Oxygen paperwork requirement for Carnival

dresehand

My aunt will be traveling with us and will be bringing along her own portable concentrator. I believe it is an Ellipse (spelling?). With the airlines she is required documentation of some sort from her doctor. Does Carnival require the same? We tried asking customer service but their answer back was confusing. It sounded that if we had to use liquid that it would have to be delivered by an approved company but if we used our own portable that no paperwork was needed but we are not sure. Does anyone know?

The following copied directly from Carnival's Website :

Oxygen

Guest using Oxygen or other breathing apparatus are responsible for traveling with their own supply of Oxygen and medications. Guests need to bring enough Oxygen to last the duration of the cruise; oxygen supply onboard the vessels are for emergency use only.

If you choose to hand carry your oxygen, packing oxygen cylinders and/or tanks in your luggage is strictly prohibited, as is putting them through security x-ray machines. Please hand-carry your oxygen machines (BiPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, Nebulizer, etc.) and not place them in your checked luggage.

The Medical Center is equipped with oxygen for emergency use ONLY. If you will require the use of oxygen during your cruise, you must arrange for an adequate supply to be delivered to the ship on your sailing date. (Likewise, all guests undergoing CAPD (Peritoneal Dialysis) must arrange for the delivery of solutions and supplies.) Please contact Guest Services once onboard for proper storage of your oxygen. All guests are responsible for the pickup and delivery of their oxygen. Please have your medical supply company contact us, otherwise port clearance may not be granted.

It would be most helpful for you to carry with you a copy of your medical records (e.g., a list of your medical conditions, allergies, names and dosages of your medication, a copy of your EKG If applicable and the name and contact information of your physician).

If you need additional information, please contact us specialneeds@carnival.com

I travel with my own POC and have never had a problem with any of the cruise lines other than the lack of electrical outlets to plug it into at night. We bring our own power strip along with the power cables for the oxygen concentrator but last cruise ended up having to plug it in on the opposite side of the cabin from the bed and stretch the power cords across the floor at night... Not the safest but it worked.

I do carry a copy of the standard letter from my doctor telling anyone who needs to know that I use oxygen and the make/model of my machine; the flow rate and when I need to use it. Both of my Resprionics units are approved for airline use and sometimes they check the letter, sometimes they don't. Once on Carnival I think it was I had checked some box about travelers with special needs and when we boarded they sent me directly to the customer service desk to make sure I didn't need anything special.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...
I travel with my own POC and have never had a problem with any of the cruise lines other than the lack of electrical outlets to plug it into at night. We bring our own power strip along with the power cables for the oxygen concentrator but last cruise ended up having to plug it in on the opposite side of the cabin from the bed and stretch the power cords across the floor at night... Not the safest but it worked.

I do carry a copy of the standard letter from my doctor telling anyone who needs to know that I use oxygen and the make/model of my machine; the flow rate and when I need to use it. Both of my Resprionics units are approved for airline use and sometimes they check the letter, sometimes they don't. Once on Carnival I think it was I had checked some box about travelers with special needs and when we boarded they sent me directly to the customer service desk to make sure I didn't need anything special.

Enjoy your cruise!

My wife has very recently been put on oxygen 24/7. It's all new to us. We have a Celebrity cruise scheduled next month and not sure if we should go or cancel. Your input may help us decide.

Are you using both a large concentrator and a portable?

If so how do you bring the large concentrator aboard?

Although she can walk short distances I'm concerned about the rigors of boarding, lifeboat drill and debarking. On board she generally should be OK but could use a wheelchair for these activities. We don't have wheelchair. Will Celebrity provide one?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

I'll post this on the Celebrity board too.

I am boarding my ship early. I am bringing a POC. We have early flight to Miami and don't know where to hang out with luggage & POC. My TA called Celebrity and they will be waiting for me when I go to the ship and we will board early. You should probably do the same thing. This is the first time for me and POC. I only use it at night, so far. I was considering a small POC (4lbs) but so expensive either to rent or buy. I'm taking POC on plane with me, it counts as a carry-on. It only weighs 17lbs. It has retractable handle like luggage. It is an Inogen Solo 2 I don't know what they will do when we leave ship in Rome. I am going private limo to Rome. I would alert Celebrity about a wheelchair.

The lifeboat drill is indoors now.

If you are flying, I would use wheelchair assistance in the airport. We are.

Bon Voyage!

Retired Educator, thanks for the info on power strip. My cabin has the sofa near the bathroom, don't know if that will make any difference. I don't know if I need Dr. note for ship. I better call Celebrity and find out. My cruise is very near.

I am boarding my ship early. I am bringing a POC. We have early flight to Miami and don't know where to hang out with luggage & POC. My TA called Celebrity and they will be waiting for me when I go to the ship and we will board early. You should probably do the same thing. This is the first time for me and POC. I only use it at night, so far. I was considering a small POC (4lbs) but so expensive either to rent or buy. I'm taking POC on plane with me, it counts as a carry-on. It only weighs 17lbs. It has retractable handle like luggage. It is an Inogen Solo 2 I don't know what they will do when we leave ship in Rome. I am going private limo to Rome. I would alert Celebrity about a wheelchair.

The lifeboat drill is indoors now.

If you are flying, I would use wheelchair assistance in the airport. We are.

Bon Voyage!

Retired Educator, thanks for the info on power strip. My cabin has the sofa near the bathroom, don't know if that will make any difference. I don't know if I need Dr. note for ship. I better call Celebrity and find out. My cruise is very near.

Thanks for the information. We're not flying so that's not a problem. Will Celebrity provide a temporary wheelchair?

Thanks for the information. We're not flying so that's not a problem. Will Celebrity provide a temporary wheelchair?

All I know is I would call Celebrity and see what they say. Maybe they will make sure they have enough onboard. They will will probably use wheelchair for boarding early, but you have to let them know you need assistance. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

My parents brought along POC's on our cruise out of San Juan last year. They did have the paperwork and the correct amount of charged batteries for the entire trip, but no one asked for any documentation or to look at the batteries. Some airlines require you to have enough battery backup for the entire length of your trip, including any layovers.

As far as the ship is concerned, Carnival didn't ask for any documentation to bring them aboard but we did notify them prior to our arrival (we also brought along a folding wheelchair to use for my Dad).

Be sure to bring along an extension cord and pack it with your concentrator, otherwise they will confiscate it from your if placed in checked luggage on the ship. If you forget (like we did), just ask your steward and they will bring you a heavy duty one really long bright orange one (that's all they have).

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry your concentrator and batteries with you. NEVER check it in as luggage with the airline or the ship, as it could get lost or damaged.

Although she can walk short distances I'm concerned about the rigors of boarding, lifeboat drill and debarking. On board she generally should be OK but could use a wheelchair for these activities. We don't have wheelchair. Will Celebrity provide one?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

I'll post this on the Celebrity board too.

Celebrity will provide a wheelchair for boarding the ship and disembarking the ship. For on board mobility, you will need to rent a wheelchair from an accepted vendor (Special Needs at Sea or Care Vacations) or bring your own.

The wheelchairs on board are for emergency use - say someone falls and breaks an ankle....they will get use of an onboard w/c.

Honestly, if you think your wife will need any kind of wheelchair on board the ship, rent one.........and make sure it is fitted for your wife. Most onboard wheelchairs are old and clunky...and if not properly fitted would be very uncomfortable.

Thanks to all for your input and concern. I'm prepared to cancel the trip but my wife really wants to go so if I can make happen safely I will.

We have both a large 31# Respironics oxygen concentrator and a more manageable 4# Activox portable.

I have been in touch with Celebrity and they have agreed to offer wheelchair assist at the port for boarding and departure. They were clear that they wouldn't provide a wheelchair for the cruise but we didn't expect or want one.

Still not clear on the lifeboat drill.

We're seeing lots of doctors and hope to know more soon regarding whether or not we should be going. If that's a yes I'll pursue which (maybe both) of our oxygen concentrators we should bring aboard.

If we bring the large one I'll have to figure out how to transport it. Thankfully we'll be driving and no air is involved.

Thanks again to all for your help.

• 1 month later...
Thanks to all for your input and concern. I'm prepared to cancel the trip but my wife really wants to go so if I can make happen safely I will.

We have both a large 31# Respironics oxygen concentrator and a more manageable 4# Activox portable.

I have been in touch with Celebrity and they have agreed to offer wheelchair assist at the port for boarding and departure. They were clear that they wouldn't provide a wheelchair for the cruise but we didn't expect or want one.

Still not clear on the lifeboat drill.

We're seeing lots of doctors and hope to know more soon regarding whether or not we should be going. If that's a yes I'll pursue which (maybe both) of our oxygen concentrators we should bring aboard.

If we bring the large one I'll have to figure out how to transport it. Thankfully we'll be driving and no air is involved.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Just checked this thread so don't know if you have already cruised or not... If you are still in the planning stages here is another hint/suggestion for the muster drill and in case you need it during the cruise: FIRST CONTACT WITH YOUR ROOM STEWARD LET THEM KNOW YOU HAVE SPECIAL NEEDS FOR MUSTERING! They have special procedures for those needing assistance and will make sure you and your wife get where you need to be safely with minimum stress. Knowing where we had to muster in advance for the "drill" allowed my husband and I to take the elevator early and get settled (many ships lack chairs that can accommodate people with breathing or mobility issues), we just let the crew know we didn't bring our life vests with us and if we needed one they had extras. They were very understanding and accommodating. As long as we had checked in so they knew we had attended. I saw them actually pick up one gentleman in his wheelchair fireman carry style and take him up a flight of stairs, where two other crew members were waiting, I assume to repeat the process.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Keep smiling...make them wonder what you're up to!

Thank you for the good information.

It became necessary for us to cancel our cruise. During previous correspondence we had not had a definitive diagnosis. We do now. It is pulmonary arterial hypertension.

This is a rare ideopathic disease and we're learning all we can about it. A lot to digest.

Again, thanks for your and everyone's input. We're into one day at a time mode right now.

The doctor thought it best we didn't go. The medication was new and he was concerned about side effects.

Our was only a one week cruise to Bermuda but we agreed we wouldn't have enjoyed ourselves. We were very concerned about walking even a short distance.

How long have you been diagnosed and what is your medication regime?

If you email me direct I will discuss this with you. It is kit9172atyahoodotcom

Kit

I too have pulmonary hypertension and COPD and just returned from our 3rd of 5 cruises booked for this year. I know the medications I am on are helping greatly and allow me to enjoy many activities again. You can reach me at dabbey@cabbey.net for more in depth information if you wish as well...

Just keep hanging in there.

Dian

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Keep smiling...make them wonder what you're up to!

Archived