Carnival Triumph - When will it be back in service?

WBHB

We've been thinking about the damage that was done, and trying to estimate how long it will take Carnival to get the Triumph back in shape for sailings.....From what I hear, basically all the cabins need to be gutted out as well as most anything that has carpeting or soft surfaces. Mechanical items can be addressed quickly I would believe, but getting craftsman to tear out walls, reinstall, new carpeting, painting, etc....I am guessing about 5-6 months for all of that.

Thoughts? We are interested in booking in mid June, but I am hesitant to do so (ie book the Triumph) thinking that if we get cancelled, there won't be any lower cost options available in mid-June at a later date.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm coming up with that timeline comparing how long it takes a home builder to finish a home. Pouring the concrete, framing, installing brick and insulation and maybe the sheetrock can be done quickly, but the detail of customizing walls, baseboards, woodwork, paint, etc, etc seems to take twice to three times as long as the basic structural work. 2 months just seems to me a very agressive timeline to get all of that type of work done.

We're just trying to weigh the options right now.

Well, I wouldn't carve that date in stone just yet. They are probably still evaluating what work will be done at this point.

This.

April is a rough estimate. Hopefully they are right but don't be surprised if they come back and say it will take longer once they figure out everything that needs to be done.

I'd book the Magic in its place if you can. They say the middle of April, but things can change. They haven't even fully decided where all the repairs are taking place.

"It's likely that Carnival will make repairs on the ship in Mobile, where the investigation is taking place, Cuty said. However, a Carnival spokesman says no decision has been made on a schedule or location for repairs."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/17/travel/cruise-ship-fire/?c=&page=2

They could decide to get the engines operational in Mobile and then send the ship to Freeport to finish the renovations, or another ship yard. The Splendor got pushed back a couple times if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

They could decide to get the engines operational in Mobile and then send the ship to Freeport to finish the renovations, or another ship yard. The Splendor got pushed back a couple times if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

You are correct. The Splendor took three months and IMHO, did not suffer the interior damage the Triumph did. They were able to restore most of the toilets within a short period of time, approx 24 or more hours, but eventually, most were back on line.

I think the April date is really pushing it.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently decided to cruise, again, with Carnival. The plans were made and all the payments too. Then I get an email from a good friend, " your ship is on fire!". I thought he was pulling my leg.

Sadly not.

So we are waiting for some word as to when we will sail. We are booked for the May 11th sailing. The last word I got from Carnivasl was all trips on the Triumph were canceled up to April 13th.

I have read this thread and there seems to be a mixture of optimism and pessimism as to when the ship will sail. Either way, the kids and I figure the worst that could happen is they will move our date beyond May 11th (or refund all our expenses, which is probably not going to happen). Since air travel is involved I took a moment to contact the airline to see if I our tickets could be used for some other date. As expected. we have a year from date of purchase to use the plaane tickets.

Long and short....'When' we sail on the Triumph, it will more than likely be in much better shape than it was before the incident, and we are looking forward to the cruise.

This.

April is a rough estimate. Hopefully they are right but don't be surprised if they come back and say it will take longer once they figure out everything that needs to be done.

Agreed. Even when some within the org are asked directly, they are not committing to anything.

And if they finish earlier, they will probably be offering very low fares to fill up a ship on such short notice.

So it can go either way.

We recently decided to cruise, again, with Carnival. The plans were made and all the payments too. Then I get an email from a good friend, " your ship is on fire!". I thought he was pulling my leg.

Sadly not.

So we are waiting for some word as to when we will sail. We are booked for the May 11th sailing. The last word I got from Carnivasl was all trips on the Triumph were canceled up to April 13th.

I have read this thread and there seems to be a mixture of optimism and pessimism as to when the ship will sail. Either way, the kids and I figure the worst that could happen is they will move our date beyond May 11th (or refund all our expenses, which is probably not going to happen). Since air travel is involved I took a moment to contact the airline to see if I our tickets could be used for some other date. As expected. we have a year from date of purchase to use the plaane tickets.

Long and short....'When' we sail on the Triumph, it will more than likely be in much better shape than it was before the incident, and we are looking forward to the cruise.

Welcome! :)

We're also booked May 11th with hopes of no canceling in our future...you should join our roll call! :D

So from what you know about how long it takes to build a house and not having been on the Triumph to see what "damages" were done and having never worked in the ship building industry, you were able to determine that instead of the early May time table that the experts and workers have given, its going to take longer?

I was on the Triumph. The crew were already cleaning and preparing for repairs on Wednesday and Thursday (last 2 days of the voyage). The cabins won't need to be "gutted". Some will need carpeting replaced I'm sure and some repairs to bathrooms will be needed (worst case they don't book passengers in those cabins) The fire damage (according to expert witness reports I have seen from the Coast Guard and others) say that the damage was to only one of the engines and was not that bad. If the Halon fire suppressant system was not depleted and therefor unavailable, they could have started the other engines...But they decided the risk of another fire without a fire suppressant system was too great to do so.

The Splendor's damage was much worse as far as the mechanics went as their fire was caused by an electrical shorting in the generator which forced them to replace and check miles of power wiring and controls after replacing the generator.

I think the May date is safe. Would I rush out and book my make up cruise on the first sailing? No.. but only because I think they will still be doing some repair work. As soon as they get clearance on the ship for sailing from the Coast Guard and NTSB they will want to start sailing again since it costs them a lot of money for every sailing they have to cancel.

I am betting WAAAY longer than anyone of us or at Carnival is currently estimating.

For starters, nothing can be touched until the NTSB & Coast Guard finish their investigations. NEVER heard of an NTSB investigation taking less than 6 months.

Then, all the law suit lawyers will go to court to get an injunction prohibiting Carnival from doing anything so their experts can examine everything: each in turn.

Personal guesstimate: 12-18 months.

I am betting WAAAY longer than anyone of us or at Carnival is currently estimating.

For starters, nothing can be touched until the NTSB & Coast Guard finish their investigations. NEVER heard of an NTSB investigation taking less than 6 months.

Then, all the law suit lawyers will go to court to get an injunction prohibiting Carnival from doing anything so their experts can examine everything: each in turn.

I would take your bet in a heart beat. Your thinking is WAY off track. First the NTSB is not the lead investigators on this, the Bahamas Maritime Authority is lead as the ship is not US flagged. Also the amount of time they need to physically inpsect the ship is limited. They may spend months reviewing photo's, reports, etc to build their final conclussion however that will not stop the repair process. Nor will any of these stupid law suits stop the ship from being repaired or sailing. It's absurd to think they are going to get injunctions for a cruise that didn't go their way. Nobody died here and no judge is going to stop a multi million dollar ship from being repaired because someone didn't enjoy their vacation due to this incident. Let's step back and look at this objectively. The Splendor had a similar incident, there were investigations, lawsuits and repairs to be made. Splendor repairs were much more intensive requiring a greater degree of challenge for the shipyard. Splendor was still repaired and sailing in a matter of months.

Carnival has alot of money and high paid lawyers every week the triump is not sailing cost them a ton of money they will get the repairs done asap and back in service... If mobile cant do it they will get the ship engines working and sail her to freeport where they can use 10,000 workers to get the work done in a few weeks... 12 to 18 months lol 2 or 3 MAX

My small opinion is that Carnival would not be booking cruises if they are not sure when repairs will be done. Why would they take the risk of having to deal with a bunch more irate people, and process even more refunds ? My bet is that on April 18 , I can pull up the Galveston cam, and there she'll be, loading passengers.Also, the April prices aren't that great..We were on it in Oct for $1018 total, for a premium balcony, and have the same cruise booked for this Oct for the identical price..People would be surprised if they could look at what's going on with the repairs right now,and see how much gets accomplished each day..Just my 2 cents worth..:)

Looking forward to meeting u folks. Just look for the 'old guy' with the white legs, in jamms and OU flip flops. Oh and the extreme rum drink with half a pineaple and orange hanging off of it.

The NTSB investigation is not dependent upon the ship being berthed, they'll continue it far baying the time that Triumph sails again. That said, I can't imagine that she'll be ready to sail by the projected date. But I also can't imagine Carnival subjecting itself to more bad press, refunds, etc etc etc so they must know what they're dong.

I'm coming up with that timeline comparing how long it takes a home builder to finish a home. Pouring the concrete, framing, installing brick and insulation and maybe the sheetrock can be done quickly, but the detail of customizing walls, baseboards, woodwork, paint, etc, etc seems to take twice to three times as long as the basic structural work. 2 months just seems to me a very agressive timeline to get all of that type of work done.

They won't be tearing out any walls. They are steel not sheetrock. Ripping out carpet, painting, replacing damaged furniture won't take that long. A 2.0 makeover only takes a couple of weeks.

I was wondering how many people on here are ship builters ? They will probably have 3 shifts working around the clock to do the work. It does not take very long gut out the rooms that need to be gutted, then cleaned, then painted, carpet layed, then the furnture moved in with hundreds of workers. A 2.0 job like thats going on with the Sunshine that has shipfitters that does cutting, welding and alot of other work that goes with that, will get the job done in 49 days. I'm booked on the 4/22/13 cruise and i am getting ready for it. I'm not worried that the ship will not sail out on 4/18/13.

As far as the investigations, it only takes about a week on board the ship to do that. The 6 months is back at their office doing all the paper work that is needed.

Oh well that's my 2 cents on it.

I'm coming up with that timeline comparing how long it takes a home builder to finish a home.

Pouring the concrete, framing, installing brick and insulation and maybe the sheetrock can be done quickly, but the detail of customizing walls, baseboards, woodwork, paint, etc, etc seems to take twice to three times as long as the basic structural work. 2 months just seems to me a very aggressive timeline to get all of that type of work done.

Working three eight-hour shifts per 24 hrs.?

Tearing out the bad stuff before she even got to the shipyard?

This is not like building a house during daylight hours. ;)

Every day Triumph does not work for its keep, it's losing the company a few million dollars. :eek:

That thing has to be up and running a.s.a.p. even if it takes four shifts per 24 hrs.

Archived