Cost Cutting in Last 5 years

DanL

I agree the back is no fun, and worse than it used to be. Seats are the same but there's less legroom (pre Carter deregulation, I hear that what the back used to have is what "first class" has now) and no food.

Then again, air fares are (adjusted for inflation) near their lows and it is demonstrated, at least in the U.S., that passengers in the back choose the lowest air fare (American tried "more room through coach" but no one was willing to pay more). I guess same with cruises, fares are as low as they have ever been, probably not even adjusted for inflation? Then again, coach air travel never claimed to be premium while HAL pretends to.

Well, I am no expert, but air fares from/to Charlotte are horrible. What I just paid to go to FLL in November used to fly you to California years ago. I am not lamenting for the past, but it is what it is today. If you are flying from a big market like NY or Chicago, you may get better fares. As for us, we just have to live with the high fares and crappy conditions in coach. I don't book thru discount websites (like Priceline), but thru the airline website, so I know I am not getting the cheapest fare out there, but I like the "security" (if there is any) of booking with the airline itself online. Even if I paid for more legroom I would still have to put up with all the nonsense that goes on back there. Believe me, getting there is not half the fun anymore. At least not for me (IMHO). Thanks for your input.

Charging $10 for Canaletto, when we sailed the Noordam in Sept, 2011, it was no extra charge.

At least for now we have towel animals - last Sept. on Ruby Princess that was deleted, probably took too much time for the room stewards to make them in the evening. Another little thing, but we missed it.

Frankly, if there is one thing I can do without, its the towel animals. I can understand it for the first couple of days of the cruise or special occasions, but having them every night for the 41 days of my last cruise was "over the top." As you indicated, it is time consuming for already over-tasked room stewards.

Frankly, if there is one thing I can do without, its the towel animals. I can understand it for the first couple of days of the cruise or special occasions, but having them every night for the 41 days of my last cruise was "over the top." As you indicated, it is time consuming for already over-tasked room stewards.

Many cruise lines have opted not to furnish towel animals - but not for the reasons you might guess.

The amount of extra towels needed to provide towel animals for all passengers on Ruby Princess comes to an investment of $80,000 per year.

But it doesn't stop there.

Washing all those extra towels costs nearly that much again every year (producing fresh water costs the cruise lines $6 per ton), in addition to creating so much more waste water and pollution.

But the best reason for stopping the towel animals is all the time it WOULD take the stewards if they made them fresh every night for you. Many stewards do not have that much time to do it, so they re-cycle them from day to day and cruise to cruise. That means the people who were sick in the cabin down the hall a few days ago or last week - who played with those towel animals while they were quarantined - are now passing their ilness on to you via those adorable creations the cabin steward decided to re-cycle.

IMO, the towel animals for the first couple of nights are fine. After that, the novelty has worn off and they're a waste of time and the energy to wash all the towels.

Seems to me an easy problem to solve.

Many cruise lines have opted not to furnish towel animals - but not for the reasons you might guess.

The amount of extra towels needed to provide towel animals for all passengers on Ruby Princess comes to an investment of $80,000 per year.

Washing all those extra towels costs nearly that much again every year (producing fresh water costs the cruise lines $6 per ton), in addition to creating so much more waste water and pollution.

But the best reason for stopping the towel animals is all the time it WOULD take the stewards if they made them fresh every night for you. Many stewards do not have that much time to do it, so they re-cycle them from day to day and cruise to cruise. That means the people who were sick in the cabin down the hall a few days ago or last week - who played with those towel animals while they were quarantined - are now passing their ilness on to you via those adorable creations the cabin steward decided to re-cycle.

WHY do you permit that? (my underline)

You tell us you are a Hotel Director and have been for years. IF you, apparently, know your stewards are doing that, is it not up to you to stop it? That's a pretty serious thing you have published on an internet message board IMO .... to write that stewards are knowingly permitted to spread Noro Virus?

Why do we go through the Code Orange routine? Is that all a 'hoax'? Shenanigans? Just another way to hide cut backs? Two days of not offering many things hence savings in blind spots? No cheese, fruit, crackers display at lunch in Lido, for example.

Whether what you say is true or not, No steward will be putting any of those foolish towel animals in our cabin again. I've asked in the past for them to not be left and in the future I'll make my wishes more clear.

WHY do you permit that? (my underline)

You tell us you are a Hotel Director and have been for years. IF you, apparently, know your stewards are doing that, is it not up to you to stop it? That's a pretty serious thing you have published on an internet message board IMO .... to write that stewards are knowingly permitted to spread Noro Virus?

Why do we go through the Code Orange routine? Is that all a 'hoax'? Shenanigans? Just another way to hide cut backs? Two days of not offering many things hence savings in blind spots? No cheese, fruit, crackers display at lunch in Lido, for example.

Whether what you say is true or not, No steward will be putting any of those foolish towel animals in our cabin again. I've asked in the past for them to not be left and in the future I'll make my wishes more clear.

Thank you for posting. You got to it faster than I. Sail - When you make your "no towel animal" wishes clear ... I hope you explain why to see what the response it. Thanks!

Well, I am no expert, but air fares from/to Charlotte are horrible.

That says it all: You are flying out of a US fortress hub. Pay accordingly for non-stop flights but connecting flights on competitors might be cheaper. May be cheaper to fly out of GSO or other nearby airports.

That says it all: You are flying out of a US fortress hub. Pay accordingly for non-stop flights but connecting flights on competitors might be cheaper. May be cheaper to fly out of GSO or other nearby airports.

Isn't that the truth!! USAir holds us hostage here. And the new American will do so as well, I am afraid.

I have also tried United on connecting flights and their prices are really high too. Delta may be cheaper on a connection, but then you have to be routed thru that very lovely and fascinating airport at Atlanta :rolleyes:.....ugh! I guess I have decided it was better for my sanity to pay the non-stop fare to USAir...!

From what I observed over the course of our last cruise (on HAL) all of the bedding and towels where placed and sealed in a bag, while still in the quarantined room. Over the 20 days that we were in Code Red we saw this several times. So I don't believe that they would make an exception for the towel animals!:rolleyes:

However, if someone were sick but not quarantined and the stewards did reuse the animals, it would still be a very unsanitary practice.

Thank you for posting. You got to it faster than I. Sail - When you make your "no towel animal" wishes clear ... I hope you explain why to see what the response it. Thanks!

Did you really expect to get to it faster than someone with these stats:

p.s. I read BMuzz's post as indicating that is no longer done on his ships.

I am horrified to read of this practice. I can't really believe it, but no more towel animals in my cabin.

We just unwrap our towel art and use it to wipe down our balcony rail in the mornings or just unwrap it and throw it on the bathroom floor. No way it can/will be reused. I'd guess it takes less time to throw together a monkey that to move it, store, it transport it and reuse it than to just fold a new one. The least effort is human nature and I'd bet that if I did it every day it would take 5 seconds to just make a new one rather than tote and old one around and try and fluff it to make it look new.

Just sayin'

Sail, good sage advice. :) but you know what? If I start worrying about a possible reused elephant or monkey which I HIGHLY doubt is reused and even if I thought it was and touched it then I'd best just stay at home. I've caught wild colds on the plane from Africa, slept in NASTY dirty airline seats just to get to my cruise, eaten street food in Venezuela, Morocco you name it. Sat in taxi's in Canada that make me yearn for that airline seat.

If you look hard enough you can find a million unsanitary reasons that will keep you up at night. I work at a car dealership and there is NOTHING nastier than getting in a customer's vehicle and feeling a sticky steering wheel...or kid vermin, or split milk in 100F on the back seat next to an old sock in a rubber boot stuck to dog hair.

Honestly IMHO the thought of a reused towel animal is child's play. I must have the immune system of a storm trooper.

I won't even mention the dirty diaper under the drivers seat or the dog poop! :p

Some folks are lucky to have a heartier immune system than other people. Some people have health problems they don't want exacerbated by a case of Noro. Each to their own. For me, washing my hands is so simple, I'd be in the cabin so why not take a moment and wash?

Whatever works best for you but try to remember your immune system may protect you but if you go out and about with 'soiled hands' you could be exposing others to those viruses.

Just something to think about.

I fully agree one could drive themselves being nutty germophob and we have to reach a reasonable middle ground somewhere. I'm not lunatic clean but I take common sense precautions.

Of course I agree with the hand washing protocol, its good practice for anyone and everyone to do their best to stay healthy. I was highly aware of the importance of doing that while on the Eurodam last week based on the previous code red not only for me but my fellow passengers as well. Airports and airlines are major breeding grounds for sickness, much more than cruise ships IMHO. I think the cruise lines do a much better job of keeping public spaces clean than their counterparts.

My point is that lets not go overboard no pun intended about towel animals when if you have immune system concerns or issues. They are not your primary concern.....

Agreed that we mostly agree :) I think the cruise lines do a great job and Hal from what I've seen does a great job. All I've seen is clean clean clean, wipe wipe wipe, and sweep sweep sweep. When judged next their taxi, airline and hotel counterparts I truly think they excel in their commitment to our health and safety. Its just not in their best interests to have a sick ship-the toll it takes on the crew and guests is just not worth it.

That being said-the day if and when it comes that my immune system is such that I cannot safely travel regardless of the medium I will not. I just fail to understand how one can ignore the dirty airline,airport,taxi enroute to your cruise and then concern yourself about washing your hands on a cruise ship or a towel animal. The concern should start way before you embark....then wash wash wash.

Based on what I know I never leave home without my nasal irrigator-that's how my immune system is like a storm trooper.

so, where do they store these used and re-used towel animals? our stewards left the door to their "office" open frequently and the room was pretty barren. i don't recall seeing a mountain of monkeys or their friends.

I've never seen 'stored' towel animals. I think they probably reuse the ones in your cabin to make the next one and since they all disappear on the last night they all go to the laundry, or zoo bath depending on your view point.

I've never seen 'stored' towel animals. I think they probably reuse the ones in your cabin to make the next one and since they all disappear on the last night they all go to the laundry, or zoo bath depending on your view point.

Based on his postings, BruceMuzz seems to have nothing but contempt for the passengers that sail on "his" ships. He does seem to make many inflammatory statements. I would take most of what he says with a humongous grain of salt.

Archived