"Authentic" food in Cozumel

Palehose13

I will be in Cozumel soon and am renting a vehicle to tool around town. I am looking for good local fare dining suggestions. I have been to non-tourist Mexico before (Colima) and am comfortable venturing out of the tourist trap areas.

I have not booked any excursions, so if anyone has some "must do/must see" suggestions for my day in Cozumel, I am open to those as well!

Thanks!

I recommend El Moro - not too far from downtown: http://elmorocozumel.com/

If you plan on driving to the east side, check out Chen Rio. There's a small beach just north of the restaurant with a small sheltered bay where you can swim. Don't attempt to swim past the rocks out into open water - the rip currents can be deadly...

Cheers, P:)

Since you'll have a car and not dependent on taxis, there are a number of options in San Miguel (which is the town) both around and away from the Plaza. I'd recommend away from the Plaza for more localized dining.

But around or near the Plaza you have Casa Denis and Plaza Leeza, two long time restaurants specializing in Yucatan flavors as well as other dishes. Just off the Plaza on Calle 3 and Ave 5 is Sabores, where you walk through the kitchen to a garden patio.

For truly localized experience try one of the loncherias or cocina economicas. Downtown that starts with the small shops ion El Mercado on Salas between Ave 20 and 25. Or Las Flamitas on Avenida 25 (coral colored building), known for its Yucatan food especially the Sopa de Lima and the fish. Tonitas a small loncheria off Salas between Ave 10 and 15 serves a special dish each day (pozole on Thursdays for example) and a small list other regional dishes.

But heading toward the east side (away from the plaza) is the best seafood place on the island, San Carlos Pescaderia off Ave 50 Bis between Calle 3 and 5. It's actually a local fish market and they do a lot of takeout but have nice tables in a little garden. They speak English. Bit tricky to find but worth the effort, especially if you're heading on out to the east side.

Speaking of which, on the east side, when you get to the end of the transveral road and can only turn right, there's a Sr Iguana's tha thas a decent burger and good fish tacos. Skip Mezcalitos next door. But travel on down the east side for the scenery and stop at Coconuts for a drink (food is tourista oriented) and if hungry go on down to Chen Rio for seafood or Playa Bonita for ceviche gorditas or just continue toward the lighthouse and stop at Bob Marley's Rasta Bar for a drink and their ceviche. Then if you have time go straight tot he lighthouse and eco-park and see the crocodiles and climb the lighthouse stairs. Coming out of the gate, make a left and you're on the road back to the piers or town.

Thanks!

crewsweeper, you just wrote something that got my attention...Pozole!!! It's been too long since I've had good pozole.

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but Los Otates has been recommended to me many times. On avenida 15 - sounds like they have a pretty good menu including pozole and tacos al pastor. also brain and other head meat tacos, which I hear go quickly.

although with a car, I would definately head to the east side. I could hang at Rasta's all day, every day. :D

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but Los Otates has been recommended to me many times. On avenida 15 - sounds like they have a pretty good menu including pozole and tacos al pastor. also brain and other head meat tacos, which I hear go quickly.

Sometimes in summer season they're not open for lunch, though. But if you're eating there, its a short walk over to the Michoacan ice cream parlor on Calle 1 sur between Ave 10 &15. Great flavors like mango and chilis or and good coconut ice cream.

I have read so many great things on San Carlos Pescaderia. Do you know if they are opening on Mondays now. For some reason I always get to Cozumel on Mondays and I understand they are close. Once again will be there on a Monday.

I have read so many great things on San Carlos Pescaderia. Do you know if they are opening on Mondays now. For some reason I always get to Cozumel on Mondays and I understand they are close. Once again will be there on a Monday.

I can't tell you having never been there on a Monday. But I think Camilo's on Ave 5 and Calle 2 Norde(north east side of the Plaza) is open on Mondays. They usually ahve good seafood. No English was spoken here last time I was there, but you order easily enough.

Archived