Yachtsman's Caribbean and Flavors of the Caribbean Review: 19Jan-02Feb 2013

Love.II.Cruise

• 1 month later...

Your review was excellent. I was on the Windsurf in January. It was fabulous. Reading your review reminded me of all the wonderful things that happen on the ship. It is the best cruise that I have ever taken. I take a lot of cruises. Nothing compares to the sails being let out and the quietness. I would like to do another windsurf cruise this winter.

Your review was excellent. I was on the Windsurf in January. It was fabulous. Reading your review reminded me of all the wonderful things that happen on the ship. It is the best cruise that I have ever taken. I take a lot of cruises. Nothing compares to the sails being let out and the quietness. I would like to do another windsurf cruise this winter.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the review! I agree with you about the sails being let out - it is such a wonderful experience!

We'd like to do Costa Rica with Windstar, eventually... for now we have Italy and Asia in our sights.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This review was so wonderful, and so detailed, that we will likely change our vacation plans for next February! We were planning on a repeat Celebrity cruise out of San Juan, but were toying with Windstar. Your review and wonderful pictures gave us a real sense of what our week would be, and this is it! I've dropped in on this board from time to time but nothing has given a fuller picture of the activities, the venues, the food...and it all looks great! Thank you so much!

If you should return to this thread I wanted to let you know we cancelled our Celebrity cruise and we booked the Windsurf today for 2/15/14! You should get a commission!

• 2 weeks later...

Really like your reviews on the Windsurf.

We are sailing on the Windstar in December 2013 and I was wondering if you were able to see if you could walk from the beach on Pigeon Island, St. Lucia to the Marriott that looks to be really close with a longer beach area.

Any info would be appreciated.

First, thanks to everyone who liked the review!

Really like your reviews on the Windsurf.

We are sailing on the Windstar in December 2013 and I was wondering if you were able to see if you could walk from the beach on Pigeon Island, St. Lucia to the Marriott that looks to be really close with a longer beach area.

Any info would be appreciated.

As far as I know there is a Sandals nearby and I think you could easily walk to it. I don't know of a Marriott (unless the just bought Sandals?). I do not know if the resort allows guests to use their facility. I would contact the hotel themselves (there may be a small charge).

Sorry. I did mean Sandals (not Marriott) and Google maps show Sandals to be right next to Pigeon Island beach.

St. Lucia website states that all beaches are public.

We just want to walk the beach.

Thanks.

It may or may not be public, but I don't remember the Sandals beach being accessible from the outside. There is a beach on the other side of the 'island' that is a short walk.

This stop is normally the sight of the beach BBQ, and most of the beach here is reserved for Windstar's exclusive use. There is another small beach area that some cruise lines use for a 'shore excursion'. Assuming you are attending the beach BBQ, and they bring ashore all the water toys, it is best to go ashore early if you want a chair convenient to the BBQ area in the shade. When you get off of the tender if you turn left instead of right, there is a small bar restaurant that has free wifi for their "customers."

Edited by sealord

The beaches are indeed public "BUT" there is a fence between the small beach that Windstar uses and the one at Sandals. It is built such a way to prevent access from the beach side:mad:. On the photo, the tender drop you off at a small beach. The one where the lounger are is the next one on top. The third beach at the top is adjacent to the Sandals.

I emailed Sandals last year in Dec. about fees to use "their" beach and never got an answer.

BTW, we were among the first to disembark from the Windsurf and some locals were renting the lounger to the Windstar client. Don't get fooled, they are free to use for Windstar guest.

0665-Wind-Surf_Dec2012.jpg.c8ee0b57264fdd71f4ef2819c63930db.jpg

If you walk down the lane towards the atlantic side of pigeon island you can exit the fenced in area and go to the right and walk the Sandals beach. We walked the length of it and also wandered through the resort a little to take a peak. The place you exit the fenced in area is the entrance/exit to the park and you just need to show your windstar id to get back in.cleardot.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we are going on the yachtsman's cruise feb. 15. this will be our third windsurf and first in 12 years.

are all of the stops on tenders or do they dock at any of the stops.

is there a gala captain's night dinner or something like that we should be sure not to miss in the dining room?

whay was your favorite alternative dining room.

thanks for the great, informative review.

steve

we are going on the yachtsman's cruise feb. 15. this will be our third windsurf and first in 12 years.

is there a gala captain's night dinner or something like that we should be sure not to miss in the dining room?

steve

I think these were all tenders. I believe the other itinerary docked once. It is docked of course in St. Maartin. No gala, there is a big BBQ, Candles is fun if it does not rain, but we thought AmphorA, the main dining room, was the best venue.

steve

On the Yachtsman's Cruise we tendered at every port except embarkation/disembarkation.

There was no gala captain's night dinner. But the BBQ dinner is awesome… I recommend going up on the upper deck to find a table in advance (under canopy in case it rains).

Candles was our favorite dining venue. Do not miss the Wind Surf Crew Show… get there early for a good seat. ;)

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

thank you for your comment. we travel often other than cruising and find the means of travel is as important as the places you are going to. when cruising, we like to mix up the lines, sizes of ships, and itineries to keep cruising interesting. this upcoming windsurf cruise is one of the most interesting ones because it allows us to get off the ship and enjoy some of the islands' nightlife which you otherwise can't do unless you are on a land tour. as we have gotten older (young 60's) we have started leaning to smaller, but casual dress lines like winstar, oceania, and star clipper.

your review has been very helpful in selecting the itinerary and getting a feel for the onboard and shore options.

steve

• 2 weeks later...
thank you for your comment. we travel often other than cruising and find the means of travel is as important as the places you are going to. when cruising, we like to mix up the lines, sizes of ships, and itineries to keep cruising interesting. this upcoming windsurf cruise is one of the most interesting ones because it allows us to get off the ship and enjoy some of the islands' nightlife which you otherwise can't do unless you are on a land tour. as we have gotten older (young 60's) we have started leaning to smaller, but casual dress lines like winstar, oceania, and star clipper.

your review has been very helpful in selecting the itinerary and getting a feel for the onboard and shore options.

steve

I understand the idea of trying and mixing up the lines to try new things and keep things fresh.

I'm glad the review was helpful and I hope you have a wonderful cruise!