Carnival Pinnacle - Fact or Fiction?

This video has been around for a while, since maybe 2006. I'd say it was a remote possibility before 2008, now it'll never happen. The industry has changed.

I see talk about it going back to at least 2006, though I don't think the video was created back then. I saw a reference to a video in 2008, but the link to the video was bad.

edit: I guess talk goes back to at least 2004, here. Though that talk was about a ship of 170,000-180,000gt.

I'd say it was a remote possibility before 2008, now it'll never happen.

Why do you think it will never happen(NOT necessarily the ship in that video, but a truly innovative ship in Carnival livery)? The Pinnacle project was Carnival's response to Royal's Genesis project (which did become a reality as the Oasis class).

There's a market for these large, innovative ships as evidence by Royal ordering a third Oasis class ship and NCL building the Breakway and Getaway. Carnival choosing NOT to play is a different story.

Why do you think it will never happen(NOT necessarily the ship in that video, but a truly innovative ship in Carnival livery)? The Pinnacle project was Carnival's response to Royal's Genesis project (which did become a reality as the Oasis class).

There's a market for these large, innovative ships as evidence by Royal ordering a third Oasis class ship and NCL building the Breakway and Getaway. Carnival choosing NOT to play is a different story.

Carnival made a conscious decision in the mid 2000's to get out of the "world's largest ship" race, and the 2008 financial collapse put the final nails in the coffin of any such ideas for them. Since then they've produced exactly one ship class upgrade with the Dream class which is really just a marginal stretch upgrade from the Conquest class. The next yet to be named ship class is only a 5000 GRT upgrade from the Dream and I'll be shocked if it looks significantly different from Destiny, which is the template for everything since except the specialized Spirit class. Though I do suspect it will resemble the upgraded Sunshine on the inside as I suspect that's the overall design direction carnival is heading: more refined decor and multiple dining venues. Carnival avoids the cutting edge in ship design because that costs money, and Carnival focuses on the soft product (service) rather than the hard product (massive cutting edge ships with "wow" factor).

And just so it's clear this is not a criticism, it's an honest assessment of carnival's business plan. I make a conscious choice to sail with Carnival precisely because I like that they focus much more on service rather than physical gimmicks. When I'm on a cruise my favorite shipboard activity during the day is reading in a deck chair facing the ocean. Most everything else is just added fluff for me.

I may not happen, but they could if they wanted to.

Twenty years ago the Oasis looked like science fiction.

Agreed, nothing on the Pinnacle concept is beyond Carnival's reach, but they have chosen a different path.

• 1 month later...

Archived