Dunns River Falls?

Jaseb

Hello,

We are 2 couples with 6 kids and we all want to attend Dunns River Falls. I have been before porting in Ochos Rios. Now we will be porting at Montego Bay. Does anybody have any recommendations on whom to book this through? Any advice s appreciated

We went Dunn River Falls a few years ago and I can say we would never go again. One slip, one fall, and your cruise would be OVER. The rocks are very slippery. I know that some of you will not agree....but to me it is not worth the risk. As far as your next stop we will be going there ourselves for the first time this April.

Hello,

We are 2 couples with 6 kids and we all want to attend Dunns River Falls. I have been before porting in Ochos Rios. Now we will be porting at Montego Bay. Does anybody have any recommendations on whom to book this through? Any advice s appreciated

The only time we did it, we booked through Carnival, the combined tour with Bamboo Beach Club, and we are doing it again in April. We had a GREAT time!!!! Yes, the rocks are slippery, but if you listen to the guide, and walk where they tell you too, it really isn't that bad.

We did Dunns Rivers Falls while vacationing at Sandals, NOT on a cruise. If you are porting in Montego Bay, keep in mind, you are looking at a GOOD 1.5 hour ride, EACH WAY. Make sure you have MORE than enough time. While the rocks are slippery, it is a GREAT time. The guides are there to hold your hands, etc. Not good for young kids. Make sure they have water shoes. Be safe and have a great time!!!!!!

We did Dunns Rivers Falls while vacationing at Sandals, NOT on a cruise. If you are porting in Montego Bay, keep in mind, you are looking at a GOOD 1.5 hour ride, EACH WAY. Make sure you have MORE than enough time. While the rocks are slippery, it is a GREAT time. The guides are there to hold your hands, etc. Not good for young kids. Make sure they have water shoes. Be safe and have a great time!!!!!!

If you follow the guides and are careful you will be ok. Looked at it as a challenge and great fun. Water shoes or sneakers are a must.

A couple of years ago, several people in my cruise group went on a Royal Caribbean cruise. We used the cruise line to book the excursion. The trip to Dunn's River from Falmouth (which is even closer to the falls) took a long time. It was very educational and I enjoyed it a lot. We also floated down the White River on inter tubes. That was great fun and I would do that again. I struggled climbing the falls because of my height (short legs, tall rocks). I felt I was holding the group back, so I exited about halfway up and took photos of the others. My concern for your trip would be getting back to the ship in time. If you only did the falls, you could probably do it without too much stress. However, because we tried to do two things, we didn't get back to the ship until 10 minutes before the ship left port. The whole ride back I kept saying to myself I sure was glad we book through the cruise line. They aren't suppose to leave you if you use one of their tour guides. So my suggestion is pay a little more and use the cruise line to book the excursion. It will give you peace of mind. Enjoy your trip.

We have booked with Cool Runnings Catamarans all three times we've been to Ocho Rios. We absolutely LOVE this excursion, so we have continued to bring friends and family along with us. We often book outside of the Carnival excursions, but for this port, Cool Runnings is offered by Carnival and it's OUTSTANDING! We have bought the videos each time (which has helped us relive the fun AND convince our friends and family to go with us!) They have kept us safe and entertained climbing the falls. (And the boat trip back is a blast!)

I can't recommend them enough!

In rereading this thread, I realize that you are coming from Montego Bay, instead of Ocho! Sorry, but I don't suppose it's offered from that port? Too bad...they're really awesome. Hope you find an equally fun company to climb with.

We did Dunns from Montego Bay on our first cruise...and didn't know any better. We didn't pre-book the excursion and just asked for a guide. We ended up with the owner of one of the tour companies. My daughter and son in law say that Pete Taylor is AWESOME. Anyway, it is a long ride to the falls from MoBay. We stopped and he gave us a great history of the island, stopped where Christopher Columbus came, ate authentic jerk chicken, etc. The guide stayed with my Mother the entire time. NOW...hindsight being 20/20..not realizing "stay on ship's time" etc. .it scares the bejeeeezus out of me. We had no idea that we could have been left behind had we been running late, etc. We just assumed that everything was just fine. Granted it all worked out great....but not so sure I would do that again. Personally, I would book the excursion through Carnival just for the peace of mind given the distance to the falls....and the road conditions can be pretty horrendous.

The falls are great....definitely go there if you can.

The first time we did the Dunn's Falls trip it was with my parents--age 60+ at the time. They loved the falls as did we. We did it again several years later when we were in our early 50's and enjoyed it yet again. If you walk where the guides tell you, keep your water shoes on, you will do great. I would be hesitant to take a trip on any excursion other than Carnival as Mo Bay is so far from Ocho Rios and the roads are not the best. I would be afraid of coming back late and missing the ship. I do independent tours all the time, but wouldn't risk it on this one.

We have booked with Cool Runnings Catamarans all three times we've been to Ocho Rios. We absolutely LOVE this excursion, so we have continued to bring friends and family along with us. We often book outside of the Carnival excursions, but for this port, Cool Runnings is offered by Carnival and it's OUTSTANDING! We have bought the videos each time (which has helped us relive the fun AND convince our friends and family to go with us!) They have kept us safe and entertained climbing the falls. (And the boat trip back is a blast!)

I can't recommend them enough!

We used Cool Runnings last year and had a blast! Would do it again in a heartbeat. Yes, the rocks are slippery - you are walking up a waterfall/river, but that is why they tell you to wear water shoes. I would not attempt to do this without them and listen to your guide. They know what they are talking about.

Archived