Bridge Visit

james king

Thanks smoothcruiser,

I will have to look out for that one! I am really excited now, only a month away now. These boards are facinating to read and gives a really helpfull insight into what to expect on board ship.

Regards

James

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james king:

Hi Everyone,

Just a "Quickie" does anyone know if it is possible these days to visit the bridge of any of the seabourn fleet (Legend in particular)as I really want to have a look!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look in the daily Herald for "Bridge tour" (not to be confused with Bridge lectures) or I've also seen it as "Navigational Bridge Tour".

It's a pity they do not do tours below decks though. I would love to see the engine room but I was told that is not allowed under any circumstances.

R&R

Just visit with your Captain and I'm sure he will extend a personal invitation to go up and "look around" his bridge!

The Seabourn Yacht Captains are very personable and I've found very hospitable as to personal requests or as the poster above mentioned, look in "The Herald" as to "Bridge Tour"......and join your fellow shipmates.

Happy Sailings!

MB

Hi Martha! How are you?

Yes, the Seabourn Captains are very, very, accommodating. In February, in So. America, my wife and I were invited to Capt.T.T.Sorensen's table the night before sailing into Rio. During dessert, I asked him when he would be on the bridge the next morning. He indicated he would be there after 5:30AM. Before I got to ask him if we could join him, he invited all at the table to join him. My wife and I did; it was fun sailing past Sugarloaf as daylight approached. We did leave the bridge as the "pilot" boat approached the ship for boarding.

They also schedule at least one bridge tour each cruise, usually on a sea day. Galley tours are also scheduled.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martha B.:

Just visit with your Captain and I'm sure he will extend a personal invitation to go up and "look around" his bridge!

The Seabourn Yacht Captains are very personable and I've found very hospitable as to personal requests or as the poster above mentioned, look in "The Herald" as to "Bridge Tour"......and join your fellow shipmates.

Happy Sailings!

MB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Martha,

Thanks for the advice! I shall ask very nicely and hopefully get an invitation to the bridge.

I used to work as a Purser aboard a large ship called the Oriana (British ship) and my facination with ships is still very much alive, even though I am now a land lubber!!

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to my cruise on Legend, and how helpfull and informative the people are on this board.

My only wish is that I could join you guys on your transatlantic crossing, it sounds so fun, but unfortunatley I a) Don't have the funds, b) I am on the other side of the world in OZ.

icon_wink.gif

Best wishes

James

James~~~~You will LOVEEEE The beautiful Legend! I know your Captain will be happy to give you a "personal" guided tour of his bridge!

Don't forget to take your "rubber closet door stop".....in the "Cruise tips" thread we all agree we can not do without the stop! (I buy my 2 to-a-pack stops at WalMart)

And remember.....if you have any culinary favorites, just ask your Cheffy~~~~I always request a standing order of escargot for my dinner appertizer. The food, service, entertainment are ALL 6*~~~~~And the fun is a 10*! A real "Floating Ritz!"

Have a wonderful, safe voyage!

MB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roger & Rita:

It's a pity they do not do tours below decks though. I would love to see the engine room but I was told that is not allowed under any circumstances.

R&R<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was very surprised on a recent cruise on the Pride to be invited by the Chief Engineer to visit the engine rooms and take photos. It wouldn't even have occured to me to ask. Indeed, he told me that he usually says no to requests even from other ship's captains. It really was fascinating and I readily agreed not to post any of those pictures on the internet. If I put on any more of my slide shows on the ship, he was happy that I can show them to other passengers. The only picture which, when I asked, he said I shouldn't take was one of a plan of the engine equipment. A great experience.

Completely to change the subject, did another kind of bridge visit today. Went to Tower Bridge this afternoon to watch the Pride sail in for the start of her London season. I saw some good friends from where I was standing, including Torild and Helena and also Colin, the Tour Manager. Another great experience but left me quite depressed that my next cruise isn't for another 9 months. icon_frown.gif

Regards

Norm

------------------------------

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;15;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  March 15 2005 - Seabourn Pride Transatlantic FLL to Lisbon

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;8;29;00;0;00&timezone=GMT-0000  August 28 2005 - Seabourn Pride Transatlantic London to NY

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif

[This message was edited by norm2002 on 06-05-04 at 04:22 PM.]

Archived