Time back to the airport?

JLDMED

it would be tight. the ship can't let anyone out until customs says so, and then you go through customs. I usually get through in about 20-30 minutes, 30 minutes to the airport puts you at best possible time to the airport of about 9am, However, if theres any issues, you'd be chancing it. I take evening flights so I have time to stop for lunch, and at a fedex store to send things back using my companies account (with permission) to save having an extra bag, or overwieght fees (flying spirit airlines, they will nickle and dime those unprepared, if you're prepared, the flights are the cheapest of anyone)

I've been able to make an 11am with about 30 minutes to spare but only by usiung the platinum self assist debark - meaning we were one of the first ones off the ship just after 7am. 10:15 would be really iffy. If the ship is even slightly delayed with debark you won't make it. You would need to really hustle, do self assist, clear customs, grab a cab, check your bags at MIA (which involves one line to tag them and then hauling them elsewhere to drop off) then hope the security lines aren't too long. If your gate isn't nearby you may also need to then take the train to your gate.

My experience with MIA is that it's not getting there on time that's the problem, but the multiple lines once you are there plus the distance to the gate that slow things down. I personally wouldn't risk anything earlier than 11am. Carnival's "official" earliest flight time is 11:30 from MIA.

I wouldn't risk it that early, you can easily be delayed if people that need to go through immigration decide not to show up at the appointed time, we had a big delay once at Tampa because of this. Until everyone that needs to go through immigration has done so the ship isn't cleared.

You can probably be off the ship (in most cases) by 8am...the real problem is going to be at the Miami airport. Don't know who your air carrier is but mine was American and the cab dropped us at the very end of the terminal building which was quite a trek to the domestic checkin line.

Then the line to get through security had at least 300 people in it. So many that we left that line and walked down to terminal E check in where the line was only about 25 people long.

I agree that the real issue is at the airport itself. MIA is (IMO) just terrible. Long lines and very disorganized - now granted every time I've been there has been on American. Perhaps other lines are better. The other thing to consider is that there are a ton of cruisers debarking from several ships all heading to airport at the same time in Miami.

Bottom line though you could probably make it but I wouldn't waste a second getting off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused:

The penalties for missing your flight - change fees, new fares, delays, etc. - are severe! :eek: Do yourself a favor and book something closer to or after noon.

Good luck! :)

I wouldn't even consider trying to make a flight that early. I would be too stressed out and that's no way to end a relaxing cruise vacation. Do yourself a big favor and book a later flight--at least 2 hours later. It might cost a little more but it's worth the peace of mind.

Better to be safe than sorry and take a later flight in my opinion. You never know what is going to happen that has nothing to do with the ship, people going through customs, or getting back on time.

I just sailed out of the Port of Miami in January and upon our return, which was right on schedule with no onboard delays, there was a vehilce fire within the port grounds, but a ways from where the Destiny was docked :eek:. However, because of responding emergency crews and equipment, along with an abundance of precaution, customs closed the port to debarking passengers for about an hour. So, even with all things going right with the ship and schedule, no one was allowed to debark the ship on time and debarkation was delayed due to this external event.

Miami is not the quickest port to get through customs wise and is my least favorite sailing port. But the bottome line is it's your call. I simply am not a risk-taker so any flights out before about 11:30 - 12 noon are just not in my consideration.

Best to you in your decision and happy sails!

Personally I wouldn't chance it since the port is Miami,,,they are notoriously slow at immigration and for a 10:15 flight you have to be at the airport COUNTER by 9:15...we sailed out of Miami once and I booked a noon flight...plenty of time right...WRONG!!..someone didn't show to ship immigration which delayed the debarkation..we got to the airport kiosk at 11:02am and they would not board us...flight was cut off at 11 and there were no exceptions made and believe me we pleaded and begged...so instead of getting home around 5pm that night we got home at 1am the next day..and might I add to 2 ft of snow which had to be cleared inorder to get into the garage...:eek: I'm sure our neighbors enjoyed the sound of the snowblower clearing a path..NOT...so for us, come October when we once again will sail out of Miami..our return flight will be 2 or later for sure :D Good luck with what ever you decide to do and have a great cruise.

I agree that the real issue is at the airport itself. MIA is (IMO) just terrible. Long lines and very disorganized - now granted every time I've been there has been on American. Perhaps other lines are better. The other thing to consider is that there are a ton of cruisers debarking from several ships all heading to airport at the same time in Miami.

Bottom line though you could probably make it but I wouldn't waste a second getting off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely plan for long lines and misinformation at MIA. They tell you to stand in a line, you get to the fron and find out you're in the wrong line type thing.

I used to think FLL was much better until two weeks ago when I stood in the world's longest security line. It wrapped around the entire terminal and took over an hour to get through. I'd probably be leery of early flights either place now.

Archived