Barcelona Taxi fares 2013

In 2013, Barcelona taxis have made a slight change to the way they calculate their rates.

The main change that affects tourists, particularly cruisers, is that where the charge for going to or from the airport was €3.10 it is now €4.20 and to go to or from the cruise port was €2.10 it is now also €4.20.

Taxis are still metered but are now based on these new rates.

Details of the new rates can be found here

For comparison, you can see the previous chart here

Please bear these changes in mind when reading old posts here on CC about Barcelona taxi costs.

If you want to know how much a taxi fare will be you can get an estimate here

If you use this calculator for the cruise port put Moll Adossat. Also, don't forget to put the time of day you will be travelling as that may affect the fare.

Carol -

Thanks so much for everything you do on the Spain boards. Your posts are a wealth of information. I have been lurking here getting as much info as I can for my trip in Oct/Nov.

Have a great day!!!!

I am glad you appreciate it. I just want everyone to love Barcelona as much as I do.

Can and do the taxis take 3 pieces of luggage. I noticed that on the taxi chart it has luggage as free and mandatory. Does that mean the driver cannot refuse luggage? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Can and do the taxis take 3 pieces of luggage. I noticed that on the taxi chart it has luggage as free and mandatory. Does that mean the driver cannot refuse luggage? Thanks in advance.

They will take it if there is room. It will depend on the size of the bags and how many passengers there are.

There are some larger taxis that can take more, especially at the airport and the port. You may have to wait longer though for one to become available.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOzai862iCVt1hUmR6gNzORy2cDORRreXJLCIm32RU_yYok03CfA

Edited by English_in_Spain

Thanks for the information. I printed off the taxi rate page you posted to take with us and have posted the link to our roll call.

Hate to be a pain but any thoughts on the Avenida Palace hotel or Pulitzer hotel.

My preference between these would be Hotel Pulitzer. It is slightly more expensive but the location good - just off Plaza Catalunya.

In 2013, Barcelona taxis have made a slight change to the way they calculate their rates.

The main change that affects tourists, particularly cruisers, is that where the charge for going to or from the airport was €3.10 it is now €4.20 and to go to or from the cruise port was €2.10 it is now also €4.20.

Taxis are still metered but are now based on these new rates.

Details of the new rates can be found here

For comparison, you can see the previous chart here

Please bear these changes in mind when reading old posts here on CC about Barcelona taxi costs.

If you want to know how much a taxi fare will be you can get an estimate here

If you use this calculator for the cruise port put Moll Adossat. Also, don't forget to put the time of day you will be travelling as that may affect the fare.

Thanks Carol, yet another extremely useful post.

Just checking, but I assume the extra charges for the cruise port and airport are per trip, not per person.

As to credit cards...some of the taxis do accept Visa/MC but you need to check before you get inside. As to the fare increases, it can be a bit complicated for some folks to try and calculate taxi rates since they do use meters. But bottom line is that it should cost 30-35 Euros between the airport and the port for a taxi. Keep in mind that most taxis are pretty small cars and they can normally handle 2 with luggage. But if you have luggage and more then 2 it might be time to look for a van/taxi.

Hank

Looking at the website you listed and others, it appears the taxi fare from Pl. Catalunya to the airport with our three bags should be about 25 euros....am I correct?

It would depend on day of week, time of day and the amount of traffic.

If it is a weekday between 8am and 8pm the basic fare is about €23. For every 10 minutes waiting time (includes waiting in traffic) is €3.50

It should not be more than €25-30.

This is just an estimate. You pay what is on the meter. If you think the taxi overcharges you, ask for a receipt.

It would be more in the evening or at weekends.

Regarding fares, it can get a bit complicated which makes it easier for a taxi to rip off customers (we have had a few try). The drivers are permitted to charge extra for luggage (I believe the first piece is free) and they do this by pushing a button on their meter. Each push of the button adds to the fare and they push that little thing very fast. They also charge the extra fee for taking you to the port (this is correct). And another issue is that they taxis have different fares for day/night and holidays. These are on their meter as a number code (such as 1 and 2) and depending on the code the driver selects it changes how the meter determines the fare. We once had a taxi try to charge us the night fare during the daytime. Bottom line is that we have traveled all over the world and taxi drivers everywhere seem to know tricks to enhance their income.

Hank

Regarding fares, it can get a bit complicated which makes it easier for a taxi to rip off customers (we have had a few try). The drivers are permitted to charge extra for luggage (I believe the first piece is free) and they do this by pushing a button on their meter. Each push of the button adds to the fare and they push that little thing very fast. They also charge the extra fee for taking you to the port (this is correct). And another issue is that they taxis have different fares for day/night and holidays. These are on their meter as a number code (such as 1 and 2) and depending on the code the driver selects it changes how the meter determines the fare. We once had a taxi try to charge us the night fare during the daytime. Bottom line is that we have traveled all over the world and taxi drivers everywhere seem to know tricks to enhance their income.

Hank

Did you see my original post with a link to the new fare structure?

There is no longer an extra charge for extra luggage. There are now 3 time zones T1, T2 and T3. It is much easier now to determine which time zone you are in. Surely, taxis all over the world charge more at night and at weekends?

Every taxi has this chart on display, in English as well as Spanish and Catalan.

If the passenger is aware of the way the fare is calculated they will know (within a few Euros) what the fare will be. That is why I started this thread.

As I said previously. If you think you have been overcharged, ask for a receipt. You can then report the driver for overcharging and if he has overcharged he will lose his licence.

I have never been ripped off by a Taxi in Barcelona. I have found them some of the most helpful taxi drivers in the world.

• 1 month later...

I was reviewing this post for our upcoming trip, and thought I'd bump it up for the benefit of those who haven't seen it before. Notice that there is a link to help you calculate the fare from Point A to Point B, so you'll have a good idea what a trip should cost. Once again, many thanks to Carol for all the useful info you provide!

• 3 months later...

English in Spain, thank you for your help. I wonder if you would humor me just a little more. We'll be arriving in Barcelona mid week at about 1:30 p.m. Our destination is the Hotel Curious, just off La Rambla and south of Placa Catalunya. I'm not sure if I'm reading the chart correctly... what's messing me up is the part that states 20 euro (airport exit: minimum amount for one service including all supplements). Does this mean that if the charges are less than 20 euro (I'm sure it won't be), we would still be charged 20 euro?

So, here's how I'm calculating (if I am correct):

T1 - Start of trip = 2.05 euro

.98 euro per k x14 = 13.72 euro

Airport to/from start of trip = 4.20 euro

Total = 19.45

Is this correct?

Thanks!

English in Spain, thank you for your help. I wonder if you would humor me just a little more. We'll be arriving in Barcelona mid week at about 1:30 p.m. Our destination is the Hotel Curious, just off La Rambla and south of Placa Catalunya. I'm not sure if I'm reading the chart correctly... what's messing me up is the part that states 20 euro (airport exit: minimum amount for one service including all supplements). Does this mean that if the charges are less than 20 euro (I'm sure it won't be), we would still be charged 20 euro?

So, here's how I'm calculating (if I am correct):

T1 - Start of trip = 2.05 euro

.98 euro per k x14 = 13.72 euro

Airport to/from start of trip = 4.20 euro

Total = 19.45

Is this correct?

Thanks!

You need to allow about €3-4 waiting time for being stuck in traffic This would bring your calculation to €23-24. That is about the level of fare you should expect. As a rough guide, I always say allow €25-30 from the airport to Central Barcelona.

You are correct. If the fare is less than €20 they will charge you €20. This really only applies to short journeys near the airport. It is to compensate the drivers who, having waited in the taxi queue, get someone who only wants to go to a local airport hotel.

If you want to calculate the approximate cost of a taxi fare go to my Barcelona information pages then under 'useful Barcelona links' you will see a link to 'Taxi Fare calculator'. Do remember that these fares are only approximate. You should pay what is shown on the meter.

As I have said before it is a good idea, at the start of the journey, to tell the driver you will be wanting a receipt. They must provide one. If the fare is wildly different to what you were expecting you can report the situation.

In fact the IMT (Instituto Metropolitano del Taxi) encourage passengers to report overcharging to make things fairer for everyone.

You can find the IMT website (in English) here

Be aware that the link on their website to the taxi fare chart still takes you to the 2012 chart. This is now out of date. The chart to use for 2013 is the one I linked to at the start of this thread.

With regard to charging for luggage, I contacted the IMT recently and they assured me there are no longer any extra charges for carrying luggage or for more than one passenger.

HI Carol,

Could you please tell me in Spanish "I want a receipt please"

Thanks...I like to travel armed with the necessary phrases!!

Carole

Me hace un recibo, por favor (pron = may hathay oon retheebow por favor)

or more simply

Un recibo, por favor

Carol: Thank you so much for this info and the calculator. There are four of us staying at the Hotel Continental Barcelona and will need to get to the Royal Princess; on a Friday. How do we reserve a vehicle large enough to accomodate our group including the luggage?

Carol: Thank you so much for this info and the calculator. There are four of us staying at the Hotel Continental Barcelona and will need to get to the Royal Princess; on a Friday. How do we reserve a vehicle large enough to accomodate our group including the luggage?

We stayed at Hotel Continental Barcelona and because there were 16 of us we were skeptical of hailing 3-4 cabs on the street as a group. Instead, we asked the hotel about the best way to get to the port, and they called to arrange transport for us. They arranged for three 7-passenger cabs, and we got 5-6 people plus luggage in each, with a set price of 25 euros each (no extra for waiting time, extra luggage etc). We maybe (?) could have done it cheaper in smaller DIY groups, a few of us at at time as we found street cabs, but this way we were all able to stay together, it was very convenient, and the per person cost was not much different than the cost of the metro plus blue shuttle bus. If you're interested, ask at the reception desk - they arranged it for us just a few weeks ago.

We stayed at Hotel Continental Barcelona and because there were 16 of us we were skeptical of hailing 3-4 cabs on the street as a group. Instead, we asked the hotel about the best way to get to the port, and they called to arrange transport for us. They arranged for three 7-passenger cabs, and we got 5-6 people plus luggage in each, with a set price of 25 euros each (no extra for waiting time, extra luggage etc). We maybe (?) could have done it cheaper in smaller DIY groups, a few of us at at time as we found street cabs, but this way we were all able to stay together, it was very convenient, and the per person cost was not much different than the cost of the metro plus blue shuttle bus. If you're interested, ask at the reception desk - they arranged it for us just a few weeks ago.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much. The four of us just became six. :D