Seabourn Sojourn Food and Service

HappyFeet13

We are on the Sojourn now, after boarding in Buenos Aires on Feb. 3. I am VERY disappointed. We have been on the little sisters and feared we wouldn't like the bigger ship. We were confident that we would love the food and service because it has always been superb on Seabourn, but we feared the bigger size would make it more difficult to meet people. The problem here is that we DO like the bigger ship. It is beautiful and we feel quite comfortable and have had an easy time meeting people. But it is the food and service that has deteriorated. Bottom line: "This ain't the Seabourn I used to know". Food in main dining room is mediocre. If I went to this as a regular restaurant and paid my bill, I'd say, "It's OK, but I wouldn't go back". Problem is I have to go back for 14 days. Food quality is average to below average. Wines are just OK. Service is VERY spotty...you can wait a half hour for a wine refill, or get it refilled every minute. Quantity is ridiculous. TWO shrimp in a shrimp cocktail? THREE medium scallops when you order scallops as a main course? Service ranges from exemplary (this used the Seabourn standard that you could always count on) to downright rude. The important thing here is that my opinion is shared by numerous others that I have met aboard. They ALL have stories of rude or unhelpful waiters. The tour director is rude. The Maitre 'd is rude if you dare ask him to do anything at all. I don't know if this is a Sojourn problem or a Seabourn problem But they'd better fix it fast. No one I know is planning to book Seabourn again. We are all talking Crystal, Azamara, Regent for our next cruises. Seabourn...you have a problem!

When I was on the Sojourn in December I had excellent food and service. It was the cruise right after they had a meltdown in the kitchen and replaced the chef. Kevin (head of restaurants for the whole fleet) and Guenter (Chief hotel manager) were both aboard and maybe that had something to do with it. Sorry to hear it has not lasted.

Oh dear, our next cruise is on the Sojourn in April for the crossing. This has really worried me. What does the Hotel Manager have to say about this because you presumably have had a word with him? I am not so worried about the food or wine, that is often quite subjective, but rude service is another thing altogether.

I do hope that things improve for the rest of your cruise and that you are able to post a positive outcome for us future Sojourn cruisers!

By the way who is the Hotel Manager and the Maitre'd?

Jim, Sorry you are having problems. We were on the Sojourn this past September after having done Regent Circle SA for 72 days. We were so glad to be back on Seabourn because the service and food had been really poor on the Mariner. The Sojourn is so much better...both food and service. Fortunately we didn't hear any complaints about the food...just the weather and resulting seas. It was our first time on the big girls and we really loved the ship too.

We did have a couple of wait staff that we didn't like...slow service or less than friendly, but we had several that we really loved, so after the first few days always asked to be seated in with a one of two wait staff groups that we liked.

The portions on all ships have been reduced, mass market and luxury, I guess to cut waste and cost. We don't really mind that so much as there has always been much too much food left on the plates especially when enjoying all the lovely courses. Given the choice, I would rather order more of my favorite than raise the cruise price even more to cover the cost of what is ordered and not eaten. If there is something we really like we always ask for more when first ordering, because asking for a second order sometimes takes to long.....I also usually ask the amount...number of shrimp etc the first time we order a dish. Of course, that is the advantage of having the same waiter each night, because after the first few days they know what we like and suggest accordingly.

The wine was OK and our glasses were kept full, but not outstanding wine...just good..same way on Regent. If you are a wine person you have to pay for the good stuff or bring your own.

I hate to say this, but for my taste I liked the over all food on my Carnival cruise with the grandkids this past summmer better than either Regent or Seabourn. It was just plain old good cooking...they weren't trying to be fancy, but of course, the cruise was half the price of Seabourn! I know many people like fancy/unusual foods but sometimes after 2 or more weeks on board I would give anything for simple with out having to order ahead!

For our money and things we like about a cruise, Seabourn and the big sisters are wonderful even with the odd poor staff member. Just talk to management.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Oh dear, our next cruise is on the Sojourn in April for the crossing. This has really worried me. What does the Hotel Manager have to say about this because you presumably have had a word with him? I am not so worried about the food or wine, that is often quite subjective, but rude service is another thing altogether.

I do hope that things improve for the rest of your cruise and that you are able to post a positive outcome for us future Sojourn cruisers!

By the way who is the Hotel Manager and the Maitre'd?

We were just about to book 3 weeks on Sojourn in the Spring and perhaps again in the summer but we may not do so now. We may try a different cruise line as we find the menus never change and the entertainment can be a bit boring. We have never found fault with the service or staff. We have always loved Seabourn. It is a pity that it is not the wonderful cruise line it used to be.

We disembarked from Odyssey on Thursday after 16 days.

Food was excellent both in the MDR and the Colonnade. I particularly liked the Colonnade chef who was very present. No problem with the portions either.

Service was generally outstanding. A couple of times the Colonnade got 'slammed'. For example, the Tuscan Market was extremely popular and the staff there had some difficulty in coping with the volume. That impacted on service but, in fairness, it was tough for the crew and they did a pretty good job in the circumstances.

Complimentary wines were pretty average but you could always find something that was drinkable. Nevertheless, that is an area where Seabourn need to 'rediscover' their 6 star rating. We did order a couple of times from the wine list - on-board credit is a wonderful thing - so there are options.

As on any ship, there will be some crew who are better and more experienced than others. We have been on Odyssey the three times this last year so have got to know their crew. They now have a lot of experienced staff and good continuity; and it shows in the service.

I would be interested to know who the current hot man is. When we were on the Sojourn last August, he made any number of really dumb decisions. The classic was insisting upon having the vodka and caviar event outside in 50 degrees and 35 mph winds. The wait staff even pleaded to move it to no avail. About 15 people attended and the hotel manager did a disappearing act!

I would be interested to know who the current hot man is. When we were on the Sojourn last August, he made any number of really dumb decisions. The classic was insisting upon having the vodka and caviar event outside in 50 degrees and 35 mph winds. The wait staff even pleaded to move it to no avail. About 15 people attended and the hotel manager did a disappearing act!

Well that problem was resolved in Sept when it was just pleasantly cool by our standard and we were all cramed inside for the event...did eat our fair share, but it would have been better outside......just goes to show the staff has a time trying to please everyone! LOL

We disembarked from Odyssey on Thursday after 16 days.

Food was excellent both in the MDR and the Colonnade. I particularly liked the Colonnade chef who was very present. No problem with the portions either......

Complimentary wines were pretty average but you could always find something that was drinkable. Nevertheless, that is an area where Seabourn need to 'rediscover' their 6 star rating. We did order a couple of times from the wine list - on-board credit is a wonderful thing - so there are options.

As on any ship, there will be some crew who are better and more experienced than others...

I totally agree with your comments on the wine...we were always able to fine a wine we were happy with on the free list, but not always what was being served for that night. Never ordered from the wine list, but it is a good way to spend the OBC which we had generous amount....used ours to do an expensive, but great ship's tour in a remote location.

Over all our service was as good as we remember from past trips on the little girls and we really enjoyed the grill this time for lunch, had a great bar tender. Normally we eat in the MDR or use room service, but the grill food and set up on the new builds is so comfortable and open it was a pleasure to be outside.

I think one of our problems is that we really can't be outside...it is too cold and windy. That means everyone is in the Collonade or MDR for lunch and dinner. On previous Seabourne cruises we have also had at least two other choices..both outdoors, and this really takes the pressure off the two main eateries. On this trip, the Collonade has been quite crowded at breakfast and at lunch time. It has been quite hard to find a table. They do not offer to help you find a table...you are on your own like at a $5 cafeteria. Today, they opened Restaurant 2 at lunchtime just for overflow tables. But they neglected to assign it a waiter. We had to ask and ask to get a waiter to come take our order for today's special. Also, tonight one of our newly-met friends invited 3 other couples to dinner. She had made a reservation for a particular table in the MDR with a waiter she really likes. She told us to ask for her table by her first name. We got there first and the Maitre D didn't know anyone by the first name we gave him. He ultimately put us at a table for 8. Then he brought another couple over who were not part of our group. Then the hostess arrived and was very upset that the arrangement she had made had not been honored. She was very embarrassed. That is kind of "par" for the course this trip. A few nights ago I made reservations for a particular table. The reservation was made for my table for 8, but not anywhere near the table that I had requested. I really hate to say all this. It sounds like I am a serial complainer, which I am not. But I'm hoping that Seabourn monitors this thread and recognizes that they need to so some work here.

On this trip, the Collonade has been quite crowded at breakfast and at lunch time. It has been quite hard to find a table.

Jim,

Have breakfast and lunch in the dining room,you will also get served correctly.

I find it much nicer, without the crowd of the colonnade.

No use complaining on these boards,you must talk to the Hotel Director and sort your problems out whilst you are on the ship.

Ofcourse there could be four hundred other guests that are having a different experience to you on this trip.:)

Thank you. I would not have posted what I have if I had not discussed this with other passengers who feel the same way. But of course some passengers are undoubtedly having a better experience and are very happy. The more experienced the traveler, the more likely it is that they are a bit disappointed. Seabourn has always met the highest standards and it becomes quite obvious when they slip a rung. I'd give them an "A" for my previous four cruises, but a "C+" for this one. That's OK for Carnival, but not for Seabourn. I will take your advice and talk to the hotel manager. I did not want to do that because I did not want to get singled out for "special treatment" so that my opinion would change. They have a systemic problem here that can't be solved by "oiling the squeaking wheel". Rumor has it that the head Chef (or perhaps the Food and Beverage Manager) for Seabourn is aboard and working on this issue. We will try breakfast in the restaurant, but it is only open from 8:00-9:30, while the Colonnade stays open until 10:30. I promise that if service and food start improving I will report it here. It would be grossly unfair to leave a negative review online if Seabourn improves, or tries to improve, in these areas. Stay tuned.

Jim - really sorry to hear about your dining experiences. I know from experience (and I have mentioned this before) that it depends so much on the staff, and particularly senior staff like the Maitre'd and Chef, how the dining experience rates. There are just a few who are obviously inefficient and/or unpleasant, and this is a problem for the junior staff as well as the passengers.

If quite a few of your fellow passengers feel the same, make sure you all email Seabourn when you get home to tell them what you found - and name the guilty parties.

Jim - really sorry to hear about your dining experiences. I know from experience (and I have mentioned this before) that it depends so much on the staff, and particularly senior staff like the Maitre'd and Chef, how the dining experience rates. There are just a few who are obviously inefficient and/or unpleasant, and this is a problem for the junior staff as well as the passengers.

If quite a few of your fellow passengers feel the same, make sure you all email Seabourn when you get home to tell them what you found - and name the guilty parties.

I really feel that you have to do this when you are onboard,especially reguarding the poor and rude service, there's nothing like the there and then approach ,also the more that tackle the Hotel Manager the better imo. I certainly don't feel that you will be singled out for special service, just think that it will improve overall, well hopefully anyway.

I look forward to your updates.

Took your recommendation and went to MDR for breakfast today. Only 12-14 people there! Service was good. I ordered smoked salmon, cream cheese and toasted bagel. Got a small melon-sized scoop of cream cheese and very small portion of salmon on a large plate. It looked a bit silly. I heard a woman at the next table say to her husband that she really likes the small portions they serve here. The key is that even the people who don't eat a lot have noticed that the portions are very small! Honestly, most main course portions they serve here are appetizer-sized. Last night I ordered the filet mignon off the "classic" menu because I had seen someone else order it the night before and it looked good. It was a normal-sized portion and was excellent.

Your breakfast is the one I most enjoy and make a specific order for more cream cheese (3!) and double salmon. When I order shrimp cocktail, I order a double portion. Live and learn.

And today is National Bagels and Lox Day. So order some from room service for your tea or cocktails!

We were on the Spirit for New Years. On the whole we loved the crew. However, the diningroom B &L staff seemed not to want patrons. We walked in 1 day for lunch. Are you dining here? Yes, to get out of the midday sun. Do you know that you can also dine inside, upstairs at the buffet? Sat down. As the next 2 couples came in, same conversation!

I am sorry to read this note about Sojourn which we have enjoyed. 'Our' maitre d' [from Sojourn] is now on Spirit and is good. Also sorry to read this about Seabourn. Hopefully the issues will be addressed.

Took your recommendation and went to MDR for breakfast today. Only 12-14 people there! Service was good.Last night I ordered the filet mignon off the "classic" menu because I had seen someone else order it the night before and it looked good. It was a normal-sized portion and was excellent.

Well Jim,there are two positives that you did not have before starting this thread.

If you find that some portions are small,do not be afraid to ask for a larger portion.I sometimes have a main course as a starter portion if there are two great things on the main course selection.

You can also order something off the menu with 24 Hours notice from your head waiter.Rack of lamb,Chateaubriand,Dover sole anything that you might think of.

Remember the menu is only a suggestion of what is available onboard Seabourn ships.

Now,have you plucked up enough courage to tell the Hotel director what you think of the service? :D

Jim in Florida - I am not at all surprised by the poor quality service aboard the Sojourn. This is what most objective passengers have observed. This is why Seabourn is receiving all the negative press lately. Although complaining to the hotel director might improve your cruise, I am afraid it won't solve the real problem. The real issue is that the staff are not adequately trained (certainly not to 5* levels) and / or are ill-suited to a career in the service industry. So while you might wind up with more polished staff after your complaints, somebody else will be served by the same lousy crew members. So many of the staff just didn't seem to understand industry standard practices and seemed lost if things didn't go according to the game plan.

In addition, when I was on the Sojourn in 2012, most of the mainline staff was comprised of very young Europeans, who very clearly didn't intend to make a career in the service industry. Many of them had the entirely wrong attitude to be working as service staff. Although at first we were shocked, by the end of the cruise we were not surprised by the open hostility the crew displayed toward each other. Sometimes the hostility was also directed towards the passengers. An Australian couple we really enjoyed openly wondered if there was going to be a mutiny while we were aboard.

Until Seabourn makes an effort to lower turnover of the hotel and wait staff, retain only it's best employees and improve the training of new staff it is not at all surprising to me that the most recent reviews from the three major travel review sites rate the service on Seabourn below that of mass market cruise lines.

Glad you are talking to Management...in 30 years of cruising, Princess HAL, Silver Seas, Regent and Seabourn, that is the only thing we have found that usually works. I feel we pay good money for a cruise...no mater what cruise line and I expect good service..that is the one thing the head staff on the ship can controll! This may sound harsh, but I always tell our room attendent that I want our room made up while we are at breakfast and that we comsume lots of ice, so please keep the bucket full! Cleaning our room is easy to do, as we eat breakfast at 8:30 in the MDR every day. I know these are little things, but they make for a very pleasant cruise for us.

I did try the Colonande on the Sojourn after so many of you raved about it. But I found it too crowded at the buffet and hard to find a table most times. Yes, they would come eventually to take my order and bring things, but I much prefer the peace and grace of the MDR. We did like the Grill if we opted for a late lunch even though it was a cold, wet crossing...the blankets and a drink kept us warm!

Since we most always eat B, L & D in the MDR, as soon as we find a waiter we like we ask to sit at one of his tables. After a couple of mornings he knows that my DH likes a triple helping of smoked salmon and I like a a side of gritts on my breakfast plate, not served first in a soup bowl. These are little things and getting it right at the beginning of the cruise makes for a menories of a wonderful cruise. Most of the staff on any ship really want to please, but they can't if you don't let them know what bugs you.

On the Sojourn in Sept, we had two waiters that we liked, but I didn't like sitting in the back four corners. On the fisrt formal night it was really rushed when we arrived. We were seated back in a corner and I faced the wall. Well, the next night we went in earlier and the dinning room was fairly empty, but we were escorted to the back corner again...as soon at I realized we were heading for that same table I stopped and told our escort that I wanted to sit in the middle section and at a certain waiter's tables. He went back to get a new assignment and we started for another table that I could see was not in my waiter's area so stopped again and asked again. Of Course, we have now paraded around several times and DH is getting a bit put out with me! But the third time was the charm and we were seated in the middle outside section with our waiter that night. Our cabin was at the front of the ship and we always entered from the "back" of the MDR, but after that night as soon as the MD saw us coming, he sent the escort to seat us in the section with the waiter we liked. Special treatment, I guess, but after all that is what Seabourn is known for and what we pay for. I got the service I expected and had no more complaints for the 19 days.

There were a couple of vocal complainers on board in Sept, but in conversations the theme was "haven't mentioned it...Seabourn should do better or use to be better". We tried to stay clear of them mainly because they were real downers and I feel if we, as repeat or new passenagers, do not demand good service and let the head staff on the ship know if/when the service is falling short, we have only ourselves to blame. JMO.

cwn,

You can always find plainer food on the always available menu without pre ordering.

Jim in Florida,

When I was on in December it was equally cold and we only managed to have one lunch at the Patio Grill the entire cruise. No dinners. So of course the other venues were more crowded. And I agree about the filet mignon off the always available menu. One night I asked the waiter to be sure to bring me a nice sized one and he delivered two which I promptly shared with my table mates.

wirpo,

Yes, I know. We did order off the Always Availaible several very good steaks with a side of the wonderful mashed potatoes or sometimes I ordered just mashed potatoes and a salad because I don't eat much beef/meat.

We were both craving simple pasta dishes by dinner time some nights, but hadn't ordered the day ahead because we didn't know that would be our desire at dinner the following night. It's not a problem on short cruises, but for 3-4 weeks it is. I learned when I mentioned to this to our waiter one night that there is a paste dish that they always have (it is not on the menu). When I did find out about it toward the end, I was a happy camper!

sananda,

That has not been our experience...In the last year we have sailed on Seabourn, Carnival and Princess....the last two years adds HAL and Regent to the mix. We have not found that much difference in the service staff except that the mass market lines have many more SEA's in the service staff. The main difference in mass market and luxury has much more to do with size of the ships and the services offered that are included in the fare and always has.

The Sojourn was the best staff and service of the lot and that was in Sept 2012. Regent was at the bottom of the pile. We couldn't see any difference in the service level from our last Seabourn cruise in 2009 on the Pride.

When we started cruising 30 years ago, the the service crew was almost all European (Eastern) and almost to a person were wonderful. We never had a problem with them not understanding what we asked for. When we first sailed on Seabourn there were young people from Australia along with the Europeans and some Asian. Over the 30 years of our experience, waiters and cabin crew have always been young people with the odd older waiter. The Department Heads have been mostly European, or from countries where English is spoken by many and have been older career people. Of course, there are many more young staff now, all cruise lines have grown, but as far as I am concerned, thankfully Seabourn has kept many Europeans on the wait staff. You will get the odd grumpy crew member on any cruise.

I know some love the ships that have all SEA service staff because the SEA's are so friendly and service oriented. That is outerly true and as long as the standard script doesn't change. However, their comand of English and understanding of what the passenger is asking for is badly flawed and hard to catch because they always smile and say yes...but then the order comes and you know.

Our first ever cruise was a Black Sea on Cunard. It is considered mass market, but the service and services received on that cruise and on several other cruises on Princess and Norweigen duing the 1980's and early 90's would put the cruises from 2000 onward even on Silver Seas and Seabourn to shame. Standards have changed as the lines have grown and more and more people are cruising. It is like now you talk to someone in India when you have a customer service issue.

Seabourn still does a good job in the service area and has a crew that is mostly will the make the passenger happy. Passengers have to let the ship staff know what went worng and right and also send the same info the the main office. The whole cruise industry is changing and in some ways we, personally, don't care for. Cruising has become the "in" thing and sometimes that is not a good thing!

We were in Ushuaia. Argentina today. After we finished our shore excursion we bought huge servings of King Crab to go at a local restaurant and brought it to the ship, but they wouldn't let us board with it! We ate as much as we could while standing on the dock and threw the rest away. It was unseasonably warm so we decided to go to deck 8 and eat outside by the bar. They had surf and turf. It was great. We ordered 3 (instead of the standard 1) prawns and the 8 oz steak. Plus i ordered a rum punch and then another. Plenty to eat and very good. If it's warm enough, I'll eat all my dinners out there. It's amazing how a rum punch or two can change your outlook!

Archived