Snorkling for Scaredy Cat Novices -POA cruise

banditbandit

DH and I snorkeled once in Bermuda- it was a disaster. We didn't get past the rocky shore. I couldn't see without my glasses and he sucked in too much water...We are celebrating our 30th anniversary so we are no spring chickens and would like to live to see our 31st!

We want to try again but need a very calm surf with no rocks.

We are 3days in Waikiki, 3days Turtle Bay, and the POA cruise.

I am aware of Snorkel Bob's prescription goggles that I can rent for the trip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edie and Steve

DH and I snorkeled once in Bermuda- it was a disaster. We didn't get past the rocky shore. I couldn't see without my glasses and he sucked in too much water...We are celebrating our 30th anniversary so we are no spring chickens and would like to live to see our 31st!

We want to try again but need a very calm surf with no rocks.

We are 3days in Waikiki, 3days Turtle Bay, and the POA cruise.

I am aware of Snorkel Bob's prescription goggles that I can rent for the trip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edie and Steve

I think we are going to snorkel at the Molokini Crater in Maui the first day. Our friends went on this cruise last year and did this snorkel. The water is rougher than the Caribbean I think. She said they didn't have vests, but handed out the noodles that you can float on. Also, the water is pretty cool but they do have wetsuits you can rent pretty cheap. They went in July and needed them so I'm pretty sure we'll need a wetsuit in May. There's no rocks because the boat takes you there.

Hanauma Bay would be a good option...that's near Waikiki. Turtle Bay is on the north shore so depending on the time of year you're going it may be a little rough. I don't know if I'd suggest Molokini Crater in Maui since the water can be very choppy.

I had a horrible first experience snorkeling on our honeymoon. My husband loves to snorkel so on our past cruise I told him I'd give it another try. That was a much better experience. If you're still getting use to the idea of snorkeling, I would go with Hanauma Bay, Shark's Cove, Kuilima Cove (near Turtle Bay), or something similar where it's a more relaxed go at your own pace experience, rather than being dumped out in the middle of the possible rough ocean like at Molokini. If you do well at Hanauma Bay or something similar before your cruise & are hooked then I would plan to try something like Molokini.

Here is a great website for snorkeling in the Hawaiian Islands. http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com

If your staying at Turtle Bay Resort they have a nice bay for snokeling. When we stayed there they had snokel gear you can use, first hour is free each day with your stay. We are novices and found the site perfect for a couple of 60+ and an hour was all the snokeling we needed each day:)

DT

I'd suggest investigating buying your own (returnable) prescription mask beforehand, since an ill-fitting mask can ruin everything, and rental masks are always a crapshoot. I have an inexpensive Body Glove mask that works well for my face and accommodates a range of corrections. Don't know if they still make 'em, though.

If your staying at Turtle Bay Resort they have a nice bay for snokeling. When we stayed there they had snokel gear you can use, first hour is free each day with your stay. We are novices and found the site perfect for a couple of 60+ and an hour was all the snokeling we needed each day:)

DT

Sounds good, Dakota! You're right, an hour should be enough!

Since you are going to be on the POA which spends 2 days on Kauai, I would recommend snorkeling at Lydgate Park on Kauai. You would need to rent a car but it's not very much of a drive from the harbor. Lydgate has basically a "kiddie pool" for snorkelers. It's an area completely surrounded by reef so the water is really calm and shallow and extremely easy to snorkel with a sandy bottom and very few rocks. You won't find all kinds of exotic sea life but there will be fish and you should be very comfortable there.

Since you are going to be on the POA which spends 2 days on Kauai, I would recommend snorkeling at Lydgate Park on Kauai. You would need to rent a car but it's not very much of a drive from the harbor. Lydgate has basically a "kiddie pool" for snorkelers. It's an area completely surrounded by reef so the water is really calm and shallow and extremely easy to snorkel with a sandy bottom and very few rocks. You won't find all kinds of exotic sea life but there will be fish and you should be very comfortable there.

That's just what we need, thank you!

A good way to acclimate yourself to the breathing is to start a rhythmic in and out breathing through your mouthpiece while you're out of the water (or your face is out of the water). Just pick a reasonable breathe in breathe out rhythm and do it for a bit, then lower your face and continue it. Eventually it becomes automatic.

After you master breathing without sucking in water, the rest is simply a matter of how good a swimmer/floater you are. The NCL Molokini excursion had lots of gear for novices/non-swimmers, from vests to noodles (and I do recommend the neoprene vests as otherwise you cool down way too quickly if you're having fun). They also have a crew member in a kayak in the water with you, so if you feel like it's not fun any more you can just grab a tow rope and they'll whisk you back to the boat.

The turtle area was much choppier the day we went (which was a beautiful day otherwise). I'm a good swimmer and found I had to keep swimming pretty steadily because to stop moving was to drift pretty fast.

Oh, and if you neglect to lotion up the backs of your thighs, expect a really bad sunburn. Kukui nut oil works wonders (and is great as a facial moisturizer, too!) I had a pretty bad burn, and no peeling at all.

A good way to acclimate yourself to the breathing is to start a rhythmic in and out breathing through your mouthpiece while you're out of the water (or your face is out of the water). Just pick a reasonable breathe in breathe out rhythm and do it for a bit, then lower your face and continue it. Eventually it becomes automatic.

After you master breathing without sucking in water, the rest is simply a matter of how good a swimmer/floater you are. The NCL Molokini excursion had lots of gear for novices/non-swimmers, from vests to noodles (and I do recommend the neoprene vests as otherwise you cool down way too quickly if you're having fun). They also have a crew member in a kayak in the water with you, so if you feel like it's not fun any more you can just grab a tow rope and they'll whisk you back to the boat.

The turtle area was much choppier the day we went (which was a beautiful day otherwise). I'm a good swimmer and found I had to keep swimming pretty steadily because to stop moving was to drift pretty fast.

Oh, and if you neglect to lotion up the backs of your thighs, expect a really bad sunburn. Kukui nut oil works wonders (and is great as a facial moisturizer, too!) I had a pretty bad burn, and no peeling at all.

Thanks, Daisy, I may practice at the gym!

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a car in Maui, drive to Olowalu, know more as the 14 mile marker to all the snorkel crowd. There is NO surf to fight, 1 or 2 inches. Yes, you read that right. Its south of Lahaina about 20 minutes, or from Kahului, drive over the pali (curving mountain road on the way to Lahaina), see the mile markers on the right side of the road. When you reach the 14 mile marker, you will see many cars parked off the road, there is shade under the trees, a kind of black/brown sand and no waves. Its a marvelous place to learn the sport and some of the best coral on the Island as its so protected by the outer reef.

I live here in Maui for the winter, and visit this site whenever it is windy or rainy anywhere else on the Island. You can even snorkel in the afternoon with NO problems.

If you have a car in Maui, drive to Olowalu, know more as the 14 mile marker to all the snorkel crowd. There is NO surf to fight, 1 or 2 inches. Yes, you read that right. Its south of Lahaina about 20 minutes, or from Kahului, drive over the pali (curving mountain road on the way to Lahaina), see the mile markers on the right side of the road. When you reach the 14 mile marker, you will see many cars parked off the road, there is shade under the trees, a kind of black/brown sand and no waves. Its a marvelous place to learn the sport and some of the best coral on the Island as its so protected by the outer reef.

I live here in Maui for the winter, and visit this site whenever it is windy or rainy anywhere else on the Island. You can even snorkel in the afternoon with NO problems.

Ahhh, perfect, thanks so much! I will add that to our itinerary!

Ooooh, that's a good reminder. I've been known to have "racing stripes" on my body from not being attentive enough when applying sunblock! :eek: Must be diligent!

You probably would be better with a guided trip, compared to going to some of the lacking- so so areas. I also would suggest you invest in your own mask.

I am a long time, snorkeler and when I go to Hawaii, I'm there for at least 3 weeks. I just about snorkel every day.

Cpt Cook via a boat tour, would be my suggestion for a top choice. (Oahu is probably the lackluster location of the Hawaiian Islands). I kayak there, which is easy and allows me a day trip. It is quite protected, and with it guided that extra assurance.

I go to Hanauma Bay, if I have extra time. It's "ok" but does have a lot of rocks- with a sandy bottom, that isn't real deep. The reef isn't real healthy and way too many people, ignore the "rules" that aren't enforced. Last trip- I saw several people walking on top of the ledges, due to lower tides, splashing all over, stirring up the sealife etc. I actually "hid" a turtle I was watching for over an hour, - in a rock alley, chewing on "stuff", because I didn't trust some of the clowns around me.

Beach snorkeling is excellent on Lanai Hulopo'e Bay, easy to include with a boat tour or just taking the ferry.

I do snorkel Molokini 2-3 times every trip- with a range of sea conditions. It is deep water that you need to keep track of where you are. Waves can throw you up on the reef wall, but with it guided, added assurance for safety.

I always snorkel with a short wet suit- long sleeves, and with fins- a must.

IF you have doubts, then don't put yourself or others at risk. Snorkeling isn't for everyone.

You probably would be better with a guided trip, compared to going to some of the lacking- so so areas. I also would suggest you invest in your own mask.

I am a long time, snorkeler and when I go to Hawaii, I'm there for at least 3 weeks. I just about snorkel every day.

Cpt Cook via a boat tour, would be my suggestion for a top choice. (Oahu is probably the lackluster location of the Hawaiian Islands). I kayak there, which is easy and allows me a day trip. It is quite protected, and with it guided that extra assurance.

I go to Hanauma Bay, if I have extra time. It's "ok" but does have a lot of rocks- with a sandy bottom, that isn't real deep. The reef isn't real healthy and way too many people, ignore the "rules" that aren't enforced. Last trip- I saw several people walking on top of the ledges, due to lower tides, splashing all over, stirring up the sealife etc. I actually "hid" a turtle I was watching for over an hour, - in a rock alley, chewing on "stuff", because I didn't trust some of the clowns around me.

Beach snorkeling is excellent on Lanai Hulopo'e Bay, easy to include with a boat tour or just taking the ferry.

I do snorkel Molokini 2-3 times every trip- with a range of sea conditions. It is deep water that you need to keep track of where you are. Waves can throw you up on the reef wall, but with it guided, added assurance for safety.

I always snorkel with a short wet suit- long sleeves, and with fins- a must.

IF you have doubts, then don't put yourself or others at risk. Snorkeling isn't for everyone.

Great feedback! We're planning to snorkel in three of the locations you mention when we are on board the POA in May. For Hanauma Bay, you noted that it is shallow and rocky - what kind of footwear do you recommend for someone without their own fins? We have masks & snorkels, but not fins. I'm assuming we can borrow fins on the Molokini and Capt Cook boat tours.

Great feedback! We're planning to snorkel in three of the locations you mention when we are on board the POA in May. For Hanauma Bay, you noted that it is shallow and rocky - what kind of footwear do you recommend for someone without their own fins? We have masks & snorkels, but not fins. I'm assuming we can borrow fins on the Molokini and Capt Cook boat tours.

I have my own fins, and snorkel over the rocky areas, or around the "boulders".

Yes fins are available on the tours. There are many operators who go to Molokini- last year I did 4 trips with a deeply discounted vendor- found in a Maui magazine. Worked out just fine.

At Kona we took a snorkle excursion (booked independently) on the Fairwind II. Took us to Kealakekua Bay and the Captain Cook monument. Although I have been snorkeling many times, it is not something I am particularly comfortable with; I'm claustrophobic. I was determined to do this though, so I got in the water with my mask and fins and began to snorkel. One of the crew members saw my discomfort and offered me a viewbox to use. It is about a 12 x 12 piece of plexiglass surrounded by plastic or wood and you rest your head against the frame and watch the fish go by. It was great! No claustrophobia and I could see beautifully. I strongly recommend the Fairwind II. Oh, and by the way, our lunch was good too. We still had time to walk the streets of Kona afterwards. It was a great day. I would count myself among the scaredy cat novices.

Archived