever had this happen? What was the outcome? The cruise is in March 2012

I need your help. I saw a great deal on a travel website, called and the agent quoted me a great price for Disney. I booked it for my daughter and her friend. During the conversation with the agent, nothing about military was ever mentioned. I was talking to another agent about what a great deal I got, she said that sounds like a military rate. Called Disney to see if that was true, and it was. They said that when my daughter and her friend would get to the port they would need to prove they are military and if not, they would be charged the full price right there or they could not get on the ship. I am so glad we found this out ahead of time. I am dealing with the customer service department, the agent won't return my calls. My daughter has non-refundable airfare. Has anyone ever had this happen? What was the outcome? The cruise is in March 2012

I presume you mean the cruise is next month, March 2013.

When you say you are dealing with customer service and the agent won't return your calls, I presume you are talking about the travel website you booked it on since they are the only ones who can change the price for you.

Can some other agent at the travel site revise the reservation and charge you the correct price? It'll probably mean cancelling that booking and doing a new one.

That is what needs to be done so that your daughter's airfare isn't lost.

My question is how do you quote a price and it really isn't valid. If we knew it would cost this much, the cruise would have never been booked. Could you even imagine these young adults thinking they are going on a cruise and getting to the port and they tell them they need a military ID or it will cost them $1200. This is just so wrong, why would anyone do this

Wow, this is a bad situation.

You need to work with someone other than the particular agent who made this bad booking. You need to find a way to get a supervisor/higher up involved in this situation. Doesn't seem the agent is going to work with you or try to make it right.

We are not permitted on CC to discuss TA's by name but I hope it is a well known, reputable company you are dealling with and this one agent was an exception to their professionalism. If not, there is a real problem.

Since this is for March this year, I would think you would be past final payment and therefore there would be penalties for cancelling and rebooking. I have never cruised Disney, but have cruised military on other lines, and I had to provide documents to prove eligibility for the rate within a few days of booking or booking would be cancelled/charged another rate. I never had to prove eligibility at the port. You might ask on the Disney board here at CC how they handle it. And I understand there are boards on the Disney forum that you can ask about also. EM

Since this is for March this year, I would think you would be past final payment and therefore there would be penalties for cancelling and rebooking. I have never cruised Disney, but have cruised military on other lines, and I had to provide documents to prove eligibility for the rate within a few days of booking or booking would be cancelled/charged another rate. I never had to prove eligibility at the port. You might ask on the Disney board here at CC how they handle it. And I understand there are boards on the Disney forum that you can ask about also. EM

From the DCL website:

Eligibility

Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse), including U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Department of Defense personnel. Active and retired members (or spouse) of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in. This offer is limited to a maximum of one stateroom per military member (or spouse), per sailing. A U.S. Military service member (or spouse) is required to sail to take advantage of this offer. Activated members (or spouse) of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders (active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).

I've never used a military rate (although we are eligible) but have used resident and senior rates which are easy to check. You need to get a supervisor at the travel agency since they are clearly at fault and the girls will have to come up with the extra money before being permitted to board if they do not straighten things out. Hope you kept all emails, receipts etc. please come back and let us know the outcome.

What good news.

You've had a stressful experience but it happily has a good outcome.

Do you suppose there was a tape recording of the telephone and they listened to the tape?

Thank you for coming back to tell us the 'rest of the story'. All too often people fail to return and we are left wondering.

Wishing your DD and her friend a great cruise.

Just got a call from customer service and they are fixing everything and we owe nothing! I am so glad there are companies out there that take responsibilities for their employees.:D

YAY!! I am so glad it has worked out okay.

I am definitely getting it in writing and I will confirm with Disney that it is not military. I also asked the travel agency to transfer the trip to a different agent. Thanks again for all of the well wishes!

Terrific! Hope they have a great trip.

Archived