Maine Lobster in the MDR on Eurodam?

cwbabe48

Don't recall HAL doing it, but.......

Link here http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/portland/Cruise-line-agrees-to-buy-Maine-lobsters/-/8865266/16227634/-/icj97fz/-/index.html

PORTLAND, Maine —A cruise ship line has agreed to buy nearly two tons of lobsters when one of its ships visits Maine in September and October.

U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree said Wednesday that Celebrity Cruises has agreed to purchase about 3,800 pounds of lobster when the Celebrity Summit visits Bar Harbor and Portland. The 965-foot ship carries more than 2,000 passengers.

Pingree wrote to the CEO of Celebrity Cruises this month urging the cruise line to buy local Maine lobster during its Maine port calls. She says she's also heard from another cruise ship company that's talking to local lobster suppliers about buying lobsters when its ships visit Maine.

Maine fishermen have been receiving rock-bottom prices this summer because of a strong harvest that has resulted in an oversupply of lobsters.

Two tons for 2000 pax would mean two one-pounders for every man/woman/child. I don't think they could sell that much for extra cost, which means they must be using in place of the spiny lobsters. Or spreading it over several cruises.

We have sailed Canada/NE route b-to-b, summer after summer, and have never been offered Maine lobster for an additional cost or not.

We have all we want of lobster ashore at lunch on that itinerary and it is wonderful.

I do recall once reading here on CC that either Maasdam or Eurodam had as a special treat gotten a large shipment, one time, one cruise and chefs made a special treat for guests. I don't remember the details but only read of it one time and never experienced it.

We have sailed Canada/NE route b-to-b, summer after summer, and have never been offered Maine lobster for an additional cost or not.

We have all we want of lobster ashore at lunch on that itinerary and it is wonderful.

I do recall once reading here on CC that either Maasdam or Eurodam had as a special treat gotten a large shipment, one time, one cruise and chefs made a special treat for guests. I don't remember the details but only read of it one time and never experienced it.

Yes, Sail -- it was this past summer this happened on the Maasdam. Apparently you had booked a different B2B. The lobstermen had 'surplus' lobsters if you can believe so the ship bought a bunch -- there was no extra charge.

I don't remember, and I've been sailing HAL since 1988 that there has ever been an extra charge in the MDR -- other cruiselines yes but not HAL.

The first time I cruised Canada/New England, I came back from Bar Harbour on the tender with the live lobsters for that night's dinner.

I have seen them loading live lobsters each time we've been on the Canada/New England cruise, though sometimes they have been Nova Scotian lobsters. The lobsters are not always advertised as fresh Maine lobsters, but I have no doubts that on that route they are fresh caught/bought lobsters. (Maine and Nova Scotian lobsters are the same lobsters, from the same waters, it's just a question of the colour of the buoy on the trap and where the lobsters are ultimately brought ashore.)

It is highly likely those lobsters were special treat for Officers/Crew..... not for 1,250 guests. :)

The formal night lobsters that are served in MDR are the same as always offered on all the ships.

We do not care for HAL's lobster tails.

First they are very tiny.

HAL uses way too much salt to cook them.

And they are overcooked. By the time they are plated in the kitchen, brought to the serving area, sit under the dome until the waiter has time to get them to the table -- they are still cooking under that dome. Thus they become tough and chewy.

Thankfully we have a great restaurant here at home where we can get our lobster fix.

We were on the Maasdam last summer on the Voyage of Vikings, there was 2,000 lb. of Maine lobster bought in Bar Harbor to be enjoyed by passengers only not the crew.

Someone said no crew could have lobster? ;)

I suppose if Captain or Hotel Manager asked for lobster, they likely would be served it. :D

Great the guests had 2,000 lbs of lobster. Hope it was cooked perfectly and all enjoyed. Did they steam the whole lobster and serve it that way or just the tails?

We never order the lobster on HAL ships. We have a lobster pound ten minutes from our house where we've gotten our live lobsters for 35+ years. We call, order and they are waiting for us at time we request. They are still swimming when we call.

Towards the end of the 42 day Maasdam October-November cruise, a seafood buffet was presented one of the TA sea days by the pool for lunch. Maine lobster was featured, chilled,whole or split, just claws, charcoal grilled halves or tails, however you desired, and as much as you desired and there were hundreds and hundreds of whole lobsters to pick from. Snow crab legs, and very large peeled shrimp were also available, in addition to the usual salads and other items on most buffets. There was also some roasted whole pigs, which were perfectly cooked and very succulent. The inside lido buffet was also open as usual. I noticed when they started closing the buffet outside down, there were still plenty of lobster still available.

The lobster tails we were offered on other occasions were from spiny lobsters, but they were presented perfectly cooked.

Archived